dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:49 am

notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:28 am

Helpful, thanks. Obviously I googled it too. Was looking more for someone with experience as to which is a good, non dodgy, has experience with it one. I just wanted some help as to which of the hundreds available to download I should download.

But nevermind, other gerbils have already helped.
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport
annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:54 pm

annabel! lol your location here is still set to edinburgh! update it to new zealand girl! how's pointy doing? whens the wedding date?
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:07 pm

Hey gleeky! Updated to wellington :D

He's just lovely, and he says you can be best man ;) no date set or anything like that! Silly.
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport
annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:47 pm

So love buying appliances. Washer about to die, need new one. Brought in print of one wanted (Lowe's). Didn't have on floor but had big brother. Quick inspection came out OK. Sealed deal with sales dude; asked if wanted 5-year "protection plan". Said no, rung up. In Lowe's eco-system anything you buy in specialty areas gets rung up at front register, just give them phone number (landline, in book, who cares). Take good look at checkout screen (green-on-black old IBM terminal has its places), notice order doesn't have 5-year plan but has 3-year plan. Tell cashier didn't want any plan. Cashier takes a while and dude who sold washer is on way out for day and says "Oh, right, you didn't want that", tells cashier how to make it go away. Pretty sure dude unhappy with me. Screw him.

Just re-read (for the umpteenth time) David Palmer's "Emergence" and this is my attempt at the language.

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/boo ... 501-5.html
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:28 am

Navies with carriers often find themselves transiting large patches of ocean and the crew is bored. In such times there is a great tradition of the deck "spell-out", namely forcing everyone into their dress whites and doing college football halftime-style formations designed to be seen from above. While I'm not sure this is every single spell-out picture, it's clearly the vast majority.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/ ... ilors.aspx
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:15 pm

Frankly, I'm just surprised that Canada has aircraft carriers.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:14 pm

Vrock wrote:Frankly, I'm just surprised that Canada has aircraft carriers.

They did once, only when the UK was done with them. No more.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:29 pm

Captain Ned wrote:Navies with carriers often find themselves transiting large patches of ocean and the crew is bored. In such times there is a great tradition of the deck "spell-out", namely forcing everyone into their dress whites and doing college football halftime-style formations designed to be seen from above. While I'm not sure this is every single spell-out picture, it's clearly the vast majority.

http://www.vintagewings.ca/VintageNews/ ... ilors.aspx

How does a former Navy man list that on his resume?

Retired CPO's resume wrote:One of four individuals out of 5000 chosen to form the dot on the I in AMERICA.
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:03 pm

Much time ago I had intimated about an embezzlement case I was working at a very small VT credit union. It's done and here's the press release from the US Attorney's Office:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/vt/news/201 ... inney.html

Here's local paper, but their metered paywall can be a bit twitchy:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/stor ... t/7739387/

The affidavit I spent a whole day working on with the FBI the day before we closed the place. Don't worry, it's a public document in a US criminal case, so I'm in no incipient trouble for posting same, but it tells so much more than the papers.

http://home.comcast.net/~captainned/BLAffidavit.pdf
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:04 am

You'd be surprised how common crap like that is. A few years back, the former treasurer of the BJCP (the non-profit that certifies beer judges, of which I am a member) pleaded guilty to mail fraud for embezzling from the organization: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Plea_Agreement.PDF
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:41 am

just brew it! wrote:You'd be surprised how common crap like that is. A few years back, the former treasurer of the BJCP (the non-profit that certifies beer judges, of which I am a member) pleaded guilty to mail fraud for embezzling from the organization: http://www.bjcp.org/docs/Plea_Agreement.PDF

Unfortunately it's all too common these days. Defense counsel explicitly argued for a shorter sentence (12-18 mos compared to gov't request of 51 mos) based on the current rash of middle-aged women 1st-time felons pleading guilty to embezzlement as somehow constituting a different class that should be treated differently in the sentencing guidelines. 'Twas an odd argument and one to which the judge gave little credence.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:55 am

Captain Ned wrote:Unfortunately it's all too common these days. Defense counsel explicitly argued for a shorter sentence (12-18 mos compared to gov't request of 51 mos) based on the current rash of middle-aged women 1st-time felons pleading guilty to embezzlement as somehow constituting a different class that should be treated differently in the sentencing guidelines. 'Twas an odd argument and one to which the judge gave little credence.

Can we call this the "all the other soccer moms are doing it" defense? :lol:

OTOH, I suppose if we are giving shorter sentences to violent felons because the prisons are overcrowded with felons convicted of white-collar crimes, there may be some justification.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:24 am

just brew it! wrote:OTOH, I suppose if we are giving shorter sentences to violent felons because the prisons are overcrowded with felons convicted of white-collar crimes, there may be some justification.

She was specifically sentenced by the judge to the Danbury, CT Camp Fed (the satellite facility in the linked Wiki).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_C ... n,_Danbury
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:34 pm

Calling all organic chemists!!

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/201 ... eeded.html

What is purported is powdered alcohol (and no, this is not The Onion).

http://www.bevlaw.com/bevlog/alcohol-be ... ed-alcohol

Is it possible to dehydrate CH3CH2OH and rehydrate it with all of its usual properties intact? If so, I am un-Krogothed.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:52 pm

They're starting with pure ethanol and absorbing it with a water-soluble powder. Since mixed drinks are typically less than 1/3 ethanol, there's room for the other stuff in the final solution once you've added water.
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:11 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:They're starting with pure ethanol and absorbing it with a water-soluble powder. Since mixed drinks are typically less than 1/3 ethanol, there's room for the other stuff in the final solution once you've added water.

Ah, so the "powder" is actually a "hyrdated" powder with ethanol in solid solution. Had a hard time thinking that one could directly reduce ethanol to a powder.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:21 am

I hate Yahoo. I use their e-mail service for disposable addresses but the crap they pull to try to get you to "upgrade" to their latest version is just getting silly. Case in point: Until last week, Yahoo Mail would always launch with the messages sorted the way I liked them (oldest on top, newest on bottom). It now launches in the inverse order. While I can change the order to my preference in any given session, the setting WILL NOT stick. My guess is that if I "upgraded" they'd let me have my way.

There are times when I think we did wrong from moving away from Pine.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:03 am

Yahoo has been breaking random functionality across their sites for about a year now. The local homebrew club (whose list server has been hosted on YahooGroups for around a decade) has finally had enough; we're looking at alternatives. Currently in the running: A) Google Groups; B) a list server hosted by the same service (HostMonster) that hosts the club web site; C) self-hosting something on an existing private server or VPS. Currently leaning towards B as the best compromise between control and ease-of-use/maintenance, though we may be close to the limit for HostMonster's number of subscribers on their "free with your web hosting plan" list server feature (they apparently discourage its use for lists with more than 100 members, though our traffic is low enough that I don't really see it being a problem).
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:58 pm

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.com/ ... ns-decades?

I dare you to read this and not complain about allergies or floating dust.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:28 pm

That was beautiful.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:48 am

What's the buzz on Zymatic?
http://picobrew.com/
i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:02 pm

Bloody 'ell. New washer delivered at 9AM today from Lowe's. By 1:30PM it had already **** the bed.

On the good side, I got Kubuntu 14.04 LTS installed on the old Lenovo and got Brother network printer drivers to work (been struggling with those for over a year on the daughter's laptop). The washer must be my karmic reward for making progress with Linux.

EDIT: Massive design flaw. Loads run with hot water cause condensation on the underside of the lid, including the area where the lid sensor & latch live. A few minutes with a blow dryer restored the unit to operation. Still, can't & won't put up with that after every load.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:29 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:What's the buzz on Zymatic?
http://picobrew.com/

Rather expensive system for how much beer it appears to be capable of making (based on the size of the tiny keg pictured in the CNet article). And if you want to have more than one kind of beer on tap you'll still need to spring for extra kegs, which won't come cheap.

They're clearly targeting a specific niche - people who want to dabble in homebrewing, but are severely space-constrained and/or want a machine to do all of the thinking/work for them, and have more disposable income than they know what to do with. I have no idea how large that niche is... :lol:

Edit: Hmm... web page says it can deal with up to 9 lbs of grain. That's actually enough to do a full-size (5 gallon) batch of moderate-strength beer, so maybe it can actually do a larger batch than the keg in the CNet picture. Picture on the pre-order page also shows a larger keg.

Edit 2: So if it works as advertised, I'd say it is an interesting (but still rather expensive, even if it can do a full-size batch) piece of gear.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 am

Unexpected pregnancy sucks :evil: I guess there really isn't a 100% form of birth control....time to schedule the big V though, 2 kids is enough!
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:19 am

Welcome to the "thought we were done at 2" club!
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:28 am

this'll be our 2nd, but I'm going in for the nut cut in a few weeks. 2 is definitely enough. Hell, maybe my wife'll get her tubes tied too (double protection, plus she hates menstruating). I'd only wanted one kid TBH. I'm 30 this year FFS, I'm too old for another infant.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:47 am

paulWTAMU wrote:I'm 30 this year FFS, I'm too old for another infant.

Heh, wife & I were both 33 when one & only appeared.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:59 am

35 when ours was born. It'll be okay. :)
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:48 am

i am 42 and wife is 30. can we make babies still?
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch