Home The TR Podcast 113: Asian Fusion at 220 PPI
Reviews

The TR Podcast 113: Asian Fusion at 220 PPI

Jordan Drake
Disclosure
Disclosure
In our content, we occasionally include affiliate links. Should you click on these links, we may earn a commission, though this incurs no additional cost to you. Your use of this website signifies your acceptance of our terms and conditions as well as our privacy policy.
The Tech Report Podcast Date: June 17, 2012
Time: 1:33:48

Hosted by Jordan Drake

Co-Hosts: Scott Wasson, and Geoff Gasior

Download:
MP3 (67.7MB) | M4A (91.9MB)

Subscribe:
RSS (MP3) | RSS (M4A)
iTunes (MP3) | iTunes (M4A)

Listen now:

Show notes
We waited a week to bring you this latest episode of the podcast, and the wait was well worth it! Fresh from a week at Computex in Tapei, Geoff brings us a selection of headlines from the international computing trade show. We cover Asus’ Transformer-inspired Windows 8 portables, Intel’s Next Unit of Computing, Lucid’s Dynamix, and more. Then, in Cyril’s absence (he’s recovering from a nasty travel/conference cold), Scott helps round up the latest AMD news from Computex and AMD’s Fusion Developer Summit. E3 is next, with an unusual story from Crytek (free games on the way), and two new tech demos from Epic and Square Enix. Finally, we wrap the show with the new Retina MacBook Pro, Apple’s finger to the pro users, and the next version of iOS.

Send in listener mail, and we’ll answer on the podcast. – [email protected]

Follow us on Twitter – ScottJordanGeoffCyrilThe Tech Report

Listener mail/tweets:

Integrated graphics (0:02:09) – from Daniel:

“Scott referenced the large improvements in Intel’s Quick Sync from Sandy Bridge’s integrate GPU to Ivy Bridge. Would you mind discussing the differences in video/audio encoding comparing a dedicated AMD or nVidia graphics card to Intel’s Integrated GPU specifically in regards to performance. I know there is not a comparison in performance when it comes to gaming, but what about media? The differences are confusing. I recently purchased a new Macbook Pro 13′ knowing I was compromising on the graphics card but my budget was prohibitive.”

Keyboard question (0:07:03) – from Joe:

“I’m in the market for a new keyboard as my current logitech wireless bubble board is going on the fritz (the space key doesn’ always work – sigh). So I’ve started shopping around and I feel like would be up for moving to a newer mechanical unit. However, it seems that wireless mechanical boardsare difficult to source. A quick search on the Egg only turned up one unit – the QUMAX Xarmor U9W with Cherry MXbrown switches and I’m not sure I want brown switches. The other feature I’m looking for in my future keyboard is back lighting – my wife’s laptop has this and it is a lifesaver for work in darker places. The options on back lighting are more plentiful, but none of them seem to have wireless options. Am I looking in the wrong place for this type of unit? Is the slightly intermittent nature of wireless simply an anathema to mechanical board makers? Any other suggestions?”

Twitter questions (0:10:44)

Mason: Preductions: What’s the biggest trend in tech? And where do you see it headed?

Andrew: Are SSD reliability problems a think of the past now, or are there still specific brands/models to avoid?

Sean: I’m wondering what all your thoughts are on high-dpi displays driving (some) Windows 8 adoption (especially among enthusiasts)

Tom: What’s your thoughts on VRAM use at over 1080p? I have a U3011 and only 1.5gb on SLI 480 (don’t worry, they are under water!)

KJ: Availability of AMD laptops with trinity 17/25 watt. AMD win8 tablets. comparison of intel/amd in lower cost laptop sub $700″

Tech discussion:

Computex

Asus’ Windows 8 tablets follow familiar Transformer theme – (0:24:37) – Read more

Asus unveils dual-screen notebook/tablet hybrid – (0:28:59) – Read more

Intel’s 4-inch Next Unit of Computing to cost $400 – (0:31:53) – Read more

Lucid Dynamix increases gaming fluidity on notebook IGPs – (0:36:04) – Read more

We catch up with Asus’ Xonar team – (0:40:09) – Read more

Gigabyte puts server chipset on Sandy Bridge-E motherboard – (0:43:12) – Read more

AMD

First AMD Brazos 2.0 APUs break cover – (0:45:22) – Read more

Future AMD APUs to integrate ARM security tech – (0:47:33) – Read more

AMD, ARM team up to push Heterogeneous Systems Architecture – (0:49:23) – Read more

Desktop Trinity APU models revealed – (0:53:45) – Read more

Motherboard makers say desktop Trinity delayed – (0:55:48) – Read more

Papermaster details new AMD mobile, server roadmaps – (0:56:44) – Read more

AMD shows upcoming dual-GPU card – (0:59:38) – Read more

E3

Crytek to concentrate on free-to-play titles – (1:01:56) – Read more

Tech demos: Unreal Engine 4 and Square Enix Final Fantasy- (1:05:18) – Unreal EngineDirectX 11

WWDC

Apple unwraps 15” MacBook Pro with Retina display – (1:11:53) – Read more

2010 calls Apple, wants its Mac Pro back – (1:23:18) – Read more

Apple shows iOS 6, preps Mountain Lion for July – (1:27:17) – Read more

That’s all, folks! We’ll see you on the next episode.

Latest News

Apple Might Join Hands with Google or OpenAI for Their AI Tech
News

Apple Is Reportedly Planning to Join Hands with Google or OpenAI to License Their AI Tools

YouTube Launches New Tool To Help Label AI-generated Content
News

YouTube Launches a New Tool to Help Creators Label AI-Generated Content

YouTube released a tool that will make creators clearly label the parts of their content that are generated by AI. The initiative was first launched in November in an attempt...

Ripple Dumps 240 Million XRP Tokens Amid 17% Price Decline
Crypto News

Ripple Dumps 240 Million XRP Tokens Amid 17% Price Decline

Popular crypto payment platform Ripple has released 240 million XRP tokens in its latest escrow unlock for March. This comes at a time when XRP’s price has declined significantly. Data from...

Crypto Expert Draws A Links Between Shiba Inu And Ethereum
Crypto News

Crypto Expert Draws Link Between Shiba Inu And Ethereum

The Lucrative FTX Bankruptcy Trade and Ongoing Legal Battle
Crypto News

The Lucrative FTX Bankruptcy Trade and Ongoing Legal Battle

Bitcoin (BTC) Price Set to Enter “Danger Zone” – Time to Back-Off or Bag More Coins?
Crypto News

Bitcoin (BTC) Price Set to Enter “Danger Zone” – Time to Back-Off or Bag More Coins?

SNB to Kick Off Rate Cut Cycle Sooner Than Expected
News

SNB to Kick-Start Rate Cut Cycle Sooner Than Expected