JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Re: What are you drinking RIGHT NOW?

Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:37 am

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:54 pm

tequila sunrise. mom came up this weekend, and she taught me how to make them tonight. Then I made some...3 shots tequila, 1 cup OJ, 1.5 shots grenadine, 1 maraschino cherry. soooooooo good, why didn't I learn about these earlier in life? oh so good.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:59 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
tequila sunrise. mom came up this weekend, and she taught me how to make them tonight. Then I made some...3 shots tequila, 1 cup OJ, 1.5 shots grenadine, 1 maraschino cherry. soooooooo good, why didn't I learn about these earlier in life? oh so good.

You obviously don't listen to enough Eagles records.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:02 am

oh, I know the sun by heart. I thought it meant drinking through to the morning (slamming tequila until the sun came up).
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:08 am

got that 6-pack of samuel adams' longshot contest winner series.... only got to the 1st bottle of Five Crown Imperial Stout (8.9%/abv). not bad!

Also got -real- lucky and acquired 2 bottles of Founder's latest 2012 KBS! woot

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:27 am

Sculpin, Hop Henge Experimental, Palate Wrecker, and Jewbelation 15. I smelled some Aktien Zwick'l Kellerbier from Bayreuther, but I couldn't taste a damned thing by that time.

This was the second night in a row I had Hop Henge. The first night I had a 5oz of both that and Gubna, and made the mistake of drinking the Hop Henge first. It really isn't that hoppy, but for some reason I could hardly taste the Gubna at all after that. I do love the Hop Henge, though, it has a really nice combination of pine and citrus notes. The malt is really laid back, but that's ok becuase it's so fresh the hops are far from bitter, and it's just enough to support some of the fruitier undertones.

By the time I got to the Palate Wrecker, it almost seemed like an even hoppier version of Hop Henge. It seemed like the balance was pretty similar, but I can't wait to try it first of the night on Monday. I know people talk a lot about caramel malts with it, so I was hoping for something like Ska Decadent underneath, but it was totally lost on me by that point.

The Jewbelation 15, though. I had it once before last December, and this has to be the most malt forward sipper I've had. It's amazing that I can drink a 5oz after Sculpin, Hop Henge, and Palate Wrecker, and it doesn't even skip a beat.
Last edited by Ethyriel on Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:34 am

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:15 am

Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:16 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

that Toasted Coconut Porter sounds delish...

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:18 am

The pilsner tastes very much like Coors.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:34 am

thegleek wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

that Toasted Coconut Porter sounds delish...

Mmm... Toasted Coconut Porter. PM me if you'd like a recipe. (Took a ribbon at the DMC a couple of years back, and another UKG club member using my recipe took a medal at the AHA Nationals last year.)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:15 am

just brew it! wrote:
Mmm... Toasted Coconut Porter. PM me if you'd like a recipe. (Took a ribbon at the DMC a couple of years back, and another UKG club member using my recipe took a medal at the AHA Nationals last year.)

PM'd.

Also, it's 3:15am and I just cracked open a fresh bottle of Derf's Secret Alt (samuel adams longshot series) - 9.3%/abv.

Ethyriel
Gerbil First Class

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:05 pm

If anyone ever sees Aktien Zwick'l, get that s***. It's like an excellent saison meets a märzen. It's a cellar aged lager, that's stored in barrels with the bungs left open. All I know is it's this minerally, yeasty awesomeness that's totally exposed by the fact that it's a damned lager. I don't think I can imagine a more flavorful beer at 5.3%, and I've never tasted anything like it.

Also, Cellar Door is like a sage soda pop in the best possible way. And Palate Wrecker is in fact an awesome balance of pine and citrus in the hops, with an absolute bare minimum of malt, yet really boozy at the same time. But it's ok because the hops are absolutely top notch, and aren't heavy or overly bitter at all.

Yeap, I'm pretty sure I'm an alcoholic.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:45 pm

I'm currently drinking Pale Moon. It's pleasant enough, if somewhat bland.

I tried the end of the world last night. The spice was overpowering. At $11 per 4-pack, I won't be buying that one again. I liked the spiced beers that I've recently tried from Blue Moon and Sam Adams better than this, and they were less than half the price.

NeelyCam
Gerbil First Class

Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:53 pm

About to open a Total Domination IPA.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:08 pm

Tennessee Honey. Sooooo good. Just over ice, no garnish, nothing.

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:18 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Tennessee Honey. Sooooo good. Just over ice, no garnish, nothing.

It is good. I just keep the bottle in a little beverage fridge as opposed to ice, though.

RIGHT NOW there's a Barritts ginger beer half-gone on the desk. Refreshing.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:39 pm

I tried it that way, but I like it over ice more for some reason. I don't suppose it makes much sense.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:02 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I tried it that way, but I like it over ice more for some reason. I don't suppose it makes much sense.

Well, it'll be diluted slightly due to the melting ice, and it'll also be a few degrees colder. So it'll certainly be *different*, and if you like it better that way there's nothing wrong with that.

I am currently drinking two small glasses of warm, flat homebrew straight from the fermenters (an all-Simcoe hops IPA, and an experimental ale made with fermented maple syrup and aged on toasted Hungarian oak chips). I needed to draw some off to force-carbonate for a homebrew competition. Whenever I steal some out of a fermenter like this I run the first few ounces off into a glass to ensure there are no traces of residual sanitizer (from the hoses) in the beer that could potentially react with it and cause off flavors. Can't waste it! (I drink my hydrometer samples too...)

The maple/oak thing is rather strong and sweet... almost more of a liqueur.

I plan to follow up with a glass of Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:13 pm

Toasted Hungarian oak chips, eh?

Are you sure your phrase-book is legit?

Jambe
Gerbil Elite

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Haven't tried it over ice, admittedly. Guess I'll give it a shot.

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:21 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Toasted Hungarian oak chips, eh?

Are you sure your phrase-book is legit?

My fermenter is full of eels... :wink:

They certainly look and smell like toasted oak chips... beyond that I just need to trust the label on the bag that they are actually Hungarian, since I'm not knowledgeable enough about oak to identify its nationality by aroma and/or flavor! :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:25 pm

Jambe wrote:
Haven't tried it over ice, admittedly. Guess I'll give it a shot.

I personally tend to prefer my hard liquor neat (on those rare occasions when I partake of it). Generally I just stick to the beer...

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:46 pm

This is pretty much the only hard liquor I drink straight. Once in a blue moon I'll have some anejo tequila at a bar and that I always drink warm & neat.

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:33 am

Well, it's only 10:27 am, so obviously I'm drinking Rivertown's Roebling Imperial Robust Porter. Coffee, vanilla, and chocolate flavors. Don't judge, because honestly, morning time is the only time this brew is good. It's too thick and heavy to drink during most normal hours of the day. I imagine it's probably best during the months when the dark lingers long and the temperatures linger low.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:47 am

At least you're in the Eastern time zone; if you were on the west coast, it would've been only 7:30 AM! :lol:

Something you may have not thought of: Heavy, sweet beers work well as a dessert. I'm generally not a dessert/sweets fan, but if there's an Imperial Stout (or Barleywine, or Scottish-style Wee Heavy...) on the beer menu, I'll have a liquid dessert!

I've also never thought much of the "light low alcohol beers in summer, heavy strong beers in winter" rule. Screw that. Sometimes you just want an Imperial Stout in July (you should try making an ice cream float with one sometime...), or a wheat beer in the winter! :D

flip-mode
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:53 am

just brew it! wrote:
Sometimes you just want an Imperial Stout in July (you should try making an ice cream float with one sometime...), or a wheat beer in the winter! :D

It's hefeweizen all year long for me.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:05 pm

flip-mode wrote:
It's hefeweizen all year long for me.

Whereas I can't abide wheat beers and will happily drink hop-head IPAs (love me that Dogfish 90/120) year round.

À chacun son goût.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:49 pm

There isn't a style of beer I would outright refuse to drink, though I wouldn't pay for anything in categories 1A-1C with the possible exception (as a last resort) of Sam Adams Light, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Heineken, or Becks. (And the Euro lagers are only worth drinking if they've not been lightstruck... and as a further nitpick, I'm pretty sure that Wiki article is mistaken, I don't think it is UV that is the problem... but I digress. Maybe if I get ambitious I'll do the research and fix the Wiki entry!)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:55 pm

PBR??

So you do have some hipster in you. :wink: