Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Re: Radio Control Hobbies

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:16 pm

Hance wrote:
SecretSquirrel wrote:
Hance wrote:
I just got done rewinding a motor for a micro pylon racer that was a fun project. I wanted a much higher KV than you can buy so I just rolled my own as it were.

That's a pretty nice looking re-wind. How hard was it? I have a motor that I burned out in the hot Texas summer. I've considered re-winding it, but I'm yet to undertake the project.

--SS

It depends on the wind and the termination. This one was pretty simple. Others are a bit complex and require a bit more time. I spent maybe 30 minutes on that motor between the tear down, winding new wire on, and terminating the new windings. I wanted a really high KV motor for this project so there is only 7 turns of wire per pole. Stock that motor was 1500kv and the way its wound now it should be close to 4500kv. The number of turns per pole along with how the wires are terminated determines the KV of the motor. Low KV motors generally use more turns of wire than high KV motors do. Low kv motors use more turns of smaller more fragile wire. For high KV motors just the opposite is true. Difficulty wise high KV versus low KV is about a tie in my opinion. The heavy wire on a high KV motor is harder to get to lay in nice and tight. On low KV motors the wire is easy to work with but the insulation is more fragile so you have to be more careful with it.

See if you can find a local industrial motor rewinding shop. If you can find one drop by with motor in hand and show it to the guys at the shop odds are they will give you enough wire to rewind it and at most its going to cost you a couple of bucks for wire. Radio Shack sells magnet wire STAY WAY AWAY FROM IT. The radio shack wire has crap insulation on it and its dang near impossible to wind a motor with out shorts. Dan over at http://www.gobrushless.com has everything you need also.

For very high KV motors, you can use multiple strands per turn to avoid the problems of bending it. It can be hard to keep them all straight, but it definitely helps.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:38 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
For very high KV motors, you can use multiple strands per turn to avoid the problems of bending it. It can be hard to keep them all straight, but it definitely helps.

Yes it can be done but it is usually done to make the motor easier to wind not to make a higher quality product. The entire point of winding your own motor is to have something you normally wouldn't be able to buy or to have higher quality than you can get from most manufactures. Multi strand winding is almost always the realm of cheap low quality motors. You do have a point on the magnets in the motor that SS has. The first motor I rewound the performance sucked on. I had a spare motor sitting here so I swapped cans and there was a huge performance difference.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:51 pm

Hance wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:

Yes it can be done but it is usually done to make the motor easier to wind not to make a higher quality product. The entire point of winding your own motor is to have something you normally wouldn't be able to buy or to have higher quality than you can get from most manufactures. Multi strand winding is almost always the realm of cheap low quality motors. You do have a point on the magnets in the motor that SS has. The first motor I rewound the performance sucked on. I had a spare motor sitting here so I swapped cans and there was a huge performance difference.

Multi-wind motors, if done right, can pack more copper into the same space. This can give higher performance. It takes careful optimization and execution to make it work, but it can mean 10% lower current draw. I would likely only bother on a very high KV motor where there is a lot of gapping due to the thick wiring, or if I can't make clean turns because of how unwieldy the wiring is.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:05 pm

So spot how many motors have you actually rewound ?

I just finished up the project I rewound the blue wonder for. Its putting out 150 watts and weighs 5 1/4 ounces ready to fly. I did a quick maiden on it and it isn't slow like the first one I built. It is doing 70+ mph easy and with only a 23 inch wing span thats plenty fast.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:15 pm

Hance wrote:
So spot how many motors have you actually rewound ?

two, a 28mm outrunner and a hand in a large non-RC one in college.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:13 am

Best indoor heli (that will actually teach you something useful) = Blade msR.

Seriously. It is EPIC when it is raining and you live in a tiny apartment and can't fly your 450 CP.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:03 am

yogibbear wrote:
Best indoor heli (that will actually teach you something useful) = Blade msR.

Seriously. It is EPIC when it is raining and you live in a tiny apartment and can't fly your 450 CP.

I have one of those to. It's amazing how fast it will move for it's tiny size.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:23 pm

I'm thinking about one myself.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:07 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:

You would probably like it. They fly great inside and can be flown outside as long as its fairly calm. So stable you can sit the transmitter down and it will just hang in the air where you left it until the battery dies.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:40 am

Hance wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:

You would probably like it. They fly great inside and can be flown outside as long as its fairly calm. So stable you can sit the transmitter down and it will just hang in the air where you left it until the battery dies.

Wow! Does that mean it pretty much can't be flown outside, much like the small coaxials?

My HBFP is great, I can fly around in a pattern outside on a nice day, but it is unwieldy and touchy to set up now. I think the head parts are getting worn out and sloppy, and I know I don't want to rebuild the head on it. It's got nice micro electronics though, I'll probably toss them in a small foamy.

yogibbear
Gerbil Elite

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:41 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
Hance wrote:
SpotTheCat wrote:

Wow! Does that mean it pretty much can't be flown outside, much like the small coaxials?

My HBFP is great, I can fly around in a pattern outside on a nice day, but it is unwieldy and touchy to set up now. I think the head parts are getting worn out and sloppy, and I know I don't want to rebuild the head on it. It's got nice micro electronics though, I'll probably toss them in a small foamy.

Yep. Unless you mod the heck out of it (read: spend as much as the cost of setting up a 450 CP clone again after the intial purchase on it) then yes they're basically indoor/imperceptible breeze ONLY. This means if you have a sim and get good weather all the time/often enough then it is almost uneccesary. What i think it really replaces is the coaxs, as it's A LOT more fun than a coax. But as it's a 45 deg flybar, rather than a 90 deg flybar like the HBFP, it is self stabilising = you DO NOT learn how to "fly" a proper RC heli. So you still only get the orientation benefits of a coax but you can fly FAST! figure 8's/lazy 8's/funnels inside your house = LEARN better orientation.

Plus it's pretty much unbreakable as far as my skills are concerned. Have gone about 20-30 km/h into a brick wall with the thing for zero damage.

P.S. there is ZERO reason to mod a Blade msR, and the best thing for me about it is i get some stick time after work if i work late cause it's dark and it was BNF to my dx6i.
Core i7 4770K | eVGA GTX1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | 16GB DDR3 2133mhz | Asus Z87-PLUS | Corsair HX650 | Fractal Define R4 | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | Windows 10 x64

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:24 am

yogibbear wrote:
P.S. there is ZERO reason to mod a Blade msR, and the best thing for me about it is i get some stick time after work if i work late cause it's dark and it was BNF to my dx6i.

I was looking at it and I agree. I modded my HBFP because I was burning through motors left and right, but this one seems better. Also, it will work with my DX6i, so no problems there.

bobboobles
Gerbil XP

Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:51 pm

I got my Blade mSR from the UPS man tonight when I got home from work! Got the RTF kit since I don't have a radio... and 2 extra 150 mAH batteries. I'm not sure if it was trimmed right since I messed with the buttons after reading about what did what in the manual. Completely forgot about it supposedly being set up from the factory. :oops: Anyways, after going throu the first 2 tiny batteries that came included, I got it set up pretty good. The tail rotor doesn't sync up perfectly so it spins very slowly in either direction, but everything else is pretty steady.

My house is a lot more cluttered than I thought so I'm forced to practice in a 8' cube in my bedroom. It can get a bit hairy at times lol. We've got a winter storm blowing in so I'm not gonna try flying out in 30 mph winds!

I noticed that the main rotor shaft is at a slight angle to the passenger side. What's the reason for this?

I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this little chopper. Can't wait for a calm day! What sort of range does it have? I guess realistically it's not too far since you'll lose sight pretty quick, but I'm curious.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:15 pm

bobboobles wrote:
I got my Blade mSR from the UPS man tonight when I got home from work! Got the RTF kit since I don't have a radio... and 2 extra 150 mAH batteries. I'm not sure if it was trimmed right since I messed with the buttons after reading about what did what in the manual. Completely forgot about it supposedly being set up from the factory. :oops: Anyways, after going throu the first 2 tiny batteries that came included, I got it set up pretty good. The tail rotor doesn't sync up perfectly so it spins very slowly in either direction, but everything else is pretty steady.

My house is a lot more cluttered than I thought so I'm forced to practice in a 8' cube in my bedroom. It can get a bit hairy at times lol. We've got a winter storm blowing in so I'm not gonna try flying out in 30 mph winds!

I noticed that the main rotor shaft is at a slight angle to the passenger side. What's the reason for this?

I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this little chopper. Can't wait for a calm day! What sort of range does it have? I guess realistically it's not too far since you'll lose sight pretty quick, but I'm curious.

The designers are force-balancing the aircraft for flight rather than balancing it when it's not flying.

If the main rotor were to go through the center of gravity perfectly, the craft would drift to the left because of the force from the tail-rotor.

Instead of adjusting for it with trim, the designers put that tilt in to compensate. This makes the craft handle more evenly. Example: My HBFP can strafe left much faster than right unless I balance it off-center.

Also, having the rotor tilted makes the rest of the craft level. Another example, because I balance my HBFP slightly passenger side, to use your frame of reference, the tail rotor points slightly upward in it's stock settings.

TLDR: They did that to make it fly better, and look better while flying.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:00 am

Hooked the Eagle Tree data logger up to the Adrenaline Rush tonight because I wanted to see what the motor was really doing. The interesting part motor RPM 27,135. That is with a 4.75 inch pitch prop and gives a pitch speed of 122 mph :o Even taking into account loss at the prop, drag etc. it might be faster than the 70 I had guessed it at before.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:26 pm

I played with some Depron last night. Did a little baking and forming. It's neat stuff, I might incorporate it in a high-tech/low-tech marriage I've had on my mind since the fall.

My test project is a 1/2 scale (1/4 weight) fun jet clone.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:54 pm

I have never had anything to do with depron the only foam I have ever used is EPP. Both have their advantages and disadvantages for what I use foam for I am better off with epp.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:17 am

Hance wrote:
I have never had anything to do with depron the only foam I have ever used is EPP. Both have their advantages and disadvantages for what I use foam for I am better off with epp.

There are hundreds of different formulations of foam, and dozens that are affordable. I could probably find a use for all of them in RC aircraft.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:36 pm

I just finished my hot-wire saw. It's sweet. I have just under 18" of height to work with. It runs on the 12V portion of my DIY power supply at I-have-no-idea how much power. Enough to make the center of the wire glow red after a few seconds.

I'm going to make some more tooling for it next time I go to home depot. Last time I went the guy before me bought everything in the cull lumber section, so I don't have any scraps.

I need a raised platform and a fence. The ends are heat-sinked to their mounts, so they're not as hot. I suppose I could try narrower wire than the 24ga that's on there now.

I might chop it down really low, maybe 3" cutting height. That would specialize it to cutting flat foam, but perhaps do it better. It's nice now though, I can cut anything I would want and even do nice tall wing sections. It's also easy to verify perpendicularity with the table when you have so much length to work with.

thecoldanddarkone
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:52 pm

So I'm looking into remote control cars/buggies/trucks. I really can't afford a heli, (well I could, but it wouldn't last very long). Nitro is probably where I'm headed. Does anyone have any good web sites or suggestions. I've got about 250 for one.
I7 4930k, 32 GB Ballistix DDRL3@2133 , 1.2 TB Intel 750 AIC, 500 GB mx200, Sapphire R9 Fury, asus x79 ws, HP ZR24w, edifier s730
HP Pro x2 612- i5-4302Y, 8 gigs of memory, 256 ssd

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:42 pm

thecoldanddarkone wrote:
So I'm looking into remote control cars/buggies/trucks. I really can't afford a heli, (well I could, but it wouldn't last very long). Nitro is probably where I'm headed. Does anyone have any good web sites or suggestions. I've got about 250 for one.

http://www.rcgroups.com is probably your best bet for most things related to RC. I know they have a car/truck section but I have never looked at it just not my thing.

This is a prototype I have been flying for about the last six months.
Uses 2 5 gram servos, 4500 kv inrunner, 3x3 prop, 2s 360 mah battery. Its not for the faint of heart or beginners by any means. The roll rate is somewhere north of 5 complete revolutions per second when you give it full aileron. Once tram and I get all the details worked out it will go into production. It flies pretty well now its just to much to handle for most people.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:28 pm

Hance wrote:
thecoldanddarkone wrote:

http://www.rcgroups.com is probably your best bet for most things related to RC. I know they have a car/truck section but I have never looked at it just not my thing.

airplane
Uses 2 5 gram servos, 4500 kv inrunner, 3x3 prop, 2s 360 mah battery. Its not for the faint of heart or beginners by any means. The roll rate is somewhere north of 5 complete revolutions per second when you give it full aileron. Once tram and I get all the details worked out it will go into production. It flies pretty well now its just to much to handle for most people.

That's nice looking EPP work. Is that two hotwire cut wings with a fuselage portion tacked on?

You can really cut the noise and increase thrust by fiddling with the clearance around the prop, if you're interested. That thing looks like it's pretty loud in it's current form.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:00 pm

SpotTheCat wrote:
Hance wrote:
thecoldanddarkone wrote:

airplane

That's nice looking EPP work. Is that two hotwire cut wings with a fuselage portion tacked on?

You can really cut the noise and increase thrust by fiddling with the clearance around the prop, if you're interested. That thing looks like it's pretty loud in it's current form.

Yes it is two hotwire cut wings with the fuse tacked on exactly like you thought. Simple to build and very durable. The noise level isn't that bad on this one. Its fairly high pitched but not all that loud. If I were flying it indoors I would think about it though. I have some pushers that will almost make your ears bleed so I know where you are coming from.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:17 pm

Hance wrote:
Yes it is two hotwire cut wings with the fuse tacked on exactly like you thought. Simple to build and very durable. The noise level isn't that bad on this one. Its fairly high pitched but not all that loud. If I were flying it indoors I would think about it though. I have some pushers that will almost make your ears bleed so I know where you are coming from.

I like that design. I made some neat CNC code that corrects for the different kerf sizes on a hotwire cutter between the root and tip cross sections (the slower moving tip melts a wider path than the root). If those are CNC cut (which they should be for production) do you want some info on that?

edit: Deans ultra on a mini! What kind of power are we talking here?

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:35 am

I know they are cnc hot-wire cut but that is all I know about them. Jeff is the owner of www.superflyrc.com he would be the person to talk to about your special code that stuff is way over my head.

As far as the deans goes it's for simplicity of charging and nothing more, I don't want to have to change leads on my chargers all the time. The motor is rated for 6 amps and I am running right close to that.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:20 am

Hance wrote:
As far as the deans goes it's for simplicity of charging and nothing more, I don't want to have to change leads on my chargers all the time. The motor is rated for 6 amps and I am running right close to that.

Ahh, I see. I run deans on mine too, but I made an ultra to mini string converter so I don't actually have to change leads.

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:33 am

Finally did the maiden on my TL50 this weekend. It flies awesome goes exactly where you point it no bad habits at all. I was doing 100 mph passes 5 feet up on the maiden flight :o

DSCN2005 by Hance1976, on Flickr

DSCN2004 by Hance1976, on Flickr

Hance
Darth Gerbil
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2011 10:38 pm

Finished up another flying wing tonight. Ritewing Lightning 36. Didn't go crazy on the power system should be 120ish. Be a good all around cruiser.
Ritewing Lightning 36 by Hance1976, on Flickr

Bottom
Ritewing Lightning 36 by Hance1976, on Flickr

SecretSquirrel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon May 30, 2011 10:17 pm

So, in between yard and house projects this weekend, I started working on an engine test stand. When I got the 26GX for my Edge 540, I found that I didn't really have a way to run other than on the plane. That was sufficient at the time, but it go me thinking about getting/building an engine test stand. The project I am currently working on finally convinced me to do it.

The front mounting plate is removable so if I need to mount something different, I put a new front on and drill mounting holes. 2'x4' of 1/2" plywood, two 8' 2"x2", and a number of bolts. Less than $20 when all was said and done, oh and about three half days of cutting, drilling, and bolting it together. The last picture shows the plate where the fuel tanks will go, along with the throttle servo, battery packs, etc. There is enough room to mount both gas and glow tanks at the same time so I don't have to worry about re-plumbing.

If anyone has sharp eyes, the last picture hints at why I built the thing. The front plate on it is drilled for a DLE-111.

Those are pictures from the test fitting. It is a big engine and I thought it was scary to hand flip the little 26GX. This one is a monster. I spent the latter part of this afternoon mounting all the supporting parts on the equipment plate, but I ran out of time in the day and didn't get quite finished. I need to connect the throttle line at the servo and carb and mount all the electronics before I can start it up.

I have a pair of canister mufflers showing up tomorrow. I think I can fit them in the 33% Laser 200 the engine is planned for, but it may take some creativity.

BTW, if anyone is in the DFW area the weekend of June 11th, my club is hosting a major warbird event: Warbirds Over Texas. It should be an impressive event.
--SS

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue May 31, 2011 2:01 pm

Wow! That is one big mofo of an engine.