Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:58 pm

Nice Buub!

Are those Novaks? I really like those "bushingless" bull barrels!

Not nearly as compact or custumized as Buub's....but here's my newest:

Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:51 pm

That's awesoem looking - Reminds of the Ballers used in hitman :lol:

I've been using lots of different weapons in class and recently learned a lot about disarming guns from people, as well as using them non lethally and now I want one. I need a knife too :D

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:56 pm

LfK, that's just the standard bits on the the CDP. It comes with rosewood grips and the 4" bushingless barrel. (Well, the Pro is a 4", the Ultra is a 3", and then there's the standard 5".) I have a 3" .45 1911 as well, but the kick is just too violent to get a quick, accurate follow-up shot after the first. The 4" barrel is a compromise for me -- still somewhat compact for carry, but not so short that I can't get off two shots accurately and quickly.

I have since added Pacmayr "Legend" grips (rubber front with rosewood back sections).

It looks like you have some Hogue grips on yours? I shot a friend's Sig with Hogue grips and I got some really excellent groupings. I was actually a bit amazed. Still, I prefer the trigger action on a 1911, so that's what I've stuck with myself.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:02 pm

Buub wrote:
It looks like you have some Hogue grips on yours? I shot a friend's Sig with Hogue grips and I got some really excellent groupings. I was actually a bit amazed. Still, I prefer the trigger action on a 1911, so that's what I've stuck with myself.
Yes, it also came w/ the factory plastic set.

I prefer the 1911 trigger too....but "cocked and locked" (though arguably just as safe as any other option) has always made me feel a little funny when carrying concealed. That first double action (or DAO) squeeze makes me more comfortable.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:25 pm

So here's a pic with the Pacmayr grips, my Kramer carry holster (FBI tilt [i.e. aggressive forward tilt]), and my carry mags, Chip McCormick Power Mags.

I really like Wilson Combat mags, but the Chip McCormick mags are really well-built magazines for a lot less money. I gotta save money somewhere on this rig!

This pic is approximately 1800 rounds old. Yeah it's been many times, but it needs to be cleaned again. It's been carried and target shot since the last time it was cleaned.

Last edited by Buub on Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:33 pm

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
Buub wrote:
Yes, it also came w/ the factory plastic set.

I prefer the 1911 trigger too....but "cocked and locked" (though arguably just as safe as any other option) has always made me feel a little funny when carrying concealed. That first double action (or DAO) squeeze makes me more comfortable.

I would have thought so too, just thinking about it academically. But in reality, I'm quite comfortable and used to the way a 1911 SA works. Plus, I've seen a Kimber 1911 dropped on a concrete parking lot twice, locked and loaded, and it did not misfire. (Not mine, fortunately!)

Still, nothing wrong with a DA if that's what fits your needs best.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Added an Eotech + Aimpoint 3x to the Bushmaster:

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:44 pm

So it's not as fancy as some of the above guns, but here's what I got myself for Christmas.

Savage 110FXP in 270 Winchester with a Simmons 3-9x40 scope. Should take down anything I want to shoot around here. Not sure about the scope yet. It'll probably get upgraded pretty quick if I don't like it.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:31 pm

EDIT:

I went in today and got myself a wonderful Rossi .357. I don't have a photobucket account or anything similar, and my upload speeds suck anyway. So, make do with the manufacturers website's pic:
new gun!

tsoulier
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:30 pm

Jebus wrote:
So it's not as fancy as some of the above guns, but here's what I got myself for Christmas.

Savage 110FXP in 270 Winchester with a Simmons 3-9x40 scope. Should take down anything I want to shoot around here. Not sure about the scope yet. It'll probably get upgraded pretty quick if I don't like it.

I had a scope like that myself and really they are pretty nice. I think mine was x44 thou , still no problems with it.
Core I7 2600K @ 4.6 | Asrock P67 Extreme 4 | 16 gig Corsair | EVGA Superclocked GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro SSD | Seasonic X-850 W

Phenom II 940 @ 3.6 | Gigabyte MA78G-DS3HP | 2x2 gig G-Skill dr2 800 | 500 W Seasonic | WD 640 HDD | EVGA GTX 570

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:49 pm

tsoulier wrote:
I had a scope like that myself and really they are pretty nice. I think mine was x44 thou , still no problems with it.
+1

Nice rifle Jebus!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:08 pm

I thought I'd just roll this into the gun thread rather than make a new one...I'm trying to decide where/how to carry the pistol I just got. Any suggestions on holsters/rigs etc? It's 26 oz. so it isn't huge but it's not exactly a feather either.

The Swamp
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:45 pm

I'll post my guns...

I have a Springfield Armory XD .45 and a Taurus PT100 .40

I bought the XD today at the new Cabella's near my house. Can't wait to shoot it for the first time. Behold:

I wish I had gone to med school.

Jebus
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:28 pm

tsoulier wrote:

Good to hear. I have yet to get out and sight it in, but I really can't wait. Today was the last deer season of the year. Have to wait on that til next year. But I'm gonna try to go coyote hunting with some guys from work.
I was married in an online fantasy game once. We thought about having children, but it would severely drain my power crystals.

- Comic Book Guy

Hance
Darth Gerbil

Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:28 pm

I had a simmons scope probably 15 years ago and had problems with it. On small caliber stuff it was fine but on a gun with any amount of recoil it drifted all over the place. You never knew from one shot to the next where to aim. Once I put it on my 219 Zipper I never had another problem with it.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:21 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
I thought I'd just roll this into the gun thread rather than make a new one...I'm trying to decide where/how to carry the pistol I just got. Any suggestions on holsters/rigs etc? It's 26 oz. so it isn't huge but it's not exactly a feather either.
Hmm... some suggestions (most of these are just personal preference):

1) No underarm carry.
2) Get a good belt. Stiff, 1 3/4" wide at a minimum. No dress belts.
3) Decide on inside the waistband (IWB) or outside of the waistband (OWB) model holster. IWBs offer better concealment, possibly more consistent positioning. OWB offer better comfort, easier removal.
4) Decide on what material you want for your holster. Leather is traditional & durable. Kydex (plastic) is cheaper and won't discolor (but it may rub off on your gun). Avoid nylon & generic holsters if you can.
5) Fobus is alright, but cheap. Bianchi is okay. Galco, Blade-Tec, Safariland... they're all good.

That's about it. You just bought an expensive gun. Putting it in a cheap holster would be a shame. ;)
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:18 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:

I absolutely swear by Kramer holsters. They're custom fit to each gun, don't require a strap to hold the gun in, which must then be popped off before pulling the gun, and are made extremely well. The gun fits so snuggly in the holster that it won't fall out, but once you give it a tug, it kind of "pops" out. See my pix above for a very poor picture of mine.

http://www.kramerleather.com/

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:33 pm

2) Get a good belt. Stiff, 1 3/4" wide at a minimum. No dress belts.

On that note The Belt Man is a great place to go for gun belts. They're not cheap, but you get what you pay for when it comes to a gun belt.

5) Fobus is alright, but cheap. Bianchi is okay. Galco, Blade-Tec, Safariland... they're all good.

Comp-Tac is another good one if you're looking for Kydex and they have a holster that fits your specific gun frame.
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:23 pm

Erh, it's only a 290 dollar revolver ;) I'm poor boy remember? :) But those are good starting points; I think I'll probably get one each for outside and inside the waistband carry. There's a local store with a decent selection but it's closed till the 2nd.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:30 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Erh, it's only a 290 dollar revolver ;) I'm poor boy remember? :) But those are good starting points; I think I'll probably get one each for outside and inside the waistband carry. There's a local store with a decent selection but it's closed till the 2nd.
Well then, no getting in trouble until the 3rd, mmmmkay? :)
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:03 pm

O yeah. My brothers also getting me a .380 Bersa from a friend. It's only fifty bucks; the friends wife has told him to get it down to two gun cabinets, so he's selling about 5 shotguns (brother's buying 2), 4 or 5 rifles and maybe 12 pistols. So I'm scoring a small plinker out of that deal.

EDIT: On the friend--he's got 3 medium sized gun cabinets right now. Bro says he's got about 40-50 long guns and probably 2 or 3 dozen pistols. He's selling 10 or so long guns, several pistols and all three medium gun cabinets--to get two *large* gun cabinets :lol:
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:04 pm

Does anyone know about shipping guns on an airline? I'm headed down to Houston in May for family stuff. I'd like to bring my firearms with me but I obviously can't take them through security or anything.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:54 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Does anyone know about shipping guns on an airline? I'm headed down to Houston in May for family stuff. I'd like to bring my firearms with me but I obviously can't take them through security or anything.
Check them in your luggage. Unloaded. The gun must be in a separate container inside your regular luggage. You must declare the firearm when you check in for your flight. They'll give you a sticker to put on the outside of the box the gun is in, which is safely nestled in your bag.

Check out the FAA's website for specific guidance.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:15 pm

But can I even get in the airport with them? What about the scanning/checking on the car when you pull up into airport parking?

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:15 pm

Darkmage wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:
Does anyone know about shipping guns on an airline?
Check them in your luggage. Unloaded. The gun must be in a separate container inside your regular luggage. You must declare the firearm when you check in for your flight. They'll give you a sticker to put on the outside of the box the gun is in, which is safely nestled in your bag.

Check out the FAA's website for specific guidance.
+1.

I've checked handguns w/regular luggage and rifles/shotguns in separate hard cases.

No ammo, separate case, & declare.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:15 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
But can I even get in the airport with them? What about the scanning/checking on the car when you pull up into airport parking?
Not a problem. You can take firearms into airports, contrary to what you'd think right off the bat. Just remember: Unloaded, in a locked box, in your luggage. Do not attempt to carry your gun on you and put it into your luggage later. Even if you plan on doing it in the parking garage.

You might have a little fun if you get singled out for the sniffer machine, but that will be in line to get into the secured area. By then, you will have checked your gun in your luggage. Just remember that you're not breaking the law, you're complying with it.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:02 pm

Sweet! I'd much rather fly 3 hours than drive 12 so this is great. Problem is Contienental (only one that flies Amarillo to Houston) limits me to 5 guns. :( 2 rifles, 2 pistols and a shotgun was what I'd planned to bring down, but I was gonna bring back some more from my family and I can't. Oh well, I'll look at shipping them via UPS or something.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:29 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Oh well, I'll look at shipping them via UPS or something.
That may not be much use. You'll have to ship them to an FFL. I'm fairly sure you'll have to pay them to fill out the transfer paperwork. I'm not entirely sure. Check your local gun shop, they should be able to tell you.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:49 pm

Ohhh FLL sucks :( I'll ask the local mom and pop shop/range.

I just put 200 rounds through my new revolver. My shooting sucked. Advice? I was loading moderate .357 loads for most of it, but kick wasn't too bad, except for the one time to do the rapid-fire trick. Grouping low adn right, sights not adjustable.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:53 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
Grouping low adn right, sights not adjustable.

You shooting one-hand or a Weaver triangle? No matter how hard I've tried, I can't be accurate unless I use a classic one-hand target shooting stance.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.