Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: What are you listening to RIGHT NOW?

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OcA_XQkhzg

Two Croatian (I think, it's from Dubrovnik) guys playing AC/DC on cellos with a full rock backup band.

Reminds me quite a bit of Apocalyptica. Saw Apocalyptica live a few years ago in Chicago; great fun!

I don't see a full backup band there in the clip you linked, just a drummer. Run a cello through guitar effects/amp and it can sound a lot like a rhythm guitar! :wink:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:54 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I don't see a full backup band there in the clip you linked, just a drummer. Run a cello through guitar effects/amp and it can sound a lot like a rhythm guitar! :wink:

Yep. my bad.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yep. my bad.

In a (somewhat) related vein: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj0m7h72IHU

(Skip forward to 1:50 if you don't want to wait through the pointless chatter.)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:48 pm

just brew it! wrote:
In a (somewhat) related vein: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj0m7h72IHU

(Skip forward to 1:50 if you don't want to wait through the pointless chatter.)

Oh, they seem like a great band to watch while drinking to excess. Their War Pigs was pretty good as well.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:59 am

The Complete Works of H.P. Lovecraft link

While I know the stories/themes roughly I've never actually read any of it. Now I am.

DOh wrong thread!
Last edited by tanker27 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:54 am

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OcA_XQkhzg

Two Croatian (I think, it's from Dubrovnik) guys playing AC/DC on cellos with a full rock backup band.

Reminds me quite a bit of Apocalyptica. Saw Apocalyptica live a few years ago in Chicago; great fun!

That was totally awesome.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Orwell wrote:
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-Earth

Yes, a whole CD at once, because it's that good. And because proper music is required when programming.

I picked this up recently, listening to it now. It's not quite my normal type of music but similar to some prog rock I like...good listen.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:52 am

Terje Rypdal - "If Mountains Could Sing" (the full album, not the track... in general when I post stuff in this thread I'm referring to full albums)

I'm sure I've mentioned him before. Obscure (at least here in the US) Norwegian guitarist/composer who's been around since the late 1960s. One of my favorite musicians... I own a couple dozen or so of his CDs (mostly his solo projects, but also a few collaborations and other projects where he appears as a sideman).

Cites Hendrix as a major influence, but stylistically he's rather eccentric and all over the map, from Euro-jazz to rock to modern classical. One of the things I really like about this album is that it seems to be a bit of a mash-up of all of the above! :wink:

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:01 am

Pendulum - Propane Nightmares.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPbeEtjo70g
Love the music, love the video (based on the real-life "Heaven's Gate" cult).
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:42 am

JohnC wrote:
I used to be really into Pendulum! I guess I lost interest. (^・ェ・^ )

I'm listening to Returning We Hear The Larks, specifically their 2010 release 'Ypres'. It's okay; their most recent release 'Far-Stepper/Of Wide Sea' is way better.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:57 am

auxy wrote:
JohnC wrote:

I was subjected to them a few years ago (went to see them with my son and his psycho then-GF). Can't say I really saw the attraction. (Of Pendulum *or* the psycho GF! :lol:)

smilingcrow
Gerbil

Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:46 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Terje Rypdal - "If Mountains Could Sing"

He’s a blast from my past and haven’t listened to him much for about 30 years. I used to have the album he did with Vitous & Dejohnette on vinyl. I used to love a lot of the stuff that ECM put out in the 70s and 80s but fell out of touch with it.
Listening to Will from that album right now although the Weather Report original is more to my taste.

confusedpenguin
Gerbil Team Leader

Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:10 pm

I'm listening to Blind Guardian - Wheel of Time, using Foobar2000 with ASIO on an Asus Xonar Essence ST outputting to a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speakers. IT SOUNDS EPIC!!!!

MadManOriginal
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:53 pm

Keeping with the prog rock theme - Liquid Tension Experiment 2.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:08 pm

smilingcrow wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Terje Rypdal - "If Mountains Could Sing"

He’s a blast from my past and haven’t listened to him much for about 30 years. I used to have the album he did with Vitous & Dejohnette on vinyl.

The follow-up to the Rypdal/Vitous/DeJohnette album (titled "To Be Continued...") is also quite good. http://www.allmusic.com/album/to-be-con ... 0000540119

smilingcrow wrote:
I used to love a lot of the stuff that ECM put out in the 70s and 80s but fell out of touch with it.

