Share your chiropractic experiences

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Share your chiropractic experiences

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:55 am

So my girlfriend had terrible headaches -- the kind that she had every day for about 14 months. She tried a lot of different treatments from diet changes to drugs, and saw a couple of neurologists this past year. Nothing worked, so she went to a chiropractor. Three weeks after she began going, her headaches are gone!

I went in with her Monday for my "free consultation," had some x-rays taken, had some muscle tests conducted, and was drilled with questions about my exercise habits. I'm 25, I'm in great shape, I eat well, exercise daily, and never have any back or neck pain. Here's the thing -- according to my test results, I apparently have "serious problems" with my spine. I guess my head leans too far foward and the vertebrea in my neck are too straight because of it. I also have a slight curve in my mid spine.

The chiropractor wants to put me on a six to eight month treatment cycle to fix these problems. After a $500 deductable, my insurance will cover it 100%.

Is this guy just trying to rope me in, or does he think that I will be in pain later in life? Should I be worried about these problems? I'm going to see a different chiropractor who works with the MN Vikings for a second opinion, and I'm thinking about starting yoga as an alternative to chiropractic adjustments. I don't really want to become dependant on a chiropractor to "fix" me, but I also don't want to be a hunchbacked old man.

What are your experiences with chiropractic medicine? Is anyone out there a chiropractor?

Thanks!
torax
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:58 am

While some definitely need it..my personal opinion is that if your not feeling any pain dont go for it. I have know some(family included) who have went for no reason and now almost have to go continually.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.
LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:10 pm

After years of bad head aches and finally numbness and tingling in my right thumb and forefinger, i started going regularly and feeling has been restored and headaches greatly reduced

once a week visits would due everyone some good as when the nervous system can function properly all your other systems work better which should equal less sickness and less visits to a medical doctor for symptomatic treatment.

Chiropractic is preventative from a Gonstead practitioner were the typical physician is reactionary treatment. Dont get me wrong some chiros only treat the symptoms too, but a good one should put you on the road to preventing the sickness. :wink:
pwdrhnd23
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:15 pm

There's still debate over whether or not chiropractic is bonafide treatment or snake oil. To listen to some chiropractors talk, everybody needs it, they just don't know it. Sorry, but when people say things like that, I smell a con.

Personally, if I wasn't in any pain, I wouldn't go, and if I was in pain, I'd look at chiropractic as a last resort instead of my first option.
Molon labe.
Vrock
Gerbil God

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:23 pm

pwdrhnd23 wrote:After years of bad head aches and finally numbness and tingling in my right thumb and forefinger, i started going regularly and feeling has been restored and headaches greatly reduced.

Do you still have to go? LicketySplit's comments worry me and lead me to believe what Vrock brought up with the whole scam thing.
torax
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:46 pm

I believe Chiropractic can be a very valuable form of treatment for specific problems. But I would be wary of Chiros who think they can solve any bodily ailment with a spine adjustment. Yes, the spine is a very central important part of the body from which many ailments may flow, but the converse is not true -- not all bodily problems originate in the spine.
Buub
Maximum Gerbil
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:51 pm

Torax, I have used chiro's a few times in the past. One time, I was in the BWCA and totally wrenched my lower back trying to pick up a REALLY heavy Duluth pack (with a cooler in it). Got to the Chiro. as soon as we could after the trip and after a couple adjustments (4, i think) he really fixed me up. Turned out you could actually see the rotation in one my lower spine bones. Since then, I have been a couple times with similar area pain. You just have to be open with them and tell them straight up "I will call you if I still have pain!" Don't get in the trap of letting them schedule you for another and then another appointment, even if you don't feel you need it.

You are the one with pain - you decide if you need another appointment.

I swear by 'em when you really need 'em. They just want you to keep coming back after they fix you up.

my .02
pmeysemb
Gerbil First Class

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:56 pm

pmeysemb wrote:One time, I was in the BWCA and totally wrenched my lower back trying to pick up a REALLY heavy Duluth pack (with a cooler in it).

I hope that didn't happen at the beginning of your trip! Canoe seats aren't known for their comfort.... :-?
torax
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:58 pm

I am with Lickety 100% on this. If your back is out of place and you can feel it is then go. If your not hurting and dont have any problems stay away. I know several people that HAVE TO GO all the time because the chiropracter screwed there backs up and if they step wrong there back will pop out of place. I have been one time in my life. I had a disc slip out of place in my lower back a few years ago and it was absolutely killing me. I hurt so bad that when I got laid down on the floor i couldnt make it back up onto the couch. I went to the chiropracter and he poped the disc back in place it was instant relief. The guy tried to con me into comming back every week for like 3 months to make sure it was fine. I just told him flat out that the disc was back where it should be and I wouldnt be comming back.

Everytime you hear something snap and pop when a chiropractor its tendons and ligaments doing stuff they aint suppose to do. Do it long enough and you will weaken them hence the reason so many people have to go all the time. So basically my opinion is yes they can be useful if you have something out of place and can tell its out of place. If you feel fine then stay far far away.
Hance
Darth Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:21 pm

I was getting worse and worse headaches almost daily and my neck was popping (aka 'adjusting') on its own. If i could get it to pop 'right,' the headache would go away for a while, but it would definitely come back later. If I couldn't get it to pop, or it popped 'wrong,' the headache would get worse, especially if it popped wrong.

