dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:14 pm

Captain Ned wrote:We get a text file with about 90 or so fields in a flat file with thousands of lines, representing the bank's loan portfolio and the key data we want to look at. This is supposed to seamlessly import into this Access run-time app. If there's a single character in a numeric field the entire thing barfs and doesn't even give you the courtesy of telling you what line in the file is causing the problem. Hence, a week spent going through the file to ensure no data type errors, converting it to Excel to fix other numeric errors (each bank main processing platform has its own little ways of not giving us what we really asked for), then converting it back to a FIXED-WIDTH (really, you couldn't use delimited fields :x ) text file to import.

Sounds like something that an AWK (and I'll kill anyone who mentions PERL) script could help automate significant parts of the job. At least it could validate the data fields and output to fixed-width.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:01 pm

Captain Ned wrote:We get a text file with about 90 or so fields in a flat file with thousands of lines, representing the bank's loan portfolio and the key data we want to look at. [...]

Obviously you can't send me bank data. But you can send me a file with dummy data, with all the possible errors that you come across, and I can get you a script to clean it up and/or export to Excel/MDB.
There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing :(
morphine
Gerbil Khan
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:12 pm

I picked up a John Deere 265 riding mower with a 48 inch deck at the beginning summer and have had it out twice all summer due to my grass not growing in the heat. I actually enjoy mowing my lot now and the whole thing dries up! I'm not sure if I am disappointed that I can't use my new toy or relieved that I don't have to be out there in the heat.
njenabnit
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:08 am

I haven't wanted to get drunk this badly in a long time. Chaos for the last 3 days at the office, with a coworker making the type of mistake that can get people killed and us trying to clean up fall-out.
Thankfully it's a no-harm so it's not as big a cluster as it could be. But it's still significant. Gah.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:37 am

monts wrote:
just brew it! wrote:How the heck did I miss this? XKCD has a new weekly feature, called "What If?". The tagline is "Answering your hypothetical questions with physics, every Tuesday."

Check it out: http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/

It is good, thanks for reminding me, better go and read this weeks edition.

Good one last week: http://what-if.xkcd.com/6/
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:23 am

Too bad nothing exists (for free at least) that converts 10's of thousands of lines of legacy VB6 code into VB.NET or C# with any hint of success...
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:49 am

http://www.hnsa.org/doc/cookbook1945/index.htm

The standard US Navy onboard cookbook as of July 1945. There's actually some good stuff in there for the vintage, though the base recipe is 100 servings.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:22 am

Now I am become Dizik, the destroyer of loofahs. Seriously...I can't get one to last more than 2 weeks. :-?
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:17 am

Dear coworker: if you quit boring the office with stories about how you're the hero and your estranged spouse is the goat, i'll quit not listening when you ask work-related questions.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:45 pm

I stupidly drained spoiled milk down the drain the other day. Big mistake. The next morning the whole house was stinking.
I tried everything: baking soda, dishwashing soap, vinegar etc. Nothing worked.

Then I put a 2L of diet 7up to work. And it has worked wonderfully. :lol:
codedivine
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:51 pm

codedivine wrote:I stupidly drained spoiled milk down the drain the other day. Big mistake. The next morning the whole house was stinking.

That means you have an empty trap somewhere. Make sure to run water into every drain in the house.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:17 pm

It's probably the basement floor drain unless you have AC draining in to it in summer and a condensing furnace draining in to it in winter. Houses around here are built with trap primers on the laundry sink in the basement - every time you run the tap some water goes in to the line to the trap.
notfred
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Postposted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
codedivine wrote:I stupidly drained spoiled milk down the drain the other day. Big mistake. The next morning the whole house was stinking.

That means you have an empty trap somewhere. Make sure to run water into every drain in the house.

notfred wrote:It's probably the basement floor drain unless you have AC draining in to it in summer and a condensing furnace draining in to it in winter. Houses around here are built with trap primers on the laundry sink in the basement - every time you run the tap some water goes in to the line to the trap.

