Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: dymt reloaded

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:52 am

Glorious wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
Waiting for the first millennial to say, "I don't get it" in 3.....2....1.....

I'm a millennial, I get it. :)
Ditto. Apparently some parents failed at their jobs.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:06 am

You two are the exception to the rule based on your previous posts. Also I am shocked to hear that Glorious is a millennial! (maybe you have said it before and I missed it)

superjawes wrote:
Ditto. Apparently some parents failed at their jobs.

LOL
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:22 am

superjawes wrote:
Apparently some parents failed at their jobs.

My 17YO daughter took all of 3 seconds to get it. There are certain standards that must be passed to the next generation.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

superjawes

Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:40 am

If I may share a story...

I was kind of dating a girl in high school (I was a junior, she a senior), and after having dinner one night, we decide to watch a movie. Hearing that she has never seen one of my favorites, we turn on Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Very quickly, she gets stuck on the coconuts. Now I know that not everyone "gets" Monty Python, and for the most part, that's okay, but the next big question stopped be dead in my tracks.

"Who's the guy in the crown?"
"King Arthur."
"Who's that?"
"...King Arthur? The Once and Future King of England?"
"I don't know who that is."
"What?! You've NEVER heard of King Arthur? You've never even seen Disney's Sword in the Stone?"
"Nope."

We stopped dating shortly after that.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:14 am

/Facepalm

How in the world......really I am reading King Arther: Tales of the round table to my 3yr old. Maybe its a boy thing?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:22 am

tanker27 wrote:
Maybe its a boy thing?

Probably more of a BDU/ACU thing. Further down this path lies R&P (I think).

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:31 am

I'm not a big Kickstarter person but I do like Whiskey so this is interesting.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:37 am

tanker27 wrote:
Also I am shocked to hear that Glorious is a millennial! (maybe you have said it before and I missed it)

Yeah, I know, right? Given the tone of many of his posts (R&P especially) you get this mental image of a cranky old dude sitting on his front porch yelling at the kids to get off his lawn!

I believe it was mentioned at some point in the past, but he doesn't make a regular habit of pointing it out. I remember being rather surprised to learn that I'm old enough to be his dad. (Maybe *I* should be the one sitting on the porch yelling at the kids -- is that a metaphor for being a forum admin? :lol:)
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:40 am

just brew it! wrote:
(Maybe *I* should be the one sitting on the porch yelling at the kids -- is that a metaphor for being a forum admin? :lol:)

If you have to ask ...

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:45 am

just brew it! wrote:
tanker27 wrote:
Also I am shocked to hear that Glorious is a millennial! (maybe you have said it before and I missed it)

Yeah, I know, right? Given the tone of many of his posts (R&P especially) you get this mental image of a cranky old dude sitting on his front porch yelling at the kids to get off his lawn!

Well to be totally honest, from my perspective is shines a whole new light on his posts.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:33 pm

If millennials are born from 1981-1996 or 1998 (which seems to be what Google thinks, at least), then some millennials are really not that much younger than me. Seems like a wide swath of people, but I rarely understand generational groupings.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:35 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
If millennials are born from 1981-1996 or 1998 (which seems to be what Google thinks, at least), then some millennials are really not that much younger than me. Seems like a wide swath of people, but I rarely understand generational groupings.

I'm technically a Baby Boomer (1964) but aside from the music I like I have nothing at all in common with them.

Redocbew

Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:47 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

They're not that much younger than me either, but the word still makes me cringe when I hear it.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:15 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:

I'm technically a Baby Boomer (1964) but aside from the music I like I have nothing at all in common with them.

Tie-dye shirts. :wink:

superjawes

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:19 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:

I think generations have more to do with world events rather than specific years. That generally determines what sort of things one is exposed to growing up and how one's worldwiew is shaped.

For example, millenials would have lived through the 90s economic boom, seen the rise of the internet's widespread availability, been in school on September 11, 2001, seen the rise of smart phones, and were just exiting college after the 2007/8 economic collapse (so they/we are all affected by the aftermath). I also read an article once that talked about how the 50s didn't really end until Kennedy's assassination in 1963, which makes perfect sense culturally.

These events change the collective consciousness, therefore, they change what it means to be part of a generation.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:28 pm

superjawes wrote:
For example, millenials would have lived through the 90s economic boom, seen the rise of the internet's widespread availability, been in school on September 11, 2001, seen the rise of smart phones, and were just exiting college after the 2007/8 economic collapse (so they/we are all affected by the aftermath).

If that's the case, then they need to more narrowly define generations. Plenty of millennials are still in college and some are still in high school.

I think I get what you're saying, but it's still weird to me the way they try to do that. I was in college sitting in class when we were told to go home, the campus was closing on 9/11. In a lot of ways I have more in common with people 3-5 years younger than me than I do with those 3-5 years older.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

superjawes

Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:00 pm

Well yeah, but that's partially a problem of defining generations by year, and being on the edge of any generation is going to create a different set of collective experiences. I have no doubt that my siblings (born '93 and '98) will probably have some perspectives that I do not share, even though two of us are "technically" millenials. And all three of us will probably have some perspectives that don't mesh with the ['97-???] generation that the youngest technically belongs to.

