Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Gundyrat
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Anyone purchased from Crazy eddie online anything at all

Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:53 pm

Well I hope this is the right spot for this
I could have posted it at Audio asylum but Im here more often now adays it seams
Here is the url to eddies has anyone gotten anything from this site or know anything about it
http://store.yahoo.com/crazyeddieonline/index.html
My deliema goes as listed below
The PC is 5 years old p233 really out of date and I plan on spending about 1600 to 2k
But I also have this itch to buy a new Reciever for my HT
My current Pioneer VSX-D3S First gen AC-3 has no Cheapy optical ports 1 AC-3 RF input and a pcm spdif coax i presume and it is about 5 years old paid 1300 for it then
a new reciever that can accomidate 2 VCR's standard and a Svhs a sat reciever A high end LD player with Rf out for the Ac-3 demod and a PS2
would also cost about 2k min
Basisly Toslink or optical digital outputs are Fair but they are also cheap to intall in components so most all digital devices of this nature has at least an optical output
Coaxial digital is the proper route to go but up till now was only on the very high end stuff most DVD players today have one or the other sometimes both
What I need here is at least
A optical input for the PS2,sat , LD and at least 2 coaxial inputs one for a Future Dedicated DVD player
The PS2 is only so good
I can spend less for a Reciever but it seams that only those that posess a AC-3 RF out are the pinical units for each of the manufactures I have looked at
I can forget about the AC-3 Rf and just use it as a very xspensive CD player 1400 dollars worth but i would much rather Utilize it for the Dolby digital LD 's I still have
Pioneer elite,VSX-47TX Onkyo, 989 Yamaha, RX-V1
All three are software upgradeable thru an rs 232 port
My system about 15k total was bought during Better times cash is kinda tight these days
This outfit has insane prices so there has to be some sort of catch to it

So I guess the poll is:
A a new much need PC or
B a new Reciever so I can utilize 5.1 from all my sources
Death to the white box brings life to a Black Tower, P4 2.26, GA-8IHXP, GF4 Ti 4400, 80 GB Maxtor, CT5880 Audio, USR V92 Pro mdem,
Windows XP Pro, 16xDVD, 32x10x40 CDRW,
512 mb's PC1066 Bringing New life to EverQuest

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 07, 2002 9:10 pm

hmmmmm Onkyo
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:39 pm

I have been very pleased with all of the Onkyo Integra equipment that I have encountered. I have a 4½-yr-old TX-DS838 that still gets the job done. It replaced an AV-S810 Pro when I could no longer resist upgrading from Dolby Pro-logic to Dolby Digital.

Coldfirex
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:49 pm

Nice one...I couldnt afford more than a TX-DS555 but its no slacker, especially for my needs.
Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

absurdity
Gerbil Elite

Fri Jun 07, 2002 11:11 pm

Onkyo...drool. I have an Onkyo reciever and CD player, they own.

Gundyrat
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sat Jun 08, 2002 12:17 pm

follow up here my other option is to send my Pioneer in to msb and have it upgraded to dts so it would utilize both Dolby Digital and DTS
thats about 600.00 and then i would have to also get a digital switchert that would give me 2 opticals and a coax input and a coax output to the Reciever thats about another 500
But what it will not Give me is Pro logic 2 DTS-ES NEO-6
THX-EX THX-ULTA2
Death to the white box brings life to a Black Tower, P4 2.26, GA-8IHXP, GF4 Ti 4400, 80 GB Maxtor, CT5880 Audio, USR V92 Pro mdem,

Gershwin
Gerbil XP

Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:37 pm

If they've got ratings and customer satisfaction anywhere near the same league as Newegg, MWave or EMS Computing... go for it.

If they're a half-ass outfit with **** return policies, dumbfuk sales agents, expensive shipping (e.g., with excessive handling charges thrown in), and a history of mediocre to poor customer service.... I'd say give them a pass.

You can call and ask them for their return policies (who pays shipping, what's refund/exchange policy), lengths of satisfaction guarantees, restock fees, etc.

What have you learned about Crazy Eddie's from the various feedback sites out there (BBB, Bizrate, etc. etc.) or from calling them and asking?

Another way to purchase at incredibly good prices is to use eBay and buy from people with excellent feedback (i.e., no negatives or just a few negatives with 1000's of good feedback).

