Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Re: dymt reloaded

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:17 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Outside of the Jaguar reference, a "jag" back in the 1940's meant a booze or drugs bender.
Huh. I really thought there was a word like "jag" that meant something similar to "old wives' tale". I guess I made that up. (゚、 。`フ

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:27 pm

auxy wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Outside of the Jaguar reference, a "jag" back in the 1940's meant a booze or drugs bender.
Huh. I really thought there was a word like "jag" that meant something similar to "old wives' tale". I guess I made that up. (゚、 。`フ

No probs. Language is so plastic and flexible that definitions from the top just don't work as universals. In fact, I'm not sure if there are any definites when it comes to language.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:08 pm

Just to add on to what Auxy said, I didn't meant to say cardio by itself is all bad, that's not the case. In fact, often times for the very obese it's a necessity over conventional weight lifting because folks of this size do not have the flexibility, strength, or coordination to life at all without risking injury. Most people who are well over 300+ lbs should begin walking and dieting as a first step to losing weight. My weight regimen is designed by me, for me, and the combination of 4+ years of experience figuring out what is most effective for my goals.

TL;DR Exercise in any form is a good thing. There may be more efficient ways to your goals and YMMV. Diet = weight. Working out = body composition. Learn your TDEE, adjust calories for your goal, and get under a bar :D

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:42 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
For anyone that lifts regularly, lifting is not only cardio, it's better than cardio with respect to fat burn over a 24 hour period. When you're done running you're done burning. Healthy is a relative term really. I like aesthetics, size, and numbers. I want it all :D

I wasn't saying to focus solely on running. (I didn't even say running, just cardio) I wasn't saying quit lifting and start running alone. Nor was I saying that he needs to focus solely on weight loss. Eating right and cardio are a huge part to being healthy. You can lift all you want and get as huge as you want, but to me, that alone doesn't make you healthy.

You guys known these things, I think.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:55 pm

DancinJack wrote:
I wasn't saying to focus solely on running. (I didn't even say running, just cardio) I wasn't saying quit lifting and start running alone. Nor was I saying that he needs to focus solely on weight loss.
This is actually a huge pet peeve of mine. People these days very frequently reply to their own inferred implication of what someone said rather than what was actually said. You can do this to some degree in person, because you have body language and other things on which you can base an inference, but doing it online is just a huge problem and I really wish everyone everywhere would stop it. If I say I like Samsung phones, that doesn't mean I think they're the best, that doesn't mean I hate Apple, and it doesn't mean I think Koreans are the master race; it doesn't mean ANYTHING besides "I like Samsung phones."

We said lifting for weight loss is more effective than cardio for weight loss. He was using running as an example of an intense cardio activity. Nobody said or was implying anything else. Stop it.

DancinJack wrote:
Eating right and cardio are a huge part to being healthy. You can lift all you want and get as huge as you want, but to me, that alone doesn't make you healthy.
Lifting is cardio. If you mean aerobic exercise, then there's a different argument. If you're lifting properly though, that's all the cardio you need.

DancinJack wrote:
You guys known these things, I think.
Then why say anything?

just brew it!
Administrator

Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:11 pm

annabel wrote:
That's me officially living in New Zealand now! Where do the Kiwi gerbils hide?

Cool! I know there are a few Aussie forum regulars, but you might be the first in NZ.

Keep us posted, I'm curious about what it's like to live there.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:06 pm

You're just trying to pick a fight auxy, jeez. No need to get your panties in a bunch.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:20 pm

DancinJack wrote:
You're just trying to pick a fight auxy, jeez. No need to get your panties in a bunch.
Noo! I'm not trying to pick a fight! Geez! How come every thread and comment thread I post in always turns into a fight! щ(ºДºщ)

This is why I left (well, got banned from) the LAST forum I was hanging out in! I'm not trying to be inflammatory or anything! I don't know what I'm doing wrong! (╥﹏╥)
Last edited by auxy on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Still haven't recovered enough to lift again :-? Starting physical therapy next week for the back. Bah. I miss deadlifting. And pressing. I can barely even pick up Sam without spasming though.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:26 am

just brew it! wrote:
Cool! I know there are a few Aussie forum regulars, but you might be the first in NZ.

Thanks brewy <3

It's pretty amazing so far :)
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!
server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

monts
Gerbil Jedi
Location: Western Australia (Gods Own Country for those uncertain)

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:17 am

annabel wrote:
just brew it! wrote:

Thanks brewy <3

It's pretty amazing so far :)

That's good to hear. Which island are you on? Would be starting to get a bit chilly now. We're in the last stages of warmth here, got to about 33C today which is pretty warm for April here. Looking forward to bit of coolness as I'm getting sick of the warmth now.
iMac 27” | MacBook Air.
Cricket and AFL (Fremantle Dockers) tragic.

annabel
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:53 am

That's good to hear. Which island are you on? Would be starting to get a bit chilly now. We're in the last stages of warmth here, got to about 33C today which is pretty warm for April here. Looking forward to bit of coolness as I'm getting sick of the warmth now.

North island, been in Auckland for a few days and now settling into Wellington. It's still a heck of a lot hotter than Scotland was! I'm looking forward to autumn and winter too, it's too blooming hot :)
Are you a talkative member of TR? Would you like to converse with fellow TR members? Then this is just the thing for you!

server: irc.freenode.org channel: #techreport

notfred
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 pm

Today's "What If" http://what-if.xkcd.com/40/ mentions FOOF and links to the article on "Things I Won't Work With":
http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/20 ... uoride.php

This led to much wasted time as the whole stream of "Things I Won't Work With" is absolutely hilarious for anyone who has any chemistry background:
http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/th ... work_with/

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:10 pm

notfred wrote:
Today's "What If" http://what-if.xkcd.com/40/ mentions FOOF and links to the article on "Things I Won't Work With":
http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/20 ... uoride.php

This led to much wasted time as the whole stream of "Things I Won't Work With" is absolutely hilarious for anyone who has any chemistry background:
http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/th ... work_with/

You'd probably love to read "Ignition" by John Clark. Tells his stories of liquid propellant rocket work starting in the early days. Easily found in PDF by Googling. Derek Lowe refers to the book in his post about Chlorine Trifluoride, right up there with FOOF in the nastiness department.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:12 pm

OH man. 1/2 oz Fireball with 3-4 oz Jack Daniels honey whiskey is pure awesome.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Posts like these -- along with my girlfriend being a bartender -- make me wish I could drink alcohol. (╥﹏╥)

Ryu Connor
Global Moderator

Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:19 am

auxy wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:
Posts like these -- along with my girlfriend being a bartender -- make me wish I could drink alcohol. (╥﹏╥)

Just go lick some wood, roughly the same taste as whiskey and doesn't have an age limit.
All of my written content here on TR does not represent or reflect the views of my employer or any reasonable human being. All content and actions are my own.

auxy
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Ryu Connor wrote:
Just go lick some wood, roughly the same taste as whiskey and doesn't have an age limit.
N-no, errm, I'll be 23 next month. It's not an age thing; I'm terribly prone to alcohol flush reaction or "asian blush", my low body weight makes me extremely sensitive to the stuff, and I have poor self-control. As a result of those three, er, "conditions", I avoid it like the plague.

I really enjoy the taste though, especially of some of the fruitier drinks my girlfriend mixes up. I suppose that's weird, to enjoy the taste of alcohol, but I also love the smell of gasoline and adore the scent of body odor, so I think I just have a weird sniffer. Hehe.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:27 am

I only drink the stuff that taste good so I don't think it's odd.

just brew it!
Administrator

Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:45 am

auxy wrote:
It's not an age thing; I'm terribly prone to alcohol flush reaction or "asian blush",

Looks like the rate of incidence is high enough that I'm pretty lucky to not be affected.

auxy wrote:
I really enjoy the taste though, especially of some of the fruitier drinks my girlfriend mixes up. I suppose that's weird, to enjoy the taste of alcohol, but I also love the smell of gasoline and adore the scent of body odor, so I think I just have a weird sniffer. Hehe.

