Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

just brew it!
Administrator

Re: dymt reloaded

Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:14 pm

Thanks for the congrats guys. Aside from the fact that it looks like a really interesting job with a great company, I also like the fact that I can get there on public transit. Although the total commute time will be similar to what I've got now (roughly an hour each way) I won't be fighting rush hour traffic.

One of next week's projects will be figuring out if any of my new workplace neighbors would be offended by a clicky keyboard in their midst! :lol: (I have a Rosewill RK-9000 MX blue 'board with o-ring mod that I've taken to both of my last 2 jobs... at the most recent one there was a lot of other noise so the keyboard wasn't an issue, and at the one before that I had a semi-private office with an officemate who wore headphones most of the time!)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:09 pm

just brew it! wrote:
a Rosewill RK-9000 MX blue 'board with o-ring mod
If it's a problem, try an RK-9000 with MX Brown with o-ring mods. Oh yeah, and Congrats from me too.

just brew it!
Administrator

Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:18 pm

MarkG509 wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
a Rosewill RK-9000 MX blue 'board with o-ring mod

If it's a problem, try an RK-9000 with MX Brown with o-ring mods. Oh yeah, and Congrats from me too.

I find the tactile feedback of the browns to be a little underwhelming, but yeah that would be a reasonable fallback option.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:27 pm

So, It's a Lovely DayTM here (90+ & humid) and I'm out weedwhacking with the Husqvarna. Daughter hops in her car and I move to block her, wielding the Husky as the Doof Warrior wielded his guitar. Daughter gets great fun out of it as Fury Road is about all she can draw these days (she's an artist), but I need to find a way to make that Husky weedwhacker spit fire from the business end to get it just right.

Or I could have spent too much time out in the blazing sun with a 2-stroke engine under my right armpit.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:16 am

just brew it! wrote:
I find the tactile feedback of the browns to be a little underwhelming, but yeah that would be a reasonable fallback option.

A "little underwhelming"? That's a "little bit of an understatement."

:)

Stay out of the sun, Ned!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

MarkG509
Gerbil Elite

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:46 am

DancinJack wrote:
That's a "little bit of an understatement."
Ahh, give him a break. He just got a new job, so he's on his best behavior. He'll come around in a week or so, after he learns what's PC at the new place. :lol:

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:46 am

DancinJack wrote:
oh yeah well one of my titles at work is scrum master. how about that JBI???

grats!

HAHA I too am a Master of Scrum! My IT division just switched from Waterfall to Agile so they wanted all developers to be CSD & CSM. At least they paid for it.

And now my life revolves around my Backlog.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:38 pm

tanker27 wrote:
HAHA I too am a Master of Scrum! My IT division just switched from Waterfall to Agile so they wanted all developers to be CSD & CSM. At least they paid for it.

And now my life revolves around my Backlog.

Seriously. My web history is as follows:

JIRA
JIRA
company website
JIRA
JIRA
JIRA
stackoverflow
JIRA
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:57 pm

DancinJack wrote:
Seriously. My web history is as follows:

JIRA
JIRA
company website
JIRA
JIRA
JIRA
stackoverflow
JIRA

Sadly I feel your pain. :P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:42 pm

JIRA can just DIAF. We only use it for development tasks, though. Maybe it's better if you use it as the customer support portal stuff. We're retiring Onyx and moving to Microsoft Dynamics CRM, but guess what's staying? If you said, "JIRA," you'd be right. :p
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:54 pm

So... the standard IT-issued computing device at the new job is a MacBook Pro. I'm told that if I complain loudly enough they'll issue me a Dell instead (onto which I would be allowed to install my choice of OS, provided I don't ask IT for support if the OS isn't Windows). I'm seriously considering giving the MacBook a go, as I do like the thinness of it, and the display. I think it'll all hinge on how well the MacBook runs Linux VMs, since most of my actual work will be Linux-related.

Edit: And I agree with the JIRA sentiment expressed in the post above this one. :lol:

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:27 am

Tell your database guys to vet information quality after a migration.

Send out an email 10 minutes later explaining that the software vendor disabled all data quality checking tools during migrations.

I'm going to raise this issue when I'm in Austin for a meeting....like WTF guys. You give us 2 weeks of access to the new database, but it's got EVERYTHING we'd use to check our records disabled while they're migrating data? Not to mention, you're still working on running scripts to clean it up....I need to hit something
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:12 pm

New job update...

In training classes for most of the past 2 days so haven't had a chance to really settle in yet.

So far, trying to run Linux VMs on the MacBook has been only mildly irritating. Most of the issues relate to keyboard mapping (stupid Mac keyboard layout) and 3D acceleration in the VM (which I don't really need, but would make KDE run a little smoother). Planning to stick with the MacBook unless I hit a show-stopper issue; but it's nice to know a fallback option is available if I need it.

Aside from the cubicles being a little on the small side (not unexpected given the cost of square footage in downtown Chicago), the work environment is excellent. And none of my cube neighbors seem to mind my clicky keyboard... whoo-hoo! :D

A 28" 4K monitor showed up on my desk yesterday afternoon. I'm really not used to that. It almost feels TOO big! :o

I'm starting to scope out potential lunch destinations within walking distance. There are so many choices; maybe some Korean tomorrow. Yum!

Now I just need to figure out which cars of the (rather long) commuter train I need to be on to be close enough to the crossover tunnel when I get off, so that I don't miss the frikkin' shuttle bus to my subdivision for the 3rd day in a row! :-? (Not the end of the world, there's another one about 20 minutes later, coincident with the next train... but there's gotta be a trick to this!)

Edit: And something I'd actually forgotten since the last time I worked downtown a decade ago: The concession just inside the station entrance selling over-priced cans of beer to commuters heading for the trains. They've actually got some halfway decent craft brews now; back in the day the most exciting thing they had was Heineken. So I grabbed a Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA for the ride home. :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:34 pm

just brew it! wrote:
I'm starting to scope out potential lunch destinations within walking distance. There are so many choices; maybe some Korean tomorrow. Yum!

Come next May and August I will be within 3 minutes walk to FRB Chicago. If that's your "downtown", we need to make plans.

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:38 pm

just brew it! wrote:
So... the standard IT-issued computing device at the new job is a MacBook Pro. I'm told that if I complain loudly enough they'll issue me a Dell instead (onto which I would be allowed to install my choice of OS, provided I don't ask IT for support if the OS isn't Windows). I'm seriously considering giving the MacBook a go, as I do like the thinness of it, and the display. I think it'll all hinge on how well the MacBook runs Linux VMs, since most of my actual work will be Linux-related.

Edit: And I agree with the JIRA sentiment expressed in the post above this one. :lol:

Are you not allowed to install other OSes on the MBP? It's possible to install linux on a Apple computer if you need it.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:10 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Come next May and August I will be within 3 minutes walk to FRB Chicago. If that's your "downtown", we need to make plans.

8 minute walk from FRB according to Google; maybe even closer to where you're gonna be, depending on what direction from the FRB you're talking about. :wink:

DrDominodog51 wrote:
Are you not allowed to install other OSes on the MBP? It's possible to install linux on a Apple computer if you need it.

I hadn't even considered that (or asked if IT was OK with it). The guy I'll be working most closely with ditched his MBP for a Dell laptop, so I figured that was the other option. How well does Linux on a Mac work?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:24 pm

just brew it! wrote:
8 minute walk from FRB according to Google; maybe even closer to where you're gonna be, depending on what direction from the FRB you're talking about. :wink:

Hotel will be Adams & Clark.

DrDominodog51
Gerbil Elite

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:25 pm

I haven't personally tried it, but I have looked into it. You have to install something like rEFIt first. There are a lot of guides on how to install Ubuntu and derivatives, but most are a bit outdated (12.04 Lts).

http://lifehacker.com/5934942/how-to-du ... e-hardware
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-linux-macbook-pro/

It seems that 12.04 had the drivers for most devices. Depending on how new your MBP is the wifi driver could not exist though.

Edit: This one seems to be the most up to date and is from the creater of the most current fork of rEFIt
http://www.rodsbooks.com/ubuntu-efi/index.html
Last edited by DrDominodog51 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A10-7850K; GA-F2A88XN-WIFI, 16 GB of 2400MHz DDR3, 500 GB Team Group L5 SSD

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:36 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Hotel will be Adams & Clark.

Cool. We'll have to plan something.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:54 pm

It's also worth noting that Linus Torvalds himself used MacBook Airs (although apparently not any more).
Last edited by bhtooefr on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:06 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
It's also worth noting that Linus Torvalds himselves used MacBook Airs (although apparently not any more).

I myself MIGHT have used MacBook Airs, though if I did I'm pretty sure it would not have been in a manner in which you could ascribe some small amount of fame based on the user.

Now remind me, were the MacBook Airs the ones with the glossy smooth covers or the ones whose covers had a bit more bite, as it will be determinative to my use case.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:11 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Glossy smooth covers or the ones that had a bit more bite?
Problem solved.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:19 pm

"Himselves"? I was not aware that Linus had multiple personalities.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:20 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Glossy smooth covers or the ones that had a bit more bite?
Problem solved.

It would solve the problem I defined.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:21 pm

just brew it! wrote:
"Himselves"? I was not aware that Linus had multiple personalities.

Did the Germans bomb Pearl Harbor? Go with it.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Typo influenced by Boulevard Tank 7, now fixed.

(It's also not nearly as hoppy as the blurb claims it is, which is IMO a very good thing.)

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:42 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Typo influenced by Boulevard Tank 7, now fixed.

Ahh, in the grand PUI tradition! :D

bhtooefr wrote:
(It's also not nearly as hoppy as the blurb claims it is, which is IMO a very good thing.)

Well, Farmhouse-style ales typically aren't all THAT hoppy. Those historical Belgian farmers supposedly tended to use stale hops... :lol:

Anyway, yeah Boulevard does some good stuff.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:45 pm

I'm well aware of Boulevard's quality, I was just surprised to see it available in Ohio! Saw it, checked the IBUs, decided they were within my tolerance range, and grabbed it.

(Usually I get their stuff when I'm in Kansas City for an Apple II convention.)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:45 am

Ugg that time of the year for appraisals. I hate objectives that are team/division related that I have no direct control over. :-?

BTW the way my company does appraisals is each objective is scored 1-5. 1 being seriously bad, 3 is on target, 4 is exceptional, and 5's well they are rare and you have to have had gone above and beyond expectations. I usually get two 5's out of 12 total objectives. The score is then average and that average is added to the companies yearly growth percentage. After that a formula is used to calculate profit sharing. The formula used depends on your status/job within the company, Hourly employees obviously are calculated very differently from salaried employees, which in turn is different from management or management level positions. Needless to say the higher you are the bigger your piece of the pie is. Barring any low score percentages from your appraisal.

For the past 12 years I have averaged from a 4.35 (this was my first score here) to 4.75 (I got this two years ago) which is really good. But every year its getting harder and harder to not only stay above a four but to concisely justify it. This year I hope to get a 4.5.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:33 am

Sounds like you work for a big corp. I like working for my small companies. ~150 employees means reviews are still pretty useful, actually.