Gundyrat
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:04 pm

Well Bizrate just has them listed no customer feedback yet the BBB has no listing of them period in NJ
but then they not be listed with the BBB
As for Cnet i havnt found the Sites rating yet
leaning toward Etronics
Bizrated High
they run about 150 buckand thru the bizrate site i was able to findout the shipping and also read some customer feedback
shipping is about 40
Go ing to keep looking for ratings going to get the pc now then hopefully around dec i'll cash a couple weeks vac in and spring for a new reciever
give this one one I have to my Son I guess.
and continue to save what I do not spend on the pc.
The Onkyo is not there integra version they have aperently split the company up and the integras are sold under the intergra line name
The Pioneer elite is ther better quality stuff and the rosewood endpanels and black Urishi finish would match my CLD97 LD player
same goes for the Yamaha there DSP line is there top notch line
Have always admired there attention to Detail in there DSP units and Soundfield choices
but really all of that is irevelant it basicly comes down to I/O 's both anolog and Digital I/O
THD's are all roughly the same my definitve Techs are 6 ohm nominal
Mean time ill keep shopping
Thanks for the input

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:54 pm

I like the Onkyo Integra line. The regular Onkyo line has not impressed me as much. The amplifiers and receivers seem to be better than most, but the other components don't look like anything special.

I picked up an open-box Onkyo amplifier, tuner and cassette deck several years ago at my local Circuit City (I wanted the Onkyo tuner to work with my AV-S810 Pro amplifier and remote, and the price I negotiated for the stack of open box/used stuff was less than a new tuner by itself). The equipment is just okay. It does not ooze quality the way that the Integra line does. I am still (very rarely) using the dual cassette deck, but it is less capable than the then 7-yr-old Sanyo cassette that I had. I keep it because the s-link cable lets it work remotely with the Onkyo receiver and because I only use it once or twice a year. My brother is still using the amplifier and tuner.

Gundyrat
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2002 7:38 pm

odd how we sometimes will keep an item just because of some one of a kind funky connection
this itch has been brewing for a long time now
Be nice if I could just locate an adapter to go from Toslink (optical) to a Coaxial Digital input there are a few but around 300 to 500 bucks
you can buy new units now even as low as 199 with at least one input of each
But if you happen to own and still want to utilize a LD player with a AC-3 RF output then you have to spend an aditional 2000+ list just so you can utilize that one of a kind funky connector that you just cannot seam to live with out
I suppose if I had just got the normal pioneer line LD player for about 300 I could justify offing it and getting a Reciever for far less and still meet my I/O needs
But thats hard to swallow when you laid out 1400 and that even was discounted from the original Price they posted
wonderfull sounding unit Pioneer elite CLD 79 eriler was a mistype this is the correct unit ID

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Jun 12, 2002 8:31 pm

About four years ago, I got the cheaper Pioneer LD player (DVL-700) that has both AC-3 RF and optical outputs. This versatile box replaced an aging CLD-701 LD player as well as a stand-alone CD player. I use the optical connection for CDs and DVDs and use the AC-3 for laserdiscs. I haven't quite used up all of the inputs on the TX-DS838 yet. My AV component that is currently most in need of upgrading is my TV, and the prices on HDTV-ready units are still too high for my liking. (Of course, then I would have to get a progressive-scan DVD player, and I'd be back sinking money into home theater instead of computers.)

Gundyrat
Gerbil First Class
Topic Author

UPDATE

Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:20 pm

Holy COW its been a long time
Well you all know I got the Pc mid year last year and prob havn't been in here since then oops!!!!!!!
Well heres the Home Theater Update
I now have in my Home Theater Arsonel a New Receiver
http://www.ecost.com
seams to carry from time to time Factory Refurb pioneer products and other brands
And I happened to noticed they had this one particlar Receiver I wanted
and I took the chance ......
Well I am xstremely pleased with the results :)
What I have is a Pioneer Elite VSX-49TX 130 watts x7
all formats DD, DTS, DD-EX, DTS-ES, NEO:6, Dolby Prologic II, THX Ultra II
SACD multichannel, LCD Touchscreen Remote
These carry a MSRP of $4200
On ebay and countless other non Factory authorized websites they sell between 2310 to 2500 with out a Factory warrenty.
but as a Factory Refurb unit they carry a factory 90 day warrenty and I also purchased a small suplimental warrenty
I paid 1599
1680 with warrenty and shipping for this 65lb Marvel
I cannot tell you how incredible this unit is and how smooth it sounds
The Store where I purchase most of my gear from couldn't believe the price as they also sell this unit at full retail and think it is a wonderful unit for its price range
I ended up giving them a little business as I needed to buy 4 new speaker mounts for my Side and Back surounds and coulnt find mounts anywere else that could support a 25 lb bookshelf speaker
anyway now a days I spend a lot of time in another web based forums group called
Home Theater Discussion
at http://www.hometheaterdiscussion.com
my handle there is gundyrat