Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:20 pm

I'm with you -- IMO Drama is a very under-appreciated Yes album.

A lot of people don't care for Relayer either, and I would put that up there among my favorites.

OTOH, I've never been able to get into TFTO; apparently it is one of those "love it or hate it" sort of things. (Captain Ned is in the "love it" camp, IIRC.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:42 pm

just brew it! wrote:
OTOH, I've never been able to get into TFTO; apparently it is one of those "love it or hate it" sort of things. (Captain Ned is in the "love it" camp, IIRC.)

Yep. I stopped at Union (not fond of the album, but the resulting tour was excellent).
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:31 pm

vince wrote:
I'm listening to the new Yes album (Fly From Here). I've been very hesitant about this one, but I must say that I've been very pleasantly surprised. Some parts are very Drama-ish, and that's understandable considering where the Fly From Here suite first started, the players and and the producer of the album, but to me that's very good because Drama is an excellent (and under-appreciated) album.

I know many people dislike the fact they changed their lead singer, and I can understand that (I will not debate this here), but I'm more of an open-mind type. So that's why I overcame my hesitation and went forward with this one.

So the Japanese release of this CD has a bonus track:

12. Hour Of Need (Full Length Version) (6:46)

And the “moron in a hurry” in me read that track as:

Hour of Ned :wink:

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:10 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Grabbed a copy of Mary Fahl's (former lead singer of October Project) "From The Dark Side Of The Moon" yesterday as an Amazon MP3 download and I'm on my third listen now. It's a track-by-track cover of the classic Pink Floyd album. My opinion of recorded (studio) covers tends to be "don't bother unless you've got a new twist to put on the original," and Fahl succeeds. It's quirky, and at times darker/creepier than the Floyd version. Fahl's powerful voice is (as expected) the centerpiece; some parts which were played on guitar or keyboards on the original are even replaced with wordless vocals.

Recommended!

Yup! I finally listened to it the entire way through... Good shiz indeed! Her covers of "Money" and "Any Colour You Like" songs I enjoyed the most.

Now for a PF cover oddity... Rednex (makers of that zany song Cotton Eyed Joe) does a cover of "Wish You Were Here" at: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x40e3y ... here_music

More cover's from an old 1995 Industrial compilation, for $1-3 only, at: http://www.amazon.com/Saucerful-Pink-Tr ... 415&sr=1-1

2 recommended songs from that compilation are:

Furnace "Hey You" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24kiTIDQt9Q

Controlled Bleeding "Another Brick In The Wall parts 1-2" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ob5GtkO0V4 (skip to 2:11 to forward past the intro).

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:48 pm

thegleek wrote:
Yup! I finally listened to it the entire way through... Good shiz indeed! Her covers of "Money" and "Any Colour You Like" songs I enjoyed the most.

Yeah, I figured I had to give it a try after you posted about it a little while back; it sounded intriguing, and did not disappoint!

Now I'd also like a copy of this. I'm certain it will be NOTHING AT ALL like the Mary Fahl version! :wink:

NP: Dream Theater's cover version of King Crimson's "Larks Tongues in Aspic Part II" (and FWIW aside from taking it at a somewhat faster tempo, I think they stick a little TOO close to the original...)

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:34 pm

Bill Bruford and Michiel Borstlap - Every Step A Dance, Every Word A Song

Anyone who enjoyed Bruford's 1980s collaborations with keyboardist Patrick Moraz -- especially the first one, "Music For Piano And Drums" -- will probably like this. It's less experimental (and closer to traditional jazz) than most of MFPAD, but equally enjoyable IMO.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:42 pm

I've always liked Bruford in Yes & King Crimson guise, though he never really fit in with the rest of the gang in his one tour with Genesis in 1976.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:58 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I've always liked Bruford in Yes & King Crimson guise, though he never really fit in with the rest of the gang in his one tour with Genesis in 1976.

If the vast majority of the stuff he's done outside of Yes/Crimson is any indication, he was probably more interested in playing fusion and jazz all along. Of the three famous bands he's been involved with, Crimson was the one with a significant improvisational aspect to their music, so I don't find it at all surprising he stuck with them the longest.

I imagine the rigid constraints imposed by being Genesis' touring drummer drove him a little nuts. While he still manages to put his (unmistakable) imprint on those drum parts, you can only deviate so far when performing a song like Cinema Show!

vince
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:29 am

just brew it! wrote:
I'm with you -- IMO Drama is a very under-appreciated Yes album.

A lot of people don't care for Relayer either, and I would put that up there among my favorites.

And I'm with you on Relayer and TFTO! I should give TFTO another try though. A somewhat similar scenario for me was with Genesis' Lamb album. I didn't like it at first, except for a couple of tracks. Then after some years I gave it another try, and now I really like the album...
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work unless it's open"... Frank Zappa

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:58 am

vince wrote:
And I'm with you on Relayer and TFTO! I should give TFTO another try though.

I give it a spin once every couple of years or so, and go "Yeah, still don't care much for this..." :lol:

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:45 am

just listened to Relayer all the way through... most "boringest" music ever made. i want back that hour of my life to listen to something better! argh!
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:54 am

thegleek wrote:
just listened to Relayer all the way through... most "boringest" music ever made. i want back that hour of my life to listen to something better! argh!

Like I said, a lot of people don't care for it; you were warned up front, so don't blame me for your lost hour! :lol:

Not sure how anyone could describe it as "boring" though. While I'll acknowledge that "To Be Over" is fairly lightweight, the rest of the album is quite the musical roller coaster ride.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:59 am

just brew it! wrote:
Not sure how anyone could describe it as "boring" though.

Soundchaser boring?? NOT!

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:07 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Not sure how anyone could describe it as "boring" though.

Soundchaser boring?? NOT!

While we're in agreement on this, you also like TFTO so you can't be trusted... :wink:

vince
Gerbil XP

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:27 am

It's not even an hour, it's just over 40 minutes... (I just know you're gonna say "it felt like an hour") hehe :lol:
"The mind is like a parachute: it doesn't work unless it's open"... Frank Zappa

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:24 pm

Not much for country music, but listening to this new compilation:

The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams Sr

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Notebooks-Ha ... 378&sr=1-1
––•–√\/––√\/––•–– nostalgia is an emotion for people with no future ––•–√\/––√\/––•–-

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:52 pm

Led Zeppelin and the Beatles mono remasters in Flac. Lossless is the way to go. There are actually instruments in this music I'd never heard before.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:16 pm

Just finished A Game of Thrones, read by Roy Dotrice. Does that count for this thread?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:48 pm

BuddhistFish wrote:
Beatles mono remasters.

Forget anything you ever thought about how the Beatles should sound until you hear the mono box set. It's the Beatles as George Martin and the boys originally intended for it to sound.

MJZ82
Gerbil

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:11 am

Current track: Sad by Pearl Jam

BuddhistFish - FLAC is great, if you have a decent audio setup. MP3 compression has definitely gotten better though... I remember a few years back when everything had some amount of that swirly sound, particularly in the high frequencies... much better these days. I have a decent stereo but recently set up my headphone amp and forgot what a difference that makes.

ultima_trev
Gerbil XP

Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:19 am

Psycroptic - Initiate

Extremely good progressive death metal from Australia. Anyone who fancies music that's darker in nature ought to give it a listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHbu2xKP59A
Ryzen 7 1800X - Corsair H60i - GA AB350 Gaming - 32GB DDR4 2933 at 16,16,16,36 - GTX 1080 at 1924 / 5264 (undervolted) - 250GB WD Blue SSD - 2TB Toshiba 7200rpm HDD

Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:09 am

Wow....the soundtrack to Deus Ex: Human Revolution is amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiN6t7K7txw
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:55 am

Donna Summer - McArthur Park

It's a gloomy day here and I've been going back to music from my high school years. Yes, they were the disco years. My high school marching band played Do The Hustle at every parade.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:21 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Donna Summer - McArthur Park

It's a gloomy day here and I've been going back to music from my high school years. Yes, they were the disco years. My high school marching band played Do The Hustle at every parade.

Heh... never liked that song. When I revisit my high school years musically, I tend to turn to Yes, Rush, Genesis, Kansas, Heart...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:00 am

just brew it! wrote:
Heh... never liked that song. When I revisit my high school years musically, I tend to turn to Yes, Rush, Genesis, Kansas, Heart...

As do I normally, but somehow a link appeared and I went back to the disco era (says one who still owns the vinyl soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever).

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:37 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I went back to the disco era (says one who still owns the vinyl soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever).
Bee Gees
:)

When you say "Disco", I flash back to something like this:
Donna Summer

Or this one:
Rose Royce

Of course this:
KC & The Sunshine Band

I can't stop now:
Earth Wind and Fire (Check out those costumes! :o )

And this: 8)
Wild Cherry

It's all good.
Kool and the Gang

While I purchased two or three of those on 45, I'm afraid I might also have purchased this one. :oops:
Rick Dees

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:41 pm

Ah, so you had a corduroy leisure suit too. Weren't the Seventies a "special" time?

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:24 pm

The Blue Man Group - The Complex

Picked it up on a whim. Has a lot of 'guest' musicians which make it almost like a soundtrack-ish type album with different artists. Has a great cover of Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit.

It's a great genre-bending modern album, not quite electronic, not quite rock, not quite anything....an (imo) intentional contradiction between generally upbeat tempo music and contemplative or thought-provoking, bordering on depressing depending upon your job satisfaction, lyrics. A concept album really in the original works which philosophizes modern corporate life in the cube-farm working world.

Highly recommended!

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:55 am

MadManOriginal wrote:
The Blue Man Group - The Complex

Yeah, I was impressed with this one too. Surprisingly good (and creative) music for a "manufactured" group.

According to Wikipedia their stage show is still running in 5 cities, plus they've got a touring show now.

JustAnEngineer wrote:
While I purchased two or three of those on 45, I'm afraid I might also have purchased this one. :oops:
Rick Dees

Ouch! I'd completely forgotten about that one! :lol:

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:19 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
I went back to the disco era (says one who still owns the vinyl soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever).

my turn!

when you say "disco", i flash back to something like this:
yarbrough & peoples

...or this one:
amii stewart

...of course this:
sylvester

i can't stop now:
patrick hernandez

...and this:
captain & tenille

it's all good in da hood, and yes, even the ROLLING STONES had a groovy disco track:
rolling stones

while i purchased 100's (still have them all) on 45s and LPs, i'm afraid i might also have purchased this one! :oops:
mystery!

and yes, i have 2 or 3 copies of the grease/saturday night soundtrack on wax! :o