Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Ashley Madison

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

Aranarth
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: Ashley Madison

Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:27 pm

I am NOT on the list :D
Main machine: Core I7 -2600K @ 4.0Ghz / 16 gig ram / Radeon RX 580 8gb / 500gb toshiba ssd / 5tb hd
Old machine: Core 2 quad Q6600 @ 3ghz / 8 gig ram / Radeon 7870 / 240 gb PNY ssd / 1tb HD

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:25 pm

You'd have to be a special kind of idiot to enroll on that site in your own name and with anything other than a disposable e-mail address.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:01 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
You'd have to be a special kind of idiot to enroll on that site in your own name and with anything other than a disposable e-mail address.

The internet abounds with special kinds of idiots. :D

Or haven't you been there?

Heiwashin
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:02 pm

Ned called me special, i feel all warm and fuzzy.
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
When drunk.....
I want to have sex, but find I am more likely to be shot down than when I am sober.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:15 pm

.gov emails... .edu emails... real names and CC info... correspondence...

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:18 pm

Yup, the mind boggles.

I wonder if divorce lawyers are trolling the database for prospective clients?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:26 pm

just brew it! wrote:

They probably paid for the hack knowing it would be money well-spent.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

anotherengineer
Gerbil Jedi
Topic Author

Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:57 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

LOLZ
Life doesn't change after marriage, it changes after children!

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:43 pm

More concerned with the national security risks. Humans are the weakest links of any security setup. Also, if you are going to do something potentially regrettable, don't do it on the web. Or if you must, use a fake name, with a dead end P. O. Box, pay with gift cards that were paid with cash, use VPN, and use some disposable email address from a server that is not hosted in the United States. Did I miss anything?

Edit: Encrypt everything under the sun!

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:03 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

LOLZ

Contrary to common perception, most states have moved to adopting a no-fault dissolution of marriage scheme, instead of the confrontational fault divorce system. I believe New York, New Mexico and some other states have a dual system of having two ways to divorce. Unless stipulated in a prenuptial or any subsequent post-nuptial agreement, I believe that infidelity does not play much a role in the whole equitable distribution of asset(like in Florida) or division of marital property(like states such as New Mexico where they treat everything acquired during the marriage marital property, a community property state) under the no fault scheme. BTW, the community property states are states that have adopted such regimes due to their civil law heritages under spanish, and french common law. Compare with the common English regime of Equitable distribution, where it is a bit different.

Also dissolution of divorce and distribution of the assets after dissolution are two separate legal processes, although they are commonly done at the same time. Also, I believe for most states it is against ethical rules to take clients under a contingency fee arraignment in actions regarding dissolution of marriage, although I am sure we are to see some pretty nasty grounds based divorces with the kids being the victims here of all of this. Which is why no-fault divorce is so awesome! Better for the kids, less confrontational, and less costly in theory.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:43 pm

anotherengineer wrote:
So you on the list SSK?? ;)

I'd bet he is but only dates/flirts with his wife :lol:

Milo Burke
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:00 am

MarkG509 wrote:

And me, apparently. :roll:

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:11 am

I downloaded the list out of curiosity, yeah, there's a lot of co-workers on it. Some were even dumb enough to use their company email! My company isnt that big compared to the other Fortune 500 ones, so word is going to travel fast. And I know I am not the only IT person who got a copy.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

NovusBogus
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:11 pm

Spies, blackmail, divorce lawyers, hackers, vengeful lovers, maybe even identity fraud. Muahahaha, let chaos reign!

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:20 pm

Milo Burke wrote:
MarkG509 wrote:

And me, apparently. :roll:

I thought you were/are his wife...or at least one of the legal concubines.

cphite
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:16 pm

tanker27 wrote:
I downloaded the list out of curiosity, yeah, there's a lot of co-workers on it. Some were even dumb enough to use their company email! My company isnt that big compared to the other Fortune 500 ones, so word is going to travel fast. And I know I am not the only IT person who got a copy.

Sadly, this is an indication of how utterly clueless people tend to be in regards to online information.

To use your own, actual information in the first place is already stupid; it's not as though creating a new account with a fake name is difficult.

But to use a work address, or especially a government address... that is simply an astounding level of stupidity. Considering the number of companies that keep track of email traffic, not to mention the government... you truly have to be some kind of an idiot to do this.

uni-mitation
Gerbil XP

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:51 pm

cphite wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Sadly, this is an indication of how utterly clueless people tend to be in regards to online information.

To use your own, actual information in the first place is already stupid; it's not as though creating a new account with a fake name is difficult.

But to use a work address, or especially a government address... that is simply an astounding level of stupidity. Considering the number of companies that keep track of email traffic, not to mention the government... you truly have to be some kind of an idiot to do this.

Some people deserve to lose their jobs not because of infidelity, but because of the sheer stupidity of exposing themselves to blackmail, and other insidious things.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:52 pm

It's not like doing stupid crap online is anything new. Everyone has heard the stories about people who have gotten fired from their jobs (or not hired in the first place) as a result of stuff they've posted on Facebook. I would actually hazard a guess that more than 50% of people don't think enough about what they're doing before they hit that Post button. The Ashley Madison mess is, in some ways, just an extension of that; and the fact that the site had a veneer of anonymity (the only reason personal details got exposed is because they got hacked) lulled a lot of people into a false sense of security.

Edit: And yes, I agree that intentionally/negligently exposing yourself to potential blackmail should be grounds for dismissal and/or revocation of a security clearance, depending on your job.

Edit 2: And :lol: at the fact that Josh Duggar is among the cheating spouses outed in the data dump. What a hypocritical d-bag...

UnfriendlyFire
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:10 pm

uni-mitation wrote:
cphite wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

Some people deserve to lose their jobs not because of infidelity, but because of the sheer stupidity of exposing themselves to blackmail, and other insidious things.

I know some employers, especially the US government, demand credit score reports to verify that you're not sitting on $100,000 of debt and might be more inclined to take a $200,000 bribe to pay it off.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:06 am

just brew it! wrote:
Yup, the mind boggles.

Leak prospectors are the new ambulance chasers?

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:17 am

There is two forces at play here. The crime of the hack which is a crime. But then there's the karmic fallout. One reaping what one has sowed and that whole bit.

trackerben
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:26 am

kamikaziechameleon wrote:
There is two forces at play here. The crime of the hack which is a crime. But then there's the karmic fallout. One reaping what one has sowed and that whole bit.

For commissioned people, adultery can be an offense and prosecuted in some cases. The uniformed guys here would have a better idea of the implications.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:56 am

If it was as straightforward as it appears to have been for an ad-hoc vigilante group, how likely is it that AM was being scraped by more robust entities before any of this foofooraw?

And since such entities already have lists of various nations' security-cleared personnel, collation would be super-straightforward...

In any case, I wouldn't like to be traceable to any of the .sa addresses in the dumps!

canoli
Gerbil XP

Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:35 am

Any site named Ashley Madison deserves to get hacked - and if possible ripped up, shredded and blown out of existence.

God that ridiculous, focus-grouped, Upper East Side trendy b.s. name bothers me lol. They should've gone all the way and named it Ashley Madison Caleb Winston Jayden.

{edit: no offense to anyone using those names, family, friends etc. By themselves they're perfectly nice names. Together it just reeks of Madison Ave Marketing 101 ]
Last edited by canoli on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:49 am

canoli wrote:
Any site named Ashley Madison deserves to get hacked - and if possible ripped up, shredded and blown out of existence.

God that ridiculous, focus-grouped, Upper East Side trendy b.s. name bothers me lol. They should've gone all the way and named it Ashley Madison Caleb Winston Jayden.

LOL!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:22 am

UnfriendlyFire wrote:
I know some employers, especially the US government, demand credit score reports to verify that you're not sitting on $100,000 of debt and might be more inclined to take a $200,000 bribe to pay it off.

"Some"? No this is a new norm for a lot of employers, they pull credit reports often.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:03 pm

slowriot
Gerbil XP

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:14 pm

just brew it! wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/24/toronto-suicides-ashley-madison-hack

Not the end of it either, we'll likely being seeing multiple stories along these lines. I've heard of a few people I know personally who are extremely concerned. Not only because of personal relationships but also this has the possibility to have security clearances and employment opportunities shut off from those whose name is associated with the data.

TwistedKestrel
Gerbil Elite

Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:38 pm

So Annalee Newitz is suggesting that maybe 12,000 or 0.0003% of the 37 million profiles on the site were women that had ever actively communicated on it.

http://gizmodo.com/almost-none-of-the-w ... 1725558944

Is it just me, or does that seem unlikely? I would imagine a lot of people creating fake accounts just for a laugh. Maybe the fields that Newitz is using for this hypothesis were very recent additions to the database?