Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

First Logitech, now Google, with the logo change...

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:07 pm

Is it just me or are Logitech and Google using the same marketing department? Google has a new logo, and it looks... simpler and flatter.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

Waco
Maximum Gerbil

Re: First Logitech, now Google, with the logo change...

Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:51 pm

I prefer the old one. The new one is too...flat and generic.
Victory requires no explanation. Defeat allows none.

The Egg
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:44 pm

The new one looks a bit childish, but it hardly means much to me.

cynan
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:05 pm

And just think, instead of being informed of something nobody cares about, we could have had some sort of cool Bee Gees-themed animation on our search page (it's Barry Gibb's birthday today).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:17 pm

cynan wrote:
We could have had some sort of cool Bee Gees theme.
What a tragedy.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Sargent Duck
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:55 pm

Does seem like a trend. Microsoft changed the font on "Microsoft" as well...last year? Also flattened out the Windows logo as well.
No matter how bad the new homepage sucks or how bungled the new management is...

To all the original writers/contributors and volunteers, please know that I have nothing but the deepest love for you and the work you've done.

puppetworx
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:10 am

Flat has been in for the last few years with the big companies gradually shifting.

The new Google logo though, it looks like a joke to me. It's not only the flatness, it's more the font. The name of your company already resembles babytalk, the color palette is already garish and unsophisticated, and now you're going more generic and primitive on font form? It evokes everything that a company targeting toddlers would. Who on earth thought this was a good idea?

I feel bad for the thousands of great font designers of the world. I don't think I've seen a major company ever be this unoriginal and off the mark.

Flatland_Spider
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:04 am

So they hired a graphics design intern to redesign their logo, and this is what they got. :)

I'm with puppetworx, this is too simplistic. It's not the flatness that's the problem; it's the lack of serifs and the extra weight. The serifs provided a design flourish that the new san serif font lacks. It gives the logo character. The new weight gives it a heavy and ponderous look. Previously the logo looked lithe and playful.

Honestly, this looks like something that would be found on a page where the person is trying trick people into thinking they're using Google, but they don't want to get sued for copyright infringement. It looks like the Google logo, but it's not quite the Google logo.

With flatness, people actually have to design stuff. They have to have the details just right or it comes off as amateurish, under designed, and is a UX nightmare. Examples of bad flatness: Anything Microsoft has attempted, Gnome 3, iOS 7+, Lenovo's new logo, Google's new logo.
Examples of good flatness: Google Material, KDE 5

meerkt
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:07 am

Google's logo was always somewhat ugly. A random, not very pleasant, serif font that they stuck with probably just because it was close to what random font they used when they started. And yet, because of the strange font choice it had some character. The new font is not ugly, but with no extra decoration it has no character.

Logitech's old logo was much nicer, with an interesting icon (reminds me of LucasArts), but at least the new one does have something memorable.

Microsoft's is a bore, and fits perfectly with the new Windows "logo", which fits perfectly with the new ugly UI since Win8 that's only gotten worse in Win10.

I wonder who's next. IBM? Maybe not, because their target audience is not the general populace.

Flatland_Spider wrote:
Examples of bad flatness: Anything Microsoft has attempted
Metro isn't bad, the problem is in the desktop/classic GUI.

ronch
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:41 am

I think it's childish and ugly. But you know these big companies. They probably spent a billion dollars and 6 months designing new logos. Then when the stock dips one point they fire a thousand employees.

And then there's this flat colors fad. I hope it dies a painful, horrible death.
NEC V20 > AMD Am386DX-40 > AMD Am486DX2-66 > Intel Pentium-200 > Cyrix 6x86MX-PR233 > AMD K6-2/450 > AMD Athlon 800 > Intel Pentium 4 2.8C > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800 > AMD Phenom II X3 720 > AMD FX-8350 > RYZEN?

Krogoth
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:59 am

Comic sans strikes back with a vengeance....
Gigabyte X670 AORUS-ELITE AX, Raphael 7950X, 2x16GiB of G.Skill TRIDENT DDR5-5600, Sapphire RX 6900XT, Seasonic GX-850 and Fractal Define 7 (W)
Ivy Bridge 3570K, 2x4GiB of G.Skill RIPSAW DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Corsair CX-750M V2, and PC-7B

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:38 am

puppetworx wrote:
I feel bad for the thousands of great font designers of the world. I don't think I've seen a major company ever be this unoriginal and off the mark.

But... but... they TILTED the 'E''!!!
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Jatheon
Gerbil

Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:50 am

Waco wrote:
I prefer the old one. The new one is too...flat and generic.

I'm also for old one, it's much much better than this new.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:15 am

just brew it! wrote:

Feh, that's old hat.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:01 pm

ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Feh, that's old hat.

If you're going to tilt the "E", go big or go home (or do both).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:12 pm

Sargent Duck wrote:
Does seem like a trend. Microsoft changed the font on "Microsoft" as well...last year? Also flattened out the Windows logo as well.
Microsoft used to have a more interesting logo, though it was also part of the "stripey" (and "Death Star") iconography that was trendy for a while. Companies can be as susceptible to fashion and chasing the popular trends as people. And overall there's a common tendency to move towards more abstract logos as a company becomes well-known: early on, you're trying to tell people what you do (or where you're from); later, once you're a familiar brand, you don't have to be so literal in your iconography and can go with the kind of "grown up" abstraction that seems to fit in better on corporate letter head and Wall Street prospectuses.

However, there is a technical reason for the recent move towards flatness, simplicity, and strong colors, and it's as plain as the dpi of your phone screen and the tinyness of the icons thereon.

atari030
Gerbil

Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:44 pm

The Egg wrote:
The new one looks a bit childish, but it hardly means much to me.

Given the association of the corporate name with the numeric googol and the origins of that term, it actually seems quite fitting it's a bit childish.

However, that still doesn't mean I like it either. Nothing very novel, attractive, or clever behind it.

The original SGI logo or Sun Micro logo.....now those are interesting logos.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:29 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
If you're going to tilt the "E", go big or go home (or do both).

Go to Jail. Go directly to Jail...
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration