dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:19 am

pikaporeon wrote:Lagavulin's

That's it! I was way off with the name and description. That's definitely the name of the scotch though.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:34 am

Lagavulin 16 Year is a solid 'routine' special occasion beverage. However I procured a bottle of 30 Year Glenfiddich and a bottle of 30 Year Talisker for my brother's impending Ph.D. I will be sure and share my impressions with those who might be interested when they are finally opened.
conlusio
Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:41 am

keep us posted - love scotch but cant afford to diversify my tastes too much. Current bottle I'm slowly working through is Macallan Gold
My Dreamcast PC thread
Main Rig: FX-6100 / Radeon 6950 / Velociraptor HD because old school rotations
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:59 am

Where are you guys buying your booze? The prices you guys quote seem high.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:25 pm

Canadia
My Dreamcast PC thread
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:36 pm

Scotch does nothing to earn the price premium over bourbon in my opinion.
Krogoth wrote:Care to enlightenment me?
grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:59 pm

From the offical Vermont price list (VT is a "full control" state), a few already mentioned here:

Macallan 30 - $1,249.99
Glenfiddich 30 - $278.99
JW Blue - $222.99
Lagavulin 16 - $70.99
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:44 pm

Man, sucks to be in Vermont.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:49 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:Man, sucks to be in Vermont.

Luckily I spend several weeks every year working close to NH. Prices are much cheaper there.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:41 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:
DancinJack wrote:
steelcity_ballin wrote:I wouldn't call my first scotch experience a bad one per say. It tasted like burning, and when I burped it had that magnum black magic-markers smell. Interesting. I would try it again, this time from a glass and not a red party cup.

Oh goodness, from a plastic cup? I'm sorry!

Do you happen to know what scotch and year it was?

It was a 10 year old single malt... Started with a J I think and had some deer or elk or something on the bottle?

Oh lord.

Smelled like the black magic marker? That's licorice smell. "J" on the bottle with a deer? That's Jagermeister... That is DEFINITELY NOT SCOTCH
mac_h8r1.postCount++;
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent, and reboot. Order shall return.
Slivovitz owns you.
mac_h8r1
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:43 pm

mac_h8r1 wrote:Oh lord.

Smelled like the black magic marker? That's licorice smell. "J" on the bottle with a deer? That's Jagermeister... That is DEFINITELY NOT SCOTCH

Ha, I didn't even catch that first time around.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:46 pm

Nobody has a good first experience with Jaegermeister.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:06 pm

I love Jagermeister. I enjoy the taste and don't really do the whole shots thing though, so my experience is not typical.
Krogoth wrote:Care to enlightenment me?
grantmeaname
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:22 pm

Nobody has a good [strike]first[/strike] experience with Jaegermeister.

Fixed for accuracy. That stuff is just...ugh.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:39 pm

mac_h8r1 wrote:Smelled like the black magic marker? That's licorice smell. "J" on the bottle with a deer? That's Jagermeister... That is DEFINITELY NOT SCOTCH

Agreed on the Jager ID, but there is a single-malt with a stag's head emblem on the bottle. Name escapes me at present.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:37 am

the last time I had Jaeger was years ago; I had 24 shots, i passed out, and my bandmates prodded me with a burning rum bottle to wake me up.

... we aren't friends any more
My Dreamcast PC thread
pikaporeon
Graphmaster Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:11 am

My entrance exam to APD is on December 7th; I take the agility exam late December. Time to focus on running for the next 3-4 weeks :lol: I'm a little nervous about that--I thought it'd be closer to the academy start date in June, so I don't have the time I thought I did. Thankfully I'm pretty close to requirements right now.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:38 am

@Captain Ned: is this it? http://www.whisky.com/brands/dalmore_brand.html

So Frank Stallone doesn't know where to spend New Year's Eve. Who wants to pool their resources with me?
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:42 am

derFunkenstein wrote:@Captain Ned: is this it? http://www.whisky.com/brands/dalmore_brand.html

That's the one.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:25 pm

I had vowed to never buy an Apple product, and technically I still haven't broken that vow. But as of a couple of weeks ago, I carry a work-issued iPhone. Whatever else I think of the company, I do have to give them credit for designing a clean, intuitive UI.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:30 pm

just brew it! wrote:I had vowed to never buy an Apple product, and technically I still haven't broken that vow. But as of a couple of weeks ago, I carry a work-issued iPhone. Whatever else I think of the company, I do have to give them credit for designing a clean, intuitive UI.

Its only a matter of time until you convert now !!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:
Hance
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:27 pm

mac_h8r1 wrote:Oh lord.

Most assuredly NOT Jager. I dislike Anise, and I've had more than my allotted run-ins with jaegerbombs in my college days, no thanks! We should be getting wedding photos soon, and Im sure the bottle will be visible in our hotel room to confirm. It smelled like corkboard and when I burped all night I tasted black magic marker and burning. I retracted my "J" name earlier.

Christ, I just did some more googling because I'm positive was scotch, and I'm positive it was a 10 year single malt. I believe it was Laphroaig's now. Look - I had been drinking the night before, and we were well on our way before I had that drink. These things tend to get away from me :glares squinty at all of you: Don't you judge me! J is pretty close to L in the alphabet... Shut up.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:41 pm

This it?

http://www.laphroaig.com/whiskies/10yo.aspx

Starting your Scotch experiences with Laphroaig is jumping straight into the deepest end there is.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:42 pm

The peat smoke in Scotch contains phenols. In high concentrations, phenols can impart flavors that some people perceive as plasticy or medicinal. Scotch and certain beer styles (traditional Hefeweizen, some Belgian Ales) are among the beverages where clearly perceptible levels of phenols are considered normal. (I'm treating tannins separately here, even though they are chemically related to phenols...)
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:30 pm

I've taken to singing "We are the Champions" after difficult diaper changes. I can't be the first parent to do that can I?
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:03 am

paulWTAMU wrote:I've taken to singing "We are the Champions" after difficult diaper changes. I can't be the first parent to do that can I?

Back in the day I was happy with diaper changes that didn't require mil-spec decom.

Said this many a time and it remains true for all gerbils experiencing their first spawnage: They aren't as fragile as you think they are.

Congrats on the spawn and may you quickly move to all-night sleepage.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:00 am

At one year old I'm hoping its soon. Some nights he does, some nights he doesn't.

But he's gotten to the point where he fights diaper changes now :o :x
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:37 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:At one year old I'm hoping its soon. Some nights he does, some nights he doesn't.

But he's gotten to the point where he fights diaper changes now :o :x

Our youngest (now 6) would dig in the diaper and smear it all over if given a chance. Not a good experience to say the least :x
Hance
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:34 pm

Dude. Potty train early. Wife read a blog on how to have your kid potty trained at 18 mos and that shizz worked. We had her trained at 19 mos, had a minor setback when she got an infection, but were back on track before she turned two. She's 25 months now and has been peeing and pooping in the potty since September.
My specs: GE Spacemaker JVM2052SNSS | 1050.0 Watts | 3 speed turntable | 2.0 cu ft | Quick 1 lb Defrost
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:29 am

Holy crap that's awesome. Mine was almost 3 before she even wanted to, although once she did accidents were super rare.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch