Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Vrock
Gerbil God

Re: Gun prOn!

Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:55 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Vrock wrote:
In this month's edition of my blog, I take on the M1911. See if I do it justice here:

http://armedbutnotdangerous.blogspot.co ... -1911.html

We'll take the M1911 to the stars when we finally get there.

Might have to modify them to shoot plasma bolts, but yeah. :)

Buub
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:55 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Vrock wrote:
In this month's edition of my blog, I take on the M1911. See if I do it justice here:

http://armedbutnotdangerous.blogspot.co ... -1911.html

We'll take the M1911 to the stars when we finally get there.

Though it's definitely not a war-model replica, I love my Kimber 1911 (CDP II Pro). Great gun.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:31 am

Buub wrote:
Though it's definitely not a war-model replica, I love my Kimber 1911 (CDP II Pro). Great gun.

I will someday inherit a real gov't model M1911A1 complete with the appropriate stampings on the frame. Don't know how Dad got to keep it, but I'm not complaining.

As for plasma bolts, the fact that a cartridge will still work in the vacuum of space (tested by the CCCP on one of the early military variants of the Salyut space stations) is good enough for me.
What we have today is way too much pluribus and not enough unum.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:47 am

Vrock wrote:
Might have to modify them to shoot plasma bolts, but yeah. :)

Surprise, surprise. The two firearms with the longest history of use in the US military (M1911 and Ma Deuce) are John Browning designs. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that grunts currently in the sandbox want BARs.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
Buub wrote:

I will someday inherit a real gov't model M1911A1 complete with the appropriate stampings on the frame. Don't know how Dad got to keep it, but I'm not complaining.

I'm thinking property accountability just wasn't a big focus in the old days. During war a certain amount of equipment losses are expected, and the bigger the war, the more can be "lost" without raising eyebrows.
Hell, I remember one time when a disgruntled Private deliberately hid a M9 when we were at JRTC, and the Battalion Commander locked down the 500 soldier task force until it was found. We wasted two weeks of training time looking for that stupid pistol, which was the Private's intent all along.

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:03 pm

Vrock wrote:
Captain Ned wrote:
Buub wrote:
I'm thinking property accountability just wasn't a big focus in the old days. During war a certain amount of equipment losses are expected, and the bigger the war, the more can be "lost" without raising eyebrows.
Hell, I remember one time when a disgruntled Private deliberately hid a M9 when we were at JRTC, and the Battalion Commander locked down the 500 soldier task force until it was found. We wasted two weeks of training time looking for that stupid pistol, which was the Private's intent all along.

Dad never went to war and even if he did he'd have been back at HQ given his AF MOS (or whatever the relevant term is in AF-speak). I've shot the beastie and it could surely benefit from a trip through a good shop as it has that rattly looseness of a long-term service M1911. My guess is that it somehow escaped from his ROTC term in college. I'm almost 49 and I can remember seeing it back when I was in the single digits, so it's been in his possession since the mid-1960s at a minimum.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:52 pm

Today I braved the lines to make a purchase I have been wanting for sometime now. So what did I get?

Sig Sauer P250 .40. It is a blast to shoot with.

I can switch between a full size and a carry compact by just switching the trigger assembly (fire control unit) to the polymer body. Its also a DAO hangun.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')
Watch out for evil Terra-Tron; He Does not like you!

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:41 pm

how much does a rig like that run? I really want a carry gun but I also want a full sized handgun (more fun to shoot). That seems like it might be a good way to get both...it's not the 1911 I covet but hey
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:34 pm

paulWTAMU wrote:
how much does a rig like that run?

You'll be surprised, MSRP for the '2 Sum' (that's what its called) is 499. Today I got it on sale for 399. Really a steal. My only gripe is that the Subcompact polymer base doesn't have picatinny rails on it. But I do know they sell one and that will be my first purchase.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

bthylafh
Maximum Gerbil

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:41 pm

tanker27 wrote:
paulWTAMU wrote:
how much does a rig like that run?

You'll be surprised, MSRP for the '2 Sum' (that's what its called) is 499. Today I got it on sale for 399. Really a steal. My only gripe is that the Subcompact polymer base doesn't have picatinny rails on it. But I do know they sell one and that will be my first purchase.

:o Holy crap that's cheap for what you get.
Hakkaa päälle!
i7-8700K|Asus Z-370 Pro|32GB DDR4|Asus Radeon RX-580|Samsung 960 EVO 1TB|1988 Model M||Logitech MX 518 & F310|Samsung C24FG70|Dell 2209WA|ATH-M50x

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:04 pm

Oh crap. I have that much ATM. Where'd you get it, a chain?? I didn't see anything in Academy's ads this week :(
Ugly people have sex all the time. We wouldn't have 6 and a half billion humans if you had to be beautiful to get laid.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:13 pm

It wasnt a chain but a local gunstore/ Shooting club I frequent. Best advice I can offer is call around. I did see the 2Sum for sale at Gander Mountain for 409 last week. Even at MSRP of 499 its still a great buy for what you get.

BTW, they used to be sold in a nice hardcase early on but from what I gather Sig stopped selling them with the cases. So if you do see one with the hardcase snatch it up.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vrock
Gerbil God

Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:39 pm

Is it really DAO or is it a striker fired setup like a GLOCK?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:04 pm

It's a true DAO on every pull. And it's ridiculously accurate at 25 yards. I have no trouble keeping it inside the six inch circle. The trigger pull is very smooth and is rated at a 5.5 lb pull.

I absolutely love it.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:10 am

That's a really interesting concept. I assume it counts as two firearms purchases though.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:08 am

how much of a pain is it to switch the trigger assembly? Is it something I can really do at the range?

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Vrock wrote:
That's a really interesting concept. I assume it counts as two firearms purchases though.

No just one. The fire control unit that you switch around is the serial numbered part.

paulWTAMU wrote:
how much of a pain is it to switch the trigger assembly? Is it something I can really do at the range?

It's easy and can be done at the range. All it takes is a field strip, then pull the fire control unit from the polymer body. No tools needed.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:42 pm

Here's a review about the P250.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Vrock
Gerbil God

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:35 pm

tanker27 wrote:
Vrock wrote:

No just one. The fire control unit that you switch around is the serial numbered part.
That's very interesting, usually the frame of the handgun is the serial numbered part. It sounds like you got a really good deal on a neat setup. Merry Christmas to you. :)

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:38 pm

They're 650 at the local Gander and Academy didn't have them :( I am sad.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:04 am

tanker27 wrote:
It's easy and can be done at the range. All it takes is a field strip, then pull the fire control unit from the polymer body. No tools needed.
Fascinating.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

vargis14
Gerbil Jedi

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:41 am

I held one of those Sig's and fell in love with the feel of the gun and the nice fat sandpaper type grip. I have very big hands and that sig fit perfectly in them. I am super jealous. Enjoy your new 40
2600k@4848mhz @1.4v CM Nepton40XL 16gb Ram 2x EVGA GTX770 4gb Classified cards in SLI@1280mhz Stock boost on a GAP67-UD4-B3, SBlaster Z powered by TX-850 PSU pushing a 34" LG 21/9 3440-1440 IPS panel. Pieced together 2.1 sound system

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:10 am

Today I was looking to buy another polymer base, according to Sig they call them Grip Modules. I am looking for the subcompact version with Rail system. To my surprise I found that they were VERY inexpensive!

This modular gun system is going to turn out to be the best purchase ever.

Now if only I can find a holster I like.......
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:31 am

tanker27 wrote:
Today I was looking to buy another polymer base, according to Sig they call them Grip Modules. I am looking for the subcompact version with Rail system. To my surprise I found that they were VERY inexpensive!

This modular gun system is going to turn out to be the best purchase ever.

Now if only I can find a holster I like.......

Making the action the FFL/ATF unit is a particular piece of genius.

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:49 am

Captain Ned wrote:
Making the action the FFL/ATF unit is a particular piece of genius.

I think so too. As I look around the net there isnt a big following of the P250. Even talking with the gunstore I bought it from, the reason for the price was that they were trying to clear stock. Nobody in town was interested in it. However, almost every employee at the store had bought one and two were actually CCing it. They had nothing but good things to say about it.

I cant stress how much I love this thing.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Captain Ned
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:00 am

tanker27 wrote:
I think so too. As I look around the net there isnt a big following of the P250. Even talking with the gunstore I bought it from, the reason for the price was that they were trying to clear stock. Nobody in town was interested in it. However, almost every employee at the store had bought one and two were actually CCing it. They had nothing but good things to say about it.

As a gun owner I hate to say it, but my guess in the lack of interest is that you actually have to field-strip it (about a 30-second procedure and watch your knuckles) to make the change. What that tells me is that there are many holders out there who have never properly cleaned their guns and that will come back to them someday.

As for me, Hoppes #9 and a toothbrush ....

Vrock
Gerbil God

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Captain Ned wrote:
tanker27 wrote:

As a gun owner I hate to say it, but my guess in the lack of interest is that you actually have to field-strip it (about a 30-second procedure and watch your knuckles) to make the change. What that tells me is that there are many holders out there who have never properly cleaned their guns and that will come back to them someday.

As for me, Hoppes #9 and a toothbrush ....

As an enthusiast who subscribes to three gun magazines, I had never heard of this 2 Sum deal. So that tells me that SIG has done a piss-poor job of advertising and marketing the thing. Every new GLOCK, Springfield XD, Ruger, etc. gets a write up in the gun rags. The last SIG product I saw that got a write up was the P238, and that was an expensive, unremarkable concealed carry gun patterned after the 1911 that came out a couple years ago.

I feel that if this package had been marketed properly, it wouldn't be the first time many of us are hearing about it. Then again, checking Buds Gun Shop, they're all sold out of this package, so perhaps it was a well-kept secret. Who knows? If they made it in .45, I'd look for one. I've picked up some .40 S&W cases at the range because I know that someday I'll eventually own a .40, but I've yet to see the firearm chambered for it that really speaks to me. I'd rather have a 10mm to handload and tweak than a .40, which was essentially invented because FBI agents couldn't handle the recoil from 10mm's.

A Colt Delta Elite is in my future at some point, far down the road.

paulWTAMU
Emperor Gerbilius I

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:00 pm

As an enthusiast who subscribes to three gun magazine

are there three decent gun magazines that aren't all just advertisements (sometimes disguised as reviews?)

I'd love to subscribe to one good gun mag, and one good technology mag

tanker27
Gerbil Khan

Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:04 pm

Vrock wrote:
If they made it in .45, I'd look for one.

They do! However not in the 2Sum. Some gunstores I have heard will do a 45ACP dealer created package for the same price. It is just a matter of ordering a full size gun and pairing it with a subcompact exchange kit. Again ask. :wink:

But sadly you're right that it hasnt been marketed properly. And I do believe it is a best kept secret.

Edit: I found someone online has it listed but they are sold out.
(\_/)
(O.o)
(''')(''')

Ozenmacher
Gerbil First Class

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:34 am

Sig Sauer SP2022 chambered in .40 with a Streamlight TLR-1.

This is a home defense firearm and a late night hiking buddy in Anchorage (I walk a lot at night to get away from crowds...and because I work rotating shifts including midnights). The TLR-1 is blindingly bright, and is a perfect addition--fits nicely on the Sigs Picatinny rails. Anchorage has more violence than one may think, especially lately with quite a few instances of random violence and murders. A little piece of mind...plus it is plain fun to practice with. I am a big fan of the DA/SA trigger and lack of manual safeties. I feel comfortable carrying it loaded without worrying about fiddling with safeties if the need ever arose.