Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: dymt reloaded

Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:30 pm

BiffStroganoffsky wrote:
Also noticed that the wait staff are middle-aged and older. Is this the new job market paradigm finally catching up with this little burg or are the twenty & thirty-somethings migrating to Metropolis for higher wages...to go with higher rent? Is the service sector targeting the older applicants or is this an anomaly?

The specifics may be dependent upon your local demographics, but in the US generally, it is partly due to the recession and correspondingly high unemployment. People in the middle-age-and-up demographic who have lost a job or the value of their 401(k) account have taken over many of the lower-wage/service type jobs. Meanwhile, teen unemployment is at an all-time high.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:34 am

Today's xkcd comic is just huge: http://xkcd.com/1110/
There are people in the xkcd forum reverse engineering it and coming up with maps to the interesting stuff.

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:51 am

notfred wrote:
Today's xkcd comic is just huge: http://xkcd.com/1110/
There are people in the xkcd forum reverse engineering it and coming up with maps to the interesting stuff.

I'm hoping someone does something like LineRider and makes it so you can run a little sprite around.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:01 am

With a little knowledge of Jquery and using firebug you could probably pull all the images that he's used in that collage pretty easily.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 am

Holy crap. I can't spend all day exploring that thing! :o
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MaxTheLimit
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:36 pm

I got all the way over to the far right of the image. Accidentally left the page and lost my place going the other direction though.

On another note, I just found out today that I've got two full months of vacation that I haven't used up and have to by December. I guess you have to ASK to have them just pay out. So I either take a nice long vacation at the end of the year or get a big pay check. Either way, pretty neat.

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:49 pm

So the west edge is 34 images to the left of the starting point. Each image is 2048x2048. The east edge is even further, at 47 images over. I don't think there's anything up in the sky, but I couldn't really tell how far the tunnels extended as I didn't explore them fully and the urls were harder to hop around.

One of my favorites http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/1n8w.png
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:56 pm

lonleyppl wrote:
So the west edge is 34 images to the left of the starting point. Each image is 2048x2048. The east edge is even further, at 47 images over. I don't think there's anything up in the sky, but I couldn't really tell how far the tunnels extended as I didn't explore them fully and the urls were harder to hop around.

One of my favorites http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/1n8w.png

There's stuff in the sky too. Like: http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/9n2e.png

Edit: And...
http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/8n6e.png
http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/3n2e.png
http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/3n3e.png

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:17 pm

Oh neat-o. There's another X-Wing coming out of one of the caverns. I guess I have some more exploring to do when I get a chance. Or maybe I should just look around to see if anyone has stitched all the images together yet.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:25 pm

There are stitched ones linked from the XKCD forums, at various resolutions.

And lots of people complaining about it crashing their image editing tools because it's too damn big! :lol:

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:07 pm

And those crashes are on machines with 8GB of RAM as well :o

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:18 am

Here guys:

http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/#3/36.24/-9.67

Zoom in/out with your mouse and don't miss anything.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:31 am

I'm OK with hard work, precise work, etc. What I don't like is pointless hard work, which is why I'm on a conference call arguing against forcing us to change how we enter addresses into our database. I've asked 3x WHY people are pushing for this change. I can't get an answer. And our software doesn't have a good way to do a find/replace.
What cracks me up is the biggest one in the state is pushing for this and it'd be the most work for them. Who gives a damn that it's Street instead of St.?
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:33 am

Job security. :D

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:36 am

*shudder*
I don't want to change some 7,400 addresses by hand. Really don't want to.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:56 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I'm OK with hard work, precise work, etc. What I don't like is pointless hard work, which is why I'm on a conference call arguing against forcing us to change how we enter addresses into our database. I've asked 3x WHY people are pushing for this change. I can't get an answer. And our software doesn't have a good way to do a find/replace.
What cracks me up is the biggest one in the state is pushing for this and it'd be the most work for them. Who gives a damn that it's Street instead of St.?

It's the US Postal Service. I've had the same thing happen in my slice of gov't life and it was the Postal Service wanting complete address standardization US-wide. You no longer live on a Street or Road, you live on a ST or RD.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:25 am

Nope. We don't work with USPS at all. It *might* be tied to mail merging issues but if so no one is saying so.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:29 pm

WTF are "natural bacon type flavor" and "natural lettuce type flavor"?

(They're two of the ingredients in Lay's BLT Flavored Potato Chips.)

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:36 pm

just brew it! wrote:

Couldn't say, but I'm guessing they'll be listed in the toxocology panel of the coroner's report.

I do note that a Google search for "natural bacon type flavor" does not yet include TR on the first page, which is a pretty good sign that you're not the only person wondering :)
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:45 pm

ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Couldn't say, but I'm guessing they'll be listed in the toxocology panel of the coroner's report.

I do note that a Google search for "natural bacon type flavor" does not yet include TR on the first page, which is a pretty good sign that you're not the only person wondering :)

Yeah, it's currently on the 4th page. :wink:

If we keep mentioning it maybe we can move it up:
natural bacon type flavor

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:03 pm

I spent 2 hours working out (weights and cardio). I'm procedding to undo at least some of that by eating a nice steak and drinking about half a dozen shots of rum mixed with sprite zero. It's good feeling this way. Watching Patriot Games and getting silly.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:13 pm

Can you hear the lamentations of the women?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:20 pm

conan right? no, watched thatl ast night :P my wife got switched to closing shifts all week so i feel very lonely and tired.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:41 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
conan right? no, watched thatl ast night :P my wife got switched to closing shifts all week so i feel very lonely and tired.

Mines' been on that kind of schedule coming up on a year now, so I wait up for her to get home, we chat for an hour, and then we're all very beat. Morning comes early for me. Need to nap during the afternoons...lol
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:51 pm

pretty much. we're going to stick with it for a while, at least till Samuel is a year old (due in November), to help cut down child care cost. but goddamnit, I married my wife because I love her and like spending time with her. and I'm not getting to as much right now :(

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:57 pm

When I first moved to my current area I had a job that was 4PM to 2AM. After the shift there was no way I was going to sleep much before 6AM and to get there required ethanol in quantities that pretty much precluded consciousness before 2PM. That was a hellish 5 months of wake, work, drink off the work buzz, sleep. Lather, rinse, repeat. I was 21 then and there's no way I could do that now.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:04 pm

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/internatio ... 6bpVlddJgM

Lay in your bacon supplies now. It freezes perfectly and is pretty much immortal once frozen in the standard package.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 pm

I'm going to make my own :P I'm getting 2-3 MOA groups with my 30-30 at 100 yards, and I'm scouting some hog hunting locations around here. At 200+ lbs on the hoof I should be able ot make a LOT of bacon and pork sausage!

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:07 am

Who needs bacon supplies when you have natural bacon type flavor?
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:17 am

just brew it! wrote:
ludi wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Yeah, it's currently on the 4th page. :wink:

If we keep mentioning it maybe we can move it up:

Top of page 2 in the search results now! (This post and the one above it may move it to page 1 next time they crawl TR... :lol:)

Is anyone else amazed at how quickly Google indexes new posts in the TR forums? Less than 2 hours elapsed between the first "natural bacon type flavor" post and the appearance of this thread in Google's search results for that phrase. It's actually a little creepy, in a way.