Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:28 pm

cass wrote:
I am lost.... Unfortunately I have to work for a living and missed out on the ten thousand hours of free time to watch Sci-fi TV. Capt Ned must be borg... all that time spent on sci fi and still modding 3000 posts/day in the real fur ball forums.

I watched B5 as it aired way back when in 94-98. As for Galactica, a networked TiVo has proven very handy. 8)
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

lordT
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:29 pm

Hmmm.. I have counselling today for placements in college. I am a nervous wreck :( Hope I get placed in the one I want

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:34 pm

482!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:42 pm

An interesting page on the fluid dynamics of traffic.

http://www.amasci.com/amateur/traffic/traffic1.html

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:03 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
tfp wrote:
B5 was a great series to bad it was only 5 seasons they could have done so much more with it.

JMS wrote the show as a 5-season story arc. There's nothing to add or take away. It is complete as it stands.

It's kind of funny watching bits of it though, because I think I can tell a few places where the story ended up getting changed to accommodate actors/actresses who didn't want to be in the show any more. Like when the female telepath (whose name I forget) gets killed.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:03 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the link. Good read.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:32 pm

SNM wrote:
Like when the female telepath (whose name I forget) gets killed.

Well, Talia Winters' personality dies in "Divided Loyalties". In real life though, Andrea Thompson didn't think she was getting enough camera time. So she bolted.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:35 pm

I'm sure leaving didn't improve her camera time. Also a nice way to make sure she can't come back if her career wasn't better elsewhere. :lol:

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:36 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Well, Talia Winters' personality dies in "Divided Loyalties". In real life though, Andrea Thompson didn't think she was getting enough camera time. So she bolted.

Yeah. I just thought it was a bit of an obvious coverup after she'd been given telekinetic abilities (and potentially other powers) when her experimented-on friend was chased off by the Psi Corps.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:50 pm

Pushing forwards towards page 483 by midnight. Think we can do it? :P

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:53 pm

idchafee wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
Highlander 2.

That is all.

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:54 pm

Note that I have not seen the movie in question, and have no plans on it. (Too busy fixing my cars to pay for movies... and the Le Mans stuff doesn't count, I didn't realize I'd be QUITE this busy when I ordered it :P)

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:58 pm

Speaking of that Le Mans stuff...

Seven DVDs.

20 hours minus commercial breaks. (Missing the four hours that Speed Channel was covering NASCAR truck series qualifying instead of Le Mans. :evil: )

All Le Mans, all the time. :D

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:13 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Pushing forwards towards page 483 by midnight. Think we can do it? :P

Keep replying to your own posts and we'll be there before you know it. :P

bhtooefr wrote:
the Le Mans stuff doesn't count, I didn't realize I'd be QUITE this busy when I ordered it :P)

bhtooefr wrote:
Speaking of that Le Mans stuff...
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:13 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Note that I have not seen the movie in question, and have no plans on it. (Too busy fixing my cars to pay for movies... and the Le Mans stuff doesn't count, I didn't realize I'd be QUITE this busy when I ordered it :P)

Do not waste your time on this movie. It will leave you wanting to gouge out your eyes and puncture your eardrums so you can never again be subjected to something so horrible. It is awful.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:14 pm

Vrock wrote:
Do not waste your time on this movie. It will leave you wanting to gouge out your eyes and puncture your eardrums so you can never again be subjected to something so horrible. It is awful.

QFT!
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:20 pm

I saw highlander II and was like WTF during most of it...made no sense whatsoever. Also first post in DYMT II FTW :D

jobodaho
Graphmaster Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:52 pm

My first and probably last post in DYMT 2. I just can't keep pace...

Deathright
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:06 am

crap I go way and already 5 pages, let get up to something repectable liek 300 in a week or so k guy

:lol:
Network theory sucks.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:55 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Unseen was a bad word choice. It's more like fleshing out the scattered bits of Sheridan's and Delenn's future we see in "War Without End".
Actually I like the way events were foretold and implied in B5. Although when JMS actually came around to realize it on screen they turned out mostly good. I would have been satisfied with season 4 since I already know what will happen after the Interstellar Alliance is born, and that I don't even need to go out on some fan website to read about it. It's all laid out very nicely in "Deconstruction". That was one fine potential finale in case things did not work out.

Captain Ned wrote:
EDIT: The episode you refer to, "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars", borrows the main theme of the classic sci-fi novel "A Canticle for Leibowitz" in the segment that takes place after the Great Burn caused by Garibaldi's messing around in the computers.
The Great Burn was caused by Garibaldi hax0ring? I don't recall seeing that. I thought the Great Burn is just mankind's 3rd try at a great war to destroy themselves. And since 3rd time is a charm, they overcame and eventually evolve enough to join the others at the frontier?

tfp wrote:
Yeah I know, they do leave alot out because of the big jump of time at the end of the series. It is to bad they didn't do anything else in the B5 universe to fill those holes.
Like what? Are you talking about the big jump to "Deconstruction" or the 20-year jump til the end of Sheridan's life? There is really not much to tell, the main characters began to die off during the first few years of the Interstellar Alliance. Londo and others. AFAICT, the whole story was about this crucial 1000 years or so period where the One Who Was, the One Who Is, and the One Who Will Be crossed paths thereby creating a series of events that do not occur very often. With the 3 disappearing from the scene the story has run its course and does not need further extending.

tfp wrote:
There could have been a few different shows to spin off from that, that could have been very good if done right.
I appreciate the will to just close the book and say "that's it", instead of trying to milk out as much as possible and ruin the whole "franchise". All good things must come to an end. And judging by Crusade, whatever spin off they are going to do is almost guaranteed to fail. I would have been ok if they stopped with Call to Arms, but they have to produce this abomination called Crusade. Lame ass technomage subplot (they are a cool bunch though), treasure find of the week, I guess the word boring never came to the writer's minds. Too bad it is out and I have seen it. I will be spending the remainder of my life trying to erase that from memory. :x
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:49 am

its not even 24 hours and 5 pages of reloaded.. cool :o

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:58 am

Well, I guess we didn't make it to page 483... :evil:

Oh well, it was a bit of a stretch... :lol:

BuddhistFish
Graphmaster Gerbil

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:16 am

As usual, the jack ass who is supposed to relieve me this morning is late. How friggin hard is it to show up for work on time? I mean, it's this way ever day he works. I'm not complaining about the overtime, but I'd honestly like to leave on time one day.
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:48 am

Flying Fox wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
EDIT: The episode you refer to, "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars", borrows the main theme of the classic sci-fi novel "A Canticle for Leibowitz" in the segment that takes place after the Great Burn caused by Garibaldi's messing around in the computers.
The Great Burn was caused by Garibaldi hax0ring? I don't recall seeing that. I thought the Great Burn is just mankind's 3rd try at a great war to destroy themselves. And since 3rd time is a charm, they overcame and eventually evolve enough to join the others at the frontier?

In the segment where the guy with the SS badge on his uniform is using holograms (or whatever) of Sheridan et. al. to portray the B5 crew as cold-blooded murderers, Garibaldi's hologram tells the SS dude that he used to be pretty good with computers and winks out for a second or two. A few seconds later the warnings about incoming missiles are heard.

Rolling20s
Gerbil Elite

Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:55 am

I *knew* that I heard a chorus of angels when this thread was started. No wonder my day went so well yesterday. :wink:

Spent the weekend with family, celebrating birthdays and just generally hanging out. The only downside is that I also had to help with the inventories of two other stores on my day off (Sunday). We did the first one from 7AM until around 10AM and then the second one from 5PM until 10:30PM... then a 1 1/2 hour drive home... just no fun. Thank goodness that it looks like inventories are going to once a year rather than 4 times a year as they used to be.

When I saw Highlander 2, I was, like, 12 or 13 and I thought it was good... I guess I'm (or was, at least) pretty **** in the head.

Pagey
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:59 am

Clearly I have missed something by not watchng the Highlander series of movies. One of my friends in elementary school was all about some Highlander. I was always clueless when he discussed it, though.

I have just enough of a headache this morning to be annoying/distracting. It's not full blown yet, but it's there saying, "Hey, remember me? Well, you will all day long, buddy."

These pretzels are making me thirsty! /George

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:26 am

Pagey wrote:
These pretzels are making me thirsty! /George
Wouldn't that be Kramer's quote?

BTW, pretty happy my call of the 2407 Dell deal is finally here, although I am quite satisfied with my 2005FPW and will probably only look at a new monitor once SED is out.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

Jigar
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:31 am

PerfectCr wrote:
Dude, who really cares what page it is, I mean really.

Hi Bro ... how are u???? :)

cheesyking
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:40 am

Vrock wrote:
idchafee wrote:
mattsteg wrote:
Highlander 2.

That is all.

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty sure I remember <a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110027/">"Highlander III (The Sourcerer)"</a> being far worse.

And if I remember how bad "Highlander II" was correctly that is really saying something :o

Though strangely that review site says otherwise... I suppose the really strange thing is that over 4000 people seem to have bothered voting for it at all :-?
Fernando!
Your mother ate my dog!

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:04 am

This thread needs a post.

I'll move car questions not related to an already open thread back into here.

This car:

...needs wheels. (It comes with a grille and all that, don't worry, it just had to come off for the engine and trans that were in it to come out. So the guy left them off. ;))

I have these wheels:

But I don't think they'll look "right".

Your opinions of these wheels?

I think they'll look much better. I'm trying to find them BEFORE getting the car, as the car needs wheels for the trip here. :) Not to mention, the wheels I have need tires very soon...