They're still around, still doing their thing. Rypdal is even still on ECM, and releasing albums occasionally. They also release some classical recordings now; Andras Schiff's complete Beethoven Piano Sonata cycle on ECM is phenomenal.

It amazes me that an eclectic recording label with a near-total disregard for commercial potential has managed to survive for nearly a half century. It is especially hard to imagine them doing that in the pre-Internet era, when nearly all of their promotion must have been word-of-mouth.

smilingcrow
Gerbil

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:58 pm

just brew it! wrote:
The follow-up to the Rypdal/Vitous/DeJohnette album (titled "To Be Continued...") is also quite good. http://www.allmusic.com/album/to-be-con ... 0000540119.

I was aware of its existence but have not heard it. I like allmusic.com as a resource for music and it is usually my first port of call.

just brew it! wrote:
They're still around, still doing their thing. Rypdal is even still on ECM, and releasing albums occasionally. They also release some classical recordings now; Andras Schiff's complete Beethoven Piano Sonata cycle on ECM is phenomenal.

I was somewhat obsessed with the whole aesthetic of ECM. From the covers to the obvious commitment to music which was clearly usually not commercial; glad that they did well commercially with some Keith Jarrett and Pat Metheny albums. Amazing how well Jarrett’s Koln Concert sold considering the nature of the music!

I was fortunate when I lived in London to hear quite a number of ECM artists in concert and the trio of Garbarek, Gismonti and Haden as heard on Magico and a second album was particularly memorable. Another highlight was Lester Bowie playing with Fontella Bass and David Peaston in a jazz/gospel fusion. They did record for ECM but it wasn’t the same line-up and wasn’t a patch on the live version. The only thing I’ve heard since that comes close in quality is Kirk Whalum’s jazz/gospel concerts but as good as they are they aren’t nearly as earthy as Bowie’s outfit with his ex wife. I heard Whalum playing an intimate duet show in a small community centre in Liverpool last year and it was excellent but on speaking with him afterwards he seemed a bit lightweight; my intensity can be a bit intimidating though. :)

I also recall hearing the Jarrett trio with Haden & DeJohnette. He made such an egoistical rant before they started playing that I wished I’d gone to see Eno giving a talk that evening instead. No wonder Jarrett had a major breakdown of sorts as he clearly had serious psychological issues. I do love his 70s Scandinavian quartet though with Garbarek that recorded Nude Ants and others on ECM.

I’m not so interested in classical music in general although I love Arvo Part and early music both of which feature on ECM’s other imprints I think! The Hilliard Ensemble I particularly like and I think their albums with Garbarek are on ECM! My parents heard a Part world premiere near Cardiff in a cathedral and were both moved to tears. He was present if I recall correctly and I’d love to have been there as the environment must have been so right for his music.
A musical highlight for me was at a TM meditation weekend 20 years ago. A small group of us (~20) meditated for 20 minutes and then one of the group played the Sitar immediately afterwards. It was so intimate and the music seemed an extension of the meditation. I haven’t been to a gig in a large venue for ages.

I have a Zune pass (not sure what it’s called this week) and they do have some ECM stuff available to subscribers although much of it seems to be purchase only so is there anything else you recommend?
If Mountains Could Sing is available to me so I’ve downloaded that to check it out as I like Rypdal’s sort of ambient Hendrixism. I still dig Jimi as he is a timeless classic.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:11 pm

smilingcrow wrote:
I have a Zune pass (not sure what it’s called this week) and they do have some ECM stuff available to subscribers although much of it seems to be purchase only so is there anything else you recommend?
If Mountains Could Sing is available to me so I’ve downloaded that to check it out as I like Rypdal’s sort of ambient Hendrixism. I still dig Jimi as he is a timeless classic.

For Rypdal's ambient side my personal fave is Descendre. He also released three excellent albums which lean more towards the rock side of the spectrum, with a power trio lineup -- Chaser, Blue, and The Singles Collection (the title is a joke). He's also done a Miles Davis tribute of sorts (Vossabrygg).

Off the top of my head, a few other exceptional (to me, anyway...) ECM releases you may or may not have heard:

Steve Tibbetts - Exploded View; Northern Song
David Torn - Cloud About Mercury (with one of my all-time favorite drummers, Bill Bruford)
Bill Connors - Of Mist and Melting
Jan Garbarek - It's OK To Listen To The Grey Voice
Marc Johnson - Bass Desires

(I guess I generally tend to favor stuff where guitar plays a significant role; even the Garbarek one features David Torn quite prominently.)

JohnC
Gerbil Jedi

Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:29 pm

auxy wrote:
JohnC wrote:

I'm listening to Returning We Hear The Larks, specifically their 2010 release 'Ypres'. It's okay; their most recent release 'Far-Stepper/Of Wide Sea' is way better.

I am also not really "into" them... Just this particular song and video :wink:

I mostly "grew up with" and prefer "different" kind of music:
http://youtu.be/uybWvQPRPeg
Though I can also enjoy many other different genres.
Gifter of Nvidia Titans and countless Twitch donation extraordinaire, nothing makes me more happy in life than randomly helping random people

smilingcrow
Gerbil

Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:41 am

just brew it! wrote:
(I guess I generally tend to favor stuff where guitar plays a significant role; even the Garbarek one features David Torn quite prominently.)

Thanks for all the info. They are all people that I’ve listened to although not necessarily the albums you listed.
Speaking purely of the guitarists I know Tibbets work more than the others.
I nearly got to hear Torn playing with David Sylvian but Torn damaged his hand so the tour was cancelled. I had tickets for Stevie Ray Vaughan’s last tour also…
I used to have Rypdal’s Waves on vinyl and might buy that on CD. Per Ulv would have made a good single! One for volume two of his greatest hits maybe. :)

I’ve heard Bruford play a few times. Once with his Earthworks band which included Iain Ballamy (heard him with Loose Tubes also which was wonderful) and more memorably as a double bill of Brand X and Bruford at my hometown university. I’m more of a Brand X fan (Livestock is essential listening and Goodsall’s playing outstanding) and unfortunately Holdsworth had left Bruford by then. It was the same line up as the Bruford Tapes.
I like Holdsworth’s 70s work as a guitarist for hire with Ponty, Lifetime, UK, Bruford, Gong, Soft Machine etc but after that I lost interest. Never really got his solo work so for me he was a great sideman.

I was a massive McLaughlin fan and was fortunate enough when I was still in school to see him playing with Cobham, Jack Bruce and Stu Goldberg. That really blew me away. Love Shakti to.
I also heard Bruford playing with King Crimson with Belew & Levin and that was powerful.
An especially memorable gig for me was Bill Frisell playing in Paul Motian’s trio with Joe Lovano. Frisell was using a looping pedal and with no bass in the band it gave a lot freedom.
John Scofield I like a lot and he can get really funky especially when playing with Medeski, Martin & Wood. I’ve heard him live a few times but not with them but once alongside Mike Stern with Miles Davis. I recall an interview with Stern saying that Miles would whisper in his ear on stage to play some Hendrix sh*t. The first time I heard Miles, Stern was still in the band and he played the riff from Hendrix’s Who Knows and I could swear it got the largest applause of the night. Some of McLaughlin’s work with Miles I love; Duran is less well known and worth a listen.

The concert videos of Jeff Beck (Ronnie Scotts gig etc) that I’ve seen in the last decade have really impressed as have his albums in the same time span. I heard him decades ago and was disappointed.
I’m not up on contemporary stuff as the above shows. :)
I like some Scott Henderson; Slidin’ from his Live album is recommended.
Gary Moore’s work with Colosseum II (70s again) still sounds good to me.
His version of Need Your Love So Bad is outstanding to.
Not so keen on his rock and blues stuff generally. He could rock pretty hard but loads of people can do that but his jazz-rock stuff was more unusual. The parts were written for him in Colosseum II but as he didn’t read music he had to learn them by memory.
Talking of rockers working in a jazz-rock setting Tommy Bolin’s work on Spectrum by Billy Cobham is not to be missed if you like high energy fusion. Haven’t heard anything by him that comes close and to think he ended up with Deep Purple.
Again from the 70s I love (Suite) Golden Dawn by Al Di Meola but just as much because Jaco Pastorius is on bass.

That’s more than enough but are there any more contemporary (90s onwards) guitarists that you recommend as I’m out of the loop with this area mainly.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:04 pm

smilingcrow wrote:
I’ve heard Bruford play a few times. Once with his Earthworks band which included Iain Ballamy (heard him with Loose Tubes also which was wonderful) and more memorably as a double bill of Brand X and Bruford at my hometown university.

Saw him with Crimson once, and in an all-acoustic set with Patrick Moraz (Music For Piano and Drums tour). Annoyed that I've never gotten to see Earthworks live. I own practically every recording he's ever played on. Wish I'd been old enough in the early 1970s to see that incarnation of Crimson, Red is one of my "desert island" discs.

smilingcrow wrote:
I’m more of a Brand X fan (Livestock is essential listening and Goodsall’s playing outstanding)

Ever hear either of the two albums from Fire Merchants (Goodsall side project)? Think "Brand X meets Prog Metal".

smilingcrow wrote:
and unfortunately Holdsworth had left Bruford by then. It was the same line up as the Bruford Tapes.
I like Holdsworth’s 70s work as a guitarist for hire with Ponty, Lifetime, UK, Bruford, Gong, Soft Machine etc but after that I lost interest. Never really got his solo work so for me he was a great sideman.

I love most of his solo stuff, but I can see why many people prefer him as a sideman. The second Bruford album is what originally got me hooked on Holdsworth (and Fusion in general).

smilingcrow wrote:
That’s more than enough but are there any more contemporary (90s onwards) guitarists that you recommend as I’m out of the loop with this area mainly.

I'm less in the loop these days too, but here are a few you may want to check out:

After leaving thrash metal band Testament, Alex Skolnick veered off into funk/fusion and jazz. Both albums he did under the band name Attention Deficit (with Michael Manring, and Tim Alexander of Primus) are worth having. More recently he's released a string of albums which are in more of a traditional jazz vein, starting with an album of jazz arrangements of classic rock tunes titled "Goodbye To Romance: Standards for a New Generation".

Scott McGill is another guitarist I've been enjoying quite a bit. His earlier projects (with his band Hand Farm) are in an aggressive jazz/rock vein; later recordings (with Michael Manring and Vic Stevens) get more experimental. "Addition By Subtraction" and "Controlled By Radar" are excellent examples of the latter.

Fusion veteran Larry Coryell (who had been largely under the radar for a number of years) made a bit of a comeback in the late '90s. "Cause and Effect" (from 1998, with Tom Coster and Steve Smith) really smokes; "The Lift" (recently released) is also a standout.

smilingcrow
Gerbil

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:53 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Saw him with Crimson once, and in an all-acoustic set with Patrick Moraz (Music For Piano and Drums tour). Annoyed that I've never gotten to see Earthworks live. I own practically every recording he's ever played on. Wish I'd been old enough in the early 1970s to see that incarnation of Crimson, Red is one of my "desert island" discs.

I’ve never been a big fan of progressive rock (used in a fuller sense) so Crimson prior to the early 80s version passed me by. I have developed an appreciation for Fripp though through Frippertronics and also his sideman work with Bowie, Sylvian, Eno (more collaborative). Another guitarist who generally works best for me as a sideman!
I’d forgotten about the Moraz/Bruford album. Ex members of Yes and Crimson; no wonder it slipped my mind. :)

just brew it! wrote:
I love most of his solo stuff, but I can see why many people prefer him as a sideman. The second Bruford album is what originally got me hooked on Holdsworth (and Fusion in general).

I downloaded a bunch of his solo stuff via Zune earlier today and am currently listening to him playing on Ian Carr’s (of Nucleus) Belladonna from 72 and that’s the only stuff that’s grabbing me. I’ve listened to Nucleus before without being that impressed but am digging this. Quietly funky with plenty of electric piano.

just brew it! wrote:
Ever hear either of the two albums from Fire Merchants (Goodsall side project)? Think "Brand X meets Prog Metal".

It’s not on Zune and the description has put me off so I’ll probably never get to hear it.
My openness to Jazz/Rock (or fusion) is not so great these days and is partly nostalgic. I can still enjoy some of the stuff I enjoyed in my teens and 20s but find it harder to dig new recordings within this genre. The Ian Carr Belladonna album is unusual as I listened to it all the way through as I usually get bored with this genre these days as my tastes are generally very different nowadays.

just brew it! wrote:
I'm less in the loop these days too, but here are a few you may want to check out:

After leaving thrash metal band Testament, Alex Skolnick veered off into funk/fusion and jazz. Both albums he did under the band name Attention Deficit (with Michael Manring, and Tim Alexander of Primus) are worth having. More recently he's released a string of albums which are in more of a traditional jazz vein, starting with an album of jazz arrangements of classic rock tunes titled "Goodbye To Romance: Standards for a New Generation".

Scott McGill is another guitarist I've been enjoying quite a bit. His earlier projects (with his band Hand Farm) are in an aggressive jazz/rock vein; later recordings (with Michael Manring and Vic Stevens) get more experimental. "Addition By Subtraction" and "Controlled By Radar" are excellent examples of the latter.

I’m listening to He Is Invisible He Cannot Be Seen (Left Brain) from Controlled By Radar right now and liking it.
A lot of this music can sound like people shredding over vamps to me which is why I still appreciate McLaughlin as I think he is a good composer and his solos combine speed and melody.
I’m not a fan of Steve Vai and often find these rock guys to be tedious although I like Satriani from what I’ve heard.
Talking of Vai I heard him playing in Zappa’s band who was a rock player who I really appreciated as he could really fly. Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar is a good starting point although there are plenty of even better guitar tracks spread out across many albums. I found his lyrics often to be puerile but when you can play guitar like that I don’t care.
I only know Michael Manring from his Windham Hill recordings and just read that he was a student of Jaco’s; didn’t even know that he had been a teacher.

just brew it! wrote:
Fusion veteran Larry Coryell (who had been largely under the radar for a number of years) made a bit of a comeback in the late '90s. "Cause and Effect" (from 1998, with Tom Coster and Steve Smith) really smokes; "The Lift" (recently released) is also a standout.

I have one recent Coryell track which is a solo version of the Beatles’ Something. It’s a lot more restrained than his 70s stuff. :)
I was never a big fan of Coryell or The Eleventh House in the 70s as much of it sounded like second rate McLaughlin to me.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:25 pm

smilingcrow wrote:
I’m listening to He Is Invisible He Cannot Be Seen (Left Brain) from Controlled By Radar right now and liking it.

Ahh... if you're liking that track, I would also suggest some of Jonas Hellborg's various albums:

Ars Moriende
Good People in Times of Evil
Octave of the Holy Innocents
Kali's Son
Zenhouse

smilingcrow
Gerbil

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:
smilingcrow wrote:

Ahh... if you're liking that track, I would also suggest some of Jonas Hellborg's various albums:

Ars Moriende
Good People in Times of Evil
Octave of the Holy Innocents
Kali's Son
Zenhouse

Thanks, sounding good so far.
One guitarist I like from recent years is Derek Trucks. Not fusion but a great tone and he does incorporate some Indian influences.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:53 pm

smilingcrow wrote:
One guitarist I like from recent years is Derek Trucks. Not fusion but a great tone and he does incorporate some Indian influences.

Derek was an official Allman Brother and his wife, Susan Tedeschi, plays some mean blues. Susan has played around here in small clubs and she can bring some high-energy blues. Derek seems to have taken the George Harrison path through life with his interest in Indian/Pakistani music. Since I'm fond of that style, it works for me. For a really good West/East combo album, look no further that Ry Cooder & Vishwa Mohan Bhatt and A Meeting by the River.

I'm a prog head no doubt, but mainly English prog. IMO (and only IMO) much of what is called prog today would have been called speed metal 20 years ago. I need melodies and dynamic contrast to call it prog. Again, just me. Blame it on the college years of Yes/Genesis/ELP/Tull/Renaissance/Rush.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:03 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Derek seems to have taken the George Harrison path through life with his interest in Indian/Pakistani music. Since I'm fond of that style, it works for me.

You might want to look into some of those Hellborg albums too, then. :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:10 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Derek seems to have taken the George Harrison path through life with his interest in Indian/Pakistani music. Since I'm fond of that style, it works for me.

Gracias. Is this another Djam Karet?

smilingcrow
Gerbil

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
For a really good West/East combo album, look no further that Ry Cooder & Vishwa Mohan Bhatt and A Meeting by the River.

I love that album and Ry Cooder in general. I was fortunate enough to hear him play live in 81 when he was promoting Borderline. Fantastic band with 3 male backing vocalists and the first rock gig I saw with the verve of a jazz gig.
Love the Paris Texas soundtrack and the album with Manuel Galbán especially.

smilingcrow
Gerbil

Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:

Gracias. Is this another Djam Karet?

Michael Brook is worth checking out (Cobalt Blue etc) and his work with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan is interesting as well as collaborations with Djivan Gasparian and U Srinivas (Dance is the standout track for me).