I don't take many painkillers, but I was getting tempted to raid my wife's Vicoden & Darvon supply (story below - also chiropractic) since prescription levels of Advil (4 OTC pills) PLUS Tylenol (Xtra str) wouldn't fade the pain. I went to a chiro and their diagnosis was a reverse curvature of the upper spine. The spine above the shoulders is supposed to curve slightly forward, mine curved back. I had never liked pillows - usually slept with them on top of my head instead of under - and this explained why.

I went regularly for a few weeks and slowly tapered it off. They like to see me monthly to give me a 'tune-up' (his words), and I do go, but I can take time without going easily. Headaches are gone, I can still self-adjust almost at will though I try not to.

I think most people have some level of problem with their back, though most times it does not present any symptoms. Tough choice whether to believe their claims or believe its all a scam. I believe most times they're right on.

Re: My wife. She used to ride horses competitively 25-30 yrs ago. Hunter-jumper, Dressage, steeplechase, etc. She has gone over jumps without the horse, been thrown, etc. and basically disintegrated her coccyx (tailbone). One day 5-6 yrs ago she went to take a shower and stepped on the cat's tail while stepping into the shower (story in and of itself - this cat wouldn't drink from a bowl, it had to be running water) and both feet went out from under her while straddlling the tub. She came down square on what would have been her coccyx, but wasn't...

Turned out she'd fractured the last 3 vertebrate (L4,5&6 IIRC) and blown those 3 discs as well. She refused surgery (the only suggestion 2 different MDs made) as she'd had enough of that (another long story that started when she was 6) and they wanted to fuse all 4 bones (3 vert's and the remains of the coccyx).

After a few more months of pain & muscle relaxers, and being bedridden 24/7 (I had to help her get up to go to the bathroom), we contacted a Chiropractor (She used to work for a Chiro college) and while they recommended surgery too, they did offer the option of extensive therapy that should give her her life back without surgery.

The first adjustment was a miracle. It didn't last, and it was a few more months of daily therapy and adjustments with regular massage therapies before she could function normally, but normal she is. Her back still hurts sometimse, she eventually had steroid injections into the spine to stop the constant pain (that or be on Vicoden/Darvon 24/7), but she can ride horses again, operate the clutch in my car, etc. She still goes for adjustments once every 3 weeks, but is trying to stretch it to 4, and maybe she will succeed.

Mike.
Someone on some other forum wrote:There is a fixed amount of intelligence on the planet, and the population keeps growing.
fishmahn
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:13 pm

Hance wrote:Everytime you hear something snap and pop when a chiropractor its tendons and ligaments doing stuff they aint suppose to do.

Actually it is the fluid in the joint being released, if tendions and ligaments streched that easily you wouldn't be able to lift weights or do anything strenuous.

Muscles stretch however and the reason that once the chiro gets you in the right spot, those muscles are usually stretched from being in the wrong position. If you don't do anything to strengthen and tighten those muscles back up then it will seem like the Dr. has screwed you up.
pwdrhnd23
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:25 pm

If you don't have pain, why would anyone see a doctor? That age old saying comes to mind: "If it aint broke, don't fix it." That being said, I've seen a chiropractor quite a bit. I've been into one for everything from headaches to back pain and usually they do provide some kind of relief.

Most recently, I suffered a herniated disk in my back (L4 I believe it is) and I went to see a chiropractor. I would have seen an MD, but go figure NONE of them are working the day after Christmas.... Anyway, he was able to take some x-rays which pointed to the disk. Turns out the only way confirm a herniated disk is an MRI. The chiropractor got me scheduled for the MRI and looked at the results all before any MDs came back from their Xmas vacations. I still saw my doctor once he was back in the office and followed his advice. The chiropractor never tried to use "alternative methods" or anything. He was clear with me that he was not an MD and I should get into an MD ASAP.

My mom has worked at a chiropractor office for a couple years. Turns out chiropractors receive much of the same training as MDs. Almost the only difference is chiropractors spend less time on delivering babies and all that, while MDs spend less time on reading x-rays and other bone-related junk.
"I take sibling rivalry to the whole next level, if it doesn't require minor sugery or atleast a trip to the ER, you don't love her." - pete_roth
"Yeah, I see why you'd want a good gas whacker then." - VRock
dextrous
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:31 pm

torax wrote:
pwdrhnd23 wrote:After years of bad head aches and finally numbness and tingling in my right thumb and forefinger, i started going regularly and feeling has been restored and headaches greatly reduced.

Do you still have to go? LicketySplit's comments worry me and lead me to believe what Vrock brought up with the whole scam thing.

Before I had started going I was losing "strength" in my right arm, I noticed this during bowling of all this because I was getting very eratic with my aim and the speed of my ball was changing dramitically. I actually tried to do a push up and when i lowered myself down my right arm buckled like it was "asleep".

Normal strength has returned after a few weeks of adjustments.

I still go because the logic of keeping my nervous system in tune makes sense to me. And because its free until the end of the year. :)

I do know that I would get more out of it if I would workout to strengthen the bad areas of my back, but the whole workin out thing is a hard habit to start for me.
pwdrhnd23
Gerbil XP

Return to The Back Porch