Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: dymt reloaded

Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:54 pm

I consider wearing socks at all to be dressing up.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:57 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I consider wearing socks at all to be dressing up.

Luckily for me, office wear is polos & Dockers. Don't need to iron everywhere else I go, but we do still have a few institutions where the suit coat stays on all day. I dread those jobs.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:56 pm

Ugh. Gotta chase down some soldering issue with my newly minted guitar. The whole thing sounded great when I first built it, but now the middle pickup is super quiet. The neck and bridge sound fine still, and positions 2 and 4 "work" but there's no difference in tone, because the middle isn't bneing blended in. I cranked the pickup all the way right up to by the strings, and you can kinda hear it, but then flip the switch and you'll blow your ears out.

Total soldering novice, so the fact it ever worked correctly in the first place is a minor miracle. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:19 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Vrock wrote:
They're horribly uncomfortable and only weird people like tank like wearing them. :)

Did he have a Niedermeyer as his ROTC leader and/or DI?
Much worse. We were Blue Ridge Rifles. :D

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Rifles
https://youtu.be/Ywz9jXGc5DE

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:58 am

Vrock wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Vrock wrote:
They're horribly uncomfortable and only weird people like tank like wearing them. :)

Did he have a Niedermeyer as his ROTC leader and/or DI?
Much worse. We were Blue Ridge Rifles. :D

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Ridge_Rifles
https://youtu.be/Ywz9jXGc5DE

+1 :D
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:01 pm

I read that as Blue Ridge Waffles, for some reason. I think this diet might be getting to me. :oops:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:29 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
I read that as Blue Ridge Waffles, for some reason. I think this diet might be getting to me. :oops:

Actually 1903a3s with fixed bayonets are challenging enough. Waffles are the next logical step though, of course.

farmpuma
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:52 am

derFunkenstein wrote:
Ugh. Gotta chase down some soldering issue with my newly minted guitar. ...

Total soldering novice, so the fact it ever worked correctly in the first place is a minor miracle. :lol:

Since it worked well at first, it might be a cold solder joint. Use solder wick (it looks like flat coax braid soaked in dried solder flux) to remove any excess solder blobs and reflow any dull/questionable looking joints. A good solder joint should look like a smooth shiny flow joining the parts.

Keep your soldering iron tip coated in a solder blob until you are ready to solder. Wipe the the tip on a damp (not wet) sponge and apply heat to the largest mass (usually the solder lug). After a few seconds (practice will tell you how many) slide the tip so it contacts both the larger mass and the smaller mass (usually the wire) and apply a little solder where all three are touching. Solder should flow smoothly and coat both masses. Remove iron and allow joint to cool without any movement.
[img]http://[/img] Image
.* * M-51 * *. .The Whirlpool Galaxy. .TV muted, X dual flying birds & a mantra, "Specter be Gone"

farmpuma
Location: Soybean field, IN, USA, Earth .. just a bit south of John .. err .... Fart Wayne, Indiana

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:20 am

Earlier this evening I watched most (I tuned in late) of a PBS Frontline film entitled Memory of the Camps. It is basically a travelogue of the liberation of the WWII concentration camps. I believe everyone needs to view this film, Particularly the holocaust denier imbeciles. Be forewarned! - This film is very graphic and it will leave a scar on your psyche. A scar to remind us that no matter how crap our lives might seem to be it is nothing compared to this.

How could people do these things to other people?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:16 am

In the last 10 years all of the WWII vets in my family have died, as have all their wives. Going through some of the letters that their spouses saved was damn heartbreaking, hearing them talk about a POW camp they were in (maternal great grandfather), the liberation of Italy (dad's dad, he went through Sicily and Italy), Nazi occupied Europe (great great uncle on dad's side), or Japanese occupied Asia (another great uncle).
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:35 am

My Dad's uncle rarely talked about his airborne unit's experience liberating a Nazi camp toward the end of WW2. Even 50 years later, the memories would shake him.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:18 am

Tax day conundrum: Why are the 3 copies of your W-2 labeled "Copy B", "Copy 2", and "Copy C"? And why is there sometimes (but not always!) a 4th copy, also labeled "Copy 2"?

Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

The Egg

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:17 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
In the last 10 years all of the WWII vets in my family have died, as have all their wives.

Yeap. Someone who was 18 in 1945 would have been born in 1927, making them 88. That's the youngest you could possibly be to have served in WWII. Someone who was a couple years older or served in the beginning of the war would be well into their 90's. In 5 years there won't be any left. :(

superjawes

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:43 am

just brew it! wrote:
Tax day conundrum: Why are the 3 copies of your W-2 labeled "Copy B", "Copy 2", and "Copy C"? And why is there sometimes (but not always!) a 4th copy, also labeled "Copy 2"?

Inquiring minds want to know! :lol:

This is just a guess, but mine are:

B for Federal
C for Employee
2 for State, City, or Local
2 (dupe)

I assume that copy "A" is either for the employer's records or the employer's tax documentation (or is just the federal master copy), and the same is true for "1" with the State, City, and/or Local. The employee will ony need one for his/her records, so copy "C" fills in for copy "3".

/notataxexpertthisisjustwhatwouldmakesensetome
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:59 am

I KNOW what they're FOR. I'm just curious about the inconsistent designations. "B" and "2"? WTF?!??

superjawes

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:01 am

Alphabetical for federal and numerical for everything else? Help to keep federal/non-federal taxes separated?
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:02 am

just brew it! wrote:
I KNOW what they're FOR. I'm just curious about the inconsistent designations. "B" and "2"? WTF?!??

Just another mystery courtesy of IRS. I suspect we'll find out why at about the same time we find out how many licks it really takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop (and no, it's not 3).

superjawes

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:10 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Just another mystery courtesy of IRS. I suspect we'll find out why at about the same time we find out how many licks it really takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop (and no, it's not 3).

About that...

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:13 am

The Egg wrote:
Someone who was 18 in 1945 would have been born in 1927, making them 88.
Unless they were like my wife's grandmother who ran away from home, forged her birthdate, put on lots of makeup, and signed up as a 21 year old when she was actually 16. She knew if she said she was 18 they would check in more detail so chose to make herself 21.

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:27 am

superjawes wrote:
Alphabetical for federal and numerical for everything else? Help to keep federal/non-federal taxes separated?

Yes.

The alphabetical ones correspond to federal requirements, numerical for the state ones:

A - Goes to the SSA (employee never sees it)
B - Goes to the Employee to be included with Federal return
C - Goes to the Employee as a personal copy.
D - Goes to the Employer (employee never sees it)

1 - Goes to the State (or lower) directly (employee never sees it)
2 - Goes to the Employee to be included with State (or lower) returns

Here in PA I actually receive two copies of Copy 2 :P from my employer (I get four total copies of my W-2, B, C, and two 2s). This is because I have to do a state return and a municipal return.

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc752.html
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1141.pdf

EDIT FOR FURTHER ELUCIDATION: This is not as haphazard as it may seem. We must remember that the conforming regulations for W-2s are followed by employers since they are the ones that must issue them. Employees such as ourselves merely receive them. Thus it is not at all odd that our "first" W-2 is B and not A: we're only the second part of the process, not the first. Even the ordinal ranking makes sense: Why wouldn't the government make sure that it got the forms it wanted before we do? And why wouldn't making sure the Employer sends one to itself come last? :wink:

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:50 am

Glorious wrote:
.... municipal return.

wait wut!? You are taxed by the city for which you live in? How have I never heard of this? (or have and just ignored it) What do said taxes pay for? What rate is it at? How often does said rate fluctuate? Is this in lieu of property tax or millage?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:53 am

tanker27 wrote:
wait wut!? You are taxed by the city for which you live in? How have I never heard of this? (or have and just ignored it) What do said taxes pay for? What rate is it at? How often does said rate fluctuate? Is this in lieu of property tax or millage?

Philly and NYC at the very least. And no, it's an add-on to property tax. The rest is clear R&P bait. Here's a list of muni income taxes (vintage unclear):

http://taxes.about.com/od/statetaxes/a/ ... -Taxes.htm

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:15 am

Glorious wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Yes.

[lightbulb goes on] Ahh, that's the bit I wasn't thinking of; makes a bit more sense now!

But why is the one intended for the muni return designated as a second copy of #2 (instead of #3)? :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:21 am

just brew it! wrote:
But why is the one intended for the muni return designated as a second copy of #2 (instead of #3)? :lol:

Well, if you e-file it really doesn't matter.

[/ducks]

Glorious
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:22 pm

tanker27 wrote:

Yes. Technically I'm taxed by both the township AND my school district, both of which take .5% which adds up to 1% total. You may not have heard of this because your state constitution/statutes may not allow for it. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania does, and it is my understanding that it is indeed somewhat unusual. The rate has been a flat 1% for as long as I've paid it, and that's in addition to the flat 3.07% state income tax rate. I pay property tax as well. I don't know the precise political history although I could find out. As far I as know it pays for schools and general town administrative stuff. Ultimately it's all sort of fungible, isn't it? Likewise with the break between property/income taxes: Am I paying "more" income tax as opposed to "less" property tax? <shrug>

If this situation sounds crazy, well, in some townships in PA you literally write out a check to a tax collector. As in, you directly pay "John Smith" your income tax. :o It's positively medieval. :P

I pay some tax administration company that is contracted to collect the taxes. As in, I pay my taxes to a private company, and for all I know they are the ones who self-assess the penalties for late/non-payment. Like I said, medieval. :lol:

And if THAT sounds crazy, well, until several years ago and Act 32 only half of my 1% would be withheld by my company. I'm not sure which half, but the ridiculousness of the situation was not lost on me when I had to write a check for the difference every year. :o Thankfully those days are past.

JBI wrote:
But why is the one intended for the muni return designated as a second copy of #2 (instead of #3)?

Think of it from a document control perspective: The designation is meant to categorical, not cardinal.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:20 pm

Glorious wrote:
Yes. Technically I'm taxed by both the township AND my school district, both of which take .5% which adds up to 1% total. You may not have heard of this because your state constitution/statutes may not allow for it. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania does, and it is my understanding that it is indeed somewhat unusual. The rate has been a flat 1% for as long as I've paid it, and that's in addition to the flat 3.07% state income tax rate. I pay property tax as well. I don't know the precise political history although I could find out. As far I as know it pays for schools and general town administrative stuff. Ultimately it's all sort of fungible, isn't it? Likewise with the break between property/income taxes: Am I paying "more" income tax as opposed to "less" property tax? <shrug>

Whereas here in VT there are no direct municipal income taxes, just state income tax. However, since the school portion of your annual property tax bill is a statewide calculation, you'll receive a credit to the school portion of your town/city property tax bill (counties in VT run the first-level criminal & civil courts, have sheriffs, and that's about it) if your household income is below a certain level. Since the credit is tied to the school property tax rate of your town/city (only 9 cities in VT), it could be considered an inverse income tax. I've tried to figure out the maths behind it all but have just given up and taken it as read.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:54 pm

WOW that's crazy.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:12 pm

tanker27 wrote:
WOW that's crazy.

Property tax years here in VT start July 1. Taxes (and the forms needed to determine the income-sensitivity credit) are due April 15. We've had this system for close to 10 years now and there isn't a single real estate attorney in the state who can say how that credit should be apportioned between buyer and seller for transactions happening between 4/15 and 7/1. The credit shows on your town property tax bill, but it's tied to your "household income" of the previous year. The purchaser can't claim their credit until income tax time next year, yet as transferee they pay the taxes as stated on the bill. It's a bloody mess. Add to that the fact that the nationwide loan servicers look at the net tax bill instead of the gross tax bill when calculating tax escrows (should your loan have one) and the confusion rises to a level where even Arthur Dent can no longer be merely astonished.

I swear the whole system was designed by the same people who did sets 'n' props for the Tom Baker (4th Doctor, guy with the really long scarf) years of Doctor Who and the 1981 BBC-TV version of Hitchhiker's Guide (clue: It was the same people). Must have been done on a Thursday.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:55 pm

No local (county/municipality) income tax for me, but we do have state income and sales tax, and local sales tax which varies by municipality, county, and nature of the item or service purchased. If you are unfortunate enough to be making a general merchandise (not food) purchase within the Chicago city limits, the total sales tax (state + county + city + regional mass transit tax) adds up to a whopping 9.25%! (Where I live it is 7.25%.) We get a small credit towards our state income tax based on the amount of property tax paid.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:16 pm

I'm sure I'll see it, as I'll be in the Loop from 4/27 through 4/30 (at least in evenings I can control).