dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:31 am

It's amazing what happens when your city's cut off for 1-2 days O.o The grocery stores on Tuesday afternoon were as barren as I've ever seen a grocery story in my life (and I was working at one when the panic buying happened for 9/11!). Frigging blizzard.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:52 pm

About to leave DMV with the daughter and her shiny new learner's permit.

I need a very stiff drink.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:11 pm

That sounds rough. The people, the lines, and an offspring driving!
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Good luck Ned.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:03 pm

All right, give me a hand here.

Each year, 75% of the teams make the playoffs
The past 7 years, this team has not made the playoffs once

What are the odds of that happening?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:12 pm

If the team's players, coaches and management all suck, it's a pretty high percentage.

If the playoff berths were determined simply by randomly drawing the team names out of a hat rather than on the meritorious performance of those teams during the regular season, the probability would be (1/4)^7 = 0.006%.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 pm

idchafee wrote:All right, give me a hand here.

Each year, 75% of the teams make the playoffs
The past 7 years, this team has not made the playoffs once

What are the odds of that happening?

Well, if you are treating the outcome each year as completely random, I believe it would be 0.25^7, or 0.000061. That's roughly 1 in 16,000.

Of course in this case, there's probably a pretty high correlation between sucking one year, and sucking again the next. So it's not a purely random process.

Edit: Oops, JAE beat me to it!
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:20 pm

just brew it! wrote: There's probably a pretty high correlation between sucking one year, and sucking again the next. So it's not a purely random process.
This is where the NFL's genius shows. The draft rewards the teams that miss the playoffs with the first shot at the best available new talent the next year. The schedule strength rewards the bad teams with an easier schedule the next year. The salary cap and revenue sharing ensure that the bad teams have the financial resources to compete with the good ones.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:31 pm

And then you've got the management and owners to help guarantee that the team will suck again next year :) Glad my team isn't so bad...
druidcent
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:25 pm

This is where the NFL's genius shows. The draft rewards the teams that miss the playoffs with the first shot at the best available new talent the next year. The schedule strength rewards the bad teams with an easier schedule the next year. The salary cap and revenue sharing ensure that the bad teams have the financial resources to compete with the good ones.

Agreed. I kind of suspect that's part of what's helped make football more appealing again. It isn't just the same 2-3 teams for a decade at a stretch (although you certainly do have dynasties still).
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:36 pm

Guys, are you talking about the National Frisbee League? Or maybe the Nuclear Flambé Lobbyist organization?

I really found the NFL this year to be very boring. I stopped watching right around week 8 and couldn't be bothered to watch the Superbowl until the end of the 3rd quarter, and even then only because I didn't want to see reruns of "The Golden Girls" or "Just Shoot Me".

:-?
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:33 am

I was talking about the Chicago Sky, our local WNBA team. And before you go all LOL on me for following the WNBA, my mom and both kids love it. And even though the WNBA isn't my favorite sporting event to watch, it is sometimes nice to see an actual 5 on 5 basketball game, with pick & rolls, and strategy and all that. I like the NBA, but its really just 5 little games of 1 on 1.

EDIT: but yes, their management and coaching has been suspect almost since day 1
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:58 am

idchafee wrote:I was talking about the Chicago Sky, our local WNBA team. And before you go all LOL on me for following the WNBA, my mom and both kids love it. And even though the WNBA isn't my favorite sporting event to watch, it is sometimes nice to see an actual 5 on 5 basketball game, with pick & rolls, and strategy and all that. I like the NBA, but its really just 5 little games of 1 on 1.

EDIT: but yes, their management and coaching has been suspect almost since day 1

Do you watch Futurama? ;)
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:56 pm

Finally into the home stretch for the Drunk Monk Challenge this weekend.

I'm 1/2 of the volunteer IT team (with a co-worker) supporting the web app entrants and judges use to register, and 1/2 of the team (with my wife) responsible for recruiting qualified judges and assigning them to flights. It's a challenging optimization problem: given 800+ entries, 100+ judges, and 3 judging sessions, figure out how to ensure that every entry gets judged by at least one BJCP judge of "Certified" rank or higher, that nobody is judging a beer they entered themselves (most people who judge in homebrew competitions are also homebrewers), and that nobody is assigned to judge a style of beer that they have indicated they do not want to judge.

We've successfully worked around all of the bugs (that we know of so far...) in the competition management web app, and judging assignments are done. Competition day is (mostly) the stewarding team's problem now -- they need to get each of those 800+ bottles of beer to the correct judge team, keep things moving along, and collect and tally all of the scoresheets.

I need a beer. Or three. But it'll be even more of a relief come Saturday evening, when this is all history. Who would've thought being a member of a homebrew club could be so much work? :lol:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:03 pm

just brew it! wrote: It's a challenging optimization problem...
With a decently-arranged spreadsheet, Solver will give you an optimum solution in seconds.
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:21 pm

I'd say "TGIF", but it doesn't feel like Friday. It feels like I've already begun next Monday and I still have last Monday's work to do! :x
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:58 pm

Not really original (since there are like 10 of these already) but I was tooting around in iMovie and this was my goal. I learned about splitting clips and selecting the right length so as not to screw up the timing. Not bad for my first project. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWAlfJdfyH0
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:20 am

Not looking forward to DST.

Losing a hour of sleep will suck,big-time.

Bah humbug.
AMD64Blondie
Gerbil

Postposted on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:47 pm

AMD64Blondie wrote:Not looking forward to DST.

Losing a hour of sleep will suck,big-time.

Bah humbug.

As one of the co-organizers of this event I've been running on fumes for 3 days. Now that the event is behind us, I slept in until around noon. So my internal clock would've been all messed up anyway! :lol:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:17 pm

I still don't quite know what time it is, so I just go by either my iPad or whatever person texts/IM's me asking "are you joining our meeting?"
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:41 pm

My last review referred to a mouse that looked like a maxi pad -- those who actually read it didn't post about it :(
BluePanda
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:40 am

EDIT BY MOD - Captain Ned - Please repost in The Bargain Basement. Note that the Basement has forum-specific rules.
Amd Phenom 2 560(unlocked to 4 cores at 3.8ghz),xfx Radeon 6870 (ty again tr ^^ ),Cooler master haf case, 4gb of drr3 1600 ram, win7 ultimate 64bit
MrBojangles
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:31 am

mmmmm....pepperjack
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:57 am

A few years ago there was a NY Resolution thread with some gerbils pledging to lose and some to gain. I'm still gaining and I put together a more industrial toy last night.

http://i.imgur.com/dBDDQ54.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality. My goal is a 1000 lb total (bench, squat, deadlift) within 3 years which I think is reasonable. My last setup was an Olympic bench/squat combo but didn't allow for safeties or adjustable heights to pre-set a number of other lifts I enjoy. This setup is much more robust It's rated for a lot more than I'll ever lift and it feels rock solid. Very thick metal and bolts. I'm currently at 162lbs at 14% BF and I restarted my bulk so 3500 calories a day or so. I don't mind getting fat as long as my lifts and size go up, I can shed the fat later rather easily. I use a few supplements but nothing illegal. I find working out is a great cure for the winter blues and I feel better than I ever have in my life, especially as I approach the big 30. :evil:
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:14 am

My bench is holding at 295, OHP is 210, and squats and deads are coming back after an injury (fell of a ladder and did a number on my back) and should be back into the mid 300s/low 400s pretty soon. Bodyweight is stagnant at 265 though, not losing much :( has me frustrated! Hopefully next week I can get 3x5 with 275 on squats and get back to getting stronger vs making up lost ground. Injuries suck.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:43 am

paulWTAMU wrote:Injuries suck.

I just started back after 1.5 weeks off (mostly). I'm worried it could be worse but so far so good. I started to develop what I think was tendinitis from over-use of heavy weighted chins and pulls. I cut rack-chins from my accessory work in the mean time and stopped curling until further notice. I'm sitting at a 200 1RM bench, unknown max squat (eager to find out, my last setup I couldn't go heavy without fear of an accident) but I've hit 250 no problem so I think I have some room, and 305 for my PR deadlift. I was stuck at crappy numbers on my bench for the longest. My OHP is a joke, AC joint in my left shoulder is fubared from an accident. It clicks when I bench, and it impinges easily from OHP - though with the new setup I can possibly get around that from a starting point where I don't clean the weight into position.

Saw a sweet vid last week on reddit where this dude squattted 905 Raw and couldn't do more due to the bar not supporting it. Reddit came together and bought the guy a super thick bar that could hold excess of over 1000lbs so he can get practicing.
What power! http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 1YR8v6huyM Good form too, that depth!
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:01 pm

saw his squat, hadn't heard about the bar :D Mine's only rated 600, hoping to get a Texas Power Bar or something soon. And a swiss bar with the various width neutral grips; that should make some of the pressing more joint friendly.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:10 pm

Fixing one thing broke another, and in an attempt to find it I wrote a debug message that said "WHAT'S IT DOING, PRECIOUS?"... :-?
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Mime
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:20 am

Mime wrote:Fixing one thing broke another, and in an attempt to find it I wrote a debug message that said "WHAT'S IT DOING, PRECIOUS?"... :-?

That's cute. Made me giggle.
AMD64Blondie
Gerbil

Postposted on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:50 am

Sounds like a candidate for the Amusing/lame error messages thread.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch