Education level

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

What education level do you expect to have in 2 years?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:35 pm

<high school
5
6%
higshool/GED/equivalent
10
11%
2 year degree
13
14%
4 year degree
33
37%
masters
18
20%
PHD
4
4%
obligatory swiss degree
7
8%
 
Total votes : 90

Re: Education level

Postposted on Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:58 pm

Austin's a pretty hot area for tech, IIRC.
(this space intentionally left blank)
just brew it!
Administrator
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 37659
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:51 pm
Location: Somewhere, having a beer

Re: Education level

Postposted on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:00 pm

just brew it! wrote:Edit: $130-$150K? Sign me up too! (And I've got a much higher cost-of-living than you...)

Lol, I know! I know!

just brew it! wrote:Austin's a pretty hot area for tech, IIRC.

Yeah, if someone pays me to move out there, I'm in!
thegleek
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 7360
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:06 am
Location: Detroit, MI

Re: Education level

Postposted on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:57 pm

thegleek wrote:Then do tell me PLEASE TELL me how these networking noobs withOUT a dime of education (no college, only HS) can have jobs that pay $130-150k (not military jobs) whereas I make 1/2 that salary! wtf! :evil:
Some of us "noobs" got our education/training via other means, such as the military.
Heavy is good, heavy is reliable. If it doesn't work, you can always hit them with it.
Dizik
Grand Gerbil Poohbah
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 3020
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:57 pm

Re: Education level

Postposted on Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:37 pm

Others got experience 'on the job' sometimes called seniority. Welcome to the school of life and hard-knocks.
BiffStroganoffsky
Gerbil Team Leader
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2003 3:59 pm

Re: Education level

Postposted on Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:53 pm

Dizik wrote:
thegleek wrote:Then do tell me PLEASE TELL me how these networking noobs withOUT a dime of education (no college, only HS) can have jobs that pay $130-150k (not military jobs) whereas I make 1/2 that salary! wtf! :evil:
Some of us "noobs" got our education/training via other means, such as the military.

+1 pwnd.


BiffStroganoffsky wrote:Others got experience 'on the job' sometimes called seniority. Welcome to the school of life and hard-knocks.

The only job where you start at the top is digging a hole.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do, I do not do. But what I hate, I do.
derFunkenstein
Gerbil God
Gold subscriber
 
 
Posts: 21295
Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:13 pm
Location: WHAT?

Re: Education level

Postposted on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:44 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Dizik wrote:
thegleek wrote:Then do tell me PLEASE TELL me how these networking noobs withOUT a dime of education (no college, only HS) can have jobs that pay $130-150k (not military jobs) whereas I make 1/2 that salary! wtf! :evil:
Some of us "noobs" got our education/training via other means, such as the military.

+1 pwnd.


BiffStroganoffsky wrote:Others got experience 'on the job' sometimes called seniority. Welcome to the school of life and hard-knocks.

The only job where you start at the top is digging a hole.


...it's not like gleek is a 22 year old fresh out of college.
X2 3800+ @ 2.3, 2GB Mushkin pc3200, Lanparty Ultra-D, X850XT @ 560/585
jss21382
Gerbil Jedi
 
Posts: 1646
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:20 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: Education level

Postposted on Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:51 pm

Graduated a few years ago with a bachelors degree in Biblical Studies. I started grad school, but needed some time to figure out where I was headed, for real this time, not just floating through like it's easy to do as an undergrad fella. I started back with a fresh focus and new aim this past semester, and I'm working on my MA in Theological Studies. I love it, and really, I am thankful I took a little time to refocus and regroup, it's more meaningful and enjoyable with some sense of where I'm going.
Twitter: @xmunos
Alex
Maximum Gerbil
 
Posts: 4088
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2002 9:02 pm
Location: Hot Springs, AR

Previous

Return to The Back Porch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests