Re: Radio Control Hobbies

Tue May 20, 2008 9:15 pm

Scary, I'm glad he didn't get hurt.

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue May 20, 2008 10:20 pm

Hance wrote:
Well I had a small crash tonight. My little boy decided to run over and look at the heli after he has been warned over and over to say away from it when I am flying. I ended up slaming it into the ground to make sure he didnt get in the blades. So far I have found a stripped elevator servo and it bent the tail boom. I replaced the gears in the servo. A set of gears is only 3 bucks or something like that so thats much cheaper than a new servo and pretty easy to do. Next up is replacing the tail boom its a bigger job but shouldnt take to long. After thats done I have to check everything out and make sure I didnt break anything else. :roll:

If you went straight down and didn't hit any blades, you should be ok. However, be very careful next time you spool up. The feathering shaft can be bent without being visible and it puts a wicked vibration in the head (I know from experience). The tail boom isn't hard to change out, but you will need a long rod of some sort to help thread the belt down it. If you don't already have a pair of digital calipers, I suggest you go get a pair now. It greatly simplifies setting the tail up after replacing the boom. You'll strip servo gears on just about every crash. So far, it has always been the same gear too.

I'm lucky enough that my daughter is old enough not to do that. The first time I spun the blades up to half throttle, she backed away pretty quickly. The dog on the other hand... He ended up with a bloody spot on his nose when he decided that he needed to go sniff the bird right after I landed. He doesn't get close anymore. Luckily it didn't really do any more damage than a run in with a neighborhood cat would. He just walked around licking his nose for a couple hours.

On a related note, I got to put two battery packs worth of airtime on mine B400 this morning before I headed into work. There was a very light breeze and it was still cool. Nice time of the day to fly. I timed a battery pack and I get almost exactly 10 minutes at hover and very basic forward/reverse flight. I find I have no problem with transition into forward flight or out of backward flight, however the transition out of forward flight into a hover seems to give me the most problem. I think it is because I am scared of kicking the nose up hard enough to halt forward momentum without popping up 20 feet. It's something I can practice in the sim though.

I still have to work out some issues with the tail. I think I'm going to try upgrading to the DSP75 servo for the tail and see if that helps. It seems the gyro will occasionally let loose of the tail for a split second. I'm trying the server first since it is a much cheaper upgrade than the gyro.

--SS

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2008 12:47 am

I actually need to turn the gyro down a bit on my heli. I have a slight wag in the tail in a hover from time to time. It acts a lot like my CX2 did with the gyro turned up to high. I cant actually remember if the blades brushed the ground or not when I put it down I was more worried about my kid running into the helicopter and getting hurt than what was going to happen to the heli. He is almost 5 and normally listens and does anything you tell him but he just got way to excited.

So what do you use the digital calipers for ? If I need a set I will go get them but I have no idea what you are using them for.

SecretSquirrel

Wed May 21, 2008 6:49 am

Hance wrote:
I actually need to turn the gyro down a bit on my heli. I have a slight wag in the tail in a hover from time to time. It acts a lot like my CX2 did with the gyro turned up to high. I cant actually remember if the blades brushed the ground or not when I put it down I was more worried about my kid running into the helicopter and getting hurt than what was going to happen to the heli. He is almost 5 and normally listens and does anything you tell him but he just got way to excited.

So what do you use the digital calipers for ? If I need a set I will go get them but I have no idea what you are using them for.

Calipers are great for recentering the tail. The tail slider needs to be exactly half way on the tail shaft. Measure the shaft length from bearin g to hub, subtract the slider width and divide by two. Takes about a minute to reset the tail once you get used to using the calipers. It can also make resetting the main head easier two. Once you have the heli set up good, take measurements for the distance between the swash and the retaining collar at minimum and maximum pitch, measure the length of the connecting arms from the swash to the mixing arms. If you ever have to rebuild the head, set it up with the same measurements and your main blade pitch and tracking will be the same.

No flying for me today. We have a steady 10-15mph breeze with much high gusts this morning.

--SS

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed May 21, 2008 6:18 pm

well I tore into the heli a bit farther and the main shaft is trashed looks like thats the only other part that got broke at this point. Now I just have to start putting it all back together

SecretSquirrel

Wed May 21, 2008 7:53 pm

Hance wrote:
well I tore into the heli a bit farther and the main shaft is trashed looks like thats the only other part that got broke at this point. Now I just have to start putting it all back together

If you have to replace the main shaft, replace the feathering shaft at the same time, even if it doesn't look bad. The two of them might as well be sold as a set. I was in the same spot in my last crash. I replaced the main shaft and tail and the feathering shaft looked fine until I spun up. It had a very slight bow in it, but it did all sorts of weird things and shook like crazy when spinning.

You get real good after a while. I can replace the main and feathering shafts in about 10 minutes at this point. You don't even have to take the head apart. The tail takes a bit longer because of the belt.

--SS

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Thu May 22, 2008 7:02 pm

You was right SecretSquirrel the feathering shaft was trashed so I replaced it to. Got everything back together again now I just need it to stop raining. First it was windy and I couldnt fly and now its raining. What next snow :roll:

I can replace the feathering shaft in 30 seconds flat. Take one of the bolts out of the old shaft and put it in the new shaft then use the new shaft to push the old one out you just have to make sure the bearings dont follow the old shaft as you push it out. Done that way the feathering shaft is easy.

SecretSquirrel

Thu May 22, 2008 8:48 pm

Hance wrote:
I can replace the feathering shaft in 30 seconds flat. Take one of the bolts out of the old shaft and put it in the new shaft then use the new shaft to push the old one out you just have to make sure the bearings dont follow the old shaft as you push it out. Done that way the feathering shaft is easy.

I'll have to remember that. Dealing with all the paper thin shims is a royal pain. Of course the first two times I had to replace it, mine was so bent I couldn't just easily push it out.

On an unrelated note, it was quite interesting to see the context sensitive ad at the top of the page for a Blade CP at xheli.com. :)

--SS

SecretSquirrel

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:58 pm

For those in the DFW or central Texas area who are interested, there is a big heli event in Grand Prairie, TX this weekend: Event Flyer. Saturday is the big day and I'll be there dawn till dark. I'm taking my DSLR and a big fast lens to go with it so I'll post photos when I can.

--SS

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:06 am

I'm considering this as my first radio controlled hobby vehicle.
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:25 pm

Well I was at the local hobby shop today and picked up another toy.

Specifications
Wing Span: 14.75 in (375mm)
Overall Length: 15.25 in (387mm)
Flying Weight: 0.53 oz (15g)
Recommended Battery: 3.7V 70mAh Li-Po battery (included)
Recommended Environment: Indoor
Throttle, rudder and elevator provide true 3-channel flight and maneuverability
Fully proportional, super lightweight servo motors with feedback potentiometers for precise control

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:08 pm

Ok, I gotta ask: what does something like that cost?
Darn it, I only have a 2-Ch radio from my glider days, so I'd have to factor that in too.
But I am tempted.

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Very cool Hance.

I'm still having fun with the Blade CX2 you recommended. I've been reading on some RC planes, but I don't think that's gonna happen until next year at the earliest.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:29 pm

Yay! I want one!

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:33 pm

UberGerbil wrote:

No more than $179.99, but probably much less than that.
For those that fought for it, freedom has a taste that the protected will never know.
-Unknown Veteran

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:57 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Darn it, I only have a 2-Ch radio from my glider days, so I'd have to factor that in too.
But I am tempted.

Its going to cost you 129 bucks or less if you do some looking online. The MSRP never comes into play with the parkzone stuff the available for price is the most you would ever pay. If you buy online you might get nicked for shipping so just going to the local hobby shop is your best bet honestly. The living room in my house is about 16X28 and i can fly in it with very little trouble. The first flight or two took some getting used to but its great now.

SecretSquirrel

Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:26 pm

Hance wrote:
UberGerbil wrote:
But I am tempted.

Its going to cost you 129 bucks or less if you do some looking online. The MSRP never comes into play with the parkzone stuff the available for price is the most you would ever pay. If you buy online you might get nicked for shipping so just going to the local hobby shop is your best bet honestly. The living room in my house is about 16X28 and i can fly in it with very little trouble. The first flight or two took some getting used to but its great now.

Very cool. My LHS had a couple of those sitting on display when I was in there today. Didn't look at the price. I'm feeding the heli habit right now and don't want to stretch the wife too far. :) I had a run in with my Blade 400 yesterday, figuratively and literally. I was at the end of a battery and coming in to land. I was about 15-20 feet out and about 15 feet up. Still not quite sure what happened, it was breezy but nothing bad and I was nose into the wind (and nose away from me). Next thing I know, I'm looking at the top of the blades and nose straight down. I reacted properly and pulled back on the elevator. Unfortunately, it pulled out of the dive coming straight at me. Blades hit my leg about halfway down my left thigh and just about the knee, in idle up. I have a couple of really nice marks (no broken skin) and most of my thigh is a light bruise. It doesn't hurt as much as one would think, but I'm still limping a bit.

The heli actually didn't do as bad as it could have. Broke one blade off at the root and crack the other in a couple of places. Cracked the front landing skid mount and bent the normal shafts and what not. I think I killed to servo gear sets and broke the hub of the main gear. For the most part, the head is completely intact, which is really not bad for an idle up crash.

I've been keeping my eye on the planes. I completely obliterated the HBKII in a crash, to the point of having to replace pretty much everything non electronic if I want to repair it. Thinking about pulling the receiver and servos and putting them in a little park-flier type trainer. I've got some soccer fields down the road the would provide for quite relaxing flying.

--SS
Last edited by SecretSquirrel on Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

pomplemus
Gerbil

Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:14 am

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:40 am

cool rig pomplemus but it doesnt go up in the air for an extended time so it just aint as good :lol:

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:26 pm

The air was totally calm this morning so I took the vapor out and buzzed around outside. With more room to fly around its a lot of fun. I moved the CG forward ( you can move the wing and battery fore and aft seperately to change the CG) to get the plane to fly a little faster and more level. Set up like that the litte plane can move pretty quickly for its size. Loops are easy, hammerhead turns are easy and so are most other things your average 3 channel plane does. Inverted flight can be done but with out adding some throw to the elevator (just a simple linkage move) you have come down out of inverted flight you cant do part of an outside loop to do it.

The flight time is out of this world for such a tiny plane. I ran over ten minutes on a charge. My radio has a count up timer on it so the flight time isnt a guess its actual time. Usually micro flight stuff is way under powered and will barely drag itself through the air with the vapor that isnt the case. The vapor will cruise around at 1/4 throttle no problem. Durability is also very good. I have hit walls, floors, a tree branch that ran out in front of me and nosed it into the concrete and did no damage at all. The plane is just so light that it doesnt really have enough inertia to hurt itself when you hit something.

UberGerbil
Grand Admiral Gerbil

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:07 pm

Hance wrote:
cool rig pomplemus but it doesnt go up in the air for an extended time so it just aint as good :lol:
You're just not using enough explosives. ;)
Hance wrote:
Inverted flight can be done but with out adding some throw to the elevator (just a simple linkage move) you have come down out of inverted flight you cant do part of an outside loop to do it.
Could you do a snap roll (give it as much forward stick as you can -- like you're trying to do an outside loop -- and then give it full rudder)? With lots of altitude for recovery, obviously, since that's also a recipe for an inverted flat spin, though I doubt that's the kind of worry it might be in a full-size aircraft especially with a forward c/g.

This really sounds like a fun toy. I just need to figure out if there's a gym or something near me that I can use. My living space is better suited to ultra-small helis.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:20 pm

UberGerbil wrote:
Hance wrote:
You're just not using enough explosives. ;)
Hance wrote:
Inverted flight can be done but with out adding some throw to the elevator (just a simple linkage move) you have come down out of inverted flight you cant do part of an outside loop to do it.
Could you do a snap roll (give it as much forward stick as you can -- like you're trying to do an outside loop -- and then give it full rudder)? With lots of altitude for recovery, obviously, since that's also a recipe for an inverted flat spin, though I doubt that's the kind of worry it might be in a full-size aircraft especially with a forward c/g.

This really sounds like a fun toy. I just need to figure out if there's a gym or something near me that I can use. My living space is better suited to ultra-small helis.

I doubt it will do a snap roll to much dihedral in the wing. I will give it a try next time i go out and see what happens though. The wind just started to pick up so i dont know if i will get any flying time in tonight or not. The plane can be flown outside but it needs to be completely calm. If the leaves on the trees are even moving it makes flying it interesting.

SecretSquirrel

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:31 pm

Well, if the way my wife rolled her eyes when she walked into the dining room this evening is any measure, I've been bitten by the bug. I decided it was time to add a fixed wing craft to the collection.

Its a Sapac Extra 330L

It has a 38" wingspan and should be about 700g flying weight once I finish installing everything. By no means is it a super high quality plane, but for $40 for the airframe, you can only expect so much. When all is said an done, it should have unlimited vertical and a top speed in the 30-35mph range.

On the heli front, I picked up some 2200mAh 25C battery packs and I must say, it completely changes the demeanor of the Blade 400. I immediately came to the conclusion the C rating of the stock E-Flite batteries is a bit low. With the 25C packs, the headspeed is higher and more responsive in normal mode. I haven't tested in idle-up yet as I was doing a checkout flight after a rebuild. On a 2200mAh pack that had been sitting for five days, I got about 12m 45s of hover time and the battery pack was luke warm at the end. Way better than the very hot E-Flite packs.

I'm taking and putting the E-Flite 1800mAh 20C packs in the plane. I should get 15-20 minutes of hard flying with them.

--SS

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:59 pm

The control surfaces on that thing remind me of my Typhoon 2 3D. Loops and rolls with it will be interesting to say the least. My typhoon will do a loop in a little more than its own length. Go EASY on the sticks the first time you fly it :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:28 pm

Hance wrote:
The control surfaces on that thing remind me of my Typhoon 2 3D. Loops and rolls with it will be interesting to say the least. My typhoon will do a loop in a little more than its own length. Go EASY on the sticks the first time you fly it :wink:

Full-span ailerons like those will have that baby dancing into the ground in no time. Those elevators need help.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:14 am

No kidding. Those are nearly as large as the wings!

SecretSquirrel

Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:54 am

I expect it will be quite capable of some pretty wild aerobatics if I push it, but the initial setup is designed to be pretty tame. The throws are set at about half their max and the rates, especially the aileron rates are turned way down on the radio. I'm hoping first flight will be this weekend sometime. I need to go pick up a prop and some servo extensions.

--SS

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:31 pm

So did you fly it yet ? I got in some more flight time with my Vapor tonight. 20 minutes flight time on that tiny chicklet sized battery is awesome.

SecretSquirrel

Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:47 am

Hance wrote:
So did you fly it yet ? I got in some more flight time with my Vapor tonight. 20 minutes flight time on that tiny chicklet sized battery is awesome.

Haven't had the chance to fly yet. Actually, I just finished it yesterday. I reinforced the firewall and motor mount with plywood and the front wing mount with epoxy. These were definitely weak points. I also had to enlarge the battery compartment to accept the longer batteries I'm using. But, it's ready to go.

Now I just have to find a place to fly it. :)

Hoser
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:56 am

What would be a good replacement battery for my Blade CX2? 6 minutes of flight time sucks. I'd like something (if possible) that can be used in a Blade 400 3D too. All the hobby shops around here only carry e-flite replacement batteries, and can't tell me what to get that would increase my flying time.
-Unknown Veteran