Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

superjawes
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Re: dymt reloaded

Mon May 06, 2013 10:25 am

Anyone know good places/ways to look for rental homes? The girlfriend looks like she'll be moving up to Chicagoland fairly soon, and we would like a bigger place.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Mon May 06, 2013 10:37 am

A week into telecommuting and so far it's not bad. I'm doing the same thing at roughly the same time each day, I just shaved 25 minutes off of my commute.

idchafee wrote:
I've got to fill 40 minutes at the Jr High's career day about my job. They say I can do pro's and con's. Why is it that my con list is so much longer than my pro list?

You can shorten your con list by not listing any of the people that will be in the room. ;)
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue May 07, 2013 9:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE

It's really happening. I know it's been talked about for a decade or so but with this trailer it's really happening. I so fear that they're going to make a senseless mess of this.

Next up (calling Peter Jackson) on my dream SF novel(s)-to-movies list is Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos. Make it so.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 07, 2013 9:49 pm

idchafee wrote:
I've got to fill 40 minutes at the Jr High's career day about my job. They say I can do pro's and con's. Why is it that my con list is so much longer than my pro list?

I can sympathize. The business unit I work for was sold at the end of last year, and the assimilation into the new corporate overlords' organization (which we're only now really starting to address in earnest) is shaping up to be a flustercuck. Pros: The benefits got a little better. Cons: So far, pretty much everything else.

At least I've still got a job... in retrospect, it wasn't a bad place to ride out the worst of the recession.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue May 07, 2013 9:59 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Cons: So far, pretty much everything else.

PC Load Letter, and bring your bat.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 07, 2013 10:22 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Cons: So far, pretty much everything else.

PC Load Letter, and bring your bat.

There's actually a half-dead HP printer/scanner sitting on the table in my office. Someone deposited it there last week, in keeping with our (my officemate and me) unofficial role as the keepers (and occasional repairers) of all such things. I don't have a baseball bat at the office, but I could probably smash it with a dead UPS battery pack or something. Unfortunately the windows don't open, so chucking it out my 6th floor window into the parking lot below isn't an option.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue May 07, 2013 10:26 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Unfortunately the windows don't open, so chucking it out my 6th floor window into the parking lot below isn't an option.

Go big. Find the guy with the keys to the roof hatch and perform a proper roof-flinging.

just brew it!
Administrator

Tue May 07, 2013 10:34 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
just brew it! wrote:
Unfortunately the windows don't open, so chucking it out my 6th floor window into the parking lot below isn't an option.

Go big. Find the guy with the keys to the roof hatch and perform a proper roof-flinging.

Heh. Last I checked (which was a few years ago), the door to the roof did not have a lock on it. I imagine they've probably corrected this since then... but then again, maybe not! I do know the owner of the business that has the microwave dishes up on the roof, so even if it is locked now I guess I know someone who has keys... :lol:

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue May 07, 2013 10:44 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Heh. Last I checked (which was a few years ago), the door to the roof did not have a lock on it. I imagine they've probably corrected this since then... but then again, maybe not! I do know the owner of the business that has the microwave dishes up on the roof, so even if it is locked now I guess I know someone who has keys... :lol:

One of my favorite things about the Letterman show of the early '80s was the "chuck it off the 5-story building" gag. Never forgot the 5lb bag of flour (likely with some liquid hydrocarbon marinade) that he lit one corner of, threw it over the edge, and damn near lost his face in the resulting dust explosion.

As for your situation, everyone's life is enhanced by a recalcitrant printer sailing 100+ feet to the ground in a paroxysm of destruction.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed May 08, 2013 8:26 am

One of my happier memories is unloading a clip from an M-1 Garand into an old laserjet in some arroyo in NM with my grandfather :lol:
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

DancinJack
Maximum Gerbil

Wed May 08, 2013 8:37 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
One of my happier memories is unloading a clip from an M-1 Garand into an old laserjet in some arroyo in NM with my grandfather :lol:

As is it should be. That sounds awesome.
i7 6700K - Z170 - 16GiB DDR4 - GTX 1080 - 512GB SSD - 256GB SSD - 500GB SSD - 3TB HDD- 27" IPS G-sync - Win10 Pro x64 - Ubuntu/Mint x64 :: 2015 13" rMBP Sierra :: Canon EOS 80D/Sony RX100

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed May 08, 2013 6:36 pm

It was. Innards went everywhere. Grandpa had us do stuff like that partly to show us what the guns were capable of; he'd let us blow up frozen water jugs or old printers and then remind us that our bodies are a lot squishier than those and that a bullet wound would really, really suck.

But it meant we got to shoot cool stuff :D
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 08, 2013 9:20 pm

Someone sent my wife a link to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y4DbZivHCY

Edit: And speaking of completely random crap, some tangent from a news story I read led me on a half-hour Wikipedia link chase through baseball personalities whose names I vaguely remember from when I was a kid. Leo Durocher, Wilbur Wood, Gaylord Perry, and others. I don't even follow baseball any more (not that I was ever a huge fan, but these days I pretty much ignore it completely). Nostalgia is a weird thing. :lol:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Wed May 15, 2013 3:38 pm

So...shredded prime rib, bacon, artichoke dip, cayenne honey sauce, and jalapenos on grilled panini. I will pay a terrible price for this foolishness.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 15, 2013 3:43 pm

Sounds yummy!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 15, 2013 4:12 pm

just brew it! wrote:
Sounds yummy!

Agreed. Next time the George Foreman comes out of the cupboard I'm there.

On the flip side, managed to disembowel a wild turkey at 75 MPH with the intercooler hood scoop of the car on the way to work this AM. First thought it was a really fat crow then noticed it wasn't gaining altitude like a crow. That prompted an "Oh ****, turkey" which promptly bounced off the hood, scoop, and windshield. Luckily there was no one too close behind me to collect the flying carcass. The heavy rain on the way home was very effective in removing most of the evidence. No real damage, just a trim piece and some clear-coat scratches to buff out. Won't even get insurance involved for this one. For critters defined as "big game" in Vermont's hunting rules guide, I now have 3 kills in car season.

Turkey were once extinct in Vermont. They were reintroduced mid-20th Century and now they're everywhere. If it had gone direct into the windshield it would most likely have broken it big time. Not enough to get through, but enough to make getting to the breakdown lane a wee challenge. Still wonder what a turkey was doing on the Interstate.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed May 15, 2013 4:46 pm

5 lbs red potatoes, roasted
1 package bacon
1 lb cheddar cheese
4 cans green chilis (2 hot, 2 mild)

mashed the potatos, blend in bacon and cheese, squish into thin layer. COver with more cheese. Roast until the cheese starts to brown.
So frigging good.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed May 15, 2013 4:53 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
1 package bacon
1 lb cheddar cheese

mashed the potatos, blend in bacon and cheese, squish into thin layer. COver with more cheese. Roast until the cheese starts to brown.
So frigging good.

Make it 3 pounds of bacon and we have a deal.

superjawes

Wed May 15, 2013 5:20 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
1 package bacon
1 lb cheddar cheese

So frigging good.

Mmm....reminds me of creek fried, which I haven't had in forever...

Might have to make them soon with some extras.
On second thought, let's not go to TechReport. It's infested by crypto bull****.

BluePanda
Gerbil

Thu May 16, 2013 10:34 pm

BP is back and there's nothing you can do about it... :evil:

ludi
Lord High Gerbil

Fri May 17, 2013 2:55 pm

It was, indeed, delicious. Unfortunately, I was right about paying a terrible price.

Today I went with sushi and (unfried) spring rolls. Equally tasty and much safer.
Abacus Model 2.5 | Quad-Row FX with 256 Cherry Red Slider Beads | Applewood Frame | Water Cooling by Brita Filtration

lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Fri May 17, 2013 11:46 pm

Went hiking yesterday and today. Considered camping, but didn't prepare for it beforehand. It's good I didn't as I had to get a tire on my car patched, and I was able to process a lot of the pictures I took. Some beautiful overlooks from Old Rag Mountain yesterday, and some really pretty waterfalls in White Oak Canyon today. The roads getting there were also extremely fun. Pictures in the general photography thread.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count

Arclight
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 18, 2013 1:56 pm

Various movies that i believe should get more attention:
- The Jacket (2005);
- The Man from Earth (2007);
- Moon (2009);
- Take Shelter (2011).
nVidia video drivers FAIL, click for more info
Disclaimer: All answers and suggestions are provided by an enthusiastic amateur and are therefore without warranty either explicit or implicit. Basically you use my suggestions at your own risk.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon May 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Hope any gerbils in the OK City area are, well, OK. That looks ugly.

superjawes

Tue May 21, 2013 7:26 am

So my place was fine, but work apparently got hit. My workstation lost power at some point and not all network services are back up. I also have to prepare for a business trip tomorrow.

...It's going to be one of those days...

just brew it!
Administrator

Wed May 22, 2013 12:09 am

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/21/us/oklaho ... index.html

Holy crap. An elementary school all but leveled by the tornado, and everyone inside survived. Quick thinking, cool heads, and a healthy dose of good luck.

SpotTheCat
Gerbilus Supremus

Wed May 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Now back to your previously scheduled programming.

Tech has changed a lot since I joined TR. I was reflecting on that today.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu May 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Going through the garage to dump stuff, clean stuff, and reorganize stuff.
I found 3 storage boxes full of empty jewel cases (for CDs, not jewelry). I don't think I need those :lol: 5 hours so far to empty it, start sorting, and start refilling. I'm kaput for a bit.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Thu May 23, 2013 5:43 pm

A full-scale X-wing built of Legos (at least on the outside, it does need steel innards for structural reasons).

http://www.uproxx.com/gammasquad/2013/0 ... ore-257466

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu May 23, 2013 9:05 pm

That is awesome Ned.