dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:03 am

i am such a damn hypocrite. I deal with, and try to get people to stop, using alcohol and other drugs as a crutch but I use JD or Capstan Morgan to help me sleep at night. :-? 1/2 a bottle of Tennessee honey and I am entirely too coherent to suit myself.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:09 am

Maybe you should set up an appointment with yourself.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:44 am

Also, I suggested Revolutions as soon as this thread was started (it's probably within the first 10 pages of this thread, even), before the move to phpBB 3, and was told no.

And, for my rule 13 compliance (DYMT is public, this is a post, ergo it fulfills my understanding of the rules - I'd rather not sig it): I am employed by Dell, as a client field services technician. I have close familiarity with some of Dell's business desktop and laptop products because of that, but any opinions that I post on this forum are my own opinions alone, and not those of my employer. If I post something positive about a Dell product, or critical of a Dell competitor's product, that's because that's my own personal opinion (and I'll also post things critical about the Dell product, and positive of the competitor's product if that's my opinion).

I don't think anyone's accused me of being a fanboi for anyone but VW (and nobody's accused me of being a shill for anyone AFAIK), but the rules say I had to get that out of the way, so I did.
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:45 am

bhtooefr wrote:I don't think anyone's accused me of being a fanboi for anyone but VW (and nobody's accused me of being a shill for anyone AFAIK), but the rules say I had to get that out of the way, so I did.

Consider it done VW shill.
tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:47 am

I drank bad milk last night. It didn't actually taste that bad, but the smell. Oh, the smell. And to my defense I had just awoken and wanted a glass of milk. I usually smell the milk every time before I pour it. 2 45am was not one of those times apparently.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:06 am

Eurgh.

I would've upchucked all over the place as soon as the smell got to me. (Then again, that's why I usually don't keep milk around. I use it rarely enough that even a half gallon goes bad before I've used more than a couple cups.)
bhtooefr
Darth Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:53 pm

Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:29 pm

Captain Ned wrote:You can't fix stupid.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/radio-c ... es-really/

Interestingly enough, a local stretch of four-lane divided highway had enough problems with elk getting struck in a particular two-mile stretch that they lined the whole thing with a 20' high wire fence, except for one crossing which is marked with all sorts of motion-activated flashing signs and stripey lines on the road. There are then ramps spaced every quarter-mile along the highway right-of-way so that any animals that wander down the road can escape to the openspace from the highway side, but not the other way around.

I'm not sure if it actually works, because every time I've seen the signs flashing at the crossing, they were obviously tripped by a cyclist who was using the break in the fence to change from the highway shoulder over to a bike path that follows the east side of the highway.

I also wonder who, exactly, specified the Colorado elk crossing sign, which is basically a minor variant of this. Near as I can figure, it translates to "DANGER: Trophy Bull Ahead."
Last edited by ludi on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:33 pm

ludi wrote:I also wonder who, exactly, specified the Colorado elk crossing sign, which is basically a minor variant of this. Near as I can figure, it translates to "DANGER: Trophy Bull Ahead."

The Deer Crossing and Moose Crossing signs here in VT both have Boone & Crockett racks.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:51 am

I always feel gypped with those signs :lol: The number of really impressive bulls I saw living in Colorado could be counted on both hands. I NEVER saw one with a rack like the road signs had.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Perhaps a hunter could explain to me the thrill of killing a large, dumb, blunt-horned herbivore. I've never understood it.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Vrock wrote:Perhaps a hunter could explain to me the thrill of killing a large, dumb, blunt-horned herbivore. I've never understood it.

I'll give you moose, as the only hard part is finding one. Whitetail deer, OTOH, are a true challenge here in VT. They're smart (they know when deer season starts), they're hard to locate, they're incredibly skittish, and they're damn tasty if you finally bag one. Never done so with a rifle, but have 2 under my belt in car season.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:32 pm

I've never hunted yet, but there's a thrill in just seeing a massive bull.
When/if I hunt deer, I'll probably go for a spike buck or doe; they're supposed to taste better. And I like deer meat.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:17 pm

bhtooefr wrote:Eurgh.

I would've upchucked all over the place as soon as the smell got to me. (Then again, that's why I usually don't keep milk around. I use it rarely enough that even a half gallon goes bad before I've used more than a couple cups.)

I drink a gallon in 2 days, tops. I am the milk devour er. Vitamin D whole milk. I make svunt shakes, twice a day. That's over 3K calories in liquid, and not including the breakfast, lunch, and sometimes dinner I eat on top. What sick man, sends babies, to FIGHT ME!?!
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:34 pm

Vrock wrote:Perhaps a hunter could explain to me the thrill of killing a large, dumb, blunt-horned herbivore. I've never understood it.

Correction: large, smart, delicious herbivore.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Interesting article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9606 ... -1066.html

What might have happened had the Saxons won the day 946 years ago today?

EDIT: And as long as we're on the historicity trail, the sound "barrier" was first broken by a piloted airplane 65 years ago today and by a free-falling human today. In the grand scheme of history, October 14 has some chops.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:34 pm

ludi wrote:Correction: large, smart, delicious herbivore.

And so easy to overcook, as it's the leanest meat you'll ever see.

EDIT: This is page 714. Only one human has gone farther without cheating.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:23 pm

Seriously. I ordered a planer from a "reputable" etailer. It was on sale, cool. I place the order, they don't ship. I call them today, a week later. They say "Sorry, we'll check on it". I just got an email that said they're cancelling my order because they are "out of stock" and "don't have an ETA."

Meanwhile, the same item is on their site, 47% more expensive than the sale price I ordered.
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:55 am

Very cool time-lapse video of a lightning strike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1mB5rM8WHU
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:17 pm

holy crap :o
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:47 pm

Friggin sweet. Thanks, jbi!
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Vrock; no need for an appointment, just a vacation :lol: Work gets crazy. I'd say I tie it on about once a month to maybe 2 months, but I always feel a little guilty for doing so.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:08 pm

ludi wrote:

Correction: large, smart, delicious herbivore.

*Snort* Smart? I've seen deer walk across a live rifle range without a care in the world. Deer are a lot of things, but smart isn't one of them.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:20 pm

Vrock wrote:*Snort* Smart? I've seen deer walk across a live rifle range without a care in the world. Deer are a lot of things, but smart isn't one of them.

Down in NoVa where there isn't as much (if any) hunting pressure, I'd agree. Come to someplace like Vermont or Colorado, where deer hunting is so engrained in the culture that hunting pressure is fierce (honestly, there's no point in working during the 2-week rifle season as EVERYONE is at camp) and you'll find whitetails (VT) and muleys/whitetails (CO) to be some of the smartest and most skittish game animals on the planet. It all gets down to environment.

EDIT: If you can find a copy, this is a great read/view.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:08 pm

New Job! Engineer at Medtronic.
SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Postposted on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:21 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:New Job! Engineer at Medtronic.

Hey congrats, I'm actually somewhat familiar with them.
tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 am

My wife's cat decided to drink from the toilet...while I was taking my morning leak. I now have a very wet, kind of smelly, and very angry cat. I guess he didn't watch ghostbusters....don't cross the stream!
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:00 am

SpotTheCat wrote:New Job! Engineer at Medtronic.

Cool beans!
Any idea what you'll be working on? Any projects they said you'd be attached to?
MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:07 am

I've got a friend that works for Medtronic. Does spinal cord monitoring for spinal surgeries. Their IT stuff is pretty out of whack from what he says. Hopefully you can help there.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:37 am

cool! the medical technology field is pretty cool. I get to dabble in it every once in a while as a pc tech at a hospital. We always get asked to fix things waaay outside of our scope, which is pretty cool (sometimes.)
shaq_mobile
Gerbil Elite

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch