dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:19 am

JBI wrote:My hopes in this area were quickly dashed though; they're all kept directly under (and very close to) bright flourescent lights. Every beer I've bought there has been badly lightstruck (skunked), so I don't buy beer there any more.

Did you bring that issue to the attention of a manager? Whole Foods might actually be the kind of place that would listen.
Glorious
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:56 pm

Uh-oh: contrary to popular belief, you really can hurt the Twinkie.

Somebody will pick up the product brand, though. Hostess may have fallen on hard times, but their brands have got to have some profit left in them.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:55 pm

ludi wrote:Uh-oh: contrary to popular belief, you really can hurt the Twinkie.

Somebody will pick up the product brand, though. Hostess may have fallen on hard times, but their brands have got to have some profit left in them.

Hostess is a **** company. In 2004 their workers agreed to a pay cut with the savings supposed to go to major infrastructure upgrades like new equipment etc. Instead, it wasn't and now they are asking for another paycut. I'm glad the workers said no, striked, and I'm glad this garbage company is going under as a result. Hope those at the top are hurting real bad. Jerkoffs.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:00 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:Hope those at the top are hurting real bad. Jerkoffs.

They're owned by venture capital firms now; unfortunately they get their payday either way. In fact, by liquidating they probably get an early payoff, for less effort than it would've taken to turn the company around.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:Hope those at the top are hurting real bad. Jerkoffs.

They're owned by venture capital firms now; unfortunately they get their payday either way. In fact, by liquidating they probably get an early payoff, for less effort than it would've taken to turn the company around.

That's kinda my feeling...

I'm crossing my fingers that someone like Little Debbie's (anyone really) not only buys the brand, but picks up some of those workers in the process.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:22 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:Hostess is a **** company. In 2004 their workers agreed to a pay cut with the savings supposed to go to major infrastructure upgrades like new equipment etc. Instead, it wasn't and now they are asking for another paycut. I'm glad the workers said no, striked, and I'm glad this garbage company is going under as a result. Hope those at the top are hurting real bad. Jerkoffs.

The management's side of the story is that the employee unions strangled the company with unreasonable demands. Which one is right (or at least, less wrong), I'm not in a good position to judge, except to note that (a) these situations are nearly always a two-way street, even if one side is ultimately at fault and (b) a lot of people other than the crews on the banking floor, many of whom had no dog in the fight, will lose their jobs as a result of the skirmish.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:36 pm

And this whole topic is verging on R&P, so please stop here.

Thanks in advance.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:39 pm

Headed out to a birthday (mine and a co-worker's) party at a bar that's walking distance from my house. I see no way this can turn out badly.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:27 pm

idchafee wrote:Headed out to a birthday (mine and a co-worker's) party at a bar that's walking staggering distance from my house. I see no way this can turn out badly.
Enjoy yourself.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:31 pm

Glorious wrote:
JBI wrote:My hopes in this area were quickly dashed though; they're all kept directly under (and very close to) bright flourescent lights. Every beer I've bought there has been badly lightstruck (skunked), so I don't buy beer there any more.

Did you bring that issue to the attention of a manager? Whole Foods might actually be the kind of place that would listen.

I remember when I went to Sea World, back when Anheuser Busch still owned it, they had something called "beer school" you could sign up for free to attend. Basically they gave you a quick education on the different styles of beer and let you sample them, and also talked about freshness (this was back when "born on" dating was something they were pushing hard).

So, at one point they gave us all two samples of Bud, one that was a fresh beer, and one that was skunked. Me and one other guy in the class actually preferred the skunked Budweiser to the fresh Budweiser, and said so. The facilitator of the "class" was not amused. :lol:
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Did they have you sample the 'fresh' sample first or the 'skunked' one? It might make a difference if you had the 'fresh' one first as your taste buds probably thought anything different after that had to be better. :D
BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:12 pm

If I remember, it was more like "here's beer a, and beer b, which one tastes better?" and then they revealed they were both the same beer except one was fresh and one was old and skunked. Honestly they didn't tast too terribly different.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:21 pm

Well, where Budweiser is concerned letting it get skunked actually gives it some flavor, so I suppose I can see where some people might actually prefer it that way... :lol:

This is the "Heineken effect" -- an entire generation of beer drinkers has been conditioned to equate imported beer in green (or clear in the case of Corona) bottles with that aroma/flavor, and have come to accept it as "normal". IT ISN'T SUPPOSED TO TASTE LIKE THAT, DAMNIT!!! :evil:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:23 pm

just brew it! wrote:This is the "Heineken effect" -- an entire generation of beer drinkers has been conditioned to equate imported beer in green (or clear in the case of Corona) bottles with that aroma/flavor, and have come to accept it as "normal". IT ISN'T SUPPOSED TO TASTE LIKE THAT, DAMNIT!!! :evil:

So awful. I for one hate Heineken.

