Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Re: dymt reloaded

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:14 am

The installer/downloader has the option of building an ISO for you to burn, as well, so it should give DancinJack what he needs.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:54 am

Yeah, I am doing the install via USB and the link ludi gave was more or less painless. I did not see an option to do an ISO. Maybe I have to select dvd? Either way, I think I got what I needed. Building/installing tomorrow!
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:19 pm

The ISO option is on the same screen where you say install now, or whatever. I haven't done it in a while - I have a USB, and had to make an ISO for something. Good that you got what you needed tho.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:01 pm

So I see CNN is having Anderson Cooper & Kathy Griffin host their New Years broadcast again this year. They must figure the ratings boost from people tuning in to see what sort of anti-PC stunt Griffin will pull this year outweighs any potential fallout. And hey, I guess she's pretty hot (in a MILF sort of way) so who am I to argue.

Can a woman qualify as a MILF if she doesn't have children? Are we even allowed to say "MILF" on the BP? Inquiring minds want to know... and as the forum admin I guess I really should know the answer to that last one. Damn, I might need to ban myself!

Here's wishing a Happy New Year to the denizens of DYMT-R, the BP, the TR forums, and all geek/nerd-dom in general! :D
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:30 am

You can say MILF all you want, and your taste is your taste, but Kathy Griffin?

We turned off the Netflix around 11:45 and flipped to NBC to see Ken Marino completely **** faced. I think he'd been cut off because he was picking up other peoples' champaign. That was high comedy.

Happy New year to all the DYMT-R crowd!

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:38 am

Hey, so I have a thing for redheads... :lol:

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:18 pm

Would you like to rephrase that last statement?

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:40 pm

Yeah, I figured someone would go there. :lol:

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:07 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Hey, so I have a thing for redheads... :lol:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Morgan+Smith+Goodwin
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

just brew it!
Administrator

Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:28 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

Yow!

She'd be a "Standard Creepiness Rule" violation though... :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:20 pm

just brew it! wrote:

For me as well.

On another note, just returned from a long road trip to Topsail Beach, NC to meet up with friends for New Year's. Host was saying the weather sucked even though it was mid-50s and sunny. No complaints from the northern half of the crowd. Stayed at the other northern couple's place on the way down and back (location unnamed for reasons to be apparent, but suburban NJ) where he told me that his neighbor at the end of his block is NY Fed Chairman William Dudley. And no, it's nowhere near that swanky a block, or town. Wife & daughter were as unimpressed with the driving portion as I would have been with the flying portion. Packing fractions meant their 16-YO son was in the back of our car (wife's Forester); a cigarette socket dongle with 5 USB ports and a total of 8 amps of available USB current ensured silence on the NJ/NC/NJ portion of the trip.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Redocbew
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:26 pm

just brew it! wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

Yow!

Not for me...

Oh wait. Damn you Dave.
Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and you won't hear them coming.

idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness

Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:26 pm

Kathy Griffin?
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:20 am

Ahhh back to the grind after 19 days off. Did I miss anything around here?
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:52 am

You missed that apparently jbi has a thing for Kathy Griffin.

btw - I saw a commercial yesterday that she's going to be on Letterman tonight, so everyone tune into CBS, or something.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:00 am

Not a good morning. First, had to shovel snow in sub-zero cold before I could leave for work. Got 2 blocks, and the right front tire went flat. Bottom of car crusted with frozen slush, had to chip away at it to find the jack point. Lug nuts rusted on, had to spray with WD-40 and let sit to get them loose. Finally got spare tire on, it's (nearly) flat too. Power plug (for the cigarette lighter jack) on my air pump is busted. So now I am back at home repairing the power plug on the air pump, and wondering where the heck I put my roll of electrical tape. :roll:

Decided to take a short break from hunting for the electrical tape to vent here.

Needless to say, I will be rather late to work today...

They say that bad things come in threes. Today feels more like, when sh*t happens, you get a massive dump! :evil:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:53 pm

For the sake of Next Time, get a couple cans of fix-a-flat air from the hardware store and throw them in the trunk. One or two of them will get the average passenger car tire up and running well enough to limp home (unless it's ripped wide open, of course).
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

The Egg

Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:40 pm

ludi wrote:
For the sake of Next Time, get a couple cans of fix-a-flat air from the hardware store and throw them in the trunk. One or two of them will get the average passenger car tire up and running well enough to limp home (unless it's ripped wide open, of course).

I keep a can in the car myself, but I've heard that it can ruin wheels and generally makes tires unpatchable. It's also possible that the guys at the tire place make up stories because they hate dealing with the stuff. :P

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:15 pm

I can verify that it makes tires "unpatchable" - Firestone refused to patch a tire because I'd used it. If you want to plug the tire yourself, though...

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:17 pm

The Egg wrote:
ludi wrote:

I keep a can in the car myself, but I've heard that it can ruin wheels and generally makes tires unpatchable. It's also possible that the guys at the tire place make up stories because they hate dealing with the stuff. :P

Yeah, last time I used that stuff it didn't seal completely, *and* the tire place wouldn't deal with it afterwards (they said "Fix-A-Flat" is an automatic "you have to replace the tire").

This time it wouldn't have helped with the original flat (it was off the rim). I'm guessing the spare was only flat because it had been sitting too long. This is a borrowed car (see my previous posts about my car wreck if you want to know why), which has been sitting in my father's garage for most of the past 12 years. Kicking myself for not checking the spare before I needed it. And for not repairing/replacing the air pump sooner.

The one small positive surprise in a day of bad surprises is that the spare is full-size.

Speaking of which, what's the expected lifetime of tires that are on a vehicle sitting in a garage? I expect these tires are all going on 13 years old. Should I be concerned? Was today's flat tire a sign of things to come?

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:22 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Speaking of which, what's the expected lifetime of tires that are on a vehicle sitting in a garage? I expect these tires are all going on 13 years old. Should I be concerned? Was today's flat tire a sign of things to come?

Life has come and gone for those. I'd expect all of them to show sidewall cracking from dry rot.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:49 pm

It's alive!!!

The stereo rig, that is. The used NAD C272 arrived and I put it in just now. She'd clearly been sitting for a bit as every switch needed much swiping to remove dust, but all is good now. Finally have tunes back in the house.

The Egg

Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:55 am

Roughly a year ago, I started noticing an obnoxious trend in speech patterns: People starting nearly every conversation with "So....."

Start listening and you won't won't be able to un-hear it. It's this generation's "like".

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:01 am

So, what you're saying is ...

The Egg

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:09 am

So I did this, sooo Mike said this to me today, so I went to the store. So my phone started acting up, so last night I slipped in the shower and farted on my way down.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:17 am

I think the "Yeah, no..." thing is worse.

The Egg

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:34 am

just brew it! wrote:
I think the "Yeah, no..." thing is worse.

That one hasn't really stood out to me yet; at least coming from anyone over the age of 25. The "so....." epidemic seems to be affecting folks well into their 40's. It makes them sound unsure of themselves and amateur, and once you notice it, it will become annoying. I've even noticed folks in the forums starting posts in this way on several occasions.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:39 am

Both of them are terrible and I'd like whoever first spoke them to go to sleep and not wake up. "So I went to the store thinking they'd have plenty of food for me to buy. Yeah, no...the plebs beat me to it all before the impending snow."

The Egg wrote:
so last night I slipped in the shower and farted on my way down.

That's way funnier than it had any right to be. :lol:

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:13 am

The Egg wrote:
That one hasn't really stood out to me yet; at least coming from anyone over the age of 25. The "so....." epidemic seems to be affecting folks well into their 40's. It makes them sound unsure of themselves and amateur, and once you notice it, it will become annoying. I've even noticed folks in the forums starting posts in this way on several occasions.

I've probably done it a few times. :oops:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:30 pm

JBI, did you have a chance to look over those tires for sidewall cracking?

The first place they start to show is in about a 3/4-inch band up from the tire bead, and another 3/4-inch band next to the edge of the tread. That means the tire is safe but starting to dry out, according to my local shop. It's starting to happen on my wife's Camry even though tread depth is still very good. In related news, don't pay for high-mileage rated tires if you drive the car less than 15k/year I guess.

Any cracking throughout the center of the sidewall, and you're risking a high-speed blowout (and probably have reduced grip due to hardening of the tread compound).
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration