Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Re: Radio Control Hobbies

Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:13 am

Heiwashin wrote:
Hance wrote:
I figure building the spacewalker will actually save me money. If I buy the kit which is quite reasonably priced and work on it over the winter I wont be dreaming up other things to spend money on.

That's my favorite false delimma, i use it all the time. :lol:

My wife believed me even if you guys don't. :roll:

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:23 pm

Hey guys check this mini plane out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380270 little tiny thing. Its 3~4 ounces ready to fly and is in the 60 mph range. Best of all you can put the entire thing together for 50 bucks or so. I just priced out all the other parts at hobby king.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:29 pm

Hance wrote:
Hey guys check this mini plane out http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380270 little tiny thing. Its 3~4 ounces ready to fly and is in the 60 mph range. Best of all you can put the entire thing together for 50 bucks or so. I just priced out all the other parts at hobby king.

Wow. That's incredible. I can't fly something that small that fast. I would lose sight of it too easily.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:53 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
Hance wrote:

Wow. That's incredible. I can't fly something that small that fast. I would lose sight of it too easily.

I think I am going to build three of them. One for me and my two flying buddies for christmas. My merlin is about the same speed wise with a 31 inch wing span and its a hand full. These will probably be scary.

liquidsquid
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:32 pm

Better buy a bunch of good glue to cement the particles back together when you drive it 60MPH into an obstacle.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:50 pm

liquidsquid wrote:
Better buy a bunch of good glue to cement the particles back together when you drive it 60MPH into an obstacle.

At 16 bucks for the kit I wont even mess with major repairs of any kind I will just build another one. A crash is going to kill the airframe and more than likely the motor. The rest of the stuff should survive more or less intact. Good cheap entertainment if you ask me. I can 100% total one of these and only be out 55 or 60 bucks. When I trashed my Blizzard that was more in the 300+ cost range :x

jdrake
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:09 am

Got to play with on of these the other day - http://bit.ly/clKGrj - small - easy to fly - great for indoors - durable - stable (for a heli) and $99 bucks.

Most fun I've had with an RC aircraft in a long time:-)

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:43 pm

jdrake wrote:
Got to play with on of these the other day - http://bit.ly/clKGrj - small - easy to fly - great for indoors - durable - stable (for a heli) and $99 bucks.

Most fun I've had with an RC aircraft in a long time:-)

I have one of those also. They are super stable I take off and land it my hand all the time with it. My seven year old flies it around all the time he thinks its the greatest thing ever. Eflite also makes a blade MSR its a micro single rotor fixed pitch similar to the MCX. The MSR is almost as stable as the MCX but it can really move for its size.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:48 pm

Got a prototype I am testing right now. Nice and floaty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgEvuNKbSjE

jdrake
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:30 am

Hance wrote:
Got a prototype I am testing right now. Nice and floaty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgEvuNKbSjE

That's pretty BA.

bobboobles
Gerbil XP

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:25 pm

BA
:lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Baracus.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:36 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
Hance wrote:

Just in case. I will have number one finished up tomorrow and if the weather is decent fly it.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:38 pm

Flew the adrenaline rush its reasonably quick but not OMG fast like I was hoping for. The high elevation here is killing me. I need to find a different prop to get the speeds up to where I want them.

This is my latest project 100+ MPH on a ten dollar motor.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:11 pm

I picked up a Stevens Aero Groove 480 and have been working on it off and on for a couple of weeks. My first actual kit build so its been a learning experience. I just need to cover the top of the wing, hinge the control surfaces, and paint the cowl then I can start putting the electronics in it. Next up after this project is a ritewing demo with a 2kw power system :o

SuperSpy

Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:24 pm

Merry Christmas me.

Why thank you, you shouldn't have.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

SecretSquirrel

Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:05 pm

SuperSpy wrote:

Merry Christmas me.

Why thank you, you shouldn't have.

Be very careful. Something similar started me down the slippery slope... :D

bobboobles
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:45 pm

Are any of those little IR copters worth the 30-40 bucks? I saw a lot at different stores this holiday season and now I'm curious.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:51 pm

bobboobles wrote:
Are any of those little IR copters worth the 30-40 bucks? I saw a lot at different stores this holiday season and now I'm curious.

No absolutely not.

