Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Re: dymt reloaded

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:27 pm

While you're in the middle of the job, save one of those fender snap-clips and take it to your local NAPA (or try eBay) and order at least ten spares.

One thing I've discovered since I started working on vehicles roughly '00 and up is that a baggie full of miscellaneous snap clips is a big time saver. Pretty much every part of a modern car that isn't solid metal attached to solid metal has an entire menagerie of those things lying in wait for some unfortunate human to come along and disturb their slumber.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:32 pm

I was lucky and only terminally killed one. That said I will be searching FleaBay for replacements. Subaru has 3 versions, helpfully labeled types A, B, and C. They all suck.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:44 pm

guess I'm lucky, I pay my oil change guy whatever it costs to do stuff like that
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

Yahoolian
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:14 am

This thread is still around? Dang...

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:02 am

My goodness. First time i've seen something like that when it wasn't spam.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:11 am

so for the las tyear i've been the sole person on a work thing that is going t determine if we keep our funding--meaning if my coworkers and i stay employed or if we're SOL. I thougth we'd find out today but nope, it's another 30 days till we know >< I thogutyh the stress woudl get better but nope. gotta wait another month. i'll be on leave for Sam's birth when the decison comes in.

this des not help thestress levels! I thought i'd know for sure if Iddi my job or not toda not in another month.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:59 am

Hopefully, they gave you the resources necessary to accomplish your work. It is a dual-edged blade to have that kind of control and burden at the same time.

ClickClick5
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:40 pm

DancinJack wrote:

My goodness. First time i've seen something like that when it wasn't spam.

Hey! That's my GPUZ question! Of which...anyone know if it is the drivers, GPUZ or Win 8 causing the 0MB report in the memory usage dedicated tab?
i7-5930k (4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400, 2080Ti, GA-X99-UD3, Samsung 860 Pro 256GB (os/programs), Toshiba 5TB (games), WD VelociRaptor 500GB (games/scratch disk), Win 10 Pro x64
Check out my site for trance sets and other goodies! clickclick5.com!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:54 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
so for the las tyear i've been the sole person on a work thing that is going t determine if we keep our funding--meaning if my coworkers and i stay employed or if we're SOL. I thougth we'd find out today but nope, it's another 30 days till we know >< I thogutyh the stress woudl get better but nope. gotta wait another month. i'll be on leave for Sam's birth when the decison comes in.

this des not help thestress levels! I thought i'd know for sure if Iddi my job or not toda not in another month.

You really, really, really need to get another job. Low pay, high stress, working with the public, no job security, rotating bosses....why are you still there?

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:13 pm

Vrock wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:

You really, really, really need to get another job. Low pay, high stress, working with the public, no job security, rotating bosses....why are you still there?

Speaking of work crap... I'd been putting in a lot of unpaid OT these past few months as well. Just found out last week that the business unit I work for (currently part of a privately held company) is being sold off to the US division of a multi-national corporation that is headquartered in France. Management is painting a rosy picture, but this has significant potential for suckage.

Guess I'd better learn French... :roll:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:52 pm

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
You'll be surprised
You're doing the French Mistake!!
VOILA!!

:P

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:21 pm

Mostly because we have a kid on the way (like, within the next 2 weeks--due on Thanksgiving, but my wife is having either false or pre labor right now) and I want ot keep benefits and paid time off. I plan to start hunting while on paternity leave.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:43 pm

Vrock wrote:
Geez, you sure the Subaru isn't a German designed car?

Even the Germans aren't that bad.

That's the FRENCH that are that bad.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:42 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Vrock wrote:
Geez, you sure the Subaru isn't a German designed car?

Even the Germans aren't that bad.

That's the FRENCH that are that bad.

OK, I could take the German hack. The French hack is just too far. In a survey of reliability, comparing Subaru to Peugeot, Renault, and Citroen??

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:52 pm

I'm actually being literal that the French are exactly that bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXCZ2v-nIF4

(Of course, he did the RIGHT bulb on the Golf, and on VWs, the left bulb tends to be harder to get at. But still, the worst you have to do is remove the battery.)

Hell, assuming the screws haven't rusted, I can swap both FIXTURES on a Mk4 Golf faster than a bulb swap on the Megane. (The fiddly bits are reinstalling the bumper and the hood release lever that pops out when you lift the hood.)

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:11 pm

THROWWWW THEEEEE CHEEEEEESEEEEE
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:47 am

JBI wrote:
Just found out last week that the business unit I work for (currently part of a privately held company) is being sold off to the US division of a multi-national corporation that is headquartered in France.

ooooh can I guess?

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:06 am

Glorious wrote:
JBI wrote:
Just found out last week that the business unit I work for (currently part of a privately held company) is being sold off to the US division of a multi-national corporation that is headquartered in France.

ooooh can I guess?

If you want. :wink:

While I tend not to discuss who I currently work for here, I haven't really made an attempt to keep it a secret either. Anyone with average or above search engine skills can probably figure out where I work and who just bought us...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:31 am

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:10 pm

So I think I have officially developed a love for whiskey. It started with Jameson, but now I've added Maker's Mark to my cabinet.

However, I was dissapointed by Johnnie Walker. I would still like to find a Scotch, so does anyone have a suggestion?

I would also be open to other whiskey suggestions.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Wild Turkey is god's gift to taste buds. It's a little stronger than Maker's, especially if you drink the real stuff (80 proof is just watered down more than 101 proof, but made with the same process), but it's also got so much more malt flavor. Buffalo Trace is alright too, but I've found that I haven't had a premium bourbon that I liked enough to justify the premium over good old Wild Turkey. (Stay away from Four Roses, the stuff is drain cleaner for $40 a bottle.)

On the scotch side, I like the Glenmorangie, but that may be because I haven't had enough Scotch to know better. Seems like bhtooefr and the other scotch drinkers on the board are big on Laphroig. If you wandered over to the "what are you drinking" thread, you'd probably be able to get some good advice.
Krogoth wrote:
Care to enlightenment me?

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:44 pm

grantmeaname wrote:
Wild Turkey is god's gift to taste buds. It's a little stronger than Maker's, especially if you drink the real stuff (80 proof is just watered down more than 101 proof, but made with the same process), but it's also got so much more malt flavor. Buffalo Trace is alright too, but I've found that I haven't had a premium bourbon that I liked enough to justify the premium over good old Wild Turkey. (Stay away from Four Roses, the stuff is drain cleaner for $40 a bottle.)

On the scotch side, I like the Glenmorangie, but that may be because I haven't had enough Scotch to know better. Seems like bhtooefr and the other scotch drinkers on the board are big on Laphroig. If you wandered over to the "what are you drinking" thread, you'd probably be able to get some good advice.

I will have to give Wild Turkey a try, then. I think the only premium whiskey I've tried so far was Black Label, which was a bit of a dissapointement. I've heard 12 year Jameson is good, so I'll have to try that soon.

As for thread choice, I think you're right. I'll have to head over to the drink thread.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:44 pm

grantmeaname wrote:

Laphroig is in no respects a "starter Scotch", unless your taste buds enjoy heavy peat, phenol, and seaweed. Start with the blends. You didn't like JW, so give Chivas and/or Dewars a whirl. Once you move to single-malts you need to understand that just like wine, 2 bottles of the "same" Scotch may very well have different tastes.

FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil

Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:57 pm

superjawes wrote:
So I think I have officially developed a love for whiskey. It started with Jameson, but now I've added Maker's Mark to my cabinet.

However, I was dissapointed by Johnnie Walker. I would still like to find a Scotch, so does anyone have a suggestion?

I would also be open to other whiskey suggestions.

Knob Creek is a great bourbon, and you can find it most places. Willet makes some great stuff, too. More refined and flavorful than Knob Creek, Makers, or Wild Turkey.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:43 pm

Grant's is reasonable before heading in to single malt territory.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:44 pm

hard to go wrong with the Glenlivet
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:56 pm

I kind of like Maker's Mark and Knob Creek, but I'm a bit of a cheapskate; I drink Kracken rum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Ugh. Replacing hinges and the LCD cover on a Lenovo is no picnic. I'd like to know exactly what she shut the cover on to break things so badly. She managed to snap one of the metal hinge rails and both sides of the cover.

I now know by sight the difference between M2 and M2.5 screws.

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:59 am

Am I the only one around here who just learned about Steins;Gate anime and can't realize why i didn't find out sooner about it?
Last edited by Arclight on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:21 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I kind of like Maker's Mark and Knob Creek, but I'm a bit of a cheapskate; I drink Kracken rum.

Nothing wrong with Maker's Mark or Knob Creek. But I've pretty much been off of hard liquor for a few years, preferring to focus on the beer side of things. I'll admit that some Maker's Mark or a nice Scotch would be really nice right about now though... :wink: