Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: Gun prOn!

Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:42 pm

no51 wrote:
So, I took my AR out to the range this weekend and experienced multiple failure to feeds. Maybe 8 or so rounds were semi-auto out of 60. It would not feed the next round reliably and it would not lock back on the last shot, narrowed it down to short stroking. Was running Federal .223 55gr FMJ (black box). I ruled out the magazine (had a Magpul 20rd, Bushmaster 20rd, and Promag 30rd), although it could be possible that I have 3 crappy mags.
You sir, have a problem. I know, that's not helpful. :P

no51 wrote:
I am using an M16 bolt carrier which is heavier than the AR BC which I think is causing this short stroking. The .223 ammo is too light to get it to cycle correctly. That or I somehow messed up the gas system. The front sight base doesn't seem to have any tell-tale leak marks. The gas rings on the bolt seem to be sealing. Could it be the gas tube?
I'd bet money it's not the bolt carrier that's causing the short stroking. The AR-15 was designed with the "full auto" carrier you're using; the semi-auto version was Colt trying to please the ATF years later.

I'd bet it's a gas problem. Which means it's either the tube or the front sight/gas block.

Looking at the tube, it looks a little off center to me. This can happen when you mount a barrel and it doesn't line up perfectly. An off center tube means there's resistance when the bolt carrier group slides into place, which could be causing your issues. Did you buy this AR new, or did you build it? How many rounds have you put through it? When was the last time you cleaned the gas tube?

Have you removed the handguards and checked to ensure the gas tube is firmly installed in the front sight base? Check to make sure the roll pin holding the tube in place is still there.

no51 wrote:
I'm going to try out some NATO ammo if that will cycle, if not I'm thinking of getting a lighter main recoil spring.
I don't think it's an ammo problem, and I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a lighter buffer spring for an AR-15, and if there was, I would question the purpose of such a part.

no51
Gerbil Team Leader

Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:53 pm

took out the gas tube and noticed some carbon deposits on the top:
signs of a leak?
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Intel i7 2600k - Corsair H60 - Win 7 Pro x64
16gb Corsair DDR3 1600 - Sapphire 7970 - Gateway FPD2485W
2x320gb RAID0 - 4x1000gb RAID5 - Antec Signature 850W - Tagan Black Pearl
X-Fi Fatal1ty - Logitech X-540 - RK-9000 - G9

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:19 pm

That much carbon is not a Good ThingTM
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:34 pm

Gas tubes are cheap, wouldn't hurt to replace it.

AbRASiON

Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:00 am

Does anyone know of a gun range in the US where someone can fire a proper, full spec .50 cal sniper rifle (NOT a .50 cal machine gun) ?
Price doesn't really bother me but it's on my "todo before I die" list and if / when I go on a visit in the US, I want / need to find the gun range that will cater to my giant sniper rifle needs.

Anyone?

cjcerny
Gerbil First Class

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:18 am

AbRASiON wrote:
Does anyone know of a gun range in the US where someone can fire a proper, full spec .50 cal sniper rifle (NOT a .50 cal machine gun) ?
Price doesn't really bother me but it's on my "todo before I die" list and if / when I go on a visit in the US, I want / need to find the gun range that will cater to my giant sniper rifle needs.

Anyone?

Usually just need to find a relatively local "bullet fest" to rent a few shots on a Barrett 50 cal. Lots of them throughout the US, especially in the summer. Bring lots of cash.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:48 am

AbRASiON wrote:

Anyone?

As Vrock said, there are clubs and ranges in most states.

One of the better known ranges is Knob Creek in KY. There is also Saddle Butte in Oregon. Both host annual events. Nevada and Colorado both have many locations that rent out firearms for use on their ranges.

FCSA is a resource.
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:01 am

The NRA range in NM can take them I think.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:09 am

I think there's a yearly full-auto shoot near Muskogee, OK with a range able to handle them - it must, because this past year they had an M5 light tank whose cannon you could fire! :D
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:10 am

AbRASiON wrote:
Anyone?
Quantico Gun Club uses the rifle ranges on the USMC base. Once a month or so they open up the 1,000 yard range on a weekend for those who have the big rifles. It's not often, because they have to re-route some of the air traffic, just to be safe.

Lots of ranges can handle the .50 cal rounds, but not everyone is going to have the real estate to let you stretch its legs. I shot a 50BMG at a public range in VA... on a 100 yard range. Joy.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:41 am

bthylafh wrote:
I think there's a yearly full-auto shoot near Muskogee, OK with a range able to handle them - it must, because this past year they had an M5 light tank whose cannon you could fire! :D
Oh now that would be sweet. I'd pay to do that!

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:20 pm

Vrock wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

Wonder how much 37mm ammo is per round?
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:47 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Vrock wrote:
bthylafh wrote:

Wonder how much 37mm ammo is per round?

Wasn't able to go, but I'd wager you'd be paying at least $20/round.

My mistake - it's by Wyandotte, not Muskogee. Website: http://www.oklahomafullauto.com/
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:03 pm

...do you know iff they plan to do that again? I so very much want to fire one of those. Or ten of those.

I'm still a fan of giant explosions.
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

SpartanCaptain
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Figured I would post my pics of my Stag-15 Model 2.

Before.

After

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:26 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
...do you know iff they plan to do that again? I so very much want to fire one of those. Or ten of those.

I'm still a fan of giant explosions.

No idea. I seem to recall from their website last year that they'd had the tank in at least once before.
Hakkaa päälle!

AbRASiON

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:02 pm

cjcerny wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:

Anyone?

Usually just need to find a relatively local "bullet fest" to rent a few shots on a Barrett 50 cal. Lots of them throughout the US, especially in the summer. Bring lots of cash.

How much do you think it would cost per round? I have no idea how much ammo costs, we have very few guns here.

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:15 pm

Check the link I posted; it's got prices for a given amount of ammunition.
Hakkaa päälle!

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:43 am

AbRASiON wrote:
How much do you think it would cost per round? I have no idea how much ammo costs, we have very few guns here.
Expect to pay about $1/round. The big 50s ain't cheap.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:02 am

Darkmage wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:

I would think it'd be more than that. 30-06 runs about that much in some places.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:55 am

Vrock wrote:
Darkmage wrote:
AbRASiON wrote:

I would think it'd be more than that. 30-06 runs about that much in some places.

Dammit, you're going to go make me look it up, aren't you?

[clackety clackety]

Damn, you're right. $3.06/round was the cheapest I could find. That was buying remanufactured ammo in bulk. I must be thinking about reloading costs. Or I'm on crack. One of the two.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:24 pm

You're not on crack. Meth, perhaps, but not crack. :D

I did some more looking around....wow. Looks like projectiles alone run between .$50 and $1.00 a piece.

I checked Hodgon's site and for reloading data, they show 265 grains of powder over a 650 grain FMJ bullet.

With 7000 grains to the pound, you're getting a maximum of 26 rounds. So powder at $20 a pound means you're spending $.77 per round in *powder alone*.

Factor in primer cost and the initial expense for brass or loaded ammo, special dies, and press that can handle it....

Yikes. This is not an economical round any way you slice it.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:21 pm

Compared to the cost of calling in an air strike, the .50 BMG is cheap.

DLHM
Gerbil First Class

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:21 pm

Well I'm about to 'pull the trigger' so to speak, and buy my first AR-15... Well i'm going to part it together for fun anyways. I've all ways dealt with WWII stuff and now Im' feeling the need for something brand new and shiney. Having said that, I have allways used old parts, furniture and stuff like that for fixing my old stuff. My question is, I see alot of price fluctuation in AR-15 parts, I can buy an adjustable butstock for $50 or I can buy one made by magpul for $300, a front handle for $30 or one for $100, $30 gasblock or $80.Is there really a differance in quality, or is it the name coolness factor that sets the price? or both? I don't mind spending money on quality and function,but I do not care the lease bit about the coolness factor of a name.
Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit!

AbRASiON

Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:57 am

Darkmage wrote:

Damn, you're right. $3.06/round was the cheapest I could find. That was buying remanufactured ammo in bulk. I must be thinking about reloading costs. Or I'm on crack. One of the two.

That's pocket change - if I'm firing a sniper rifle (not the machine gun) I'd be more than happy to have a couple of hours with the thing for only 150$ US! (assuming they let me take my shots as long as I like at a nice target) - anything under 2 or 300$ would be reaosnable, considering I'd never ever get to fire a barret or tac 50 in this country EVER.

no51
Gerbil Team Leader

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:56 am

DLHM wrote:
Well I'm about to 'pull the trigger' so to speak, and buy my first AR-15... Well i'm going to part it together for fun anyways.

Are you going to go full on build it or get a prebuilt upper and lower? If you're going to part it all the way, you may need some additional tools like an action block, barrel wrench, stock wrench and reamers.

DLHM wrote:
Is there really a differance in quality, or is it the name coolness factor that sets the price? or both? I don't mind spending money on quality and function,but I do not care the lease bit about the coolness factor of a name.

Pretty much this. There's some brand fanboys with the AR. Also depends on what you want to build.
I suggest looking at midwayusa or brownells first; they're my two main go-to's for most parts. Then there's some AR specific stores like Bravo Company USA and Del-Ton Inc.
If you can, go to a gun show. There's usually a couple of tables selling parts there. The only part you need to deal with an FFL with is the lower receiver, the rest you can get no problem. Here's a quick test on how knowledgeable the sellers are with firearms: If they refer to a magazine as a "clip," walk away.

Also here's a flash game that may help you out: http://pimpmygun.doctornoob.com/app.php
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 - Intel i7 2600k - Corsair H60 - Win 7 Pro x64
16gb Corsair DDR3 1600 - Sapphire 7970 - Gateway FPD2485W
2x320gb RAID0 - 4x1000gb RAID5 - Antec Signature 850W - Tagan Black Pearl
X-Fi Fatal1ty - Logitech X-540 - RK-9000 - G9

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:27 am

AbRASiON wrote:
That's pocket change - if I'm firing a sniper rifle (not the machine gun) I'd be more than happy to have a couple of hours with the thing for only 150$ US! (assuming they let me take my shots as long as I like at a nice target) - anything under 2 or 300$ would be reaosnable, considering I'd never ever get to fire a barret or tac 50 in this country EVER.
Come to Virginia, then. I have a couple friends with 'em. And I can hook you up with a private 100 yard range where you can shoot anything that you can clean up afterwards. Apples, water jugs, soda bottles, watermelons, whatever. As long as you're willing to pay for ammo and possibly lunch, you'll go far.

If you're really good, I'll bring some tannerite. :)

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:02 am

DLHM wrote:
Is there really a differance in quality, or is it the name coolness factor that sets the price? or both? I don't mind spending money on quality and function,but I do not care the lease bit about the coolness factor of a name.
About the only real difference in quality that you'll notice is with sights and barrels. Don't skimp there. Go for a cold-hammer forged barrel made of 4150 steel if you can, and if you're going with a flat top, get a good detachable carry handle rear sight.

marstewart
Gerbil In Training

Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:49 pm

i just love to go places wherein i can bring along with my friends and my rifle for a shooting practice and for a leisure time.
A laugh is a terrible weapon than using weapons like knife, sword, taser stun guns etc.
Try to laugh : )

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:31 am

marstewart wrote:
i just love to go places wherein i can bring along with my friends and my rifle for a shooting practice and for a leisure time.

Word.

Welcome to the forums!