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:17 pm

So what's a good little indoor twin rotor coptor (like the one SuperSpy posted)? Looking for availability in Canada as well, I've got a couple of cats I need to terrify :-)

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:10 pm

notfred wrote:
So what's a good little indoor twin rotor coptor (like the one SuperSpy posted)? Looking for availability in Canada as well, I've got a couple of cats I need to terrify :-)

This is the one I have. Its so stable my boy was flying it when he was 5. http://www.bladehelis.com/Products/Defa ... d=EFLH2400

SuperSpy

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:22 am

bobboobles wrote:

I got the one I posted from ThinkGeek for $20+8 shipping. It's definitely cheap, but the actual heli seems to be pretty nicely built. Only problem I have had so far is with breaking the tiny rear propeller, but it comes with a spare.
Desktop: i7-4790K @4.8 GHz | 32 GB | EVGA Gefore 1060 | Windows 10 x64
Laptop: MacBook Pro 2017 2.9GHz | 16 GB | Radeon Pro 560

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:50 pm

Reason I asked is because my brother-in-law got one of the IR copters for Christmas and I have an envy attack. He let me have a quick go with it and I noticed that it would drift left and there was no control on that axis, just rotate and forwards / backwards. I'm thinking that if I let the green monster overtake me, I want one that only crashes due to my incompetence and not due to any innate build / control issues. I guess I've got to wait till SWMBO isn't looking before Santa gets me a late present :-)

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:40 pm

Honestly, 4 channel control is the minimum for helicopters for them to be worth flying, IMHO.

3 channel minimum for airplanes (especially fun if it is throttle/elevator/aileron, not throttle/elavator/rudder)

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:59 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
Honestly, 4 channel control is the minimum for helicopters for them to be worth flying, IMHO.

3 channel minimum for airplanes (especially fun if it is throttle/elevator/aileron, not throttle/elavator/rudder)

I agree I have tried flying a couple of cheap planes/helis that friends had. Two channel planes and three channel helis are almost always extremely cheap and fly very poorly if at all. I don't mind RET controls on stuff like sail planes but otherwise yeah give me ailerons.

I just got done rewinding a motor for a micro pylon racer that was a fun project. I wanted a much higher KV than you can buy so I just rolled my own as it were.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:23 pm

That first pic (don't know enough about the beasties to say front or back) looks remarkably like a WWI vintage rotary engine.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:47 am

Captain Ned wrote:
That first pic (don't know enough about the beasties to say front or back) looks remarkably like a WWI vintage rotary engine.

The blue part in the first photo is normally the front. It is possible to reverse the shaft and use the motor the other way though. A good portion of the brushless out runners can be used either direction actually.

SecretSquirrel

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:08 pm

Hance wrote:
I just got done rewinding a motor for a micro pylon racer that was a fun project. I wanted a much higher KV than you can buy so I just rolled my own as it were.

That's a pretty nice looking re-wind. How hard was it? I have a motor that I burned out in the hot Texas summer. I've considered re-winding it, but I'm yet to undertake the project.

--SS

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:58 pm

It really depends on what it is. You might find that you can cram more copper in there by using more, smaller strands instead of fewer, thick strands. You also might find that the manufacturer did a very good job of making it in the first place and you'll only be able to match performance.

When people burn out brushless motors and re-wind them, I worry that they over-heated their magnets too.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:04 pm

SecretSquirrel wrote:
Hance wrote:

That's a pretty nice looking re-wind. How hard was it? I have a motor that I burned out in the hot Texas summer. I've considered re-winding it, but I'm yet to undertake the project.

--SS

It depends on the wind and the termination. This one was pretty simple. Others are a bit complex and require a bit more time. I spent maybe 30 minutes on that motor between the tear down, winding new wire on, and terminating the new windings. I wanted a really high KV motor for this project so there is only 7 turns of wire per pole. Stock that motor was 1500kv and the way its wound now it should be close to 4500kv. The number of turns per pole along with how the wires are terminated determines the KV of the motor. Low KV motors generally use more turns of wire than high KV motors do. Low kv motors use more turns of smaller more fragile wire. For high KV motors just the opposite is true. Difficulty wise high KV versus low KV is about a tie in my opinion. The heavy wire on a high KV motor is harder to get to lay in nice and tight. On low KV motors the wire is easy to work with but the insulation is more fragile so you have to be more careful with it.

See if you can find a local industrial motor rewinding shop. If you can find one drop by with motor in hand and show it to the guys at the shop odds are they will give you enough wire to rewind it and at most its going to cost you a couple of bucks for wire. Radio Shack sells magnet wire STAY WAY AWAY FROM IT. The radio shack wire has crap insulation on it and its dang near impossible to wind a motor with out shorts. Dan over at http://www.gobrushless.com has everything you need also.