Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Tummy now hates coffee?

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:17 am

OK guys, I know I should talk to my doc about this but I can't do that right now, so here's hoping some of you would throw in your $0.02.

I used to drink lots of coffee everyday and I used to use instant soluble coffee brands like Nescafe Gold or UCC Blend 114 or UCC Class One. One heaping teaspoon to a mug of hot water, no creamer, no sugar. I like the bitter taste of coffee. 3 to 4 servings a day just to perk me up.

In recent months, however, I've noticed that my stomach feels a bit bloated when I take a mug of coffee, but it seemed to go away almost entirely within a few weeks.

Lately, however, I grew tired of the artifial taste of soluble coffee (nothing like the real thing) so I've been using ground coffee with a French press. I just put about four teaspoons in the press, add enough hot water to fill a mug, put the lid on, wait a few seconds, and then push the rod down slowly, maybe 3 times. I don't wait 3 or so minutes before pushing the rod down. Coffee from ground beans tastes much better but I've noticed that I again feel bloated and now I also get a slight headache. I tried a different brand but I get the same results. Thing is, it's not like I'm new to coffee (ground or soluble) and I've been taking 3-4 mugs (1 tsp. of soluble coffee per serving) for years now. I tried going back to soluble coffee but I still feel a bit of bloat, and I don't know if I'm just trying to feel a hadache when there really isn't any just to vindicate ground coffee.

Any thoughts? Am I using the press wrong? Is something wrong with the ground beans? Or worse, could something be wrong with me?
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Re: Tummy now hates coffee?

Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:58 am

ronch wrote:
I just put about four teaspoons in the press, add enough hot water to fill a mug...

That is A LOT of grounds for one cup. You need to tone that down. Your coffee is likely far too acidic, and you're likely consuming far too much caffeine in a short amount of time. Both of those are probably the cause of your upset stomach and headaches.

Coffee has always given my stomach a little go round. That's okay with me though, it's part of my day.

http://www.livescience.com/45465-why-do ... -poop.html

You should really find a good, rich/bold coffee that is low on acid and brew it right. You will enjoy it more and it will help with your issues. Things that can help: Buy whole beans and grind them coarsely. Almost every single bag of grinds I have ever seen are ground too finely for my taste. Get a 30 dollar grinder and do it yourself. Darker roasts are generally going to be easier on your stomach as well. Buy a few and find one you like. It's worth it for good coffee every day.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

frayne
Gerbil

Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:21 am

Coffee both caffeinated and decaffeinated are high acidic. It can irritate your stomach if you drink too much.
My friend had similar case like you. He drink 8-9 mugs of coffee per day.
Time came that he feel bloated everytime he drink coffee. So, he went to his gastro doctor to find out.
After series of some test, his doctor said that he had too much acid in his stomach.
His doctor advise him to avoid drinking coffee as much as possible.

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:07 am

You're probably hyper acidic. Also, Have you had your blood pressure checked? Coffee is great, but everything in moderation. It might be time to get into the more alcoholic side of brewing.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:03 am

For starters: you should see a doctor. None of the responses here appear to come from MD's, and even if they did, you should find someone who can check our your unique case.

That being said, it does sound like you're using the press incorrectly. Whenever I use my french press, I use 1-2 TBsp ground coffee per 6 ounces of water, and I let it brew for 4 minutes. After that, I slowly push the plunger down.

What you might do is water the coffee down after you brew. Get hot water for brewing, AND get hot water to dilute the final mixture. It might not be the most flavorful, but it should cut the acidity. Skimming a couple Google results turned up a couple more low-acidity options. Apparently calcium can help--which you can get my adding dairy creamer to the finished coffee or egg shells to the coffee grounds. You can also get lower acidity by doing cold brew. (specifically Toddy Cold Brew?) The resulting coffee is actually a concentrate that you store in the fridge, which should mean that you can add it to hot water in the morning if you still want it hot.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Deanjo
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:36 am

Sounds like tapeworm. :lol:

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:01 am

Ditch the French Press and get a Aeropress. Also make sure you use the inverted brewing method. :wink:

As for the upset stomach. Go see a doctor.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:39 am

Welcome to getting old, Ronch. :(

Yeats
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:41 am

superjawes wrote:
For starters: you should see a doctor. None of the responses here appear to come from MD's...

Mine did. My response came from an AMD...

:P

Concupiscence
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:46 am

tanker27 wrote:
Ditch the French Press and get a Aeropress. Also make sure you use the inverted brewing method. :wink:

As for the upset stomach. Go see a doctor.

Don't ditch the French press, it's delicious when done right and a sunk cost. But OP is making it too strong; either cut back the amount of grounds you're putting in, or dilute with hot water and/or creamer. Don't be afraid to get an Aeropress, but learn to use the Frenchie before writing it off. Compare the two and see which you like better.

If you cut back on the grounds and you're still having stomach trouble, see a doctor.
Science: Core i9 7940x, 64 gigs RAM, Vega FE, Xubuntu 20.04
Work: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gigs RAM, Radeon RX 580, Win10 Pro
Tinker: Core i5 2400, 8 gigs RAM, Radeon R9 280x, Xubuntu 20.04 + MS-DOS 7.10

Read me at https://www.wallabyjones.com/

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:46 am

A french press (would you believe the Aussies call them 'plungers'?) leaves a lot more sediment in the finished cup, and that may be part of the problem. Instant coffee is manufactured by dehydrating a finished, brewed coffee solution, so you're getting much more of the bean products in your cup than before, which may be part of the reason the irritation resumed when you switched to the press.

Try taking an antacid before you drink a cup. If the symptoms disappear then the acidity is probably your only problem. But if they persist, then you need medical advice.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP

Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:18 am

Ronch, welcome to my world.

Couple things--first, many beans can cause gas, FWIW.

Second, because I my intake is so high (I drink double espressos to calm down) and I am sensitive to acid I have to buffer the coffee with--something--so I mix coffee (not my espressos) with hot chocolate, but other less palatable mixtures work as well...such as a quarter of an antacid tablet dropped in the cup.

Good luck.
"the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die." -- Senator Ted Kennedy, 1980 Democratic National Convention speech

jihadjoe
Gerbil Elite

Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:58 pm

superjawes wrote:
For starters: you should see a doctor. None of the responses here appear to come from MD's, and even if they did, you should find someone who can check our your unique case.

Oh definitely agree with that. Short of a proper checkup there's no way of knowing exactly what's going on here.

My advise was sort of secondhand, but the girlfriend had the exact same problem a few years back (their office had free-flowing coffee). The doctor put her on antacids which fixed the problem after a few weeks and now she's enjoying her coffee again, albeit in more moderate amounts. Still, ronch did ask for our $.02s, so there's mine.

Fogg
Gerbil

Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:00 pm

So about 5 years back I had a simular reaction. I would have a couple of peices of toast and a cup of coffee or a bowl of cereal and a cup of coffee, and would get horrible heartburn about half way on my comute to work. I found out I had a wheat allergy and that is what was causing my problems not the coffee. So are you eating anything when you drink the coffee? Could be a simular issue. I have since cut out all wheat from my diet and I have NEVER had heartburn since. The only thing I miss is a good beer...
If you suspect that it's easy to test, Just cut out all wheat for 2-4 weeks and you will know right away. If there is know change then yeah see a Doc.

YMMV...

Fogg
Sorry no fancy signature, and too many computers to list specs...

Chrispy_
Maximum Gerbil

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:28 am

I've been drinking coffee from a french press for about fifteen years now, and when I want a really really strong cup, I'll use two heaped teaspoons. Normally I do one, perhaps one and a half if I'm using smoother beans, but on the rich, dark, fine-grind beans one heaped teaspoon will make a cup that's stronger than anything you're likely to buy from Costa/Starbucks/Pret/Nero etc.

Everyone's tastes are different, but when I make coffee in a 1-cup press, I pour in boiling water from a decent height (about 18 inches) which provides a huge amount of turbulence to mix up the grinds and also cools the water a few degrees. I pop the lid on but wait for the grinds to settle (about 90s usually) before pressing down just once. If you like bitter coffee, wait longer (about 3-5 minutes is as much as I can take).

I'm somewhat surprised you haven't developed a stomach ulcer using such super-concentrated coffee, though people who drink Coca-cola all day seem to manage (chronic obesity notwithstanding).
On the offchance your reaction to coffee is ulcer-related, you should (as already mentioned) at least discuss it with your GP.
Congratulations, you've noticed that this year's signature is based on outdated internet memes; CLICK HERE NOW to experience this unforgettable phenomenon. This sentence is just filler and as irrelevant as my signature.

mmmmmdonuts21
Gerbil Elite

Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:44 am

Like others have said go see a doctor. A coworker of mine about 10 years ago had to stop drinking coffee because she got a massive ucler due to the acidity of the coffee. Get it checked out before it can possibly get to that level.
To Start Press Any Key'. Where's the ANY key?
If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing
You know, boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like a woman. You just have to read the manual and press the right buttons.

HellDiver
Gerbil

Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:27 am

Fogg wrote:
I found out I had a wheat allergy and that is what was causing my problems not the coffee.

I sympathise. I have a wheat allergy too, and it really, really sucks. I cook at home, so it's pretty easy to control, but eating out is a disaster. I basically go for anything gluten-free, even though I'm not allergic to gluten, just wheat.

I'm also on antacids, I was quite underweight for most of my life, and at 38 I finally figured out the issue - with the wheat allergy and the acid problems I never really wanted to eat, so just picked at food. I've put on just over a stone in 6 months, so I'm in the 'normal' weight category at last.
[email protected], Asus X99-A, H110iGT, 32GB Crucial DDR4-2400, Strix 980Ti, 950 Pro M.2, 2x MX300 RAID0, AX860, Define R5 BOE, Win10 Pro.

WhatMeWorry
Gerbil First Class

Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:26 am

Never go to the Doctor. They just find things wrong with you. :wink:
I dont think, therefore I am not.