Personal computing discussed

Moderators: askfranklin, renee, emkubed, Captain Ned

gyrfalcon1
Gerbil

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:05 am

The Pillars of Creation by Terry Goodkind, Book Seven of the Sword of Truth Series.

Hawkwing74
His Holy Gerbilness

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:29 am

Im reading the latest Goodkind book "Phantom" and his style seems to be getting worse with each new book. I guess I want to read a fantasy novel enough to slog through a subpar one.

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:31 pm

I found this site that lists books that involve math and thought some of you may be interested in the reading list.

Check it out: http://math.cofc.edu/kasman/MATHFICT/default.html
NEW SYSTEM DETAILS: i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz |16 GB RAM| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 | Solid State HDD | 1 TB HDD | and numerous external drives

GeekyGirl
Gerbil Elite

Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:47 am

A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffet...I've read much better and much worse books.
NEW SYSTEM DETAILS: i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz |16 GB RAM| NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 | Solid State HDD | 1 TB HDD | and numerous external drives

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:59 am

Broken Angels by Richard K. Morgan. It's the follow-up to Altered Carbon which was quite good.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

kvndoom
Minister of Gerbil Affairs

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:09 am

Our Dumb World by The Onion. For as much as Our Dumb Century rocked the house, this book is 10x funnier. And in color, no less!

Also bought some more Stephen King, still trying to catch up on all that mofo has written. Delving in Everything's Eventual right now, but have 3 or 4 more that I bought last week as well. Can't remember the names at the moment.

Also dug up my Anachronox game guide from years past, once I found out there were patches to make Anox run on Windows XP! I could've played that again 3 or 4 years ago and never knew it!

Good fiction is the best food for the soul... I need to read more, more, more...
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:17 am

kvndoom wrote:
Also bought some more Stephen King, still trying to catch up on all that mofo has written. Delving in Everything's Eventual right now, but have 3 or 4 more that I bought last week as well. Can't remember the names at the moment.

You need to put down everything else and read Cell. I chewed through it in about a day and a half...I thought it was fantastic.

Right now, I'm reading the somewhat outdated Moneyball. And this thread.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.
Twittering away the day at @TVsBen

kvndoom

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:18 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
kvndoom wrote:

You need to put down everything else and read Cell. I chewed through it in about a day and a half...I thought it was fantastic.

Right now, I'm reading the somewhat outdated Moneyball. And this thread.

Cell will be on my list next trip to the bookstore, after I finish these. Someone else recommended it as well. Eventually I am going to read them all anyway.
A most unfortunate, Freudian, double entendre is that hotel named "Budget Inn."

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:24 pm

I got THIS at borders a few nights ago. So far a very good read, and not a bad supplement to a beginner like myself.

Voldenuit

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Just finished reading A Scanner Darkly by Phillip K. Dick.

A very thought-provoking and emotionally demanding book. I would be completely drained after reading a few pages and would have to set it down for a while as the contents sunk in.

It is most profound while it is being flippant, most poignant when it is light hearted, and very depressing when it is, no wait, it's always depressing, even when it's funny as hell :p.

It's strange how the mood of the book is very different from the movie (which I was surprised to find out followed the book very closely), despite both of them describing the same events and even down to the same words of dialogue at times.

I would like to think that the two complement each other - the film, while bleak, is yet more positive about the characters. The book, while funny, is more negative and disturbingly unflinching about the portrayal of drug culture and its consequences. Like the titular scanner, each half only provides an incomplete impression of the events, and even both fail to encapsulate the whole - which is part of its authenticity.

Highly recommended.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:46 pm

pete_roth wrote:
I got THIS at borders a few nights ago. So far a very good read, and not a bad supplement to a beginner like myself.

You'll be walking on the ceiling (note: I did not say Dancing on the ceiling, TYVM) and totally flipping out in no time.
I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:30 pm

Currently I am reading The Princess Bride.

Did you know that there aren't any shrieking eels in the book? They're sharks, and they don't shriek. Personally, I liked the eels better.

derFunkenstein
Gerbil God

Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:23 pm

Vrock wrote:

Did you know that there aren't any shrieking eels in the book? They're sharks, and they don't shriek. Personally, I liked the eels better.

Blasphemy! Peter Falk read to Fred Savage right from the book!

Voldenuit

Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:21 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
Vrock wrote:

LOL. Maybe Scott Evil bought up all the sharks to install lasers on? At least it wasn't vicious mutant seabass. :p

I was disappointed myself when reading the book. It was too "contemporary" and thus came across as dated (does that make any sense?). Whereas the movie felt more timeless, despite being very 80's. Or maybe that's just nostalgia.
Wind, Sand and Stars.

crazybus

Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:16 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Vrock wrote:

LOL. Maybe Scott Evil bought up all the sharks to install lasers on? At least it wasn't vicious mutant seabass. :p

I was disappointed myself when reading the book. It was too "contemporary" and thus came across as dated (does that make any sense?). Whereas the movie felt more timeless, despite being very 80's. Or maybe that's just nostalgia.
It seems counter-intuitive but I think the overall campiness of the movie actually helps with the timeless factor.
[email protected] | GA-P35-DS3L | 8GB DDR2-800 | MSI GTX 560 Ti | Lian Li PC-7B | Corsair 450VX | Dell 2005FPW

steelcity_ballin
Gerbilus Supremus

Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:23 pm

derFunkenstein wrote:
pete_roth wrote:

You'll be walking on the ceiling (note: I did not say Dancing on the ceiling, TYVM) and totally flipping out in no time.

I 'finished' the book in terms of words read, but I by no means understand it all. The movements, the philosphy, it's very very deep, profound even. If someone who has spent their entire life dedicated to the art can't call themself a master, then I'd be an ass to say I understand it this soon.

On that note, I picked up another book by the same author (Dr / Soke Hatsumi) and I can't stop smiling! It's call "Essance of Ninjutsu the Nine Traditions" and it has many stories from the life of Hatsumi sensei as well as his teacher the 33rd grandmaster Takamatsu sensei. This book has a ton of stories that all end in a way that leaves me laughing but for some reason nothing is that funny, just "good". I feel happy.

SecretMaster
Graphmaster Gerbil

Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:12 am

Currently I'm re-reading Ishmael by Daniel Quinn ( http://www.ishmael.org/Origins/Ishmael/ ). It's a really interesting philosophy book, and I must say it really has had a large impact on the way I think. I'm hoping to pick up his other books in the trilogy, My Ishmael and The Story of B. Both are excellent reads as well, or so I hear.

Over the summer I re-read the Foundation Trilogy for the umpteenth time as well. I must say I love that series so much. Eventually I want to pick up the Robot series as well.

Voldenuit

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:53 am

pete_roth wrote:

Don't forget to get some accessories to improve your cred.

Now, maybe if you could stuff a few plushies with smoke bombs and flashbangs... 8)
Wind, Sand and Stars.

Vrock
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:51 am

Voldenuit wrote:
derFunkenstein wrote:
Vrock wrote:

I'm about 3/4 done with it and I really like it. I like that it goes into more detail about Fessik and Inigo. Goldman's style is a bit grating at times, though...he tries too hard with the "I'm editing for Morgenstern" schtick, and as a result it wears thin fairly quickly.

Anyway, I got the book (a decent hardcover edition) as a pack-in with the 30th anniversary DVD at Walmart for 15 bones, so I can't complain.

Voldenuit

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:26 pm

Vrock wrote:
Goldman's style is a bit grating at times, though...he tries too hard with the "I'm editing for Morgenstern" schtick, and as a result it wears thin fairly quickly.

Agree 100%. It actually ruins any possible suspension of disbelief that there was actually a preexisting work.

Sort of like when Disney mutilates a fairy tale/legend to bring it to the big screen (The Little Mermaid, Mulan, Pocahontas etc).

My current dilemna is that I've run out of books to read (or re-read), and I have one month to go before uni starts again. What's a guy to do?
Wind, Sand and Stars.

JustAnEngineer
Gerbil God

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:30 pm

Voldenuit wrote:
My current dilemna is that I've run out of books to read (or re-read), and I have one month to go before uni starts again. What's a guy to do?
Visit the local library?

henry44
Gerbil Elite

Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:53 pm

Hatchers Algebraic Topology and a Number Theory text by Shoup. I long for the day when I have the time to read a book without the word theorem in it anywhere.
Last edited by henry44 on Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

StrangeDay

Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:12 pm

Darkmage wrote:
Broken Angels by Richard K. Morgan. It's the follow-up to Altered Carbon which was quite good.

I've read them both. I felt that Altered Carbon was the stronger work, but that may be because of my personal preference for the tropes Morgan invoked for that tale.

Darkmage
Lord High Gerbil

Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:01 pm

StrangeDay wrote:
I've read them both. I felt that Altered Carbon was the stronger work, but that may be because of my personal preference for the tropes Morgan invoked for that tale.
Agreed. The plot just seemed... richer in Altered Carbon. More personal. Murder vs. treasure hunt is the stronger tale methinks.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus

Pongo
Gerbil Team Leader

Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:40 am

The list of Seven, by Mark Frost.

I'm reading if for the 2nd time.
:lol:
All the Devil requires is Acquiescence. Not struggle, not conflict. Acquiescence.

Nitrodist
Grand Gerbil Poohbah

Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:24 am

Market Forces by Richard Morgan... when I should actually be reading Calculus for Engineers by Tim... something...

[SDG]Mantis
Gerbil XP

Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:26 am

Just finished:

Little Fuzzy, by H. Beam Piper
Best of Jim Baen's Universe 2006 (short story collection)
Fleet of Worlds by Larry Niven and Edward M. Lerner

Reading now:

A New World, Book 3 of Age of Discovery by Michael Stackpole

drsauced
Gerbil Jedi

Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:04 pm

Potter V now. Just finished The Road by Cormack McCarthy. I'm not sure if I liked it, but it sure was vivid. Read PKD's A Scanner Darkly awhile ago after having seen the movie... three times. Back to back. I dunno, I thought the movie captured a lot of the feel (and you get to see Wynona's boobies) of the book, even though the book was by far much darker than the movie. It was the darkest thing I'd read in years, though.
Calm seas never made a skilled mariner. But, sadly I'm an A's fan.

Concordia
Gerbil First Class

Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:40 pm

Just finished reading The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory, now I've started reading The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler.

king_kilr
Maximum Gerbil

Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:00 am

My dad just gave my a WSJ article on the value of IT people, about to sit down and read it.
Damn the torpedoes , full speed ahead.

AMD X2 4200+, Asus A8N-E, 3GBs of RAM, 7900GS