Home The TR Podcast 90: Retro gaming and future Fusion
Reviews

The TR Podcast 90: Retro gaming and future Fusion

Jordan Drake
Disclosure
Disclosure
In our content, we occasionally include affiliate links. Should you click on these links, we may earn a commission, though this incurs no additional cost to you. Your use of this website signifies your acceptance of our terms and conditions as well as our privacy policy.
The Tech Report Podcast Date: June 26, 2011
Time: 1:25:00

Hosted by Jordan Drake

Co-Hosts: Scott Wasson, Geoff Gasior, Cyril Kowaliski

Download:
MP3 (61.3MB) | MP3 (83.5MB)

Subscribe:
RSS (MP3) | RSS (M4A)
iTunes (MP3) | iTunes (M4A)

Listen now:

Show notes
After answering two listener mail questions, we walk down memory lane as our editors recall their first encounters with id Software’s Quake, a game that has just recently celebrated it’s 15th anniversary. On the topic of gaming nostalgia, we question whether or not the newly released Duke Nukem Forever lives up to its 15-year-old predecessor. Then, based on a recent TR Friday Night Topic, we round out our gaming discussion by reveling in some of our favorite video game scores.

We spend the second half of this show diving deep into AMD’s new Llano accelerated processing unit. Scott and Geoff examine the hardware and its performance, giving everyone the low-down on how AMD’s latest bid for mobile processor dominance fairs.

Send in listener mail, and we’ll answer on the podcast. – [email protected]

Follow us on Twitter – ScottJordanGeoffCyrilThe Tech Report

Listener mail:

The pronunciation of Llano? – from Jim – (0:01:06):

“You guys all seemed to be pronouncing it LAN-O instead of “lah-noh” or the spanish “yah-naw” (Which is actually the more coming use in the southwest US which has an area called the Llano Estcado). It appears AMD is going with the “lah-noh” pronouncing as seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdPi4GPEI74 I hate people who are technical (I can’t spell for crap) but I wanted to I say something because I get pretty embarrassed being in meetings when I find out I have been saying a new technology’s name wrong for 6 months an no one told me until then. Like the podcast a lot!”

Best GPU for $200? – from Craig – (0:04:22):

“I’m looking to buy a new video card for my PC soon, but with all the different versions of the same GPUs I’m wondering what the best move is. I’m interested in overclocking my GPU, but I don’t know if I should just get a stock-clocked card with a decent cooler, or a factory overclocked one. In your experience, do the factory overclocked cards come with enough additional OC headroom to justify the extra price? FYI, my budget is around $200 after rebates, so I’m looking at the GTX 560 and some of the lower priced 560 Ti’s. From what I’ve seen the Nvidia cards look like they overclock better, but if there are any Radeons in that price range that are good overclockers, I’d love to hear it as well.”

Tech discussion:

15th Quake-iversary triggers a bundle of memories, nerve fibers (0:10:08)- Read more

Lipstick on a pigcop: My take on Duke Nukem Forever (0:22:56)- Read more

Friday night topic: video game theme music (0:34:53)- Read more

AMD’s A8-3500M Fusion APU (0:42:29)- Read more

That’s all, folks! We’ll see you on the next episode.

Latest News

Nvidia’s GR00T Will Make The Era of Humanoid Robots A Reality 
News

Nvidia’s Project GR00T Will Soon Make the Era of Humanoid Robots a Reality

Apple Might Join Hands with Google or OpenAI for Their AI Tech
News

Apple to Join Hands with Google or OpenAI to License Its AI Tools

Apple is reportedly in talks with Google and OpenAI to license their AI chatbot for iPhones. The company is actively negotiating with both Gemini (by Google) and ChatGPT (by OpenAI)...

YouTube Launches New Tool To Help Label AI-generated Content
News

YouTube Launches a New Tool to Help Creators Label AI-Generated Content

YouTube released a tool that will help creators easily label the parts of their content that are generated by AI. The initiative was first launched in November 2023 in an attempt...

Ripple Dumps 240 Million XRP Tokens Amid 17% Price Decline
Crypto News

Ripple Dumps 240 Million XRP Tokens Amid 17% Price Decline

Crypto Expert Draws A Links Between Shiba Inu And Ethereum
Crypto News

Crypto Expert Draws Link Between Shiba Inu And Ethereum

The Lucrative FTX Bankruptcy Trade and Ongoing Legal Battle
Crypto News

The Lucrative FTX Bankruptcy Trade and Ongoing Legal Battle

Bitcoin (BTC) Price Set to Enter “Danger Zone” – Time to Back-Off or Bag More Coins?
Crypto News

Bitcoin (BTC) Price Set to Enter “Danger Zone” – Time to Back-Off or Bag More Coins?