Winter weather

Hang out, sip some ice tea, and shoot the breeze with TR regulars.

Moderators: emkubed, Captain Ned

Re: Winter weather

Postposted on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:10 pm

Hi ho. ( Kurt Vonnegut's reaction to the bombing of Dresden} So this is global warming in action, I hope you understand.
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Postposted on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:16 pm

The Daily Show ripped Atlanta a new one. I was far more gentle. ;)
Fuji X-E1 Leica Elmar 135 4 XF60mm 2.4 Macro | Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8
http://carnagepro.com
"Everything ... they eat everything, and fear is their bacon bits."
PenGun
Gerbil Elite

Re: Atlanta shut down by 3 inches of snow.

Postposted on Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:51 pm

keltor wrote:You (PenGun) also probably drive winter tires year round, and probably sport studded tires during the winter, plus trucks are allowed chains - and your road designs are different to help cut down on ice sheeting. I've driven pretty much all over and can say that I'm not a big fan of snow anywhere where they get a lot of flooding, because a little bit of snow becomes a gigantic sheet of ice.

As a Canadian who lived in Edmonton, Calgary, and the interior of British Columbia, it was very rare until the last handful of years that people put on winter or snow tires on their cars in the winter.

Chains are illegal except on logging roads, and studded tires are illegal in most provinces except maybe parts of Quebec and Ontario (maybe Manitoba?) and of course the northern provinces closer to the arctic circle.

Cars sold here come with all-season tires. That's it.

I've driven 100 km/hr on the highway in a raging blizzard 1 hour after sunset, which was very stupid of me as I could not see the road - I used the tree line as my guide. I don't think I'll ever do that stunt again. These were on a Honda Accord with no traction control and Toyo Ultra tires. The scariest thing was that a 4x4 truck passed me at 130 km/hr on that same isolated stretch of invisible road! And I thought *I* was the crazy one.

It boggles my mind that people would drive with summer tires in the 1970s with rear-wheel drive behemoths in the winter...with no airbags and wearing no seat belts! It's almost like they were a different species in those days.
Rectal Prolapse
Gerbil

Postposted on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:03 pm

Coming from a northern city, it's amusing to think that the entire problem was caused by southerners not knowing how to drive in 2" of snow, but that really wasn't the case (though I'm sure it didn't help). The problem was the local government deciding to release ALL the children from the schools, and ALL the workers from private and government jobs at the exact same time. This, in a city which already has some of the worst traffic in the nation. It was almost criminally stupid.
i5 2500k - P67 - GTX660 - 840 Pro 256GB - Xonar Essence STX - Senn HD595's
The Egg
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:49 pm

chuckula wrote:Don't exaggerate the situation!

It was more like 2" of snow that did it.

Yessss....but it was a REALLY vicious tough 2". Actually about 2"-3" of the prettiest white powder. My son had great fun sledding and my office closed for three days.

And BTW--after Denver, Atlanta is the second-highest city above sea level. It is built on a ridge and the entire city is hills. When it ices you have to stay put.
Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit-Intel i7 965-Noctua NH-C12P-ASUS P6T Deluxe-Patriot Viper Xtreme 24GB DDR3 1600-SanDisk 240GB SSD-2 WD Velociraptors 300GB-WD RE3 1TB -Radeon 6970-ASUS Xonar Essence -LG GBW-H20L Blu-ray-Thermaltake W0133RU 1200W-CoolerMaster CM 832
Neutronbeam
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:23 am

Neutronbeam wrote:And BTW--after Denver, Atlanta is the second-highest city above sea level. It is built on a ridge and the entire city is hills. When it ices you have to stay put.

Not quite.

http://www.altimeters.net/cityaltitudes.html
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:45 am

LOL.

I did not know that Colorado Springs was higher than Denver. Learned something new today and the sun isn't even up yet.
BIF
Gerbil Jedi
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:32 am

So yesterday's "snow flurries" turned into six inches of ultra-light powder, and then the cold arrived on schedule. -8F right now and today's high is supposed to be around 3F. They say we will return to the double digits going into the weekend.
He who laughs last, laughs first next time.
ludi
Gerbil Elder

Postposted on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:04 pm

We had a lot of snow last night in DC, but by morning the streets were clear. It's above freezing, it's raining, and there's lots of running water outside. I dug my car out, but I'm the only one on the block who did so. Perhaps digging the car out after each bout of snow is a northern ritual. More snow coming tonight, and the schools are closed today and tomorrow.

This gives me ample opportunity to cook dinner. Pacific Whiting with a worcestershire & tomato sauce, with mashed potatoes and yams. Yum.
Sheep Rustlers in the sky! <S> Slapt | <S> FUI | Air Warrior II/III
FireGryphon
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:27 pm

Rectal Prolapse wrote:Chains are illegal except on logging roads, and studded tires are illegal in most provinces except maybe parts of Quebec and Ontario (maybe Manitoba?) and of course the northern provinces closer to the arctic circle.

Cars sold here come with all-season tires. That's it.

Chains and studs are illegal on roads in Ontario.

I seem to remember that Quebec is the same.
Quebec has a winter tire law that makes them mandatory for Quebec registered cars.
Arvald
Gerbil XP
Silver subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:41 pm

Arvald wrote:Quebec has a winter tire law that makes them mandatory for Quebec registered cars.

They need the Snow & Mountain symbol.

http://tires.about.com/od/understanding ... wflake.htm

Never been there to prove, but various fora claim that if you've got all 4 on proper snows (i.e. with symbol) and are driving an AWD vehicle, the chain requirement may be waived.
It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them. Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:32 pm

We got 16 inches or so here in Central VA. It's been lovely, though my camera broke last night, so I had to go out with my film camera and phone.
Lenovo W520
IBM dx340
Nokia Lumia 928
Sony a7 with far too many lenses to list or even count
lonleyppl
Gerbil XP

Postposted on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:24 pm

Well, the snowmobilers are loving all of the fresh powder. I can hear their 2-stroke serenade as they play in the sand pits a mile or so behind my house.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:06 am

We got rain, ice, and wet, heavy snow last night. When I left the building, one of the trees had broken in two different locations. I might try to post pictures later.

I also slipped and fell right on my ass walking into work. This winter can go terroize the southern hemisphere any time it wants.
Damage wrote:Don't try to game the requirements by posting everywhere, guys, or I'll nuke you from space.

-Probably the best Damage quote ever.
superjawes
Graphmaster Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:02 am

Well, we're supposed to get 12"-18" of wet snow between today & tomorrow. However, daughter's school called a pre-emptive snow day, which means the storm will fizzle to nothing.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:34 pm

The Seven Day Forecast. When Canadian winters drag on, government meteorologists go above and beyond to look out for their fellow Canadian's mental health.
cynan
Gerbil Elite
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:43 pm

A fresh 20" of Global Warming in the yard. Thankfully the wet/heavy didn't take place and it's powder, but I've still got a buried car to deal with.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:46 pm

cynan wrote:The Seven Day Forecast. When Canadian winters drag on, government meteorologists go above and beyond to look out for their fellow Canadian's mental health.

I miss the glory days of Royal Canadian Air Farce and This Hour Has 22 Minutes. CBC/CTV in the cable plan is one of the benefits of living but 45 miles from the border.
Captain Ned
Global Moderator
Gold subscriber

Postposted on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:35 pm

Ugh. This is what happens when you drop the groundhog.
If there is one thing a remote-controlled, silent and unseeable surveillance/killing machine needs, it’s more whimsy. -- Marcus
Darkmage
Darth Gerbil
Gold subscriber

Previous

Return to The Back Porch