Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Radio Control Hobbies

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:14 pm

I picked up the RC Speedo app and tried it out this weekend. Works pretty well. I flew a bunch of passes over the iPod and all registered between 95 and 110 mph. http://www.rcspeedo.info/

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:10 am

Here are a couple other pictures of the test stand and DLE-111.

Now then. I started the sucker up on Saturday. Here is the youtube video. The ending is pretty spectacular.

--SS

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:56 am

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Here are a couple other pictures of the test stand and DLE-111.

Now then. I started the sucker up on Saturday. Here is the youtube video. The ending is pretty spectacular.

--SS

Scary is more like it :o

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:40 am

I take it she seized up?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
I take it she seized up?

Looks like the prop broke off. The prop serves as the flywheel, these engines can't run without a flywheel to run the compression stroke.

SecretSquirrel

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:54 pm

Nope. It seized. Right now the educated guess is that the crank bearings failed and allowed the crank to come in contact with the rear of the case resulting in a very abrupt halting of all motion and rapid departure of pieces of prop in a variety of directions.

This is the rear of the crank and the arc you see right above the shaft is actually a gouge that matches the outer race of the rear bearing. An engine this size has enough inertia in the crank shaft to continue to run without a prop and in fact will rev up significantly after throwing a prop.

It's being covered under warranty and I shipped it out today.

This is what I recovered of the prop.
That tip that is sheared off was completely buried in the ground. The rest of it was all over.

Sheared four of the prop bolts completely of and bent the heck out of the others.

--SS

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:20 am

:o

SuperSpy

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:05 pm

What's the displacement on that engine? :o
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

SecretSquirrel

Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:51 pm

SuperSpy wrote:
What's the displacement on that engine? :o

110-111cc. DLE makes a 55cc and this is effectively two of the 55cc cylinders in a boxer config, but they call it 111cc.

--SS

bobboobles
Gerbil XP

Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:04 pm

Dang, I was gonna say at least you can use the bolts again, but the last pic shoots that idea down. :lol:

That sucks, but at least they're giving you a new one.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:42 pm

Stuffed my tl50 in the dirt thanks to a radio lockout yesterday. Plane came through basically unharmed, ripped the winglets off and bent a pushrod is all. Take me maybe ten minutes to fix it. The batteries are both trashed though the front one that hit first got bent to about a 45 degree angle down the length of the cells. The back one came through better but is still trashed. Standing there helplessly watching a plane go down sucks.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Flew a new toy for the first time today. Ritewing Demon 40. 6s 5000mah battery, Castle Phoenix Ice 100 amp speed controller, ritewing rocket motor running a 6X4 prop. 2412 watts and it hauls ass. On the maiden flight I got it on doppler at 160 mph. On the third flight I had passes of 172 and 180 mph :D

Untitled by Hance1976, on Flickr

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Hance wrote:
Flew a new toy for the first time today. Ritewing Demon 40. 6s 5000mah battery, Castle Phoenix Ice 100 amp speed controller, ritewing rocket motor running a 6X4 prop. 2412 watts and it hauls ass. On the maiden flight I got it on doppler at 160 mph. On the third flight I had passes of 172 and 180 mph :D

I don't have the balls to fly like that now. I'm still waiting on some Chinese parts to get my ass in the air again. I've been working so much this spring/weather not cooperating I haven't had time to fly :(

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:00 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
Hance wrote:

I don't have the balls to fly like that now. I'm still waiting on some Chinese parts to get my ass in the air again. I've been working so much this spring/weather not cooperating I haven't had time to fly :(

Flying really fast stuff isn't for everybody thats for sure. I have done a huge amount of flying this year. I fly a couple or three days a week. I am working on collective pitch helicopters again they are about more than I can handle though :x

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:07 pm

Hance wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:
Hance wrote:

Flying really fast stuff isn't for everybody thats for sure. I have done a huge amount of flying this year. I fly a couple or three days a week. I am working on collective pitch helicopters again they are about more than I can handle though :x

I had my HBFP to the point where I could run circuits, and only crashed it when it started to have slop/mechanical issues. I was getting good with it, so my crashes were more spectacular. The last was from it being a little sluggish when I needed a bit more tail and collective. I lost the main frame, the tail, the landing gear, the battery went through the canopy, and one of my $8 servos. I don't think I'm going to bring it back.

I'm all ready to start flying a few new contraptions, I just need an appropriate prop reamer and a couple other odds and ends from HK. One of the contraptions is my funjet :D

tukkus
Gerbil First Class

Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:17 pm

Here's an update on a couple of my toys....

