Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Re: Gun prOn!

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:33 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
that's in 5.56 right?
Yes.
paulWTAMU wrote:
How long are you shooting it that you need a 24x?
600 yards at the most, methinks. Any more than that and I'm breaking out the bolt action stuff in a larger caliber.
paulWTAMU wrote:
Does 5.56 work at 1000 yards?
No.
paulWTAMU wrote:
I'd have thought wind drift would be a bear not to mention the lack of energy left at that range. Weird.
You are correct. Both of those are major factors. Also consider that at 1000 yards, the bullet is subsonic. The transition from supersonic to subsonic will destroy your accuracy.

I might be able to move up to a heavier bullet than the 54.1g stuff I have laying around. But I'll have to check the barrel twist first. My research says you need to spin 'em pretty fast to keep the bigger bullets stable at the longer ranges. I don't even know the twist rate on this barrel yet.

paulWTAMU wrote:
I still want a good 4-12x for when I get my CZ :D
When you get around to shopping, check out Primary Arms. The guys at work love them. They're imports from Asia, but the company does their homework and QC on each unit. I haven't bought any glass from them, but I've heard many good things.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

durt_b1ker
Gerbil

Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:59 pm

When you get around to shopping, check out Primary Arms. The guys at work love them. They're imports from Asia, but the company does their homework and QC on each unit. I haven't bought any glass from them, but I've heard many good things.

Good value.

I have the 1-6x ACSS and 4-14 ffp mil/mil

There are scopes out there that are better....but only if you are willing to spend $600+ The optics are decent, the durability is good, and the price is fair.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:18 pm

So those'd be better than SS Scopes or a Nikon Monarch? That was about the price range I was looking at (350ish)
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

durt_b1ker
Gerbil

Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:25 pm

Yes and no.

The Nikon and SS are built well and have glass at least as good as the PA. But the Primary Arms models may have features that generally come on more expensive models. The 4-14, for example. Mil dot reticle and mil dot adjustments, first focal plane reticle. Not everyone needs or wants these things but for long range shooting they are desireable. That model retails for a little over $200.

I have a Nikon 3-9 on my 10-22. Its bright and clear and I love it. But for my 6.5 Creedmoor at 1000+ yards, it wouldn't do what I need.

The SS is a great value in the 10x and 12x for sure. Just depends how you plan on using it.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:41 pm

Ok so this is a shameless plug albeit a consumer shameless plug.

If you are in need of a good quality gunbelt look no further than http://www.bullhidebelts.com/. I have bought two belts, one regular old leather 1 1/2" for casual wear and their superbio indestructible 1 1/4" dress belt for those dressier occasions. Both are very well made and stand up to my ITW holster.

The suberbio belt is really weird as I dont know what the outer material is but it has a nylon inner core and is super stiff.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:51 am

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:06 am

Wish I had the spare cash for one of those. Nice find!
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:32 am

Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:23 pm

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
Tempting indeed. But I'd do some sort of re-stocking violation to it that would make Vrock very upset with me.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:41 pm

Darkmage wrote:
Looking for Knowledge wrote:
Tempting indeed. But I'd do some sort of re-stocking violation to it that would make Vrock very upset with me.

Is your fridge black plastic with Picatinny rails for the ice/water dispenser? 8)
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:46 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Darkmage wrote:
I make Vrock very upset with me.
Is your fridge black plastic with Picatinny rails for the ice/water dispenser? 8)
Is yours beaver barf with an 80 year old canvas strap for the handle? :lol:
· R7-5800X, Liquid Freezer II 280, RoG Strix X570-E, 64GiB PC4-28800, Suprim Liquid RTX4090, 2TB SX8200Pro +4TB S860 +NAS, Define 7 Compact, Super Flower SF-1000F14TP, S3220DGF +32UD99, FC900R OE, DeathAdder2

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:46 pm

A restocked SKS is silly to me, but at least is does no permanent damage to the gun. Still, rifle is fine. You **** it, it only get heavy and you still no hit largest side of barn.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:51 pm

Not that the SKS has a stellar reputation for accuracy anyway. :D
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:49 pm

Vrock wrote:
A restocked SKS is silly to me, but at least is does no permanent damage to the gun. Still, rifle is fine. You **** it, it only get heavy and you still no hit largest side of barn.
In bullpup, there is another way. :)

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:20 pm

If shaving a few inches in overall length means that much to you. Simonov says you can keep your decadent non-ergonomic bullpup with the ejection port next to your face and your silly complicated trigger extension bars. :P

godforsaken
Gerbil

Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Don't worry darkmage, vrock already berated me about my bullpup sks..

secondly, I actually like the feel of bullpups over, umm, non bullpups... traditional? standard? whatever, tasters choice of course, if I was left handed that would be a different matter (though the f2000 and p90 are ambidextrous)

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:46 pm

At some point, I will find an old SKS with a beat-to-hell stock and put a bullpup kit on it. But a brand new SKS? No, let it go to someone who might appreciate it. If they don't, I'll buy it from them then and work the kit.

At the moment, there are no new firearm purchases on the horizon anyway. We have other gun-related priorities at the moment and it's taking up available funds & time. Along those lines, SWMBO and I just became certified NRA instructors for the basic pistol class. I'm hoping to add basic rifle and reloading metallic cartridge to that list in the next year or so.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:05 pm

So I recommend a Norinco SKS for bastardization. They have no history. Those beat to hell SKS you might see are Chicom issue and have a story. Many Yugo SKS also have history and may have been used in the recent unpleasantness in the Balkans.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:41 am

Lets talk holsters. So those of you that CC what are you using? I have to admit I haven't found anything that I liked or was comfortable with. I think I have spent a gun's worth of money on just holsters. :P
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:40 pm

I currently use a Sticky Holster when I carry my Sig P938 in my pocket: http://www.stickyholsters.com/ (can get it on Amazon)

I use a N82 Professional when I carry on my hip. I like that it has a backing that covers the entire surface area of the gun, so that metal isn't poking me in the skin all day: https://www.n82tactical.com/products/holsters/

I'm relatively happy with these, though they're not perfect. The Sticky Holster works very nice putting the gun exactly where you want it, but then you have to pull it out and reposition it every time you do anything that loosens your belt or drops your drawers (#2 anyone?). Which is why I went to the N82.

The N82, as I said, does a great job keeping the gun metal from poking me, but I wish it was a little less bulky, and I really wish it rode a little lower, as I would find that more comfortable.

Really, though, in the end, I think you just have to try them and find the one that works for you.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:42 am

tanker27 wrote:
Lets talk holsters. So those of you that CC what are you using? I have to admit I haven't found anything that I liked or was comfortable with. I think I have spent a gun's worth of money on just holsters. :P

It depends on clothing and the activity.

If I'm wearing more concealing clothing I have a hybrid (leather/kydex) IWB that I find comfortable with all but the largest of handguns. In baggie shorts I tend toward a front pocket holster. The one I use an overwhelming majority of the time in a rear pocket "wallett" holster.

Stock photos:
Image Image

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:44 pm

I use BladeTech in the summer and Uncle Mikes in the winter when I have a jacket. Honestly, the Uncle Mike's doesn't fit very well.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:17 am

I default to pocket carry with my LC9s in a basic pocket holster. Works well and fits in 99% of all my clothes no problem (sweat pants don't work).

It's "only" 8 rounds total capacity but screw it. I'm not John Rambo or a SEAL. If I need more than about that I'd probably be SOL anyhow. And this is the easiest thing to carry I've tried.

List includes:
6 shot snub nose
Compact 1911
SR9c
LC9s
Full sized 1911
compact CZ clone (I forget the importer; I borrowed a friend's to try out).
Glock 17 (again, borrowed a friends).
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

durt_b1ker
Gerbil

Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:15 pm

These are inexpensive, secure, and comfortable for smaller pistols....I would say a CM9 / XDS / Nano / Shield or smaller for best results. I also like an Alien Gear or an Old Faithful (crossbreed-ish) hybrid for larger pistols...M&Pc etc.

http://pjholster.com/?attachment_id=1136

Dagwood
Gerbil Elite

Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:25 am

With a pocket pistol where do you put the stuff you would normally carry in your pocket? My pocket knife and keys go in the right hand pocket and the phone goes in the left and the wallet goes in the back right pocket.

I do not own a holster but the Alien gear one was mentioned as was Aholsters. Yes it is a real company.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:31 am

so, my good friend's father in law is what you'd call a gun nut; something like 40 odd rifles and I don't know how many handguns.

And we've been invited to go shooting with him this weekend in New Mexico, and maybe get some hog hunting in :D I'm supposed to bring all the post halloween clearance pumpkins I can get my hands on, and a lot of 9mm and 223 ammo. But I should get to test out my rebuilt shoulder with some intermediate cartridges, plus, tannerite is fun.

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:05 pm

Dagwood wrote:
With a pocket pistol where do you put the stuff you would normally carry in your pocket? My pocket knife and keys go in the right hand pocket and the phone goes in the left and the wallet goes in the back right pocket.

I do not own a holster but the Alien gear one was mentioned as was Aholsters. Yes it is a real company.

My wallet pocket (left front) is still just that. My right pocket holds the firearm if I'm pocket carrying. When I do that, I simply don't have additional pockets.

In the rare case I need to briefly pocket my phone, I'll slip it in a back pocket temporarily. But I'm very careful not to leave it there for extended periods of time, because that's how they get broken and/or fall out and get lost.

What more do you need to put in your pockets?

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:45 am

Yesterday I made it to the range to finish up my load workup for the 180g projectiles. I think I have narrowed the recipe down to a winner, but there was enough variation yesterday that I won't know for sure for a while. My club just finished work on their 200 yard range so I got to take it for a spin yesterday. They didn't quite mow the weeds down enough so I may or may not have been shooting through the grass. Still, it was a fun day at the range.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:58 pm

Pistol grip shotguns are dumb. Ow. My palm is funny colors after trying that.

Still managed to shoot apples and liter coke bottles from 20 yards with 1911 though :D The LC9 I carry with I had to get in a bit closer--10 yards or so--and I'd still miss occasionally with those targets.

Also, I need a sling for my AR. And I've decided I prefer cross hair scopes to BDC's.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:15 pm

Darkmage wrote:
Yesterday I made it to the range to finish up my load workup for the 180g projectiles. I think I have narrowed the recipe down to a winner, but there was enough variation yesterday that I won't know for sure for a while. My club just finished work on their 200 yard range so I got to take it for a spin yesterday. They didn't quite mow the weeds down enough so I may or may not have been shooting through the grass. Still, it was a fun day at the range.

What suppressor?