Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Re: Gun prOn!

Fri May 16, 2014 6:25 pm

Welch wrote:
I'm curious to see if ammo prices will go back in line where it should be according to the current economy once production picks back up. Hopefully its not another WD/Seagate hard drive price fiasco :o

Professional cynic here (comes with the day job), but if people bought it at X why would the producer leave the marginal profit on the table by selling it at 0.9X?

From a strict economic perspective (hey, haven't used that degree in 30 years!) it appears that the price of ammo is demand-inelastic, so producers have no incentives to lower prices. This will certainly change as the ammo market comes back into equilibrium, but to expect a manufacturer to not take advantage of short-term mispricings is silly.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri May 16, 2014 8:22 pm

From a strict economic perspective (hey, haven't used that degree in 30 years!) it appears that the price of ammo is demand-inelastic, so producers have no incentives to lower prices.

Not at all sure hta'ts correct. Once I have my stash and can go to the range for a year or so without worrying about it, I quit buying unless it's cheap. My suspicion is that there's a threshold where there's some people that'll mortgage their house to buy bullets, but most of us won't, particularly after we have a few hundred rounds.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri May 16, 2014 9:30 pm

2" groups at 25 yards is considered excellent for the 1911 platform.

I disapprove of mass ammo buying, because the people who buy it don't shoot it. That creates artificial demand, artificial supply shortages, and very real price increases that don't ever go away.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri May 16, 2014 10:04 pm

but...I *like* to shoot a lot of ammo!

It's fun, it goes bang, I get to enjoy myself....it's all a lot of fun.

Plus, oh goodness, it's cheaper per round.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat May 17, 2014 5:30 am

Well if you're shooting, not hoarding, then you're not a part of the problem.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Sat May 17, 2014 6:00 am

I have not priced ammo lately, but I think the real test of whether or not the Great Ammo Buying Panic of 2012 is truly over is the availability of .22LR. With all of the crazy proposed legislation either dying or long-since dead, it seems all of the panic buying should be over by now, or dwindling down fast. It would be nice to be able to shoot again and it not break the bank.
I wish I had gone to med school.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat May 17, 2014 10:54 am

.22 is the only thing I haven't been seeing back in stock regularly. Everything else seems to be though. Hell, Academy here has 400 and 500 packs of .223 sitting on the shelves (but it's Monarch and I've had bad luck with their handgun ammo).

I don't know if it's because .22 is cheaper and smaller so people hoard more of it, or maybe manufacturers reduced production to focus on higher margin centerfires, or what the deal is. I don't shoot it myself but it's a great go-to Christmas/birthday gift for some of my friends and family so I keep track a little.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sun May 18, 2014 9:29 am

Vrock wrote:
I prefer USGI aluminum mags for ARs myself.
I use 'em too, but only because they're the only mags that are interchangeable with my FS2000. PMAGS are great magazines, but they don't fit in the FN.

Vrock wrote:
Hey Paul, invest in some stripper clips and a guide. Ebay usually has them for around 10 bucks. Makes loading a 30 round magazine fast and easy.

My suggest is to get a LULA (Loader Unloader). I have a couple of these and they are fantastic at loading magazines. And if for some bizarre reason you wish to unload your magazine in the non-traditional way, you just flip the mag over and run the lever.

I was on vacation in Missouri this past week and the wife and I did our traditional anniversary celebration: we went to the range. Big props to Sound of Freedom Arms in Ozark, Missouri, as you pay a rental fee and buy a box of ammo and they let you shoot everything that they have in that caliber. So I was able to quickly compare a Glock 30, S&W M&P, Springfield XDM and a Ruger SR1911.

The Glock is a Glock, of course of course. The M&P was okay, but the trigger was a bit heavy and the capacity was smaller than I was expecting. Sights were good. I was a bit surprised, as people have been recommending the pistol to me for years. The XDM was quite nice. They've made some improvements to the platform since I owned one (and I kind of forgot how many features they've crammed into 'em). The Ruger was okay for a 1911 platform. Two of the grip screws were coming loose and as the shop dude was tightening them up, he mentioned that their Rugers have been walking screws out. It shot quite well, but I would want to get some work done on the trigger. For a 1911, the trigger was pretty stiff. It was crisp, but it could lose a few ounces easily.

As always, trigger time is happy time.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun May 18, 2014 9:53 am

I had a hard time finding the aluminium ones for cheap, but I can get basic magpul mags for 11 bucks at the local shop.

I'd figured the USGI mags would be all over but they weren't. I found some 10 rounders, but at the same price I can get 30s. If I wanted more than 3 magazines I might have got them anyway...but I've got my 3 magpuls so that's good enough for now. I don't understand buying a 10 or 20 pack of magazines for myself but I've seen people do it.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun May 18, 2014 5:22 pm

Cdnnsports.com has USGI AR mags for $10 a piece.
http://www.cdnnsports.com/magazines/ar1 ... 3kzC_HD_cc

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon May 19, 2014 1:52 pm

If I need more I'll use those :) But I think 3 is enough for the immediate future.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed May 21, 2014 8:29 pm

new grips. No functional purpose but they're prettier :)

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu May 22, 2014 6:40 am

Nothing sexier than a 1911.....regardless of brand. :wink:

(And yet somehow I still dont own one.... :( )
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu May 22, 2014 9:27 am

Everyone needs one, in 38 super or .45. Great fun to shoot!