Will run water in the drains. Thanks!
I live in a studio, there is exactly one room and three drains so thats easy. :lol:
codedivine
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:44 pm

codedivine wrote:I live in a studio, there is exactly one room and three drains so thats easy. :lol:

I'm guessing that means kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower/bath (plus latrine). In that case, it's possible you just didn't get all the milk rinsed out of the drain and trap, and the 7-up probably did the trick.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:10 pm

1. Put cold, chewy bacon in a plastic bag.
2. Slap a label on it that says "Bacon Jerky".
3. ????
4. Profit!!!

Saw this stuff at the local Walgreens this morning. It was on clearance (perhaps an indication of how well step 3 is going for them?), so I figured I'd give it a try. Just because it's bacon. And jerky. And half price.

It's about like you'd expect based on step 1! :lol:
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:12 pm

just brew it! wrote:1. Put cold, chewy bacon in a plastic bag.
2. Slap a label on it that says "Bacon Jerky".
3. ????
4. Profit!!!

Saw this stuff at the local Walgreens this morning. It was on clearance (perhaps an indication of how well step 3 is going for them?), so I figured I'd give it a try. Just because it's bacon. And jerky. And half price.

It's about like you'd expect based on step 1! :lol:

God Bless America.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:59 pm

Someone shot Scruffy with a pellet gun :evil: He's gonna be perfectly fine after a shot and some bandages but if I ever find out who it was, they sure as hell won't be.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:59 pm

Damn stupid idiot dog continues his jihad against skunks with the usual results. Ugh.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:32 am

What's that, like the third time this summer?

Sorry man.
Krogoth wrote:Care to enlightenment me?
grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Bathroom remodel is a pain in a one bathroom house. Still in the hotel.

When they removed the toilet and the sink, the plumbing actually fell down--the pipes just went. They were getting replaced anyway but DAMN.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:45 am

Captain Ned wrote:...stupid idiot dog...

These three words are redundant.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:44 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:Bathroom remodel is a pain in a one bathroom house. Still in the hotel.

When they removed the toilet and the sink, the plumbing actually fell down--the pipes just went. They were getting replaced anyway but DAMN.

I've seen some standpipe collars that were too rusted to take the new latrine screws, but that's downright impressive.

Upshot is that you found out about this before it started flushing into the crawlspace.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:50 pm

Yep. It was good timing if nothing else :lol: The bathroom will be usable by the end of the day but the cabinet and crown molding won't be done till Friday. I'm so looking forward to doing the three S's at home! New floor, new walls, new pipes, new sink, new shower, new tile, etc.

next decade maybe we'll do the kitchen :lol: Windows are the next one though, and that'll be 4 grand or so.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Hah, the walls will probably fall down when you go to remove the old windows. I'd hire someone and be in the next county, just to be safe. :o
BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:35 pm

actually, the frame seems to be very sound. It's the ONLY thing that's sound maybe, but the frames and exterior walls are in good shape. It's just the guts of the kitchen and bathroom that are really bad. The main reason I want the (original!) windows replaced is energy efficiency. These are old windows and not at all energy efficient4, and there's 14 of them in the house (most of them like 30x45").
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:58 pm

Well, this sucks:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/ ... _169/10097

Philips was going to produce a 21:9 aspect ratio television set. That would have provided a 2:33 to 1 ratio, which is just perfect for the vast majority of films out there from like 1970 to today. I would have loved to have one of these in my theater room, alas.

16:9 is a good compromise, I guess. My 4:3 content like my classic movies and TV shows would look really odd on a 21:9 screen, after all.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:49 pm

Eh, HDTV is 16:9 and you would have had to put up with the black bands anyways. If you wanted a dedicated movie screen, you could build a 21:9 'frame' for the 80" Sony or LG and make believe you have a 2:33 screen. :lol:
BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Postposted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:37 pm

I thought you had a badass setup with a screen and projector?
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:42 pm

I got rid of the projector sometime ago. I've been on a 55" LED OVER TV for a couple of years now. It allowed me to better utilize the space in my mancave for other man cavish things.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:45 pm

...like a dance pole? :o
BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch