Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:18 pm

Evil top of page laugh :p

edit: idchafee, how'd you break your watch?
Last edited by Looking for Knowledge on Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:19 pm

Speaking of IRC channels... some of you late night from-home DYMT frequenters should congregate on our seemingly quiet IRC channel. I've seen some people in there looking for a conversation, only to find that the legend of #idlereport continues...

.:Ttocs

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:21 pm

LOL... I can't get into the habit of logging into #techreport due to that very idling... :evil:

Page 481?

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:24 pm

Man, patience is just lost on some people it seems.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:25 pm

/me is firing up XiRCON... :rolleyes:

(I normally use Microsoft Chat, partially as a joke, but it can't handle freenode's identd stuff... :eek:)

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:34 pm

Heh.. I used to run XiRCON years ago, with kano14. It had a bunch of nice features, but it was slow and had a weird memory leak. It was the only IRC client I've used thus far that uses the s// command too.. it was kinda neat.

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:38 pm

There's a fix on the XiRCON site for that memory leak... I haven't installed it yet, though...

What IRC client do you use?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:44 pm

ChatZilla works fine for me.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:47 pm

Cap'n can you shed some light on my B5 question? KThx.
The Model M is not for the faint of heart. You either like them or hate them.

Gerbils unite! Fold for UnitedGerbilNation, team 2630.

FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:05 pm

danny e. wrote:
the real question that this all brings up is:
what the heck did everyone do befire imi started the original?

how did we survive.

its like an empty wallet.
its like a car with no engine.
its like a plane with no wings.

Preach on man...I too am whole again. :D

Hizpanick wrote:
I get the feeling that perhaps this son may always live in the shadow of its father.

QFT

idchafee wrote:
Feh. As the one who started the most pages in the old one, I should have gotten a spot on the first page.

You have my respect for such an enormous and noteworthy accomplishment. 8)

idchafee wrote:
Feh. As the one who started the most pages in the old one, I should have gotten a spot on the first page.

You can be the first one in the thread to post the next "Tale of Woe". Instead! :wink: I also missed out on the first page. :(

z-man wrote:
I don't live far. So if you two ever feel the need to be humbled let me know. :D

Nope, that's quite alright. After beating both Kim and I 24-0 I think it's clear that you are on a whole 'nother kinda beanbag plane of existence.

Yep, Gleek and I have "resolved our differences" LOL
He feels bad about what happened, and so do I.

(see I didn't talk about it) :)

Whew, I'm caught up. :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:16 pm

Flying Fox wrote:

You need to watch all of Season 5. Skip Crusade if you wish; it doesn't help understand B5 at all.

Ttocs
Gerbil Elite

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:24 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
There's a fix on the XiRCON site for that memory leak... I haven't installed it yet, though...

What IRC client do you use?

Right now, just mIRC... dont really have the time for exotic IRC clients anymore.

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:03 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

You need to watch all of Season 5. Skip Crusade if you wish; it doesn't help understand B5 at all.
Oddly enough I watched all 13 (then cancelled :evil:) episodes of Crusade just as they figured out the plague is actually AI-based collective intelligence, plus Call to Arms (I thought that one was good). Stupid Canadian TV not showing Season 5 and I missed the 3am reruns on Space (which I don't have, again, stupid cable add-ons).

Is the rest of Season 5 that good? Better than the Shadow Wars and the Revolution? To me I think Sheridan's speech ("We are coming home!") and the last attack on the Agamemnon ("All power to engines. Give me ramming speed.") are some of the most powerful performances in all of sci-fi that I have managed to see.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:24 pm

Pagey wrote:
Vrock wrote:
Funny...now that it's here I really don't have anything to say. :lol:

Vrock, I found a copy of Vice City at Wal-Mart this weekend for $10. I didn't realize until Saturday afternoon that Vrock was one of the radio stations on Vice City. Do I get the dumb award or what? :lol:

I didn't know that either, so if you get the dumb award then so do I. My nick come from an old boss of mine when I was in the Army. It's meant to be read as "V" rock.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:25 pm

bhtooefr wrote:
Vrock, were you posting for the sake of posting? :P

Maybe. This is the right place for that sort of thing, isn't it? :wink:

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:29 pm

idchafee wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Yes, this thread makes it much easier to mod the 'Porch. All I have to do is to start talking like Zathras does about the One and things get better.

Except that every time you talk about The One, I think Highlander

But not Highlander 2. Because as we all agreed on in DYMT: The Father, Highlander 2 is an abomination and to mention its existance to give life, and therefore legitimacy to its horribleness.

Dammit, look what I've done now! I'm so ashamed....

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:31 pm

Hoser wrote:
All the offending material was edited out, and gleek has been banned. For how long.....I don't know.

I for one am grateful for gleek...if not for he, I probably would've assumed title of "most banned T/R forum member". :lol:

Jive
Gerbil Jedi

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:45 pm

gbcrush wrote:
SNM wrote:
I think he just meant the posting rate. ;)

I could be totally wrong, but "he"...?

