dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:15 pm

I'm going to see how it's going in a few more months; he's only a year but if I can have him toilet trained at 18 months...
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:16 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:I'm going to see how it's going in a few more months; he's only a year but if I can have him toilet trained at 18 months...

Target shooting.
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:37 pm

The method in a nutshell: clear your calendar for a weekend (preferably a three day weekend). We had three little potties. Kid's pants were removed and she was confined to a non-carpeted area of the house, and watched like a hawk. Every 30 minutes we sat her on a potty. Whenever she sat on a potty voluntarily she got a miniature marshmallow. If she started to pee on the floor, we put her on a potty and she got an M&M. She was encouraged to yell "POTTY POTTY POTTY!" when she felt she had to go. By the end of Day 2, she was about 50%. Day 3, she was pretty much there and we let her wear her pants in the house. Day 4 and 5 we left the potties out, but when she said she had to go we took her to our bathroom and put her on the big toilet (used an insert so she didn't fall in). When we went shopping, we took a little potty with us and if she had to go, she went in the store near the back of an aisle. Got some looks from people, but screw them. Pooping took longer to master, but still came fairly quickly. Daycare complicates things, much easier without them if you can swing it until the kid is fully trained.
My specs: GE Spacemaker JVM2052SNSS | 1050.0 Watts | 3 speed turntable | 2.0 cu ft | Quick 1 lb Defrost
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:23 pm

That's the biggest worry--but I figure the wife and I could burn a day of PTO each ot make it work.
Pooping is what I want to work the most because, well, wiping Sam is GROSS.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:16 pm

Projectile vomiting is grosser. At least with poop you're not cleaning it off the floor, walls, bed, etc. Well, at least not usually.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:07 pm

just brew it! wrote:Projectile vomiting is grosser. At least with poop you're not cleaning it off the floor, walls, bed, etc. Well, at least not usually.

Our daughter was one of the not usually cases. Crib in the middle of the room kept the walls clean but good god I wanted to invest in a pressure washer.
Hance
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Hance wrote:Our daughter was one of the not usually cases. Crib in the middle of the room kept the walls clean but good god I wanted to invest in a pressure washer.

Ah, stories for Prom Night.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:11 pm

ludi wrote:
Hance wrote:Our daughter was one of the not usually cases. Crib in the middle of the room kept the walls clean but good god I wanted to invest in a pressure washer.
Ah, stories for Prom Night.

I like your style. 8) Do you get out the fancy white taffeta sleeve for the shotgun?
There are people that embrace the Oxford comma and people who don't. Never get between these people when drink has been taken. I use the Oxford comma and always will. The rest can sod off.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:04 pm

passed the written part of the entrance exam for the police department. Next weekend is the physical. Ugh, running. They canned today's physical stuff because it was single digits and snowing this morning and the agility test is outdoors.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:20 pm

I'll eventually regret saying this, but the NE has lucked out thus far on the weather. Everyone I talk to on regular basis that lives elsewhere (KS,TX, MI) has been complaining for a couple weeks now. Yesterday when I woke up it was 60 degrees.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:31 pm

It's currently 28 degrees F in Portland,OR right now.

Stupidly cold.

Being out in this weather is no fun at all.

Supposed to be 32 degrees F for the high temp tomorrow,with a wind chill as low as 9 degrees F.

Going to work tomorrow is going to suck.(Also,there's a 60% chance of snow.Oh joy.)
AMD64Blondie
Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:37 am

AMD64Blondie wrote:It's currently 28 degrees F in Portland,OR right now.

Stupidly cold.

Wimp.

28F isn't even *close* to being "stupidly cold". Temps need to be down in the single digits (or at least low teens) to qualify as "stupidly cold".

:wink:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:09 am

Yeah it's 16F here right now and that's not even the coldest it's been in the last week or so. Plus whoever it was that posted the -33C screencap a few days ago, that's really cold.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:21 am

19F here and I had to clear snow off my car this morning. The wind made it a lot worse because it kept blowing the snow right in my face. Didn't matter which way I was facing...
Save yourself the trouble and don't ask why the TV remote is in the refrigerator.
superjawes
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:26 am

Like I said I would, regretting the 60 in December. Today isn't that cold, but it's windy/snowy/rainy. NE winter weather has begun.
i7 860 - GA-P55-USB3 - 8GiB - HD7850 - SSD - 3.64TB HDD - Xonar D1 - U2410 - Win7 Pro x64.
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:27 am

I've gone running in sub-zero temperatures. The biggest problem is layering. Too many layers and your clothes get very wet very soon from sweat, and then they start to freeze. Not enough layers and you aren't warm enough to run without risking injury. I find that a hat, gloves, vaseline on the face with a scarf over the mouth, 1 layer thermals, 1 layer sweats works really well. Keep the mouth covered so you're always getting warm air.
Corsair 600T | ASUS P8P67 PRO | Intel 2500k @ 4.4Ghz | EVGA 560 TI | G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB | Corsair HX650 650W
steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:55 pm

really... you can't be serious!
imi
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Hey, looks who just dropped by! :D
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:26 pm

steelcity_ballin wrote:I've gone running in sub-zero temperatures. The biggest problem is layering. Too many layers and your clothes get very wet very soon from sweat, and then they start to freeze. Not enough layers and you aren't warm enough to run without risking injury. I find that a hat, gloves, vaseline on the face with a scarf over the mouth, 1 layer thermals, 1 layer sweats works really well. Keep the mouth covered so you're always getting warm air.

Pretty much what I did all through high school wrestling. Sometimes instead of sweats i'd wear vinyls though. :/ Oh the mistakes we make as children.
DancinJack
Gerbil Jedi

Postposted on Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:27 pm

A friend and I we're talking about old photos and I was looking for the picture of me on here which (nearly) ended up on a t-shirt. Once more I am shocked about the attention a twelve year old girls ramblings managed to attract!
imi
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:02 pm

imi wrote:A friend and I we're talking about old photos and I was looking for the picture of me on here which (nearly) ended up on a t-shirt. Once more I am shocked about the attention a twelve year old girls ramblings managed to attract!

I'm pretty sure that once we figured out your age at the time it was deleted/blocked. If my understanding of TR BBQ history is correct the picture actually did end up on a single CafePress t-shirt courtesy of Gleek which was then ritually burned in the late-night fire at one of the first BBQs. That whole turn of events was discussed at this year's beach fire (and a shirt was burned) but by that point I was incapable of reliable recognition.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:12 pm

sounds about right :p
imi
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:27 pm

I had always just assumed that xanthan gum (a common ingredient in packaged sauces and dressings) was some sort of vegetable gum, extracted from the xanthum (or similarly named) plant. Nope. Turns out that it is actually a secretion of the Xanthomonas bacterium. :o Think about that the next time you use some Sriracha sauce or Kraft Italian dressing!

Yeah, I'm one of those OCD people who reads the ingredient labels on everything. And I tend to look up any ingredients I don't know. Odd that in all these years I'd never bothered to look up xanthan gum before. Like I said, I just assumed it was some sort of plant extract...

It's not like I'm gonna stop buying products that contain it or anything; I was just surprised, that's all. Hey, I drink an awful lot of yeast piss, it's not like I'm at all offended by a little bacterial poop! :lol:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:56 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
imi wrote:A friend and I we're talking about old photos and I was looking for the picture of me on here which (nearly) ended up on a t-shirt. Once more I am shocked about the attention a twelve year old girls ramblings managed to attract!

I'm pretty sure that once we figured out your age at the time it was deleted/blocked. If my understanding of TR BBQ history is correct the picture actually did end up on a single CafePress t-shirt courtesy of Gleek which was then ritually burned in the late-night fire at one of the first BBQs. That whole turn of events was discussed at this year's beach fire (and a shirt was burned) but by that point I was incapable of reliable recognition.

Essentially correct. I burned said shirt at TRBBQII in Frobozz' back yard. I don't think it was nighttime, but I do remember being alarmed that the flames were high enough to almost reach Frobozz' electric wires going into the house. Or maybe they were phone lines, dunno.

But yeah, I burned the shirt. I'd do it again too, that was just weird, making a shirt out of a picture of a 12 year old kid
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:20 am

Yes that's accurate. I think the shirt had something to do with one of Gleek's banning events.
I don't think he never really meant anything weird by it other then as an honor to DYMT and it's originator.
But then he didn't explain that stance very eloquently at the time as I recall.
FroBozz_Inc
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:37 pm

potty training tips.... golf ball in the bowl/potty to aim at (great for little boys)
particular toys allowed at potty time only... preferably a favorite one
potty sticker charts
food coloring in the toilet cylinder and get him to guess what color the loo will be when he flushes, works for going direct in toilet and flushing own wee down the loo
imi
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:53 pm

What genius failed to order enough tiles to finish his backsplash over Christmas? *sigh*
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:25 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:What genius failed to order enough tiles to finish his backsplash over Christmas? *sigh*

Ehh... I can top that.

What genius failed to check whether the vanity would actually fit in the powder room, resulting in the dilemma of either A) notching the door trim to allow the vanity top to be positioned flush with the wall; or B) doing something wonky with the sidesplash to cover the gap (equal to the depth of the door trim) between the vanity top and the wall? Either way it ain't gonna be quite right. The door trim interferes with the vanity base too (about 1/2" overlap), but that's not as glaring.

By the time this issue was discovered it was too late to return anything; the whole project took way longer than anticipated because of other unforeseen issues, so we were way past the return window. The vanity bowl and top (purchased separately) had also already been attached to each other with construction adhesive, making it impossible to return them anyway. :-?
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:53 pm

FroBozz_Inc wrote:Yes that's accurate. I think the shirt had something to do with one of Gleek's banning events.

I think that was one of the ones I was at. I remember being at your house, FroBozz. I think the shirt burning was also the time Action Jim & I rented a car to drive out there & someone in a big yellow truck backed into it. Or was that the next one?

Merry (by now Belated) Christmas, guys.
StrangeDay
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Postposted on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:01 am

FroBozz_Inc wrote:But then he didn't explain that stance very eloquently at the time as I recall.

Gleek & eloquent??

Krogoth might have a pertinent opinion.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch