Matrix Orbital's MX2 LCD display

The littlest LCD that could
— 12:36 AM on March 21, 2003

WHEN I FIRST SAW Matrix Orbital's MX2 LCD display screen, I wasn't quite sure what to make of it. The MX2 integrates an LCD display and small keypad into a simple 5.25" drive bay insert that connects to a system using a simple USB port. It's certainly a novel device, but I began to wonder what anyone might actually want to use one for. What might one even want to display on a small, external display? Sure, there are case modders who will buy anything that adds an LCD display and buttons to a case's exterior, but would the MX2 have any practical uses beyond merely looking cool?

After several weeks of testing and fiddling, I'm quite happy to report that it does. On the strength of its software and plug-in support for popular applications like mIRC, Winamp, and Motherboard Monitor, the MX2 manages to be as functional as it is unique. That says a lot, since the MX2 is really quite unique. Join me as I explore the MX2's capabilities. There might be something that this neat little display can do for you.

Like what we're doing? Pay what you want to support TR and get nifty extra features.
Top contributors
1. GKey13 - $650 2. JohnC - $600 3. davidbowser - $501
4. cmpxchg - $500 5. DeadOfKnight - $400 6. danny e. - $375
7. the - $360 8. Ryszard - $351 9. rbattle - $350
10. Ryu Connor - $350

Register
Tip: You can use the A/Z keys to walk threads.
View options

This discussion is now closed.