If you've got a really *sensitive* nose you'd probably make a very good beer judge (if not for the adverse reaction). :wink:

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:05 am

Weird that you enjoy the taste of alcohol?

I've never heard that one.

AMD64Blondie
Gerbil First Class

Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:10 am

Just found (off of youtube) the complete series of The Magic School Bus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh9SHUh42GY
is the first episode.(The rest are linked from there).
You could also buy it off of Amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Magic-School- ... school+bus

$43.92 before shipping costs.(I would buy the DVDs,I just don't have the money to spare right now.)

Oh god,the happy memories. I used to watch this live on TV back in middle school. It's a trip down memory lane.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:38 am

They let me go back to work today (I live in Boston - work downtown). LOTS of law enforcement still around. It's about a 4-5 minute walk from the train to my office and I saw ~20 cops, 5 uniformed soldiers, and ~5 FBI agents. Crazy.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Glad to hear you're OK Jack!

OMG have to pee so bad.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:07 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Glad to hear you're OK Jack!

OMG have to pee so bad.

The piss must flow...

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:47 am

I was in a conference call and momentarily lost focus. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:51 am

@ Auxy I used to train ninjutsu and for the new year we came together for saki and what not to toast and celebrate our progress. The one guy (asian) had a single shot and within a minute looked completely wasted, and was SO red-faced. Funny dude. Also, unfiltered saki has a gross texture and taste IMO. Not a fan of saki in general. I rarely drink these days. If I do, Chimay Blue please.

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:49 am

steelcity_ballin wrote:
@ Auxy I used to train ninjutsu and for the new year we came together for saki and what not to toast and celebrate our progress. The one guy (asian) had a single shot and within a minute looked completely wasted, and was SO red-faced. Funny dude. Also, unfiltered saki has a gross texture and taste IMO. Not a fan of saki in general. I rarely drink these days. If I do, Chimay Blue please.

Eh? Unfiltered sake is excellent -- I think it has a smoother taste and finish compared to the clear stuff.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:57 am

One of the guys in the homebrew club also used to make sake (among many, many other fermented beverages). I used to joke that his middle name was "Will Ferment Anything". The time I tried his sake, it was kind of like what I imagine drinking jet fuel would be like... :lol:

In other alcohol-related news, the new home brewing bill just passed the Illinois House. So (assuming it passes in the Senate as well next week) homebrew club meetings and homebrew competitions won't be technically illegal any more. Didn't even realize that they *were* illegal until about a year ago! (Apparently, per the existing law it is not kosher to transport homemade alcohol outside of your home or serve it to anyone who isn't a member of your family or household guest...)

In non-alcohol related news, we got like 5 inches of rain overnight. Took me half an hour to get out of my subdivision this AM due to all the standing water; water was even shooting up out of a lot of the storm drains! The office is half empty due to people not being able to get here or staying home to deal with flooded basements. We're supposed to get another couple of inches this afternooon/evening. Whee!

Edit: So in a way, I guess it is a blessing that my sump pumps both failed a couple of weeks ago instead of yesterday...

bhtooefr
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:09 pm

Huh. Tried the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale last night. Damn interesting beer (I still don't think I found all the flavors hiding in it), although it didn't pair well with the cuban I ate (and usually I'm not one to care about how well my beverage is paired to my food). I suspect it actually works better alone, rather than with food at all.

In other news, apparently a Dell CS24-SC with dual Xeon L5420 (think 2.5 GHz, 50 watt Core 2 Quads) with 16 GiB RAM is sitting on my doorstep. I think that'll be SLIGHTLY faster than my current server (an old Dimension 2100 with a 1.1 GHz Coppermine Celeron, 384 MiB of PC133, and drives stuffed in places that drives shouldn't go - damn thing just won't die, but it's really reached the end of its useful life with what all I'm doing with it now). Quite overkill, really, but it was $190 shipped, and I just need to add drives.

Now I just need to decide what OS I want to run... I could go for Ubuntu Server 12.04 to simplify the migration (my current box running Ubuntu Server 10.04), but I'd kinda like to switch to something with good ZFS support, which means FreeBSD (granted, I could get FreeBSD with a Debian GNU userland) or Solaris/Illumos.