dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:53 pm

I hate going to an unfamiliar grocery store with a very long SWMBO list on a holiday shopping weekend.

That is all.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:05 pm

Why do spam threads that got removed still show up in the "hot topics" link on the main page?
Also, spammers need to die.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:14 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:Why do spam threads that got removed still show up in the "hot topics" link on the main page?
Also, spammers need to die.

Browser cache.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:49 pm

so I'm running a pretty good fever and flipping between football games while I come upon Telemundo. Is it the fever or is Telemundo just....weird? Very weird.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:34 pm

It's weird.

You seem to get sick a lot. I'm sure the schedule of having a young baby doesn't help, but it still seems you get sick quite a bit.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:11 pm

I have really wicked allergies and it can go from stuffy and sneezy to actually sick pretty quick :X I wanted to get the shot treatments but my insurance doesn't cover them....and at several shots a week, 70 bucks a shot for the first couple months, it just ain't happening.

edit: either I got Sam sick or he got me sick :( Poor kiddo is unwell.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:52 am

'tis the season. I've had a virus playing pinball through my body ever since Thanksgiving.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:57 am

The variations on people's immune systems is so weird. I have a friend that gets sick ALL the time. I get sick MAYBE once a year. I take precautions during times of general higher frequency of sickness, but it really is staggering how often some people get sick. I don't think i've had a "cold" for been "sick" for about three years now.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Interesting for sure. Personally, I used to get strep throat at least once a year as a child (very glad THAT'S over with).
Being an adult doesn't mean you have to know what you're doing. It just means you have to look like you know what you're doing.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Captain Ned wrote:I hate going to an unfamiliar grocery store with a very long SWMBO list on a holiday shopping weekend.

That is all.

Single White-Man Body Odor?
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:15 pm

she who must be obeyed.

But I like yours better!

I have to shop for my wife yet, too, which is an exercise in frustration. She never wants anything.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:21 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:she who must be obeyed.

But I like yours better!

I have to shop for my wife yet, too, which is an exercise in frustration. She never wants anything.

I basically have the same situation here, but I paid attention. She's been having problems with her keyboard, so I picked up a mechanical one for her (I figure if I spend the money and she doesn't like it, less of a loss for her). And if you saw my earlier suggestion, I got her a book. She asked for the Alton Brown "Good Eats" cookbooks a couple years ago, so when I found the third one I knew it would be a good choice.
Being an adult doesn't mean you have to know what you're doing. It just means you have to look like you know what you're doing.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:07 pm

The variations on people's immune systems is so weird. I have a friend that gets sick ALL the time. I get sick MAYBE once a year. I take precautions during times of general higher frequency of sickness, but it really is staggering how often some people get sick. I don't think i've had a "cold" for been "sick" for about three years now.

That's how I used to be, but the last couple of years, not so much :evil: Makes me mad. It got better when I lost weight, but it's gotten bad again (and I haven't regained the weight either).

Derfunk, I'm in the same boat. I have to get my wife something and I Have no clue wth I should do. She doesn't want more jewelry, she's trying to lose baby weight so junk food is out, her taste in books is unpredictable and I've NEVER been able to get her clothes worth a damn.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:21 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:That's how I used to be, but the last couple of years, not so much :evil: Makes me mad. It got better when I lost weight, but it's gotten bad again (and I haven't regained the weight either).

Start with a humidifier, if you haven't already. I have to use one from about September through April, when the humidity here tends to drop into the single digits for extended periods. If I don't, then my sinuses slowly clog during the night, then I mouthbreathe, and that vastly reduces the quality of sleep.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:26 pm

ludi wrote:Start with a humidifier, if you haven't already. I have to use one from about September through April, when the humidity here tends to drop into the single digits for extended periods. If I don't, then my sinuses slowly clog during the night, then I mouthbreathe, and that vastly reduces the quality of sleep.

+1.

Paul since you live in west Texas this is probably a good idea.
DancinJack

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:51 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:I have really wicked allergies and it can go from stuffy and sneezy to actually sick pretty quick :X I wanted to get the shot treatments but my insurance doesn't cover them....and at several shots a week, 70 bucks a shot for the first couple months, it just ain't happening.

edit: either I got Sam sick or he got me sick :( Poor kiddo is unwell.

Man shots are the way to go. I didnt have allergies when I was growing up. It wasnt till my late 20's that they developed. I dont know what it was but they came and were strong. I was allergic to 2 different types of trees and Grass of all things, All grass. Living in the south and having mild winters did nothing to help. (I had like a 6 week window from Jan to mid Feb when nobody cut their grass) I developed a resistance to Allegra, Zyrtec, and Claritin; they did nothing to help. The only allergy med that worked for my was prescription Xyzal but it made me feel loopy.

So I started the shots regimen and three years later I have little to no symptoms from the allergens. I get the occasional sniffle or it but nothing Benedryl can handle. I feel for you.

If an when you can get the shots covered by insurance I HIGHLY recommend them.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Wounded Warrior Project
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!
tanker27
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:00 pm

any advice on really good humidifiers?
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:42 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:she who must be obeyed.

But I like yours better!

My SO that I live with (and I don't think frequents these boards) is getting a lot of Yoga related fitness stuff she wanted. I have a sneaking suspicion she got me the dip-belt I wanted.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:44 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:any advice on really good humidifiers?

I usually buy one of the nicer off-the-shelf model at Bed Bath & Beyond, it lasts about 3 years and then I buy another. I have to use a hot steam type, the ultrasonics made my room feel like a musty cellar.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:01 pm

I've got some fitness stuff on my list; a swiss bar (not ball, bar) and a texas power bar. And rubber floor mats for the deadlifting.

I don't think I'm getting any of them though :(
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:10 am

paulWTAMU wrote:any advice on really good humidifiers?
If your furnace is running when you need humidifying (like here in Canada) then a whole-house humidifier on the furnace is the way to go.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:54 am

For the last two days I've been the only person in my office to actually make it in (there are only 5 of us, 2 of them work remotely most of the time, the other two are wasting vacation days since they don't roll over, and I assume that's why they one of them "called in sick"). I'm getting more done with less distractions - though here I am on TR right now - than I normally do.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:12 pm

I think we've all had days like that. Some of the days I've worked from home (I can be pretty sick and still work damnit, even if they don't want me at the office) have been my most productive!
Fewer distractions and you don't feel like you have to waste time dealing with other people
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:38 pm

I have to back up the humidifier, as a fellow texan, I have to use one from about October to March, sometimes April. It really works wonders. :)
icoltsfan94
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:45 pm

Stuck in the HS auditorium for the daughter's winter concert and the parents jockeying for the best spot from which to video recalls the free-for all in the" taper's seats" at Dead shows.

EDIT: Must be that school administrations are a lot cooler with religious choral music in school than they used to be here in VT. Out of 4 separate choirs and 12 songs, 10 were specifically religious (80/20 Christian/Jewish) with some good old Church Latin and the Israeli national anthem ("Hatikvah') thrown in for kicks. The band side (where my daughter is) stuck with stuff like Charlie Brown and Grinch medleys as well as the hoary old classic "Sleigh Ride". At least the quality level is a vast improvement over middle school.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:43 pm

I've had to make my wife a few whips over the years after she's destroyed the previous one in a rendition of Sleigh Ride. We have a trumpet player in the concert band I play with that can do a far better horse sound at the end than most of the recordings I've heard.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:00 pm

notfred wrote:I've had to make my wife a few whips over the years after she's destroyed the previous one in a rendition of Sleigh Ride. We have a trumpet player in the concert band I play with that can do a far better horse sound at the end than most of the recordings I've heard.

The whinny was a bit weak, but the whip cracks were played by large popped balloons. As the band teacher explained pre-song it was a tradition in his college band (and he don't look more than 5 years out if that) to come up with creative ways to do the whip snaps without a whip or slap sticks, so he charged his kids with finding same. Knowing the local HS population I'm somewhat surprised that we didn't end up with something like the end of The Who's one and only performance on The Smothers Brothers Show.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:04 pm

3 days of antibiotics for trhe sinus and ear infections and I feel human again :) I love medicine.

I finally felt good enough to do something physical so I just did a max out on OHP; got 205 :D Hopefully I'll be up for an actual workout tomorrow too, so I can hit up some deadlifts and a bench workout. Bench'll be a bit shoddy from maxing on OHP today but oh well.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:47 am

My gosh Paul, get that humidifier NOW. They can really help with sinus/ear infections to help you sleep and get over them a lot quicker. Seriously. Do it.
DancinJack

Postposted on Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:55 am

paulWTAMU wrote:3 days of antibiotics for trhe sinus and ear infections and I feel human again :) I love medicine.

I finally felt good enough to do something physical so I just did a max out on OHP; got 205 :D Hopefully I'll be up for an actual workout tomorrow too, so I can hit up some deadlifts and a bench workout. Bench'll be a bit shoddy from maxing on OHP today but oh well.

What, if any, routine do you follow? I started Ripptoes starting strength a few years ago but had a major case of dick-around-itus. I was 120lbs give or take, I 'm at 160lbs now with a decent body re composition. I'm using a blueprint from Layne Norton (http://www.simplyshredded.com/mega-feat ... -2011.html) Search for "Day 1: Upper Body Power Day" and that is the start of my routine. It's a good mix of power, speed, and hypertrophy exercises. I'm usually crushed and tired as hell by the end of it. Yesterday I had to stop and fore go 2 sets of rack-chins (replacement for lat pulldowns) because my back and arms were so pumped I had no range of motion. Feels good mang. I'm still bulking, I want to hit about 185 then cut the fat to 175 or so. I'm only 5'5" so brick **** it is. I think I'm even more focuses than I was a few years ago as I near the 30 year mark. *gulp*.
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch