Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mazda6-s

Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:42 am

Anyone heard anything about this car? Information is scarce. It looks pretty nice, though. I am thinking about ordering one, black, with the sport package.

The Swamp
I wish I had gone to med school.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:20 am

i wouldnt order a mazda simply because of those stupid "zoom zooom zoom" commericals.
You don't have to feel safe to feel unafraid.

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:09 am

http://www.edmunds.com is a good source. They did a road test on it if you look through their archives.

It is definitely a nice car. Especially nice considering the S starts at about $21k, even if it is a stripper at that price. It looks like it compares nicely to the Altima/Maxima, Accord, or Solara.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:49 am

Looks underpowered.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:28 pm

besides some of the sports cars....what japanese car isnt underpowered?

Spune
Gerbil XP

Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:06 pm

I wouldn't buy a Mazda myself as they are owned by Ford and for me thats a good enough reason. Its a nice looking car though. I would see if you can find some reviews that edmonds place looks alright though there were no editors reviews of the cars I looked at the reviews by people seemed to be pretty accurate (if taken with a grain of salt of course). I would also make sure that you take it for a good test drive or two before you buy it would duck to buy a car and then find out that you can't stand the seats.
There is no Spune!

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:29 pm

220hp from a 3.0L V6 is underpowered for a 3240 lbs $21k car? With a manual transmission?

What do you consider well powered? Or high powered? For $21k? What American or European car would compare well to it?

I hope you guys are being sarcastic.

danny e.
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:34 pm

this is why i hate mazda.... go here:

http://www.mazdausa.com/

listen to that for 5 seconds and tell me you arent tempted to shoot yourself.

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:51 pm

LOL. Yeah.

I just bought a car from a dealership that has a really annoying ad campaign. But I probably saved $800 on the car. Making a $20k+ purchase decision based on your dislike of an ad campaign is not really that smart.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:25 pm

Actually, the car was not designed by Ford. The V6 is a Ford design, but it was substancially reworked by Mazda for the 6. I've test driven one, and it drives really nicely. The engine has a lot of power, and it seems to have good build quality. It made Car and Driver's 10 Best list this year.

The Swamp

mrfixitx100
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:16 pm

Does Mazda sell cars (besides the Miata) that only have 2 doors?

I wouldn't get caught dead in a 4 door car. Of course you could always paint it yellow and call it a school bus!

newbie_of_jan0502
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 15, 2002 8:48 pm

I owned a Mazda once and swore I'll never own another Mazda again.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:40 pm

Not sure if it means anything to this crowd, but it's on Car and Driver's 10-best list.

I did own one Mazda, a 1988 323GT. Sleeper 4-door econobox with a hot (for the time) 130 HP 1.6 I4 turbo motor. Put over 100K miles on that car before the turbo blew. Didn't blame the car, but my mistreatment of the turbo. Owned another 2 years after rebuilding the turbo, finally sold it after 10 years of ownership. If all Mazdas were that durable, I'd buy again (assuming they come up with a WRX competitor).

BTW, MrFixItx100: You hate 4-doors enough to not want a WRX or a Mitsu EVO VIII?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

mrfixitx100
Gerbil Team Leader

Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:12 pm

Sorry, 4 door cars are as cool as driving a Crown Victoria, as I said before, paint the f**king thing yellow and call it a school bus.

Wouldn't buy an 'everyday' car equipped with a turbo, just plain stupid, stupid amounts of maintence, stupid trying to get it fixed, nice as a 'toy' though. Been there, done that, older now, tired of doing stupid things.

Car and Driver is just like most of the review sites on the internet, full of 'it'. Voted best at parting you from your money, just after the warranty runs out.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:46 pm

220hp from a 3.0L V6 is underpowered for a 3240 lbs $21k car? With a manual transmission?

If the big-engine sports model sells for only $21k then that's pretty good. Is that true? Still...

But the Maxima, Acura TL, and even the lowly Accord have more power.

Well then there's always my 287HP 350Z... :-)

b3n113
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:48 pm

danny e. wrote:
this is why i hate mazda.... go here:

http://www.mazdausa.com/

listen to that for 5 seconds and tell me you arent tempted to shoot yourself.

worst song ever.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:32 pm

mrfixitx100 wrote:
Sorry, 4 door cars are as cool as driving a Crown Victoria, as I said before, paint the f**king thing yellow and call it a school bus.

Wouldn't buy an 'everyday' car equipped with a turbo, just plain stupid, stupid amounts of maintence, stupid trying to get it fixed, nice as a 'toy' though. Been there, done that, older now, tired of doing stupid things.

Car and Driver is just like most of the review sites on the internet, full of 'it'. Voted best at parting you from your money, just after the warranty runs out.

Well, I drive a WRX Wagon. It may look like a generic Subie hatchback, but that's what I'm counting on. I've also had my fill of "look-at-me" cars, and, since I drive some 30,000 miles/year (in Vermont, that's a f**kload), I need to blend in.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:57 am

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddr ... azda_6.xml

Doesn't look like any school bus I've ever ridden :P

The Swamp

mrfixitx100
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:00 am

Huummmmmmmmm:

THE CHECKLIST:

GOT 4 DOORS: YEP
YELLOW: YEP

Damm thing looks like a school bus to me

Places where it is unlikely to see 'performance school busses'

1) any drag strip, doing the actual racing
2) any race track, doing the actual racing
3) in my yard, sitting

Times are tough when 'the average joe' doesn't know when he is being 'shined' on.
Unless of course you are an 'east coaster'.

Mazda6owner
Gerbil In Training

Tue Dec 17, 2002 9:17 am

It may only have 220 Horse Power 3.0 V6 But with 5 speed the mid and high speed response is phenominal specially after about a couple of thousand miles. And there is not even a hint of fords ownership and the craftsmanship of this car is exemplary. Just check it out for yourself. See the overall review below for more.
Pros:
Exceptional Driving experience. Head turner in Black with the S package. One of the best looking interior. Overall Build Quality. Clearly better overall performance and feel than a Maxima and way better than the Altima(not in intial torque and accelration) but it will be very hard to beat in mid and high end with the 5 speed. Bose system is one of the best ever produced by the company. The subwoofer actually works unike others. Very smooth but exceptionally sporty ride and handling and never Uncomfortable.

Cons:
Low end Torque 120 MPH speed governor but this can be taken off easily.

Overall Review:
Mazda 6 S V6 5 Speed is the best japanese real sport sedan which can actually compete with the European Sedans. Initial acceleration is not as fast as the Maxima, Altima or the new Accord coupe V6 6 speed. But if driven properly it won be left behind either. I also own a new VW Passat V6 and I like this car better over all. I just hate the speed governor at 120 MPH and would like a little more low end torque otherwise I am really happy with the car. Now after a week' s vacations I have 2300 miles on it and I still look for excuses to drive it. To all you Critics please be fair to this car and before writing against it either keep it for some time or test drive for at least a couple of time. I loved the Altima and Maxima both for the longest time and have them in the family as well. After test driving Maxima and Altima several times both with stick shifts fully loaded, I still could not make the decision until the Mazda 6 came out. Believe me just having a more powerful engine will not cut it this time for Altima or Maxima or for any other make. Altima except for initial acceleration in every other respect is definitely not upto the level of refinement of this Mazda. You can however comapre it with the Maxima with the overall build quality. I bought the Mazda 6 S with Speed and all I can say that this car will not disappoint you in the mid and high speeds against a Maxima or Altima. Its just the initial acceleration and Overall Torque that Mazda is short of but the High speed response is way better then either Nissans and always reminds me of my 99 Prelude Highout put Vtec response plus the shifting and clutch action is just awesome and in Handling and over all ride Quality if you like Pure sporty but really comfortable ride This Mazda 6 rules. However if you like more room then there is no doubt that both Nissans offer better room. But Mazda is actually quite spacious too. Plus over all package loaded with everything even heated seats and traction control and a Body Kit the MSRP is around $25500 (I paid $23400 for a fully loaded 6 s model with everything they offer). Just negotiate with the dealer. It will definitely take some time though for people to be convinced to choose a Mazda over Toyota Nissan or a Honda.
Please be fair to this car. You must check it out to believe how refined this car is.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:39 pm

I went ahead and ordered a Mazda6-s with the 5-speed and sport package, the Bose package, black, with black cloth interior. I got a great deal on it. The dealership was actually willing to deal, even though all of the other dealers wanted full MSRP or higher on the car I wanted. The only bad thing is that the car won't be built until the middle of next month. I should take delivery by the beginning of Feburary. At least I have something to look forward to 8)

The Swamp

DiMaestro
Gerbil Elite

Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:05 pm

If all Mazdas were that durable, I'd buy again

As a auto mechanic I can say, yes they are. Almost all of the asian imports are better for repairs than domestic models. Excused from that list are the really cheap imports, Daewoo, Hyundai, etc. But overall I see far fewer imports being repaired than the domestics. However, keep in mind when a import is being repaired it's usually higher than a domestic.

My next car? Accord most likely, if I can find one I like and in my price range.

fink
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 17, 2002 1:23 pm

mrfixitx100 wrote:
I wouldn't get caught dead in a 4 door car.

Insurance for a 4 door is about 2/3 of what it is for a 2 door. A major factor in cany car purchase

My gf's M3's insurance is about $150 month, if it was a 2 door, it would be $225.

Besides, coupes are for ckickens.... :-)

Starfalcon
Gerbilus Supremus

Tue Dec 17, 2002 2:37 pm

I hope you like your new car, good luck with it. I drive a 74 cougar so I do not have too much info about new cars. I am fixing it up right now and getting it repainted this spring. It is a great car with only 15K miles on it, the only thing wrong with it is that it gets like 3mpg or so. I have to put $40 worth of gas in it a week :( At least you will get better milage than my car.

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:04 pm

Freon wrote:

What do you consider well powered? Or high powered? For $21k? What American or European car would compare well to it?

I hope you guys are being sarcastic.

Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. turbocharged 3.8 litre makin about 240 HP. its like 20K Canadian!

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite
Topic Author

Tue Dec 17, 2002 10:16 pm

I wonder how much hp I can get by installing better mufflers and a K&N filter? I have a cocky friend with a '00 V6 Jetta that is just begging for a spanking.

The Swamp

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:20 pm

Generally 10-20 HP depending on the Car, what kinda of mufflers and intake. You will wanna get a cool air intake and get even more. or you could go all out and turbo it :D:D:D

the_silver_bullet24
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:25 pm

you all have to keep in mind, it's not just all HP you should be lookin' at, take a look at the mid-high end Torque eh?

Tip for racing, if you ever are gonna race someone and you got AC, take the belt off. you loose quite a bit of HP from it..

Freon
Gerbil Elite

Wed Dec 18, 2002 1:39 am

the_silver_bullet24 wrote:
Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. turbocharged 3.8 litre makin about 240 HP. its like 20K Canadian!

Here in the states its about US$5k more (base GTP is $26.9k MSRP USD, probably sells around $25k after all those rebates). I don't see how a GTP could be THAT cheap in CA. I even know the GM employee price (friend just bought a '03 GTP) and it's not that cheap, either.

The 6's power to weight ratio is greater (3240 vs about 3700 lbs). And you can't get a manual on a GTP. I highly doubt the GTP can keep up. The blown 3.8 is nice, but not that nice.

A WRX is closer in price to a GTP (STILL $2-3k cheaper), and would spank the GTP for what it is. A heavy midsize sedan. Too many Pontiac commercials for you.

mrfixitx100
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Dec 18, 2002 6:41 am

Exceptional Driving experience. Head turner in Black with the S package. One of the best looking interior. Overall Build Quality. Clearly better overall performance and feel than a Maxima and way better than the Altima(not in intial torque and accelration) but it will be very hard to beat in mid and high end with the 5 speed. Bose system is one of the best ever produced by the company. The subwoofer actually works unike others. Very smooth but exceptionally sporty ride and handling and never Uncomfortable

I think the species is endangered when they turn to 'spin doctors' to tell them which cars to buy.
You could NOT give me a Mazda, never mind the Maxima or Altima,
I guess I'll just stick to my '7'
(govenor free, unless 5th breaks, that will keep it under 120)