IMDB and LotR

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Postposted on Sun Jan 27, 2002 4:45 pm

Hi,

I noticed over at the IMDB site that people had voted the new LotR movie to the number one slot in the list of greatest movies ever. As of this week some time it's slipped back to number 2. What do the folks here think - does it really rate up the with classics like The Godfather, and better than Schindler's List, Star Wars, Rear Window, Saving Private Ryan and suchlike? Sure I enjoyed the movie, but I wouldn't rate it in my list of greatest movies of all time. And I'm a New Zealander, so I should be biased :smile:

Maybe it's because I didn't think the book translated that well to the big screen, even given a 3-hour movie. I am looking forward to the DVD with an extra 30-40 minutes of material - it should flesh out the second half of the movie better.

Bruce
Bruce
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Jan 28, 2002 1:19 am

I gotta agree with you on this one, Bruce. No way is LOTR the best movie of all time, or even in the top ten -- though it's certainly a good movie, and _maybe_ in the top 100 or so.

Unfortunately with IMDB's userbase I would expect the latest 'movie fad' to be able to sway any public poll it puts up. Similarly, if any determined, online fan group wants to sway the ratings, it can do so easily. Really, any halfway savvy users will be able to load the votes one way or the other.

Unfortunate but true.

-Polare
Polare
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Mon Jan 28, 2002 5:11 am

I thought you had to be registered to vote? Nothing to stop fake registrations I guess....
Bruce
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Jan 30, 2002 12:49 am

Oh man don't even get me started. I love that site and everything but some of those user comments get me so pissed off!! I really hate the Speilberg bashers who just don't like him because he is who he is. I think he can make films that are incredible and just because he adds some sentimental moments doesn't mean he is a soft loser. Sure I'll agree he isn't always the best but far better than most!
J5
Gerbil First Class

Return to The Back Porch