Personally, I think it probably makes more sense to pick several major events and define "generations" by one's birth in relation to them. For example, you (derFunk) probably remember the Bush 41 presidency and Desert Storm. I do not. The earliest presidential event I remember was probably Clinton's re-election. Just by presidencies, these will shape how we judge future presidents and political climates (speaking in general terms to avoid R&P :wink: ).

For a more fun example, pick major films. Imagine how Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Transformers shape how people view films...

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:36 pm

superjawes wrote:
For a more fun example, pick major films. Imagine how Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Transformers shape how people view films...

Sorry, but the defining moment for my age cohort is very simple:

"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

At the precocious age of 5 I could bore entire roomfuls of adults with a dissertation on all things Saturn & Apollo. I simply could not get enough.

superjawes

Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:40 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
superjawes wrote:

Sorry, but the defining moment for my age cohort is very simple:

"Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

I thought about mentioning that, but I didn't want to put you on the spot :wink:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:55 pm

superjawes wrote:
I thought about mentioning that, but I didn't want to put you on the spot :wink:

That and 9/11 are about [/handwave] the only two "rocked the world" or "where were you when ..." moments I can remember. The next closest would be the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 with no reaction from the East German border police. I know that many younger than I look to Challenger and Columbia but as a child of Apollo I somehow always knew that we would have those dark days so, for me, it was not world-shattering.

True story: When Challenger blew up I had recently moved to Burlington, VT and was working as a manager/delivery driver for a local chicken wing shop. I started at 4PM and got off at 2AM so my body clock was completely screwed. I awoke one morning to the sound of my telephone (a real one, an old dial job) bouncing off the table. I staggered over to pick it up to hear my sister, then a student at the University of Vermont just up the hill, yelling at me to turn on the TV and something about an explosion. I turned it on, saw the coverage, saw the slo-mo, saw it again, and figured that there would be a large and ugly public accounting, so I went back to sleep. I had to work that night and even at midnight or later clusters of students (gee, wing deliveries scale heavy to college students?) were still watching the same tape loop over and over again even though the talking heads had not had anything to add to the discussion since about 30 minutes after it happened. Having seen the same thing on every TV I'd delivered to that night my inner sardonic mode took over and I said to one group in front of a TV "I bet it blows up NOW". Given how many times I'd seen it to that point I was within milliseconds.

I didn't get a tip from that crowd.

As for Columbia the wife & I woke up that Saturday after a good sleep. We turned on the TV and were instantly shown video of reentry debris. My entire comment was "well, we've lost another one" and rolled over until I could smell the bacon.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHMmMgdcOSU#t=37

Antares launch from Wallops has a bit of premature BOOM. Looks like the wreckage fell back on the pad, which is never good.

superjawes

Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:17 pm

Wow...accidentally topical post? I know falling on the pad is bad, but at least no one was hurt.

I'm too young to remember Challenger, but I did spend several years as an elementary student wanting to be an astronaut, so I followed a bunch of space stuff. I saw a Columbia launch in 1998 (I think), and I do remember hearing the news of its demise...

...anyway, the one thing I would add for major changes in my lifetime is the election of a black American president. Whatever your R&P stances are, that's a big deal, and I'd bet good money that I'll also live to see the first female American President. It might not change the collective consciousness in the same way as the moon landing and 9/11 did, but it will matter, and it will be very, very important for the children who grow up with these heroes in mind.

This got a little to serious, so I'll bring up one of the next major film developments: Marvel's Phase 3. Avengers: Infinity War in two parts, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Inhumans, and sequel names for Captain America and Thor. I may have had the Star Wars prequels in my lifetime, but I don't think any cinematic event will top what Marvel has done over the past decade, and what they will do for who knows how many years more.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:12 pm

That's a pretty epic fail! At least nobody was hurt.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 am

I just noticed on my iPhone that the clock app button actually tells time. The second hand moves! Did it always do that and just never noticed?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:18 am

just brew it! wrote:

Which is surprising when you look at how much stuff is so close to the pad compared to Canaveral. Seems to me that Antares is pushing the limits of what's safe to launch from Wallops.

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:07 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Dear web designers,

If your site automatically starts playing anything with audio when opened, without an immediately obvious (i.e. IN MY FACE when the page loads) button to shut it off, or at least mute the audio, I will be highly disinclined to visit your site in the future. TBH, I'd prefer that media not auto-play AT ALL, even if there IS an obvious way to turn it off.

Automatic streaming of media content without the user opting in is also extremely rude to any users who are surfing through a mobile device with a data cap.

As an added incentive, you'll use less bandwidth on your servers as well. Hmm... not pissing off your users, AND reducing your hosting costs... sounds like a win-win to me!

That is all.

Same here. At least chrome puts a music note in the offending tab so I can figure out which one to nuke.

BIF

Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:43 am

superjawes wrote:
...I don't think any cinematic event will top what Marvel has done over the past decade, and what they will do for who knows how many years more.

Marvel has done well in the movies so far, but they constantly run the risk of falling into their old paper comic trap, which was stupid cacophonous lunacy and disconnected storytelling. I grew up with Marvel and DC comics and I usually stopped buying when they started getting too crazy with space alien armies dressed in too many colors, some badguy moving the Earth out of its orbit (yet we somehow put it all back okay at the end), storylines that span too many comics and lose their effectiveness because too many artists and writers are doing badly disconnected bits and pieces in different titles trying to maintain some weak semblance of an overall story arc all while stretching a bad story way too long.

DC had its own bad days, what with "Batmite" (I cringe to think of it), but coming off the Avengers and Thor 2 storylines, Marvel is more dangerously close to falling into this trap, and I hope they nip it in the bud.

Avengers 2 should keep it on Terra Firma. No time-travel, no vortexes, no alien robotic beast-armies from the sky, no effeminate Loki-dominated storyline. Bring it home and tell a good story ON EARTH, and lose the immortal bad guys for a change. Hulk should actually kill somebody who's really evil. For a good storyline, let's have Doctor Banner be strangely okay with it, because the dude was um... "really evil".

Oh, and while I'm ranting, DC needs to fix the Batman franchise and keep those lazy drunk Hollywood writers away from it. Okay, maybe they're not drunk all the time, but they sure are LAZY. The last 2 Batman movies basically neutered the character.

He flees the cops and hides his gimpy ass in the dark for 8 years, then miraculously comes back with virtually no muscle atrophy but is still virtually useless in a fight due to a bum knee that he never did anything about, lets himself get b-slapped and thrown into a hole, has to climb out of the hole only to let his girlfriend be the one to use lethal force in a situation that really did call for it anyway. Finally he follows Alfred's wimpy wish to quit and go live in Paris? Some Hollywood fake Alfred might suggest it and some Hollywood fake Batman might do it, but these are not the characters who should be portrayed. Catwoman is the only truly interesting character here. She should steal his Rolex, pawn it for airfare back to Gotham, and leave his beta-male ass with a huge hotel bill.

Yeah. I could fix everything wrong with these movies! :lol: 8)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:32 am

I dont know. I think the MCU is doing a fantastic job and has a great plan laid out. With the announcement of all Phase 3 movies you can see where all of it is headed.

· Captain America: Civil War (May 6, 2016)

· Doctor Strange (November 4, 2016)

· Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (May 5, 2017)

· Thor: Ragnarok (July 28, 2017)

· Black Panther (November 3, 2017)

· Avengers: Infinity War – Part I (May 4, 2018)

· Captain Marvel (July 6, 2018)

· Inhumans (November 2, 2018)

· Avengers: Infinity War – Part II (May 3, 2019)

As you can see a lot of intertwining story lines here. Civil War & Infinity War being the most notable. But a lot of character intros to boot. Doctor Strange being the most notable. Most certainly Captain America will die. (Evans' contract only calls for 6 movies and he has voiced his desire to do something else)

I am most excited about Captain Marvel which has already been announced that it will be the Carol Danvers story and not Mar-Vell (whom was sold to DC and turned into Shazam).

I am just sad that it will be another two years before we see Guardians of the Galaxy again. The MEU did such a great job with the first movie it makes me want more. At least when the Blu-Ray is released it will get heavy play in that time.

We also see the bridging of Agents of Shield TV show with the Inhumans movie (I dont know if AoS will survive until 2018 but we shall see), it almost screams out that Skye is most definitely an Inhuman. (While the acting on AoS has been hit or miss it's been good thus far.) I am happy to see AoS also debut superheros too. This seasons introduction of Bobbi Morse AKA Mockingbird was phenomenal.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:41 am

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Which is surprising when you look at how much stuff is so close to the pad compared to Canaveral. Seems to me that Antares is pushing the limits of what's safe to launch from Wallops.

Heh... so they're using refurbished Cold War era (I read somewhere that it was ~40 years old) Soviet rocket engines for these launches? It was probably inevitable that they'd have issues, and sooner rather than later. Sounds like the Russians are selling us their old junk and keeping the good stuff for themselves.

superjawes

Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:57 am

Well if Chris Evans does leave and they decide to kill Steve Rogers, the timing works for Joss Whedon to get the kill in Infinity War - Part 1. Frankly, I'm more interested in what happens after Infinity War. Phase 2 was mostly a continuation of existing characters (Cap, Iron Man, and Thor), but with Guardians of the Galaxy, we're starting to get into stories that aren't necessarily going to loop back into the Avengers movies, and we'll really have a Marvel Cinematic Universe as opposed to a "Build up to Avengers" one.

Oh, and on the topic of Soviet rockets, of course Russia is keeping the good stuff to themselves. They're actually launching manned missions, and that includes American astronauts. As far as I'm concerned, they can keep the good stuff, at least for now.