Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: Gun prOn!

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:07 am

Last I had a vision exam, I was 20/20 in both eyes. You shouldn't really "see" the target anyway when shooting with iron sights. You're supposed to focus on the front sight and let the target go fuzzy.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:47 am

Black Applesauce wrote:
Anyone know a place where I could get a sick paint job on a .44 magnum.
You mean like this?

paulWTAMU wrote:
If and when I get a semi-auto, I want to get something with a good mount for a low power fixed magnification optic; the problem is that looking around it looks like those are *more* expensive than variable power scopes. :-? but 4x was enough for me out to 100 yards with a .22 and my 30-30.
Heh. I've been drooling over some $2k Nightforce scopes. It seems everything is getting both cooler and more expensive.

Some of them are definitely pricey. But there are bargains if you don't insist on using the same stuff used by active duty troops. Not everyone needs an ACOG.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:34 am

Last I had a vision exam, I was 20/20 in both eyes. You shouldn't really "see" the target anyway when shooting with iron sights. You're supposed to focus on the front sight and let the target go fuzzy.

The problem is the iron sights I've tried, with both my 30-30 and my .22, I can't really see when I'm focusing. It's hard to explain, but the front post gets hazy, and kind of blurry. The guys at Appleseed had me try on one that they'd put on a Remington .22 that was marked--they didn't tell me it was notched and I could not tell while shooting. It may be a glasses thing--maybe I just need bifocals now? But I can still read OK at close range--my monitor is about 18" from me and I can see what I'm typing all right.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:44 pm

Vrock wrote:
Buub wrote:
I'm thinking of picking up an AR-15. I am not going to spend extravagantly. Just start out with the basics and build on it.

Anything I should pay particular attention to? Anything I should make sure I avoid?

Best/worst brands for this approach?

[R&P content edited. --JBI]

Don't buy now. Prices are ridiculous at the moment. Wait. These rifles will be available later for less. Brand matters little. Features you want are a 4150 cmv steel barrel. Cold hammer forged types are supposed to be better, but I've not seen this true in practice. 4140 barrels are okay but may not last as long/function as well under rapid fire conditions. I prefer a A3 style flattop receiver with a fixed front iron sight. Chrome lined barrels make cleaning much easier and increase barrel life but supposedly have a marginal effect on accuracy. Again, I've not seen any appreciable difference in practice at 100 yards. Get a M16 type bolt carrier if you can, but if you can't a AR15 type is fine. Magpul accessories are nice when you're thinking of upgrading. 20" barrels have measurably better ballistics than 16" barrels. Avoid 14.5" barrels with welded flash hiders; velocity and flexibility suffers. Optics are nice but not necessary and overrated in my opinion. I hit 300 meter man sized targets without them routinely when I served, and I'm only a Sharpshooter with the platform.

My experience waiting out the last shortage based on "current events" with ammo was that it took a few years before the market recovered and became relatively sane again.

My worry is that, assuming things don't actually get worse, it will take another few years before the market finally unclenches and things return to normal. I don't want to be caught flat-footed waiting for that to happen if things turn bad in the interim.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
The problem is the iron sights I've tried, with both my 30-30 and my .22, I can't really see when I'm focusing. It's hard to explain, but the front post gets hazy, and kind of blurry. The guys at Appleseed had me try on one that they'd put on a Remington .22 that was marked--they didn't tell me it was notched and I could not tell while shooting. It may be a glasses thing--maybe I just need bifocals now? But I can still read OK at close range--my monitor is about 18" from me and I can see what I'm typing all right.

So When I was in Basic some eons ago, I wore the military glasses but when it came to Qualify the Drill SGT let me wear my contacts. Even then I had the same problem as you with the front post on the iron sights getting hazy especially at the 180+ targets. I talked with the Drill SGT, who was also a trained sniper and he came up with a very easy solution for this........I rubbed chalk onto the front post. It made it a day glow sight. With practice It made everything easier. Needless to say Expert was easy mode for me on qualification day. Even on Active duty I used this trick on the M16 and M4, although when they started fielding in the M4 with the ACOG it wasnt needed.

They now make colored sight posts and Fiberoptic ones, that solve this problem. And they are cheap. link
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:15 pm

I've been looking at buying my first gun. It will be used for range shooting and home defense, not carrying. I've been leaning toward a Glock G17 because it seems like a good combination of quality, reliability, and price. I have a few questions that you gerbils who have been buying firearms for years will probably be able to answer.

1.) I have heard that gun and ammo prices have been significantly higher in the last few months. Should I wait to purchase my gun? If so, how long should I expect to wait before prices go back down to where they were?

2.) I plan to buy my gun at a local gun store. I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, so there is a gun store on every corner it seems. Should I negotiate on price when I'm purchasing my gun or is the price they say the price I get?

3.) Is the G17 a good idea or should I choose something else?

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by TurtlePerson2 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:36 pm

What makes you favor the 17 over the 19? Or the 23?

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:37 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
I've been looking at buying my first gun. It will be used for range shooting and home defense, not carrying. I've been leaning toward a Glock G17 because it seems like a good combination of quality, reliability, and price. I have a few questions that you gerbils who have been firearms for years will probably be able to answer.

1.) I have heard that gun and ammo prices have been significantly higher in the last few months. Should I wait to purchase my gun? If so, how long should I expect to wait before prices go back down to where they were?

2.) I plan to buy my gun at a local gun store. I live in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, so there is a gun store on every corner it seems. Should I negotiate on price when I'm purchasing my gun or is the price they say the price I get?

3.) Is the G17 a good idea or should I choose something else?

Thanks for any help!

The Glock G17 is a good gun, not something I would get (Glock's angled grips just don't work for me) but they are nice craftsmenship (as all Glocks are). Ammo and Gun prices are high right now, that is correct. There are many good deals you can find out there, just don't buy it off something like gunbroker as you will be overcharged. I just bought a pistol from budsgunshop and the price was $90 below MSRP and gunbroker, so the deals are still out there. You can attempt to negotiate a price, but it is a seller's market and unless you are trading something in most will shrug off the attempt. My suggestion would be to make sure you hold a lot of different "possibilities" before you buy anything. From there, choose an ammo type. 9mm is great but that is the #1 hardest round to find right now, and that situation could last up to 6 months (or even a year) if previous ammo shortages are being used as examples. I find that all other types of ammo besides 9mm can be found, just going to be marked up a bit. Hope this helped!

TurtlePerson2
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:50 pm

JustAnEngineer wrote:

The G19 is a compact pistol, I was leaning toward the G17 because it is full size. From what I understand, compact pistols have higher recoil and are intended more for concealed carrying (something I don't intend to do anytime soon). The G23 is also a compact pistol and it is chambered for .40 instead of 9mm. From what I understand, .40 is normally more expensive than 9mm.

StuG wrote:
The Glock G17 is a good gun, not something I would get (Glock's angled grips just don't work for me) but they are nice craftsmenship (as all Glocks are). Ammo and Gun prices are high right now, that is correct. There are many good deals you can find out there, just don't buy it off something like gunbroker as you will be overcharged. I just bought a pistol from budsgunshop and the price was $90 below MSRP and gunbroker, so the deals are still out there. You can attempt to negotiate a price, but it is a seller's market and unless you are trading something in most will shrug off the attempt. My suggestion would be to make sure you hold a lot of different "possibilities" before you buy anything. From there, choose an ammo type. 9mm is great but that is the #1 hardest round to find right now, and that situation could last up to 6 months (or even a year) if previous ammo shortages are being used as examples. I find that all other types of ammo besides 9mm can be found, just going to be marked up a bit. Hope this helped!

Thanks for the information. I looked at the S&W M&P and liked what I saw, but it seemed that the Glock had it beat in almost every way and was cheaper as well. I think what I may do is handle a few different choices at the gun store to see if the Glock is right for me. I've heard that it's a love-it or hate-it sort of thing.

Even with increased ammo prices, what I've been seeing online is that 9mm is still cheaper than .40. I could purchase a pistol chambered for .22, but that caliber doesn't seem like something I'd want my life depending on.
"TORTURIS EXUVIAS EUNT"
Phenom X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
XFX Radeon RX 580

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:10 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
JustAnEngineer wrote:

The G19 is a compact pistol, I was leaning toward the G17 because it is full size. From what I understand, compact pistols have higher recoil and are intended more for concealed carrying (something I don't intend to do anytime soon). The G23 is also a compact pistol and it is chambered for .40 instead of 9mm. From what I understand, .40 is normally more expensive than 9mm.

StuG wrote:

Thanks for the information. I looked at the S&W M&P and liked what I saw, but it seemed that the Glock had it beat in almost every way and was cheaper as well. I think what I may do is handle a few different choices at the gun store to see if the Glock is right for me. I've heard that it's a love-it or hate-it sort of thing.

Even with increased ammo prices, what I've been seeing online is that 9mm is still cheaper than .40. I could purchase a pistol chambered for .22, but that caliber doesn't seem like something I'd want my life depending on.

I would look at some of the following:

Glock 17
S&W M&P
H&K P30
CZ 75B
Ruger SR
Springfield XD
Beretta 92FS
Sig Sauer P226

Those are some off the top of my head. Currently I own a Walther P1 (9mm) and a Jericho 942/Baby Eagle II (.40 S&W). The Jericho 942 is probably 80% related to the CZ 75B and gets a lot of it's good qualities from that pistol. Personally if you are not looking to conceal the weapon at anytime I would suggest getting a full-size and something full-metal. I have grown to enjoy these pistols much better than their polymer brethren, just the feeling in your hand is nice and the shooting is easier on you. Everything is about taste personally, so spending some time with different models and styles is the best. I would not suggest getting a Walther P1, it is a crap shoot for if you get a good one (when it comes to accuracy). If I had to do it all over again, I would get the Beretta 92FS as my 9mm choice (as I want to get 1 of the 4 major calibers eventually). When it comes to .22LR you shouldn't be giving your life to it, but it is not something to overlook. They can offer you massive amounts of experience and range time on the cheap, and are a gun enthusiast's main weapon in keeping their shooting skills up to snuff. A .22LR pistol will be my next purchase most likely.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:34 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:
The G19 is a compact pistol, I was leaning toward the G17 because it is full size. From what I understand, compact pistols have higher recoil and are intended more for concealed carrying (something I don't intend to do anytime soon).
I thought that the "subcompact" models like the G26 were the concealed carry choices.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:11 am

JustAnEngineer wrote:
I thought that the "subcompact" models like the G26 were the concealed carry choices.
Yes and no. The subcompacts (G26, G27, G30, G36, etc.) or "micro-Glocks" are definitely geared towards concealed carry. They're almost holdout pistol sized. But the midsized Glocks (G19, G23, etc.) are also decent concealed carry weapons. They're still known as the "compact" level of Glocks. Before the micro-Glocks came on the scene, the G19 was designed for plainclothes officers, IIRC.

The micro-Glocks are a direct result of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Lazier_Said
Gerbil

Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:09 pm

TurtlePerson2 wrote:

Compact is relative, the G19 (/23/32) is smaller than the 17 but still quite big enough to get your whole hand on. 9mm recoil is negligible until you get down to pocket guns too small to fit your fingers on. .40 has a bit of a snap to it with some loads but nothing inappropriate for a G23 sized frame - again, it's not small.

9mm is almost always significantly cheaper than .40 but even before the panic it still hasn't been cheap since before the commodity bubble 10 years ago. At 10 bucks a box for even the cheapest centerfire a .22 pays for itself pretty quickly. That's fueled an explosion in .22 clones and conversion kits. Tacsol makes a great .22 Glock upper. CZ sells a factory .22 upper for the CZ75 that StuG mentioned - my favorite 9mm. Sig will sell you a .22 upper for the 226. Walther builds a M&P clone in 22. I don't know about the rest of StuG's list but it wouldn't surprise me if there were more.

I wouldn't be without a .22 pistol and if I could only have one it'd be a .22. Guns are for shooting and at 4c a pop you'll shoot a lot more and a lot better.

Darkmage wrote:
The micro-Glocks are a direct result of the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.

They're more the result of liberalization of carry laws at the state level, prior to that there was no point to building carry guns when the market began and ended with a few undercover cops.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:40 am

Lazier_Said wrote:
They're more the result of liberalization of carry laws at the state level, prior to that there was no point to building carry guns when the market began and ended with a few undercover cops.
I disagree. The flow of events went from a magazine limit of 10 rounds to seeing how small a pistol you could make and still have a 10 round capacity. It's not a coincidence the Glock 26 was released a year after the AWB went into effect.

Secondly, a lot of law enforcement agencies issue the Glock 19 as the regular duty weapon instead of the Glock 17. I know a few organizations offered a choice of 17 or 19 depending on preference. There was more than enough market in the regular uniformed population to keep the G19 selling well.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:09 pm

My wife and I are scheduled to take a long range precision rifle class in May. Since we didn't own anything that can accurately hit things at 700 yards, I got to go shopping. It took a few months, but after a lot of research and some stalking around on forums and Gunbroker, we have new members of the family!

First up, my new reach-out-and-touch-someone rifle: HS Precision HTR in .308.
I had to buy a new scope for it, too. That's a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 sitting on top.

For SWMBO, this was an interesting challenge. As regular readers are aware, my wife has two medical devices implanted in her chest. Due to their location, this makes it difficult for her to shoulder a rifle properly and makes her very sensitive to felt recoil. So the challenge was to find a caliber & rifle that could accurately reach out to 1,000 yards without smacking her around too badly. I know she's okay with her M4 clone, so the .223 recoil is acceptable... but it doesn't have the range.

So the solution I hit upon was to have a slightly more powerful cartridge in a much heavier rifle. Gunbroker delivered one for a really excellent price in the form of a Savage 110 with a Choate Ultimate Varminter stock and some kind of aftermarket trigger. It shoots .243 caliber which, at least on paper, has only slightly more recoil than a .223.
SWMBO has named it "Frank". And Frank is a heavy SOB.

With the crappy weather lately, we haven't been able to get these out to the range just yet. I'll report back once we do. Right now, they just look pretty. :)

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:15 pm

Wouldn't you know it, but right after I put a bid on the auction that would eventually lead Frank to our door, I found... something special. If I hadn't already put a bid in, I would have gone this route. Just so that everyone else at the range would look at SWMBO and go "oooooh!"

I post this here just so we can all look at the artistry. It's a custom target rifle in .243 Winchester. Single shot with an adjustable hand stop. And all kinds of love built into it.

It's being sold out of a gun shop in Louisiana. It's still up for auction if anyone's interested. :)

BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:19 pm

That looks nice. I wonder what the weight is.

Sam125
Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:31 pm

StuG wrote:

Glock 17
S&W M&P
H&K P30
CZ 75B
Ruger SR
Springfield XD
Beretta 92FS
Sig Sauer P226

I'd change the CZ75B to the newer BD model, the Sig Sauer to the P220 and add the FN 5-7 to the list. The H&K P30 is a good choice IMO. I can't comment on the American guns as I'm more of a fan of European pistols. (Although since I live in non-rural California I'd never buy a gun. Although a range rental for a day would be OK IMO. :P)

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:42 pm

My father has an awesome .22LR competition-grade thumbhole-stock target rifle. He's left-handed. I am not. Same goes for his gorgeous Rem 700 custom-shop deer rifle in 7MM Rem Mag. Left-hand bolt. Shooting a 7MM Rem Mag with the bolt knob in line and a few inches from your nose is not a Good Idea.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Sam125
Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:17 pm

The cool thing about the CZ75 is you can replace the barrel and turn it into a cheap-to-fire .22 plinking pistol. If you have a .22 rifle then you can stick to buying one type of ammo. :D

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:27 pm

Sam125 wrote:
StuG wrote:

Glock 17
S&W M&P
H&K P30
CZ 75B
Ruger SR
Springfield XD
Beretta 92FS
Sig Sauer P226

I'd change the CZ75B to the newer BD model, the Sig Sauer to the P220 and add the FN 5-7 to the list. The H&K P30 is a good choice IMO. I can't comment on the American guns as I'm more of a fan of European pistols. (Although since I live in non-rural California I'd never buy a gun. Although a range rental for a day would be OK IMO. :P)

Good point on the BD model. Why the 220 over 226? FN 5-7 is way too pricey for what you get.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Why on Earth would anyone prefer the CZ-75 BD model over the B? The B model allows you to either decock (manually) and fire the first shot double action, or carry cocked and locked a la 1911 style. The BD is decocker only. Go with the B model and decide which method suits you best. I've personally never been able to get over that first long trigger pull followed by a series of short pulls.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Sam125 wrote:
The cool thing about the CZ75 is you can replace the barrel and turn it into a cheap-to-fire .22 plinking pistol

Since when? You can buy the Kadet .22 adapter kit for ~$350 and do this, but it's an entire slide assembly, not just a barrel.

Sam125
Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:46 pm

StuG wrote:
Sam125 wrote:
StuG wrote:

Glock 17
S&W M&P
H&K P30
CZ 75B
Ruger SR
Springfield XD
Beretta 92FS
Sig Sauer P226

Good point on the BD model. Why the 220 over 226? FN 5-7 is way too pricey for what you get.

The P220 mainly because it can be chambered for the .45ACP round. The FN 5-7 is definitely pricey but for home defense it seems very decent IMO. It has almost no recoil which makes up follow up shots easier to land, the 5.7 expels most of it's kinetic energy upon initial penetration so there's less of a chance of the round exiting the assailant and then penetrating the wall behind him, it has an extremely flat trajectory out to ~1000 ft so it's surprisingly accurate short to medium range, ammo is fairly cheap now, and it scares gun fearing politicians. lol (I've been doing my research in case I ever do want to buy a gun. :wink: )

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:21 pm

Sam125 wrote:
... it has an extremely flat trajectory out to ~1000 ft so it's surprisingly accurate short to medium range, ...
300 yards is "medium range" for a pistol? In my experience, pistol trajectories don't get affected by drop much. There's not enough time.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:30 pm

Darkmage wrote:
Sam125 wrote:
... it has an extremely flat trajectory out to ~1000 ft so it's surprisingly accurate short to medium range, ...
300 yards is "medium range" for a pistol? In my experience, pistol trajectories don't get affected by drop much. There's not enough time.

I'd be happy to group within 3" at 300yd with my Remington Model 760 in .270 Win.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Sam125
Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Darkmage wrote:
Sam125 wrote:

That stat is probably mainly for hunters who would want to shoot small game with it. The 5-7 is somewhat special in that after 1000ft it loses most of it's kinetic energy so it's not a dangerous round except in close quarters situations. Plus I've been told that big rounds like the .45 have a noticeable drop in trajectory from a thousand feet out due to being a lower velocity round and air friction.
Last edited by Sam125 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:45 pm

Sam125 wrote:
StuG wrote:
Sam125 wrote:

The P220 mainly because it can be chambered for the .45ACP round. The FN 5-7 is definitely pricey but for home defense it seems very decent IMO. It has almost no recoil which makes up follow up shots easier to land, the 5.7 expels most of it's kinetic energy upon initial penetration so there's less of a chance of the round exiting the assailant and then penetrating the wall behind him, it has an extremely flat trajectory out to ~1000 ft so it's surprisingly accurate short to medium range, ammo is fairly cheap now, and it scares gun fearing politicians. lol (I've been doing my research in case I ever do want to buy a gun. :wink: )

True. I didn't think the 45ACP was the round the person I was talking too was all that interested in. In regards to the B vs BD model, I honestly don't know. I haven't done enough research into it to say one way or another...just kinda took your word for it. I still couldn't bring myself to recommend the FN 5-7. Anyone would tell you the best gun to use for self defense is the gun you are practiced on. Given proprietary/expensive ammo the FN 5-7 shoots, I don't see that happening. I will take a familiar gun with worse specs than a better gun that I hardly ever get to shoot. I think most people would agree with that sentiment.

Sam125
Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:00 pm

StuG wrote:
True. I didn't think the 45ACP was the round the person I was talking too was all that interested in. In regards to the B vs BD model, I honestly don't know. I haven't done enough research into it to say one way or another...just kinda took your word for it. I still couldn't bring myself to recommend the FN 5-7. Anyone would tell you the best gun to use for self defense is the gun you are practiced on. Given proprietary/expensive ammo the FN 5-7 shoots, I don't see that happening. I will take a familiar gun with worse specs than a better gun that I hardly ever get to shoot. I think most people would agree with that sentiment.

Ah, fair enough. Yeah I haven't really looked into the CZ75 (other than its reputation of being a solid pistol) much other than to note that the BD was able to be half cocked and de-cocked safely which the B model apparently lacked or something to that effect. Also, you'd be surprised about the 5-7 ammo cost! A box of SS197 ammo can be bought for ~$25 now which seems very reasonable to me.

StuG
Graphmaster Gerbil

Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:42 pm

Sam125 wrote:
StuG wrote:

Ah, fair enough. Yeah I haven't really looked into the CZ75 (other than its reputation of being a solid pistol) much other than to note that the BD was able to be half cocked and de-cocked safely which the B model apparently lacked or something to that effect. Also, you'd be surprised about the 5-7 ammo cost! A box of SS197 ammo can be bought for ~$25 now which seems very reasonable to me.

I guess that isn't too bad. How many is in a box, 50? Also I have 2 Jericho 942's (one in 9mm, one in 40S&W) which are both heavily based off the CZ75, though not exact clones after a day at the range with my first one. Boy, do I love those pistols. I originally only intended on getting one, but got rid of my other pistol to pick up a second one. Would love to get one in 45ACP when I have the money.