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:26 pm

ohhh..... my.... those are some toys!

tukkus
Gerbil First Class

Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm working on finishing a Trex 700 nitro and I have (4) 450 size heli frames that I am going to put in scale fuselages. Once I get them all built I will take a pic of the ready to fly fleet.

SecretSquirrel

Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:25 pm

This months RC Helicopter magazinconversiond for a gasser conversion kit for the TRex 700 that caught my eye. I'd lover to get back into believe, but I think it would have to be a bigger bird and I can't afford that and 33% planes right now.

-SS

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:29 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
This months RC Helicopter magazinconversiond for a gasser conversion kit for the TRex 700 that caught my eye. I'd lover to get back into believe, but I think it would have to be a bigger bird and I can't afford that and 33% planes right now.

-SS

Looks like you typed that with your phone :D

I'd love to get back into flying :(
I was at work for over 12 hours today. pfft.

SecretSquirrel

Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:43 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:

-SS

Looks like you typed that with your phone :D

I'd love to get back into flying :(
I was at work for over 12 hours today. pfft.

Wow, how did you ever guess... :-? That's bad even for phone typing. I believe I was having a conversation at the same time which I am sure did not help.

I have the same problem with making time to fly. Not as bad as working 12 hours a day, but right now, from about 8AM to 11AM is the only time of day that flying is tolerable and I only have Saturday and Sunday that I'm not working. I've flown once or twice this summer. That's it. I guess I need to see what simulators can run on Linux these days.

--SS

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:09 pm

I definitely need to hit the sim before I get out again. I'm now afraid to fly one of the planes I built. It's faster than I'm comfortable with in the park so I'll need to go to the proper flying field :-/

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:47 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
I definitely need to hit the sim before I get out again. I'm now afraid to fly one of the planes I built. It's faster than I'm comfortable with in the park so I'll need to go to the proper flying field :-/

Flight sims do zilch for me personally, I just can't treat them like a sim to me they are a game.

I just started building a night flying wing today and should have it finished up in a few days. It should be in the 50 mph range which is probably plenty for a first night flyer. Once I get used to that I will put a power system in it with a little more ooooomph.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:02 am

Was out fooling around with the night flyer tonight.

PICT0098 by Hance1976, on Flickr

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:20 am

Wow, pretty!

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:22 am

Okay: I know this is about 2-3 orders of magnitude lower (both in skill, and price) than what most of the thread participants like to use, but has anyone else played with one of these? Picked one up on an impulse buy yesterday, and other than the very limited flight time per charge (the entire copter is only about 8" long and the battery is correspondingly small), it's kind of a hoot to be able to simply run and gun for a few minutes with minimal worries about breaking a prop (or worse).

Also, it drives the cat wild.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

thegleek
Darth Gerbil

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:27 am

ludi wrote:
Okay: I know this

HAHA hellz yeah.... we (had) one of those too... the cat went insane over it... ended up breaking it in the long run. poor cat probably got hurt couple o'times since those blades spin so fast and they can't help stopping it! haha

SecretSquirrel

Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:46 pm

ludi wrote:
Okay: I know this is about 2-3 orders of magnitude lower (both in skill, and price) than what most of the thread participants like to use, but has anyone else played with one of these? Picked one up on an impulse buy yesterday, and other than the very limited flight time per charge (the entire copter is only about 8" long and the battery is correspondingly small), it's kind of a hoot to be able to simply run and gun for a few minutes with minimal worries about breaking a prop (or worse).

The first hit is always free... ;)

I got started on something similar and caught the flight bug. I'm actually considering going back to heli's, though if I did, it would be in a 600-700 size electric or a 50 size or larger nitro. The stability of the larger birds is very attractive, and in the long run makes them cheaper to fly. Though I have been quite intigued by the thought of a micro electric with a flybarless head too.

--SS

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:19 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
ludi wrote:

The first hit is always free... ;)

I got started on something similar and caught the flight bug. I'm actually considering going back to heli's, though if I did, it would be in a 600-700 size electric or a 50 size or larger nitro. The stability of the larger birds is very attractive, and in the long run makes them cheaper to fly. Though I have been quite intigued by the thought of a micro electric with a flybarless head too.

--SS

I have one of the Blade MCPX helis and its unreal how well it flies. They aren't cheap but will do most of the stuff bigger CP helis will do.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:41 pm

I retired my HBFP after a bad crash. It was a cheap 4CH heli that just got sloppier and sloppier. It didn't have the command authority to respond well enough to its instability. Imagine driving a big light truck in a lot of wind, only your steering wheel has 90 degrees of play.