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Thu May 22, 2014 3:35 pm

Wood grips look better/sexier on revolvers. Heck, revolvers look sexier, period. :D

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri May 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Too bad revolvers are such a niche market these days. I wish Colt would get back into the double action revolver game. Alas, high quality revolvers require craftsmanship, and nobody wants to pay for craftsmen these days when they can get a plastic fantastic with a 90 round "clip" for $450.

Ruger still makes a decent double action revolver for decent prices, and there's Smith and Wesson, but their lineup isn't the same as it used to be, and isn't as expertly fit and finished either.

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri May 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Ruger discontinued their Blackhawk Hunters for several years but they re-started production some time ago and I still see new units in display cases. Not a lot of interest in those pistols but my eyes are attracted to them every time they are on display. The non-fluted cylinder and rosewood grips are a natural draw for my eyes. The laminated grips seem kinda odd on what looks like a period piece. :-?

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Fri May 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Vrock wrote:
Semi-automatic handgun with a 90 round "clip" for $450.
Is that a bit unwieldy to carry around? :wink:

P.S.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-o3p4ZMtE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmrggqzwhFc&t=04s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnN0s1G2ZzA&t=04s
Last edited by JustAnEngineer on Fri May 23, 2014 7:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Fri May 23, 2014 6:46 pm

I never see their double action ones around here, just the single action ones. They're nice shooters though...but damn, .357 is pricey to shoot.

It's sitll on my someday list though

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat May 24, 2014 10:56 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
Vrock wrote:
Plastic fantastic with a 90 round "clip" for $450.
Is that a bit unwieldy to carry around? :wink:

P.S.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-o3p4ZMtE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmrggqzwhFc&t=04s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnN0s1G2ZzA&t=04s

Yup, that about sums up GLOCK shooters and pistols: quantity over quality.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat May 24, 2014 11:39 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:

I never did understand the fascination with the giggle switch (well, other than the gov't saying "no, you can't have it"). One accurate round seems to be so much more useful than 10 inaccurate ones. That said, a three round burst has much to recommend it.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat May 24, 2014 12:40 pm

I agree, except for your comments on the three round burst. It's a "feature" that caters to the lowest common denominator; the only purpose it serves is to keep dumb 18 year old Privates from emptying a magazine with one trigger pull. I would prefer to have control of the weapon vs. it having control over me.

Thebolt
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat May 24, 2014 12:48 pm

I've never used the 3 round burst except when we were burning off ammo that needed to be fired before departing the range.. I've never seen it legitimately used in training. I have heard that it was intended for use when firing from a moving platform and I can see that being true but I have nothing to back it up.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat May 24, 2014 6:34 pm

IMO full auto fire from an individual weapon is really only useful when you're trying to suppress the enemy so you can move. The three shot burst disconnector makes this more difficult. If I was still in, I'd buy a $13 full auto disconnector and swap the part out on my issue weapon. Most armorers would never notice.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue May 27, 2014 11:45 am

Needing a decent-not-too expensive optic for the AR. My eyes don't handle iron sights anymore past ~50 yards (and even that is pushing it). I'm not sure if there are good red dots with like a 2x mulitplier or maybe I should just go with a basic 4x weaver. Anyone done experimenting here? I don't plan to push this any further than 100 yards. The things a range toy basically....

durt_b1ker
Gerbil

Tue May 27, 2014 1:24 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Needing a decent-not-too expensive optic for the AR. My eyes don't handle iron sights anymore past ~50 yards (and even that is pushing it). I'm not sure if there are good red dots with like a 2x mulitplier or maybe I should just go with a basic 4x weaver. Anyone done experimenting here? I don't plan to push this any further than 100 yards. The things a range toy basically....

PrimaryArms 1-4 and 1-6 are very good for a reasonable price. Fixed 4x optics will either be cheaper or slightly clearer for same money. I have a 1-6 and I dig it. Good from 50~400yds.

They also sell a durable affordable red dot for under 100, and a basic but solid 3x magnifier and swing mount.

durt_b1ker
Gerbil

Tue May 27, 2014 2:16 pm

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue May 27, 2014 5:17 pm

Vrock wrote:
I agree, except for your comments on the three round burst. It's a "feature" that caters to the lowest common denominator; the only purpose it serves is to keep dumb 18 year old Privates from emptying a magazine with one trigger pull. I would prefer to have control of the weapon vs. it having control over me.

I bow to your experience. I like the idea of a home defense weapon that will do the nasty work of riding the trigger reset for me, but not climb to the point where I'm shooting the ceiling. At ranges of < 50 feet, I think it would be useful. An MP5 with a 3-round selector would be ideal, IMHO. I'm going to shoot the bastard multiple times anyway. This will just save me some time.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue May 27, 2014 6:01 pm

Darkmage wrote:
An MP5 with a 3-round selector would be ideal, IMHO. I'm going to shoot the bastard multiple times anyway. This will just save me some time.

Wielding an MP5 shorty at a home invader would likely result in an instant departure through the nearest opening while leaving behind the odor of cow meadow.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue May 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Hey durt biker, what's the make/specs on the stainless steel barreled upper you've got there?