Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

Kuhtarl
Gerbil XP

Sun Feb 02, 2003 9:33 am

Die Hard is the best computer movie EVER!

The part where John McLane puts the monitor on the office chair and tosses it down the elevator is the best. I ran home after seeing that movie and threw MY monitor down the steps.

Classic.

GokuSS2
Gerbil Jedi

Sun Feb 02, 2003 2:07 pm

Kuhtarl wrote:
Die Hard is the best computer movie EVER!

The part where John McLane puts the monitor on the office chair and tosses it down the elevator is the best. I ran home after seeing that movie and threw MY monitor down the steps.

Classic.

Thats funny. :o I never thought of that.

IntelMole
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:11 pm

Forge, having watched the film again, it turns out to be a seven screen system... and apparantly can access 7 networks (hence the number of monitors)... AAAAnyway, I still like the film, because it's not just a Lawnmower Man-type film where the emphasis is so totally on the computer side of things, that gets boring pretty quickly :-D

Craig P. those helicopter shots ARE real... it's on the making of thingy somewhere on the DVD... they planned it all on a computer first, then shut down the area and did it for real... apparently the helicopter was so powerful that you "had trouble standing under it" whilst filming... apart from the one where vinnie jones falls out, and the crash bits I think, for obvious reasons...

Thresher: no plot? Admittidly the plot isn't LOTR-thick, but there's still one there... it's a Government conspiracy thing, y'see? The most impressive part to the whole thing (for me at least) is that it's a very possible one (War Games??? C'mon!)

Anyways, that's why I like it anyway, but opinions are like jerks :-D,
IntelMole

I saw war games a litt while back on tv (whilst skiving from school) and I must admit to being thoroughly bored by it...
Living proof of John Gabriel's theorem

mattsteg
Gerbil God

Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:01 pm

Joining the conversation a bit late, swordfish's 5 monitor setup was really dumb. displays arrayed in a pseudo-random fashion is rather stupid IMO. Mutimon is great, but only if done right.

Favorite computer-related movie? I would have to say sneakers, when focusing on the tech aspect. Office space isgreat, but not really tech-centric.

technophile
Gerbil First Class

Sun Feb 02, 2003 6:34 pm

Sneakers. I've thought about this for a good 2 minutes now, and I'm sure of it.

Not just for the generally great dialog, funny characters, etc. It's because of the villain's speech at the end. He explains how the world is starting to run on information, how the computer power he hopes to control could be used to not just rob banks but even take down small countries. None of that was commonly understood when that movie was made. For its foresight, sneakers, without a doubt.

I'm surprised so many people here liked Hackers. I found it really juvenile and predictable. But to each their own. I really liked Dude Where's My Car?, so juvenile is clearly not a deal-breaker for me. It certainly wasn't predictable though, and there was a really cool tech-gizmo in the end...

satchmobob
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Feb 04, 2003 2:41 pm

Man, whats up with u all? What about 'U Got Mail' that was great was it not? Yup thats my choice.
OOH i went all girlie then.
It just has to be War Games then a close second is Tron. I think most of sensible mind will agree. 8)
If we cannot be free, at least we can be cheap! FZ.

highlandr
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:28 pm

Gotta go with Sneakers.
The plot, suspense, surprises, all very good. Plus, you just have to love those geeky guys.

Second up is probably Wargames. I haven't seen it in a while, but it really spooked a lot of people to what computers were or could become.

If you haven't seen Sneakers, I recommend it. It is a good movie for all types, not just us typical TR readers.

punktechgirl
Gerbil

hackers

Tue Feb 04, 2003 4:17 pm

Hackers.. not only an awesome movie
but it has the lovely mathew lillard in it..
and boy is he great.

mmmm ::drools:: mathew lillard

:oops:

yarbo
Gerbil Elite

Tue Feb 04, 2003 7:19 pm

Hackers! Angelina Jolie!

Takedown was a pretty cool movie.
<a href=http://www.gentoo.org>Gentoo GNU/Linux</a>

Alex
Maximum Gerbil

Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:00 pm

I must admit, Hackers wasn't bad, I enjoyed it.
Twitter: @xmunos

Spune
Gerbil XP

Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:42 pm

All I am going to say is that Lain is awesome. I have only watched it once I think I am going to buy the DVD's before I watch it again.
There is no Spune!