Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:42 pm

I used to have a Thompson Contender in .45/70....

500gr handloads were fun to shoot, but even more fun to watch friends shoot.
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:09 pm

TheDVDMan wrote:
Round comparasion for those interested:
L-R:
9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP, .45 Colt, .454 Casull

Edit:
I want a .475 Linebaugh :cry:

Best damn handgun hunting round there is!

Lickety, which .475 do you have? The Freedom Arms uber-gun, or the still very sweet BFR?

Ron Bowen Conversion on a heavy Ruger frame..5 shooter :wink: Its a Classic and i dont even know if you can get them anymore. While the Freeedom Arms model is nice..this one is the cadillac :wink: Hmm...think i bought it like in 1974 ish..or there abouts.
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

TheDVDMan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:52 pm

Ahh, the full custom route...VERY nice!

If I had the dough, I'd either get one from Linebaugh himself of Bowen...

Edit:
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/RugSAbigbore.htm

:o
Too rich for my blood ATM...
[/posting]

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:26 pm

TheDVDMan wrote:
Oh, if I only had the funds...

They don't make them any more, but what I really really want is a Walther WA2000. Drool....

But at $30,000 I'm going to have to win a lottery or something.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:40 am

Here's my baby... Kimber Ultra Carry stainless, with night sites. Next upgrade will be burl wood laser grips.

eckslax
Gerbil Elder

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:15 am

Aww, such a cute little 1911. :)
"God created man. Samuel Colt made them equal."

"Government does not tax to get the money it needs; government finds a need for the money it gets." - Ronald Reagan

Deathright
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:33 am

A quick question but how does firing a pistol grip shotgun compare to firing one with a stock?
Network theory sucks.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:22 am

Deathright wrote:
A quick question but how does firing a pistol grip shotgun compare to firing one with a stock?
Quick answer:It is a royal pain. It's damn near uncontrollable.

Long answer: You can get a pistol-grip, full-length stock for a shotgun such as the ones on here. These are okay to shoot. I don't recommend these for Mossbergs because of where the safety switch is mounted. Remington shotguns are a better choice if you want something like that.

Pistol grip only 12 gauge shotguns are vicious beasties that are hard to aim properly. I can use the sights, holding it in front of my face, but it nearly recoils into my nose when I do so. I have shot slugs with that shotgun and I was always concerned with hitting myself in the face.

Of course, this begs the question: Why do I own this thing? It belongs to my wife. Due to surgery on her shoulder, she can't use a regular shoulder stock. So I mounted a laser on the shotgun and she shoots it from the hip, using the laser to aim. Without the laser, she shoots about six feet high at 15 yards (!).

This is not something I would recommend for the average shooter. I am philosophically opposed to lasers on self-defense weapons. But due to the circumstances, it was the best solution.

On the positive side, shooting from the hip... it's a fun gun.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:32 am

Vrock wrote:
WTF would anyone want to shoot a giraffe for?
He was doing the "safari in Africa" thing.

The way it works is they manage about three herds of giraffes and other things on a huge animal preserve. When giraffe males get too old to reproduce, they're taken out by hunters who pay a lot of money for the privilege. In this case, it was the alpha of one of the herds who had gotten too old to produce little giraffes. He was still spry enough to defend his females, so the herd was stagnant as a new alpha couldn't take over and keep the females pregnant.

So they put him on the cull list. According to my friend, they had about six guys with rifles behind him because none of the guides thought he could kill the giraffe with a pistol. After the giraffe died (it was instantaneous - 16' tall animal just switched off) they dressed it and cooked it.

Not my thing, personally.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:48 am

TheDVDMan wrote:
Ahh, the full custom route...VERY nice!

If I had the dough, I'd either get one from Linebaugh himself of Bowen...

Edit:
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/NEW/RugSAbigbore.htm

Jebus...they've appreciated quite a bit since ive purchased mine :o
Just an old sheepdog waiting for some nasty wolves to show...ive got more than enough teeth left.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:05 am

Darkmage wrote:
Vrock wrote:
WTF would anyone want to shoot a giraffe for?
He was doing the "safari in Africa" thing.

The way it works is they manage about three herds of giraffes and other things on a huge animal preserve. When giraffe males get too old to reproduce, they're taken out by hunters who pay a lot of money for the privilege. In this case, it was the alpha of one of the herds who had gotten too old to produce little giraffes. He was still spry enough to defend his females, so the herd was stagnant as a new alpha couldn't take over and keep the females pregnant.

So they put him on the cull list. According to my friend, they had about six guys with rifles behind him because none of the guides thought he could kill the giraffe with a pistol. After the giraffe died (it was instantaneous - 16' tall animal just switched off) they dressed it and cooked it.

Not my thing, personally.

Did you get any giraffe jerky out of it?

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:41 am

Vrock wrote:
Did you get any giraffe jerky out of it?
Heh. I wish. No, the meat is not available for export and they couldn't take any home with them. All of the animals he killed over there have been stuffed and have been waiting until he has room in his house. That's the only thing he was allowed to take back.

I do wonder what it tastes like... I forgot to ask. I do know that they ate everything he shot.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:34 am

Darkmage wrote:
He was still spry enough to defend his females, so the herd was stagnant as a new alpha couldn't take over and keep the females pregnant.
Anyone else picture Lickety while reading this? :wink:

TheDVDMan
Graphmaster Gerbil
Topic Author

Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:40 am

Looking for Knowledge wrote:
Darkmage wrote:
He was still spry enough to defend his females, so the herd was stagnant as a new alpha couldn't take over and keep the females pregnant.

No...but thanks for the image :o :evil:
[/posting]

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:49 pm

Darkmage wrote:

Man...thats just LOW and totally false statement..you of all people should know my cajones are never checked at the door..why would they not be present when needed :lol: Blasphemy..thats what it is...if you know of some fine lady in need of a sire...you have me number :wink:

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:15 am

LicketySplit wrote:
if you know of some fine lady in need of a sire...you have me number :wink:
Well... I hear Pamela Anderson is back on the market....

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:56 am

Darkmage wrote:
LicketySplit wrote:

He said fine lady, not disease-riddled hoebag.

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:59 am

Vrock wrote:
Darkmage wrote:
LicketySplit wrote:

He said fine lady, not disease-riddled hoebag.

*Clapping emoticon here*

That is not a lady...hell Carmen Electra is better(albeit not much) than that ol hosebag. Selma is da bomb :lol:

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:55 am

I posted about this over @ TG....but since I'm selling it, I thought I should post a picture while it's still mine.

A pre-ban AK 47, with all the trimmings and matching numbers....

mikehodges2
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:18 am

Wow, Nice AK!!

Anyone have an AWM? I hear you can kill someone with one shot if you hit them in the head, back or torso.. 8)

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:44 am

mikehodges2 wrote:
Wow, Nice AK!!

Anyone have an AWM? I hear you can kill someone with one shot if you hit them in the head, back or torso.. 8)

Wow, that's like a... gun... or sumthin.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:55 pm

I'm buying a Taurus revolver chambered for 38P+...right now its just two rifles and two shotguns and an old nine mil my grandfather left, old Walther P-1. Accuracy is crap on that pistol btw, and it won't feed anything but FMJ. But ooooh that revolver!!!! Saving up a bit at a time now

Edit: I watched a guy shoot a .500 SW Magnum once.......I left because it was too damn loud. He was using the shorter barreled version with porting (On a handguN!) and it damn near flew out of his hands.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:42 pm

mikehodges2 wrote:
Wow, Nice AK!!

Thanks!

I'd take an AWN in .338 Lapua, but I've been lusting for a .50BMG for a lot longer, and it's unlikely I'll ever be able to afford either one. :-?

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:45 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
I'm buying a Taurus revolver chambered for 38P+...right now its just two rifles and two shotguns and an old nine mil my grandfather left, old Walther P-1. Accuracy is crap on that pistol btw, and it won't feed anything but FMJ. But ooooh that revolver!!!! Saving up a bit at a time now
Post some pictures!

I like Taurus. I've owned more than a few, and have always been happy with them. What model are you looking at?

LicketySplit
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:06 pm

mikehodges2 wrote:
Wow, Nice AK!!

Thanks!

I'd take an AWN in .338 Lapua, but I've been lusting for a .50BMG for a lot longer, and it's unlikely I'll ever be able to afford either one. :-?

Hehe..like WTF are you going hunting for? Maybe practice for that long range shot eh :lol:

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:43 pm

LicketySplit wrote:
Hehe..like WTF are you going hunting for? Maybe practice for that long range shot eh :lol:
I hear ya. It's not like I ever even use my .338 Win Mag. :-?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:21 pm

No pics available atm; camera on fritz. I forget the model :o Its at the local gun store, and its usually stocked...not too pricey, in the mid threes. Its also not that ultralight crap. I can't stand the recoil with those guns. Its got like a 2" barrel, and it fits my hands a lot better than most small handguns; I can't even hold those little tiny 9s and 40s that are so popular nowadays. Only my index and middle finger can get on thier handles...so I get no grip, and the slide tends to bite my hand (I have large hands). I'll be down there probably friday to look at again. Hell I may have mixed up the models; they had taurus and rossi, as well as S&W that I looked at. I know it when I see it though. I havn't heard much of anything about Rossi but the guns felt ok.

soccergenius
Gerbil Team Leader

Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:23 pm

How can you sell an AK? I thought that was illegal in the US, unless I'm incorrect in assuming you're in the US :-?

Gungir
Gerbil Elite

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:01 pm

A friend of mine at work is a gun nut. He has the civilian version of the FN P90 (FN FS, if I remember correctly), a .22 LR Luger pistol, and the cream of the crop, a laser-sighted, slug-loaded, semi-auto shotgun. Don't know the manufacturer on that one.

For my part, my grandfather left me a Walther P38 in his will, but at eighteen I'm still too young to take full ownership. For the moment, it's in the safe of one of my great uncles.

The weapon was acquired during the final days of the Second World War, when his wing was tasked to flying French PoWs out of Germany. There was a group of them who were extremely grateful for the flight, and asked if there was any way they could repay my grandfather. He asked if any of them had a P38. After circling their group with questions, one of the pistols was procured and presented to my grandfather as thanks. They said it came from a 'good' German officer (AKA a dead one), and the weapon will be a keepsake for as long as possible.

I'm not fond of the idea of a gun in the house, but as I'm the only one in my immediate family who can handle firearms, the pistol's fallen to me. It will stay under lock and key even if someone broke into the house. I would never risk it being stolen. For burglar deterrence, I have a rapier on my bedroom wall.
Last edited by Gungir on Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus A8N32-SLI - AMD X2 4200+ @ 2.7GHz - 2 x 1GB Corsair PC-3500LL @ 266MHz, 3-3-3-6 - SLI 7800GTs @ 505/1206 - Corsair HX620 PSU - Cooler Master RC-690

The two great evils of system tuning: YMMV and IIRC.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:05 pm

soccergenius wrote:
How can you sell an AK? I thought that was illegal in the US, unless I'm incorrect in assuming you're in the US :-?
It's only an issue in a very small number of states, and the issues mostly involve importation, not reselling of already owned guns. I'm not as up-to-date as a complete answer requires, and I'm not going in search of answers. I do know that I can ship my AK to an FFL holder in any state but California.