Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Re: Gun prOn!

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:21 pm

I want to build my own now. This is dangerous.

So uh, why are calibers other than 556 so expensive to get uppers in? like 300, 6.5, etc
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:30 pm

Economy of scale is probably why they cost more. There are fewer made.

If I was to build another, I would want something big bore, like the .458 SOCOM or maybe 50 Beowulf.

Looking for Knowledge
Darth Gerbil

Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:19 pm

I miss my .458, but (factory) ammunition was sooo expensive.
Probably PUI. Definitely an كافر

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:50 pm

well, I wasn't going to...but he offered to throw in 400 rounds of 45 acp (1/1 WWB and Fiochhi) so I did it. and now I have enough ammo for my 1911 for a year or two. It's a nice set up but I can see why he sold it; this is NOT a rifle I'd carry for a few miles going hunting. 14 lbs without a scope. On the flip side, I can probably shoot this one and NOT aggravate the shoulder. Now to get a good scope on it.

But I've got the PSA lower ordered. Now to find an upper I like more. I want a 556 upper. And maybe a 300 blackout upper too. Going with a basic red dot sight (I've heard good things about Vortex's for the price?).
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:52 am

FYI Public service announcement: (I actually forgot to post this Thanksgiving week)

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015 ... y-miracle/

I will be all over it. Lucky for me the local CMP store isnt but an hour away.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:21 pm

so...christmas bonus and a check from grandpa....

I am buying *either* the 357 GP100 or the SuperBlackhawk in .44

and I am buying

A Howa 25-06 OR a fixed length carbine AR

Decisions decisions.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:09 pm

.25-06 will be much more useful in the long run.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:21 pm

I've really wanted that 6.5mm CZ but man, it's 300 bucks more than the Howa and frankly, the howa's do what I want to do (pronghorn/deer). Probably go with that. I'm still on the lookout for an upper I like for the lower I've ordered

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:53 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
so...christmas bonus and a check from grandpa....

I am buying *either* the 357 GP100 or the SuperBlackhawk in .44

and I am buying

A Howa 25-06 OR a fixed length carbine AR

Decisions decisions.

Get the AR.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:03 am

I think I'll go ahead and get the upper ordered; now to find one. Or maybe I'll build one? I took apart the one I used to have a time or two and it looks fairly simple (easier than a lower). I'd really like a slightly longer barrel, like 18", flat top (I'm mouting an optic, no need for the standard front site). I don't care much about a dust cover but a FA is nice

Vrock
Gerbil God

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:33 pm

Building an upper is not easier than building a lower. A lower build requires a hammer, a roll pin punch set, and maybe a castle nut wrench for carbines.

Not for uppers. The forward assist and dust cover go on easy enough, but the barrel can be challenging. You need a quality barrel wrench, a vise with a upper receiver block, a torque wrench, and patience. Getting the holes and/or notches for the gas tube to line up, while being within the spec torque range for the barrel, is not a piece of cake. And, if your barrel doesn't come with a front sight block/gas block pre-installed, installing one yourself can be a challenge as well. Hell, just driving that tiny roll pin for the gas tube through the gas block can be a royal pain in the ass.

I've built only three uppers. One of the three was easy. The other two were not much fun.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:28 pm

um. That sounds a bit challenging, I think I'll keep looking for a predone upper that is both not crappy and is affordable.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:05 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
um. That sounds a bit challenging, I think I'll keep looking for a predone upper that is both not crappy and is affordable.

I dunno about crappy, but the cheapest uppers I've seen are the Red X Firearms folks. I haven't seen anyone complain about their work, but nobody praises them for super amazing machining.

I have heard decent things about Hardened Arms as well. They seem to cram a lot of features in for the price.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:58 am

I'm OK without a ton of features; I just want decent accuracy (2 MOA or better) and reliability. I'd *prefer* an 18" barrel.

I decided to pass on the handgun and do an AR instead. I figure revolvers are pretty safe legislatively speaking and ARs are less so,s o.....25-06 (ordered) and an AR or two :) Waiting on my lower (it'll probably get here after Christmas) and I'm debating buyign a prebuilt vs grabbign another lower and upper combo. I kind of liked the looks of the Mossberg MMR Hunter (A2 stock, 18" barrel) but all I know about Mossberg is shotguns, and reviews on the MMR varied between sources.

25-06 is a Thompson Center since they're rnning a good MIR and are pretty decent rifles (based on handling them at local shops). A step or three above an axis, a few steps down from like the Kimber Mountaineer or the higher end Winchester 70 models. After MIR I'll be out like 420 or so.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:24 pm

went ahead and got the MMR. at 550 on sale it had decent to good reviews by and large (only found one unhappy review). And it fits well.

Still waiting on my 25-06 to get in; I've just about decided on a 4-12x for it but want to look around a bit more. Leaning towards a Nikon Prostaff 5 for it (~300). The scope on the AR is a Nikon 3-9 (http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-P-223-3-9x4 ... B006YVT0R8).

Kind of bummed about not getting a hand cannon (probably won't happen this year now) but frankly I see more utility in the rifles right now

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:42 am

Anyone know Millet Scopes? i'm looking at one for the 25-06. I'm OK spending to about 300 (plus or minus 50 bucks).
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018TMCYE/ref ... B003E8RXZA

kind of liking this for the large objective and good magnification. Plan to take this deer hunting with some friends in NM and longish (300 yards) shots may be an option, provided I can get my skill up to snuff over the next year

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:28 pm

Check out http://www.vortexoptics.com/. I have bought two red dots from them and I love them.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:22 pm

I've looked at some of those. Actually my 2 current top choices are:

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Cro ... 35&sr=1-25

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BAHWQ7M/ref ... OYEO3HBCF6

I need 2 scopes, one for my bolt action 223 and one for the 25-06. Hope to take the 25-06 hunting this upcoming deer season.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:01 am

Vortex has very very good customer service. They will always have my business.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:37 pm

The FFL I was using to ship the 25-06 too has totally flaked out and dropped off the face of the earth; phone is disconnected, there's an eviction notice on the shop sign, etc. :evil: Got the amount refunded, so I've gone ahead and ordered a howa 1500 in 6.5x55 swedish through a more...established person. It's the one that comes with a crappy scope but I'll be replacing that ASAP, probably with one of those vortexes.

EDIT: Anyone know what the heck happens to any orders that guy had pending? Do they all get sent back to the manufacturer, do they wind up in limbo, or what?

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:47 pm

academy is running clearance deals on their Ziess scopes. I just got an open box 4-12x for 250. Just if anyone's looking. That's going on my 6.5 when it gets in.

I have a Vortex Crossfire coming in for my .223 bolt action too. I'm sure the Ziess is nicer, but I want it on the 6.5. I just wish they'd had 2 for that price!

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:50 am

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/13/news/co ... ankruptcy/

Colt's out of bankruptcy. I wonder how long that will last.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:48 am

paulWTAMU wrote:
The FFL I was using to ship the 25-06 too has totally flaked out and dropped off the face of the earth; phone is disconnected, there's an eviction notice on the shop sign, etc.
Wow. That's a nightmare right there. Glad you got your money back.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:27 pm

Here's my .223 bolt action...Vortex 4-12x50mm scope. Remington 700 action, 22" JP barrel, etc. Finally got it scoped. Kinda want to get a bipod for it. It's a good 13 lbs right now.

My current AR: Mossberg MMR Hunter with a Nikon 223 scope on it (3-9x)

My howa 1500 6.5 should be here next week and I've got a ziess 4-12x44mm waiting for it :)

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:57 am

This is kind of tangential; I want to get a spotting scope (not so much for shooting, but I'll use it there). Uses would be sighting in at the range, out ot 200 yards, and (the more common use) birds/mammals in the field. Does anyone have experience with Redfield or Konus spotters? I can't really justify 500 for it, trying to keep it to under 300.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:39 am

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/0 ... nt-2482392

41 magnum lever action :D I still don't have that revolver, but now I *really* want one. And this lever gun with a low power scope. and a pony

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:04 pm

Just a quick note. I just got done with 20 hours of training with Massad Ayoob, all classroom. Heavy stuff. We discussed guns, but alas there weren't many pictures.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:49 pm

now that you've digested it, how was Ayoob? i'm never going to be able to afford his classes so I'm just curious if you think he lived up to the hyep

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:12 am

It's worth every penny. Most training will teach you how to use a gun, how to use one effectively and how to shoot well. Ayoob's class teaches you everything else. How to interact with the aggressor (in case he survives), how to interact with witnesses, how to interact with the police and how to interact with your lawyer. Lots and lots and lots of things that can come up in a trial, if there is one.

I've taken several training classes that will teach you how to shoot. Ayoob's class is focused on teaching you when to shoot.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:49 pm

6.5x55 Swedish vs Butternut squash and pumpkins at 25-100 yards :D That was the most fun I've had shooting in ages.

The Howa's a little prone to short stroking the bolt, but otherwise *very* nice. Recoil is marginal as all get out for a serious centerfire cartridge; I went through almost 70 rounds and didn't mind. Didn't get really super duper sighted in; once the wind started going I said good enough and rang our range's gongs and shot some pumpkins and squashes people had left. But I can hit metal from 25-100 yards (as far as our rifle range goes at the gun club) with a dead on hold. The butter nut squashes were tricky though, since they were laying down long wise. If you were much off vertically you missed