Yeah its a he. :oops:
Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:19 pm

Vrock wrote:
Hoser wrote:
All the offending material was edited out, and gleek has been banned. For how long.....I don't know.

I for one am grateful for gleek...if not for he, I probably would've assumed title of "most banned T/R forum member". :lol:

Keep it up sonny...there is life after banishment..or so im told :lol:
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:26 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Is the rest of Season 5 that good? Better than the Shadow Wars and the Revolution? To me I think Sheridan's speech ("We are coming home!") and the last attack on the Agamemnon ("All power to engines. Give me ramming speed.") are some of the most powerful performances in all of sci-fi that I have managed to see.

Yes. Lady Morella's prophecy of Londo, then Vir becoming Centauri Emperor comes to pass, and the unseen parts of "War Without End" from Season 3 are told. The final episode, "Sleeping in Light" is not to be missed. Season 5 wraps up all the open questions from the first 4 seasons. We see how the Telepath War starts and how Garibaldi meets his demon and conquers it. "Day of the Dead" is a great episode that fleshes out Lochley's character and brings back Morden in a believable way.

SNM
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:29 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
The final episode, "Sleeping in Light" is not to be missed.

I sobbed like a baby once I got towards the end of that episode. :o

And now that I've been reminded of which parts of the show were in season 5; yes, it's very much worth watching and does just fine when compared to the first 4.
Core i7 920, 3x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600, 80GB X25-M, 1TB WD Caviar Black, MSI X58 Pro-E, Radeon 4890, Cooler Master iGreen 600, Antec P183, opticals

Flying Fox
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:30 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Flying Fox wrote:

Yes. Lady Morella's prophecy of Londo, then Vir becoming Centauri Emperor comes to pass, and the unseen parts of "War Without End" from Season 3 are told. The final episode, "Sleeping in Light" is not to be missed. Season 5 wraps up all the open questions from the first 4 seasons. We see how the Telepath War starts and how Garibaldi meets his demon and conquers it. "Day of the Dead" is a great episode that fleshes out Lochley's character and brings back Morden in a believable way.

Thx. Hard to find someone who share the appreciation for B5.

BTW... Captain Elizabeth Lochley... Tracy Scoggins... mmm.... :)

/me goes off looking for DVDs...

Edit: I did see a few episodes after the million year look ahead episode. So I got to the point where the Telepath wars started. Never liked that Byron dude in terms of an injustice fighter or what not...

Edit 2: "unseen parts of "War Without End""? what part is not seen? I thought those 2 episodes were pretty complete...

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:26 pm

B5 was a great series to bad it was only 5 seasons they could have done so much more with it.

I read that the guy who played the doctor died.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:32 pm

Flying Fox wrote:
Edit 2: "unseen parts of "War Without End""? what part is not seen? I thought those 2 episodes were pretty complete...

Unseen was a bad word choice. It's more like fleshing out the scattered bits of Sheridan's and Delenn's future we see in "War Without End".

EDIT: The episode you refer to, "The Deconstruction of Falling Stars", borrows the main theme of the classic sci-fi novel "A Canticle for Leibowitz" in the segment that takes place after the Great Burn caused by Garibaldi's messing around in the computers.
Last edited by Captain Ned on Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:35 pm

tfp wrote:
B5 was a great series to bad it was only 5 seasons they could have done so much more with it.

I read that the guy who played the doctor died.

JMS wrote the show as a 5-season story arc. There's nothing to add or take away. It is complete as it stands.

Yes, Dr. Franklin (Richard Biggs) passed away in 2004 from a ruptured aortic aneurysm.

tfp
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:41 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
JMS wrote the show as a 5-season story arc. There's nothing to add or take away. It is complete as it stands.

Yeah I know, they do leave alot out because of the big jump of time at the end of the series. It is to bad they didn't do anything else in the B5 universe to fill those holes. There could have been a few different shows to spin off from that, that could have been very good if done right.

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:44 pm

Highlander 2.

That is all.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:45 pm

PerfectCr wrote:
Hahahah I like that. Although I am sure Kev wouldn't like being compared to a communist censor. :D

In this case the communist censor was me. Since there was no way to split the offending posts out of DYMT 1 as I would normally do, the group-think decision was to simply delete the posts. I have backup copies of the posts and can recreate them if needed. However, such a call will only come from Kevin or Damage, so don't ask for my copies.

cass
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:58 pm

I am lost.... Unfortunately I have to work for a living and missed out on the ten thousand hours of free time to watch Sci-fi TV. Capt Ned must be borg... all that time spent on sci fi and still modding 3000 posts/day in the real fur ball forums.

On a diff note I am now scratching head over C2D / Cheap X2's.

Temp was maxed at 85F here today.... we almost didn't sweat at all.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:26 pm

mattsteg wrote:
Highlander 2.

That is all.