My default beer these days is Harpoon IPA. Always a good time. Not too heavy or too light.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:42 pm

Heineken was a pretty decent beer back in the day if you got one from a closed case (or reasonably fresh on draft). They've dumbed it down over the years though.

A big thumbs up on the Harpoon from me too. IMO it's a little on the light side for an IPA; it's really more of an American Pale. But it's a very good beer. The bar down the street from the office used to have it; when they stopped getting it they saved the tap handle and gave it to me the next time I was there. Guess maybe I was the only one drinking it? :lol: (Harpoon isn't exactly a well-known brand here in IL...)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:20 am

So, at one point they gave us all two samples of Bud, one that was a fresh beer, and one that was skunked. Me and one other guy in the class actually preferred the skunked Budweiser to the fresh Budweiser, and said so. The facilitator of the "class" was not amused. :lol:

Yeah, Bud is...not good. I'm not a huge beer guy to begin with, as it upsets my stomach pretty quick, but Bud and Coors and Miller are all just gross.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:27 am

just brew it! wrote:This is the "Heineken effect" -- an entire generation of beer drinkers has been conditioned to equate imported beer in green (or clear in the case of Corona) bottles with that aroma/flavor, and have come to accept it as "normal". IT ISN'T SUPPOSED TO TASTE LIKE THAT, DAMNIT!!! :evil:

Here in the Northeast it's the "Molson Golden" effect.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:44 am

In case anybody was wondering, getting a vasectomy isn't bad at all and Percocet is still awesome.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:09 pm

Dizik wrote:In case anybody was wondering, getting a vasectomy isn't bad at all and Percocet is still awesome.

Percocet?? All I got was 800mg Motrins and 3 bags of frozen peas. Still got to spend the weekend on the couch watching sports, with a 2-hour cycle on the bags of peas.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:01 pm

Captain Ned wrote:Percocet?? All I got was 800mg Motrins and 3 bags of frozen peas. Still got to spend the weekend on the couch watching sports, with a 2-hour cycle on the bags of peas.
Yup. The doctor offered me a prescription for Valium as well, but I declined.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:12 pm

Dizik wrote:Yup. The doctor offered me a prescription for Valium as well, but I declined.

Generous doctors in OK, I guess.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:14 pm

In case anybody was wondering, getting a vasectomy isn't bad at all and Percocet is still awesome.

I gotta talk to my wife about that. If I can time my recovery to coincide with hers it'll reduce the, um, downtime.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:21 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:I gotta talk to my wife about that. If I can time my recovery to coincide with hers it'll reduce the, um, downtime.

If all goes right a Friday procedure will have you back to work on Monday. It's minimally invasive and Percocet is a major overreaction. IIRC it's one stitch in each side so even if you do need to do something it's not going to end up in splooshyness, just pain.

As for the bags of frozen peas I'm not joking. It's a moldable source of deep cold that helps keep down the inevitable swelling. Three bags at 2 hours each means 4 hours in the freezer before that bag comes out again, more than enough time to fully freeze the contents.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:13 pm

I've used frozen peas for other injuries; better than any ice pack. I once got hit in the testes with a baseball bat (and the kidneys, it was pretty painful and part of the reason I usually carry a weapon now) and used frozen fruits and veggies as packs for *days*

I can't tell if I'm old and out of touch or if there's a lot less chatter about the WiiU than the Wii. Or maybe I just don't remember well from when the Wii came out.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:24 pm

There's less chatter. Even my nintendo friends have nothing to say about it.
Krogoth wrote:Care to enlightenment me?
grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:24 am

Got two friends with fully outfitted Wii setups and while both of them are aware of it, neither of them is enticed enough to spend the money (so far).

IMO Nintendo's biggest mistake was not supporting HD, if only 720P. Now that 40" flat panel units are in stock at Walmart for less than the price of an iPhone5, everybody and their dog has a large HD set...and the Wii is odd-man-out with its crippled SD resolution support.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:28 am

I thought the WiiU did 720? If not that is catastrophically stupid in this day and age. When the Wii hit plenty of people didn't have HDTV sets but like you said, you can get a low end 40" 720p for less than the cost of a good smartphone now. I know more people that have HDTV's than don't, which wasn't the case 6 years ago.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:16 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:I thought the WiiU did 720? If not that is catastrophically stupid in this day and age. When the Wii hit plenty of people didn't have HDTV sets but like you said, you can get a low end 40" 720p for less than the cost of a good smartphone now. I know more people that have HDTV's than don't, which wasn't the case 6 years ago.

There are some tricks that can be applied to enable 480P resolution and widescreen support, and then you can zoom the display using the TV's scaler, but the Wii does not support actual widescreen resolutions.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 pm

We were talking about the WiiU that' slaunching this week, not the original Wii ;) Which according to the spec sheet, the WiiU does do 1080p.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Oops, my mistake. I heard a bit about the new tablet-style controller but didn't notice that they had revamped the console.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch