Moving to the Country

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Postposted on Thu Jan 10, 2002 7:47 pm

Gonna eat a lot of peaches. Maybe, but I will be back on modem. Sucks. Unless I get one of those satellite dish services, like this http://www.hns.com/direcway/intro.htm , a little on the expensive side but faster than modem. The only thing is that all the satellite systems are USB connection. Isn't USB kinda slow? Wouldn't it be the bottle neck? You would think they would use some sort of network adapter like on DSL. I'm not sure how fast a USB port is. Any Ideas?
newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postposted on Thu Jan 10, 2002 8:54 pm

<A href="http://searchenterpriseservers.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid25_gci214166,00.html">12Mb/s is the speed of USB</A>.

So, it's a tiny bit faster than the speed of those cheap <a href="http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci212080,00.html">10BASE-T NIC's</a> that most cable and xDSL service providers give you.

It is adequate solution.
"Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!"
Ryu Connor
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3450
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: Marietta, GA

Postposted on Thu Jan 10, 2002 10:35 pm

Well how much do you have or are willing to spend?? Also how far out in the country are we talking about? If you just moved to this "newly developed" are you could expect cable soon but if were talking far out than satelite would be fine...as long as you can hand over the cash.
J5
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: Minnesota

Postposted on Thu Jan 10, 2002 11:18 pm

After the cash is flowing you will see the latentcy. Errrgh. 200ms just to transmit and receive the signal from the satellite...
Xylker
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Postposted on Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:36 am

Hey didn't think USB was that fast cool.
On 2002-01-10 20:54, Ryu Connor wrote:
<A href="http://searchenterpriseservers.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid25_gci214166,00.html">12Mb/s is the speed of USB</A>.

So, it's a tiny bit faster than the speed of those cheap <a href="http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci212080,00.html">10BASE-T NIC's</a> that most cable and xDSL service providers give you.

It is adequate solution.

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postposted on Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:42 am

No new developement I'm moving about 60 miles outside of DFW to a little house on 28ac. A town of about 100 is 12 miles. The only service I'll have is electricity and a propane tank.
On 2002-01-10 22:35, J5 wrote:
Well how much do you have or are willing to spend?? Also how far out in the country are we talking about? If you just moved to this "newly developed" are you could expect cable soon but if were talking far out than satelite would be fine...as long as you can hand over the cash.
newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postposted on Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:55 am

God I wish I could get a house with 28ac for a decent price around here. Maryland is just too damn crowded and expensive.
ANApex
Gerbil XP
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: PA

Postposted on Fri Jan 11, 2002 5:59 am

Oh and phone service
On 2002-01-11 05:42, newbie_of_jan0502 wrote:
No new developement I'm moving about 60 miles outside of DFW to a little house on 28ac. A town of about 100 is 12 miles. The only service I'll have is electricity and a propane tank.
On 2002-01-10 22:35, J5 wrote:
Well how much do you have or are willing to spend?? Also how far out in the country are we talking about? If you just moved to this "newly developed" are you could expect cable soon but if were talking far out than satelite would be fine...as long as you can hand over the cash.

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postposted on Sun Jan 13, 2002 12:37 am

LOL my grammar is bad.
J5
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: Minnesota

Postposted on Mon Jan 14, 2002 5:48 am

Well I closed on my house yesterday. That was the most cash I ever spent in my life. I'm going to be broke for a long time. This is a lot of property and I have some equipment to buy before spring, like a riding lawn mower.
newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postposted on Sat Jan 19, 2002 4:05 pm

Well, you can expect crappy phone service too. I'm in a rural area, and limited to 28.8 over the clothesline and twine that they call phone wire around here. But I soon will have cable.

So, you have a choice between horribly lagged sattelite (no games) or dialup that may really suck
ExcessOrder
Gerbil
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Hamilton, NY

Postposted on Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:04 pm

Over half of Minnesota is sparse country, but there are at least three companies that offer wireless service of some kind out in the boonies. I worked for one of them, and I have a friend that did the same thing at the other end of the state. The local phone companies can't give great lines for dialup service, but if you can get around that, they never seem to have trouble with their dedicated circuits...
champs
Gerbil First Class
 
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Postposted on Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:51 pm

I finally did it I moved. What a pain. I didn't get the house on 28ac but I did get a much nicer one on 4ac. I'm about 8 miles from a little town that has cable modem (lucked) and my house is one of the furthest out of town that they service (extra lucked). The cable is only single conductor coax but my download are almost as fast as the old DSL. I've never lived out in the country, it is freaking dark. I also have a little pond out back about 200 yards from the house and there must be a million frogs and toads in it.
newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1770
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:00 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postposted on Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:54 pm

Dude, I'm jealous. :)

I grew up in the country, and miss it terribly.
DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 827
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: North Dakota NoMoah!

Postposted on Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:05 pm

USB has a theoretical data rate of 12MBPS, but in practice it's more like 6. Ethernet is 10MBPS, but it's only 40% efficient, so you're only getting 4 from it. Of course, the best satellite download rate that you have any hope of getting is around 100X slower...
You are false data.
Speed
Gerbil Elite
 
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: Chicago, IL USA


Return to The Back Porch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests