Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: Ashley Madison

Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:01 am

slowriot wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/24/toronto-suicides-ashley-madison-hack

Not the end of it either, we'll likely being seeing multiple stories along these lines. I've heard of a few people I know personally who are extremely concerned. Not only because of personal relationships but also this has the possibility to have security clearances and employment opportunities shut off from those whose name is associated with the data.

If you were actually the one who signed up, then you deserve to lose your clearance. It would come up in a poly screen anyway. Why would people who hold or are pursuing a clearance be surprised that doing something that could lead to a blackmail opportunity would invalidate them?

Now, the people I feel for are the ones whose email shows up, but really didn't sign up. Though it is relatively easy to do a password reset and lock the person who opened the account out and go look at the info they put in and probably figure out who it really is, there will still be a good bit of fallout because of the lingering suspicion.

Still, while I really feel for the innocent people who are getting caught up in this mess, I can't help but snicker, grab a bag of popcorn, and say "ain't karma a bitch!" It makes me smile to watch of the biggest hypocrites get their come-uppance.

--SS

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:31 am

canoli wrote:
God that ridiculous, focus-grouped, Upper East Side trendy b.s. name bothers me lol. They should've gone all the way and named it Ashley Madison Caleb Winston Jayden.
Heh. Good one.

UnfriendlyFire wrote:
I know some employers, especially the US government, demand credit score reports to verify that you're not sitting on $100,000 of debt and might be more inclined to take a $200,000 bribe to pay it off.
For some positions, that credit score report is a recurring thing. It's actually more involved than a running a credit score, as it's self-reported and due pretty much at tax time. It sucks big hairy donkey balls, in fact.

cphite wrote:
But to use a work address, or especially a government address... that is simply an astounding level of stupidity. Considering the number of companies that keep track of email traffic, not to mention the government... you truly have to be some kind of an idiot to do this.
Hrm. I would say it's not so much a failure to consider your organization's IT setup as it is shallow thinking. Put yourself in the shoes of an unhappy / sleazy spouse. You want to cheat. There is this website that advertises on your favorite adult content site that promises to help you do that. You have limited technical skills, being in sales/middle management/purchasing/whatever, so setting up a throwaway email account is beyond your consideration. Which email address do you use to register? The account that you access from home on the computer in the living room or on your tablet that your daughter borrows to play Angry Birds, or do you use the work account that only you access from a computer that your family never touches?

(As an aside, I find it useful to remind myself that everybody does things for the same reason: It seemed like a good idea at the time.)
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

nanoflower
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:59 am

The more I hear about this site the more confused I get. Apparently there were very few women on the site. That makes me wonder why anyone would continue to pay the membership fee since it seems unlikely the men are actually getting hooked up with one of the few women on the site. So how did the company make over 100 million dollars last year?

Xylker
Gerbil Elite

Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:14 pm

canoli wrote:
Any site named Ashley Madison deserves to get hacked - and if possible ripped up, shredded and blown out of existence.

God that ridiculous, focus-grouped, Upper East Side trendy b.s. name bothers me lol. They should've gone all the way and named it Ashley Madison Caleb Winston Jayden.

{edit: no offense to anyone using those names, family, friends etc. By themselves they're perfectly nice names. Together it just reeks of Madison Ave Marketing 101 ]

From a 2009 LA Times article:
And just who is Ashley Madison? Is she the steamy love child of Laura Ashley and a Dolly Madison chocolate Zinger? Is she Heidi Fleiss with a Daughters of the American Revolution name? Alas, she doesn't exist. In an effort to attract women to the site, Biderman and his colleagues combined two of today's most popular baby names and invented their fictional proprietor.
I have nothing more to say about that.

canoli
Gerbil XP

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:28 am

Xylker wrote:

From a 2009 LA Times article:
And just who is Ashley Madison? Is she the steamy love child of Laura Ashley and a Dolly Madison chocolate Zinger? Is she Heidi Fleiss with a Daughters of the American Revolution name? Alas, she doesn't exist. In an effort to attract women to the site, Biderman and his colleagues combined two of today's most popular baby names and invented their fictional proprietor.

...resulting in a whopping .0004 % female representation... "ashley" and "madison" are so 2010... and anyway to attract women you go with boys names not girls.

Winston-Jayden would've been a winner lol.

kamikaziechameleon
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 02, 2016 3:36 pm

trackerben wrote:
kamikaziechameleon wrote:
There is two forces at play here. The crime of the hack which is a crime. But then there's the karmic fallout. One reaping what one has sowed and that whole bit.

For commissioned people, adultery can be an offense and prosecuted in some cases. The uniformed guys here would have a better idea of the implications.

"Commissioned" what do you mean by that? Like a sales person?

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Mon May 02, 2016 3:38 pm

trackerben wrote:
There is two forces at play here. The crime of the hack which is a crime. But then there's the karmic fallout. One reaping what one has sowed and that whole bit.

For commissioned people, adultery can be an offense and prosecuted in some cases. The uniformed guys here would have a better idea of the implications.

I think he means elected government officials. You know this thread is over a year old?
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 02, 2016 4:42 pm

trackerben wrote:

No, an officer holding a commission (that's what makes you an officer) in one of the uniformed services. Article 134 of the UCMJ.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon May 02, 2016 8:11 pm

To wit: Any member of the officer corps in the US military. Anything higher than 2nd Lieutenant or Ensign.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

ThatStupidCat
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed May 04, 2016 2:25 pm

So... how many gerbils are on this list? :lol: :D :roll:
I'm clueless about computers.
Smoking catnip in the litterbox.

biffzinker
Gerbil Jedi

Wed May 04, 2016 2:31 pm

ThatStupidCat wrote:
So... how many gerbils are on this list? :lol: :D :roll:

Trying to use a deflect maneuver so no one finds out? For me, never knew anything until it hit the news.
It would take you 2,363 continuous hours or 98 days,11 hours, and 35 minutes of gameplay to complete your Steam library.
In this time you could travel to Venus one time.