dymt reloaded

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: dymt reloaded

Postposted on Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:04 pm

I am full of yummy pork, and have had my ears destroyed by the Destroyers. :lol: BOC was good too (personally I preferred them to Thorogood, but I'm the BOC fan in the family).

Yes, Ribfest has gotten really huge the past few years. They've spread it out over a much larger area, which helps a lot with the crowd density. The downside with the new layout is that it is now a ~2 block walk from the main stage area to the rib vendors. I also really wish they'd get some decent beer at the beer tents, but hey it's a rib festival not a beer festival, so who am I to complain...
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:29 am

http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2010/05/23

Replace the Facebook/blog bit with something about the TR forums and/or LinkedIn, and that's me!
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:45 am

That comic is my life. Apparently the guy that writes it used to be an attorney. I can't imagine what a really funny lawyer might be like, so maybe it's good that he got out of that line of work.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:12 pm

Well today is shaping up to be a pretty f**ked up day. Business restructuring and layoffs announced this AM. I still have a job (for now), but several of my co-workers (and the GM and one of the Directors) are out of here.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Sounds like a "make sure your resume is updated" day...good luck, JBI.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:16 pm

Not a great summer business-wise. We hired one last week and fired a different one this week due to a shift in workload, a friend of mine saw five sent packing in his <25-person local office on Tuesday, and another friend has been dreading a layoff announcement since January which, as of last week, had finally spared him but churned a lot of other business sectors in his company.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:26 pm

One of my newer coworkers is just painfully dumb. Nice enough person, but I swear their IQ is probably room temperature. This is getting exasperating. I hate to see someoen that's really trying to do well get in trouble but she's just frigging dumb and it impacts her work.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.
paulWTAMU
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:39 pm

What's the point of having so many tennis courts at parks? I don't have anything against the sport, but I've noticed that nearly all suburban parks have multiple tennis courts that sit vacant almost the entire year. It's a very rare occasion that anyone will use even ONE of the courts, but many of these parks have 4, 6, or even more tennis courts with tumbleweeds blowing through them. What's the point? Why do they spend money to build these things and have them sit empty?

Then to top it off, they yell at little kids who happen to ride a bike or a skateboard in them. How dare they abuse the empty tennis courts that nobody uses.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil Elite
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:49 pm

It is a government conspiracy. They've made contact (and formed an alliance) with the alien race responsible for the Roswell incident. The tennis courts are actually landing pads for the alien spaceships.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:55 am

Just maxed out the RAM (to 4GB) and swapped out the mechanical HDD for an SSD on my creaky old Lenovo laptop. It feels like a new system! I figure I can probably hang on to this latpop for another couple of years now...
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:58 pm

....especially since "new" laptops come with dual core, ULV processors running at one-point-something GHz because they're so pointlessly thin that there's no room for a decent battery or cooling system.

I can mock ultralight ultraportables in exactly the same way that I can mock people who have spent $5000 making their bicycle a couple of pounds lighter. I can make the combined total weight of me and bicycle two pounds lighter by dropping the Browns off at the superbowl.
I hear rig lists are all the rage, and I <3 the rage! Workstation = Black tower thing; HTPC = Shhhh!; Laptop - AMAZING FOLDING PC!
Chrispy_
Minister of Gerbil Affairs
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 pm

The Egg wrote:What's the point of having so many tennis courts at parks? I don't have anything against the sport, but I've noticed that nearly all suburban parks have multiple tennis courts that sit vacant almost the entire year. It's a very rare occasion that anyone will use even ONE of the courts, but many of these parks have 4, 6, or even more tennis courts with tumbleweeds blowing through them. What's the point? Why do they spend money to build these things and have them sit empty?

Then to top it off, they yell at little kids who happen to ride a bike or a skateboard in them. How dare they abuse the empty tennis courts that nobody uses.

They're cheap and quick to put up, I imagine.

The one by my parents house was like that, and sat empty. Then they took out the tennis courts and put in a skate park. Oh how the residents complained. To the park district's credit, they basically said "no one used the tennis courts, and the skate park gets used like crazy. STFU"

OTOH, the tennis courts in the park by my house get used all the time, there's people waiting. YMMV I guess
YOU CAN RUPTURE SOMEONE'S SPLEEN WITH A WATER BALLOON!!!!
idchafee
His Holy Gerbilness
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:31 pm

Ugh, get to the airport early in case security is backed up. Get through security in 2 minutes. Guess I have time for a Heady Topper or two before I get on the plane. Cheap $40 first class upgrade came through as well, so there will be a Scotch chaser. You need it for the run up the river to Reagan National (DCA) given the tight allowable flight profiles.

Wonder if I'll be stuck with Sen. Sanders (C-VT) like I was the last time I did this round trip.

One thing I can't bitch about is this is one of the few airports with free Wi-Fi. Give 'em a throwaway Yahoo addy and they're just fine.
Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. Big Al.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:44 pm

If you procrastinate you can get through in 2 minutes too. Tell 'em you're about to miss your flight and they'll send you to the priority line! :lol:

Envious of your Heady Topper break though. :wink:
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:08 pm

just brew it! wrote:Envious of your Heady Topper break though. :wink:

I see the donation I left at BBQ found fertile ground. Problem is is that the brewery is absolutely committed to keeping it local. Works for me, but not so much for the rest of the world.

In many ways I get it. They don't want to advertise beyond the range they can supply, and they have no intention of increasing supply.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:32 pm

No sitting US Senator, but a former Governor who I wish was still Governor.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:31 pm

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/08/ ... get-movie/

Please please please please don't let this fall through again. JMS did so well with the $1.95 and couch change he had per episode back in the early days and to see it done properly would be great.

On another note, arriving home from 6 days in DC, getting to the car in the parking garage, and finding the battery so flat that the key fob doesn't even get a chirp really throws some cold water on finally getting home. Rued the fact that the jumper cables are in my garage, instead of in my trunk, so had to pay a cabbie $25 to get started (after watching/listening to 3 separate groups of Quebecois nearly come to blows over who was first in line at the taxi stand).
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:14 am

Ugh. A strange noise downstairs that sets off the dog. I hurry downstairs to find out what's going on and am greeted by the sickly sweet smell of The Magic Smoke. Somehow something shorted out on my stereo amplifier (Carver M 400t, a/k/a Carver Cube) and it's now gone to the component graveyard in the sky. Thankfully nothing else in the stack was powered up at the time (amp stayed on 24/7 because it doesn't have an on/off switch). I think the speakers (Polk Audio Monitor 10Bs) are OK, but no way to easily check.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:20 am

Could be just a blown capacitor.
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:23 am

just brew it! wrote:Could be just a blown capacitor.

I'll let it cool down then pop it open. If it was a cap it was a big one based on the smoke cloud. Been wanting a new amp anyways, so now have spousally-acceptable reason.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:29 am

i7-4770K, H70, Gryphon Z87, 16 GiB, R9-290, SSD, 2 HD, Blu-ray, SB ZX, TJ08-E, SS-660XP², 3007WFP+2001FP, RK-9000BR, MX518
JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:39 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:$32k per pair. :wink:

Would certainly help with the heating bills, though it better come with a tube cage to keep the cats from sprawling all over them. Retubing 40 KT-88s (that's what they look like to me) sure won't be cheap.

EDIT: He's using 6550s, which are KT88s in US-speak.

EDIT2: I was thinking more along the lines of this:

http://nadelectronics.com/products/hifi ... -Amplifier

Have an NAD CD deck and have always had a soft spot for NAD gear. We used NAD power amps in the fraternity sound system and they would take the most awful abuse without question.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:00 pm

Double ugh. Now the car is throwing a code (P0304, Cylinder 4 misfire). It's clear at idle that I'm down 1 cylinder but it goes away as the RPMs ramp up. Crappy weekend for hardware here at home. Looks like I'll be driving the backup car until mine goes to the dealer.

And both of these hardware failures happen in the same week as I'm having work done on the house and the 1st installment of property taxes is due.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:34 pm

Wow. Crazy few days!
Usacomp2k3
Gerbil God

Postposted on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:47 am

From what I can see online, that Carver Cube looks like it would be quite fun to repair. Straightforward analog setup and not a lot of layout complexity.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:34 am

some turd is trying to bump their post count to qualify for Warsam's giveaway. He's responding to decade-old threads not realizing they get bumped to the front page. :lol:
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:45 am

I kind of with SS and Warsam had used a date metric instead of post count. It would prevent such shennanigans, and would give a chance for the comment-only crowd to win (since they are still part of the community).
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:45 am

Watching with amusement... :lol:
TR BBQ ~XI~ has come and gone but you can relive it by checking out this gallery!
drfish
Maximum Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:46 am

I can see that, but I can also see how he wanted someone who has contributed to forum discussions to win rather than someone who just trolls commenters on the front page. The people who meaningfully contribute on the FP also tend to meaningfully contribute in the forums.

drfish wrote:Watching with amusement... :lol:

I wish I could see his face when he gets banned and all the posts nuked in one click (which I'm assuming can happen). :lol:

My guess is he'll finish and leave the forum never to return, and may never find out whatever fate awaits him.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:49 am

True. Either way, posting in every thread one can find is pretty annoying for people who follow the active threads, and I believe it counts as spamming (although a mod would have to weigh in on that).

superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to The Back Porch